Dear Readers, Daily Current Affairs News Updates about the National and International events were listed here. Read Current Affairs here and stay updated with current news. Candidates those who are preparing for IBPS/SBI/PO/Clerk exam and all other competitive exams can use this and try Current Affairs Quiz to test your knowledge level.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: DAYS
Indian Coast Guard celebrated its Foundation Day
- Indian Coast Guard has celebrated its raising day on 1 Feb. ICG is an armed force that protects India’s maritime interests and enforces maritime law, with jurisdiction over the territorial waters of India, including its contiguous zone and exclusive economic zone.
- The Coast Guard came into being in 1977. It operates under Ministry of Defence. It works in close cooperation with the Indian Navy, and the Department of Fisheries.
World Wetlands Day
- Celebrated annually on 2 February, World Wetlands Day aims to raise global awareness about the vital role of wetlands for people and planet.
- The Day also marks the date of the adoption of the Convention on Wetlands on 2 February 1971, in the Iranian city of Ramsar on the shores of the Caspian Sea.
- The theme for 2020 WWD is “Wetlands and Biodiversity”.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: NATIONAL
Union HRD Minister chairs the meeting of the Indian National Commission For Cooperation (INCCU) with UNESCO in New Delhi
- Union Human Resource Development Minister Shri Ramesh Pokhriyal ‘Nishank’ chaired the meeting of the Indian National Commission for Cooperation with UNESCO (INCCU) in New Delhi .
- Minister of State for HRD Shri Sanjay Dhotre was also present at the meeting. The Representative of India to the Executive Board of UNESCO, Shri J.S Rajput, Secretary HRD cum Secretary General of INCCU, Shri Amit Khare, members of the INCCU and senior officials of the Ministry were also present on the occasion.
- The membership of National Commission consists of members of five Sub Commissions namely, Sub Commission for (i) Education (ii) Natural Sciences (iii) Social Sciences (iv) Communication (v) Culture. The members of the Sub Commissions briefed the chair about the activities carried out by their respective Sub Commissions.
Prez Kovind to inaugurate 34th Surajkund Mela
- President Ram Nath Kovind will visit Haryana to inaugurate the 34th Surajkund International Crafts Mela at Faridabad.
- The year, partner country in the fair is Uzbekistan and Himachal Pradesh is the theme-state.
- The Surajkund International Crafts Mela is being organized since 1987 to showcase the richness and diversity of handicrafts, handlooms and cultural heritage of India.
Union Budget proposes 16-point action plan to boost agriculture & farmers’ welfare
- Union Budget has proposed a 16-point action plan to boost agriculture and farmers welfare and doubling farmers’ income by It also seeks to double farmers’ income by 2022. Finance Minister, the budget is aimed at boosting the income of people and enhancing their purchasing power.
- Comprehensive measures for 100 water-stressed districts have also been proposed in the Budget. Meanwhile, agricultural credit target has been set at 15 lakh crore rupees.
- Twenty lakh farmers will be provided funds for setting up standalone solar pumps. Farmers will also be allowed to set up solar units on barren and fallow lands and supply power to grids. Youth and fishery extension work will be enabled by rural youth as Sagar Mitras, forming 500 fish farmer producing organizations.
- Sitharaman stated, Indian Railways will set up Kisan Rail through PPP arrangement for transportation of perishable goods. She added that Krishi UDAN will be launched by Civil Aviation Ministry on international and national routes.
- It will improve value realization in North East and tribal districts. The Finance Minister further added , financing on Negotiable Warehousing Receipts will be integrated with e- National Agricultural Market.
- NABARD Refinancing Scheme will be further expanded, and agri credit target for the year 2020-21 has been set at 15 lakh crore rupees.
Country’s first special security team for RBI currency chests in Bihar
- In a first of its kind initiative in the country, Bihar’s Home Guard wing of armed police force, in association with the Reserve Bank of India (RBI), jointly constituted a Special Security Team (SST) with 440 specially trained Home Guard jawans in Bihar
- The trained cops of this Special Security Team would be deputed for the safety of RBI’s currency chests within Bihar’s 16 more or less extremist activity-affected districts.
- Director General (DG) of Bihar’s Home Guard Rakesh Kumar Mishra accompanied by deputy general manager (security) of RBI Prashant Kumar Dayal, flagged off the first batch of 440 specially trained HG jawans in different districts. An integrated security duty is being developed with RBI for the currency chest security by trained jawans of HM.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: INTERNATIONAL
Somalia declares national emergency following locust infestation sweeping Horn of Africa
- Somalia has declared a national emergency following locust infestation sweeping the Horn of Africa, as insects devastate food supplies in one of the poorest and most vulnerable regions in the world.
- Food sources for people and their livestock are at risk.
- Experts say the locust swarms are the result of extreme weather swings. Somalia’s declaration — the first country in the region to do so — is aimed at boosting national efforts in tackling the hungry insects.
- According to the regional Food Security and Nutrition Working Group, East Africa is already experiencing a high degree of food insecurity, with over 19 million people facing acute hunger.
- There have been six major desert locust plagues in the 1900s, the last of which was in 1987-89. The last major upsurge was in 2003-05.
About Somalia :
- Capital: Mogadishu
- Currency: Somali shilling
- President : Mohamed Abdullahi Mohamed
India, Maldives sign five MoUs for establishing Addu Tourism zone
- India and Maldives signed five MoUs for establishing the Addu Tourism zone in five islands of Addu atoll at a cost of 2.49 million dollars.
- The MOUs were signed between the High Commissioner of India Sunjay Sudhir, Minister of Foreign Affairs Abdulla Shahid and Addu City Council.
- A 6th MoU to set up a bottled water plant in Hoarafushi was also signed. All six projects are grant projects falling under India’s High Impact Community Development Scheme (HICDP).
- These projects are driven by the needs of communities on the islands.
- Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina inaugurates month long Ekushey Book Fair
- Capital: Malé
- Currency: Maldivian rufiyaa
- President : Ibrahim Mohamed Solih
Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina of Bangladesh inaugurated the month long Ekushey Book fair at the Bangla Academy premises in Dhaka.
- Ekushey Book Fair is the biggest and longest book fair of It is organised every year in February commemorating the martyrs of the language movement during which eight people laid down their lives on February 21, 1952 for establishing Bangla as the official language of the then East Pakistan.
- A minute’s silence was observed before the inaugural ceremony to pay respect the martyrs of the language movement.
- The Prime Minister presented the Bangla Academy literary award 2019 to ten eminent poets and writers on this occasion.
- She also unveiled the cover of a book ‘Amar Dekha Naya Chin’– The New China as I saw, written by Bangabandhu Sheikh Mujibur Rahman.
India send relief supplies to cyclone-hit Madagascar using its naval ship INS Airavat
- India has sent relief supplies to cyclone-hit Madagascar using its naval ship INS Airavat.
- Madagascar has been hit by a cyclone and there has been heavy flooding and landslides since last month, causing loss of lives and displacement of a number of people.
- Indian Navy launched operation Vanilla to provide humanitarian assistance and disaster relief at Madagascar.
About Madagascar :
- Capital: Antananarivo
- Currency: Malagasy ariary
- President : Andry rajoelina
Maldives rejoins Commonwealth
- The Maldives has once again become a member of the Commonwealth of nations. President Ibrahim Mohamed Solih made the announcement fulfilling one of his key presidential pledges.
- The Commonwealth Secretary-General, Patricia Scotland, confirmed Maldives’ reinstatement into the organization as its 54th member state. The Maldives first became a member of the Commonwealth in 1982 but former President Abdulla Yameen decided to leave it in October 2016, amid mounting pressure from the group over corruption and deteriorating human rights.
- President Solih’s cabinet passed to rejoin the organization, shortly after assuming office in November 2018.
- President stated that the Maldives shall long strive to uphold the Commonwealth’s values of democracy and human rights, adding that rejoining the organization is symbolic of the administration’s commitment to engage with the international community and to deliver on domestic pledges to citizens in good faith.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: BANKING AND FINANCE
Gross GST collection for January cross Rs 1 lakh cr
- Ahead of the Budget presentation, a remarkable growth in GST collection for last month has been reported by Finance Ministry. GST revenues during the month of January from domestic transactions showed a growth of 12% over the revenue during the month last year.
- Taking into account the IGST collected from imports of goods, total revenue during January this year has increased. It has gone up by 8% in comparison to revenue during same time last year.
- This is the sixth time during the current financial year that GST revenue has crossed 1 lakh crore
E-commerce companies to collect 1 per cent TDS from sellers under new levy
- The government proposed a new levy of one per cent TDS (tax deducted at source) on e-commerce transactions, a move that could increase burden on sellers on such platforms.
- In order to widen and deepen the tax net by bringing participants of e-commerce (sellers) within tax net, it is proposed to insert a new section 194-O in the Act so as to provide for a new levy of TDS at the rate of one per cent, as per 2020-21 Budget documents.
- Also, consequential amendments are being proposed in section 197 (for lower TDS), in section 204 (to define person responsible for paying any sum) and in section 206AA (to provide for tax deduction at 5 per cent in non-PAN/Aadhaar cases).
- The amendment will take effect from April 1, 2020.
- The document explained that e-commerce operator — an entity owning, operating or managing the digital platform — will have to deduct one per cent TDS on the gross amount of sales or service or both.
- E-commerce companies were yet to respond on queries seeking inputs on the levy.
- This provision will not apply in cases where the seller’s gross amount of sales during the previous year through the e-commerce operator is less than Rs 5 lakh and has furnished his PAN or Aadhaar number.
Government allocates Rs 100 crore to host G-20 Presidency in 2022
- Finance Minister Nirmala Sitharaman stated India will host the G-20 Presidency in 2022 and Rs 100 crore has been allocated for this purpose.
- During this meeting, India would be able to drive the global economic and development agenda, the Finance Minister stated while presenting the Budget for 2020-21 in Parliament.
- India will host G-20 Presidency in the year 2022 – the year of 75th anniversary of independence of Indian Nation.
- India would be able to drive considerably the global economic and development agenda during this presidency.
- The G20 (or Group of Twenty) is an international forum for the governments and central bank governors from 19 countries and the European Union (EU).
About G20 :
- Leader: Salman of Saudi Arabia (2020)
- Chairman: King Salman bin Abdulaziz Al Saud (2020)
- Founded: 26 September 1999
- Venue of G20: 2019: Japan
- 2020: Saudi Arabia
- 2021: Italy
- 2022: india
Bank of Baroda signed pact with CARE Ratings to assess the credit quality of SMEs
- State-owned Bank of Baroda stated it has signed a pact with Care Ratings to assess credit quality of its small and medium enterprises (SME) customers.
- The rating agency will evaluate the credit quality of existing and prospective SME customers of the bank.
- The biggest challenge for SMEs has been the availability of finance,.
- If they don’t receive financial support from banks, they typically tend to fall back on either the promoter’s own savings or borrowings from family and friends.
- Care Ratings will assess the SMEs by processing and analyzing structured, unstructured and new data streams.
- It will also indicate the relative creditworthiness of SMEs based on an eight-point scale, where 1 indicates the highest creditworthiness and 8 – poor creditworthiness.
- Increased digitalisation of the economy, the availability of new data sources such as the GST, in addition to traditional financial data and non-traditional data sources, allow for new approach for grading of SMEs. This MoU with Bank of Baroda is a step in this direction.
About Bank of Baroda :
- Chairman :Hasmukh Adhia
- Head quarters: vadodara, Gujarat
- MD & CEO :Sanjiv Chada
CURRENT AFFAIRS: STATES
Andhra govt launches doorstep pension distribution scheme
- Andhra Pradesh Government has initiated a doorstep pension delivery scheme across the state, under which, various welfare pensions is being delivered at the doorstep of the pensioners.
- “YSR Pension Kanuka” initiative to end the struggles of old people who find it difficult to go to the pension office.
- Also, the age for old age pensioners (OAP) has been reduced from 65 to 60 years. With the increase in the pensioners, the list of beneficiaries has gone up to 54.64 lakh this year.
- The Disabled Pensions (DP) will be Rs 3,000 per month, while the CKDU/Dialysis Pensions will receive Rs 5,000 to Rs 10,000 per month.
- The volunteers equipped with smartphones and with biometric information of the beneficiaries will deliver the pension at the doorsteps for greater transparency.
About Andhra Pradesh(AP)
- Governor- Biswabhusan Harichandan.
- Chief minister- Yeduguri Sandinti Jaganmohan Reddy.
Recent Schemes launched by AP
- AP CM YS Jagan has ordered officials to change the name of NTR Vaidya Seva Yojana as Dr. YSR Aarogyasri Scheme. This scheme will provide universal health coverage to lower and middle class people & its official website is ysraarogyasri.ap.gov.in.
- AP Jagananna Amma Vodi Scheme as part of “Navaratnalu”. To avail scheme benefits, the student must belong to below poverty line (BPL) household irrespective of caste, creed, religion and region.
- Andhra Pradesh govt. has launched YSR Kapu Nestam Scheme 2019 to benefit women.
- Andhra Pradesh govt. has started a new YSR Law Nestham Scheme in FY 2019-20. CM Jagan Mohan Reddy has launch this scheme on 3rd December 2019 at the occasion of National Lawyers Day. All the junior advocates and lawyers will get Rs. 5,000 per month as stipend.
- AP YSR Arogya Asara Scheme 2019 to provide relief to poor patients as part of health scheme.
- Andhra Pradesh govt. has approved Jagananna Vasathi Deevena Scheme on 27 November 2019. This scheme will help ITI / Polytechnic / Degree students with their hostel and mess charges in institutions.
- Under AP YSR Matsyakara Nestham Scheme 2019, financial assistance to fishermen operating mechanised, motorised and non-motorised fishing nets will be enhanced.
Mumbai’s favourite arts festival Kala Ghoda kicks off
- Mumbai’s favourite arts festival Kala Ghoda kicked off. In its 21st edition, this year the annual arts extravaganza is packed with a bigger, tighter selection of vibrant events.
- For the next nine days, Mumbaikars have the opportunity to enjoy host of festivities including contemporary artworks, talks by esteemed names in the city and performances across music, theatre and stand-up comedy and much more on the streets of South Mumbai.
Festivals in News
- RashtriyaSanskritiMahotsav- Madhya Pradesh
- Shirui Lilly Festival- Manipur
- Bali Jatra- Odisha
- Ladakh Literature Festival- Ladakh
- Youth festival Sangam- Jammu and Kashmir
- Chhath Festival – Bihar
- India International Science Festival- Kolkata
- BalSangam Festival- New Delhi
CURRENT AFFAIRS: APPOINTMENTS AND RESIGNATION
Mohammed Tawfik Allawi named as new prime minister of Iraq
- Mohammed Tawfik Allawi has been named as the new prime minister of Iraq.
- The former communications minister was named by President Barham Salih as the country’s new prime minister.
- Allawi succeeds Adel Abdel Mahdi, who resigned two-months ago due to public protest.
- Capital- Baghdad
- Currency- Dinar
Canara Bank MD, CEO R A Sankara Narayanan retires
- Public sector lender Canara Bank Managing Director and CEO R A Sankara Narayanan has retired.
- Narayanan attains the age of “superannuation”
About Canara Bank
- HQ- Bengaluru, Karnataka
- Tagline -“Together we Can”
M Ajith Kumar IRS appointed as new CBIC Chairman
- The Government of India appointed M Ajit Kumar IRS (C&CE 84) as chairman of the Central Board of Indirect Taxes and Customs (CBIC).
- The new Chairman’s immediate responsibilities will include accelerating the Goods and Services Tax (GST) revenues and to deal with the changes introduced in customs duties in the Union Budget for 2020.
Abidali Neemuchwala quits as Wipro CEO and MD
- Abidali Z Neemuchwala has quit as the chief executive officer and managing director of Wipro, the IT services company.
- Neemuchwala is leaving due to “family commitments” and will continue to hold office until a successor is appointed.
Lt Gen Y K Joshi takes over as GOC-in-C Northern Command
- Lieutenant General YK Joshi took over as General Officer Commanding-in-Chief of Northern Command at Udhampur .
- Before assuming the charge, he visited “Dhruva War Memorial“. He paid tribute to martyrs who have sacrificed their lives under the Northern Command since 1972.
- Gen Joshi commanded 13 JAK RIF in Operation VIJAY and PARAKRAM. Nicknamed ‘Joe‘, he also displayed outstanding leadership during the Kargil war.
Gopal Baglay appointed Indian High Commissioner to Sri Lanka
- Seasoned diplomat Gopal Baglay was appointed India’s High Commissioner to Sri Lanka. A 1992-batch officer of Indian Foreign Service, Baglay succeeds Taranjit Singh Sandhu in Sri Lanka.
- Sandhu has been appointed Indian Ambassador to the US. Baglay is currently serving at the Prime Minister’s Office.
- Baglay has held many key positions including spokesperson of the MEA and Deputy High Commissioner of India to Pakistan.
- He had also handled the sensitive PAI (Pakistan-Afghanistan-Iran) division in the MEA.
Pramod Agrawal takes over as Coal India chairman
- Pramod Agrawal assumed charge as the new chairman and managing director of Coal India
- Prior to this appointment, Agrawal, a 1991 batch IAS officer, was principal secretary for departments of technical education, skill development and labour of the Madhya Pradesh
- He also served as principal secretary for urban development and housing department in Madhya Pradesh.
- He took over after A K Jha retired as the CIL chairman on January 31.
- The state-run miner had a target to produce 660 million tonnes of coal in 2019-20 as against 607 million tonnes produced in the last fiscal.
- In January, the miner posted an over 10 per cent on- year growth in production.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: AWARDS AND HONOURS
Waheeda Rehman to be conferred MP govt’s Kishore Kumar Samman
- Noted yesteryear actor Waheeda Rehman will be conferred the Madhya Pradesh government’s National Kishore Kumar Samman.
- Rehman, one of Hindi film industry’s most successful leading ladies with a string of box office hits and several awards.
- The award, which carries a Rs 2 lakh cash prize and citation, could not be given to Rehman during a function held in October last year as the actor was unwell.
Vinod Shukla bags first Mathrubhumi Book of the Year award
- Noted Hindi poet-novelist and Sahitya Akademi honouree Vinod Kumar Shukla has bagged the inaugural Mathrubhumi Book of the Year award for his translated book “Blue Is Like Blue“.
- The stories in “Blue Is Like Blue”, translated into English by Arvind Krishna Mehrotra and Sara Rai, deal with common people and their daily struggles.
- His book, published under HarperCollins.
- This year’s jury comprised Shashi Tharoor, Chandrashekhara Kambara and Sumana Roy.
ISRO announces it is preparing low-cost satellite launch vehicles
- The Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO) has announced that it is preparing low-cost satellite launch vehicles costing around 30-35 crores rupees each, which can put into orbit satellites weighing 500 kgs.
- The first such launch is expected to take place in the next four months from the country.
- Deputy Director of Vikram Sarabhai Space Centre, Haridas T V stated that this capability will give ISRO a big commercial boost as it will be able to cater to micro, mini and medium segments of the market.
- Haridas also stated that ISRO has earmarked 1,600 million Dollars for launch vehicles of which 870 million Dollars will be for PSLV and the remaining for GSLV.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: SPORTS
Australian Open: Novak Djokovic wins his record 8th Men’s singles title
- In tennis, Serbia’s Novak Djokovic won his record 8th Men’s singles title in Australian Open at Rod Laver Arena in Melbourne
- He beat first-time Australian Open finalist Dominic Thiem of Austria.
- The men’s doubles title was clinched by Joe Salisbury of UK and American Rajeev Ram who beat Australia’s Luke Saville and Max Purcell.
Australian Open: American Sofia Kenin wins her first Grand Slam title
- In Tennis, American Sofia Kenin won her first Grand Slam title with victory over Spain’s Garbine Muguruza at the Australian Open.
- Kenin won 4-6, 6-2, 6-2 against two-time major winner Muguruza in Melbourne.
- Kenin, who turned 21 in November, is the youngest Australian Open champion since Russian Maria Sharapova in 2008.
Kohli continues to top ICC Test batsmen’s ranking, Rahane slips
- Indian Captain Virat Kohli continued to top the ICC Test batsmen’s ranking but his deputy Ajinkya Rahane slipped a place to the ninth
- Kohli has 928 points, 17 more than second-placed Australian run-machine Steve Smith. Cheteshwar Pujara also remained in sixth place with 791 points. Rahane has 759 points.
- India pace spearhead Jasprit Bumrah was the best-placed Indian in the bowlers’ ranking at sixth spot with 794 points, while spinner Ravichandran Ashwin was placed eighth. Seamer Mohammed Shami was the third Indian in the top 10, improving a spot to be placed in the ninth position.
- In the all-rounders ranking, Ravindra Jadeja remained static at the third place with 406 points, while Ashwin improved a place to capture the fourth position with 308 points.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: OBITUARY
Veteran Odia poet Rabi Singh passes away
- Renowned Odia poet Rabi Singh passed away. He was 89.
- The revolutionary poet had received many awards for his contribution to Odia literature. He received Atibadi Jagannath Das Samman in the year 2017.
- ”Patha Prantara Kabita”, ”Charama Patra”, ”Lal Pagoda ra Preta O Anya Kabita”, ”Bhrukuti”, ”Bidirna”, ”Padatika”, ”Apritikara Kabita”, ”Bishabani”, ”Durgama Giri”, ”Jhada”, ”Sarbahara” and ”Banya” were some of the collections of his poetry.
Punjabi novelist and ‘writer of movements’ Jaswant Singh Kanwal passes away
- Noted Punjabi novelist Jaswant Singh Kanwal passed away. He was 100.
- Known as the ‘writer of movements’ his works on the Naxalbari (Left), Muzara Lehar (tenancy) and Khalistan (separatist) movements in Punjab, Kanwal penned about 100 books.
- He received the Sahitya Akademi Award for his novel Taushali Di Hanso in 1997.
Eminent Punjabi novelist Dalip Kaur Tiwana passes away
- Noted Punjabi novelist Dalip Kaur Tiwana passed away after a brief illness. She was 84.
- Known for ”Teeli da Nishaan” and ”Sooraj te Samandar”, Tiwana was also a former president of the Punjabi Sahit Akademi.
- She won Padma Shri in 2004 for literature and education.
DAILY CA 01ST FEB
- Economic Survey 2020
- Indian Railways implementing Automatic Identification and Data Collection (AIDC) of Rolling Stock (RFID Project)
- First Banana Container Train sent to JNPT for Exports
- TN CM unveils Direct CTO scheme for green category industries
- ICICI Bank Launches iBox, a 24X7 Self-Service Delivery Facility for Customers
- Indian Bank launches tailor made credit products for textile
- Kashmiri journalist Yusuf Jameel wins PEN Gauri Lankesh Award for 2019-’20
- Rajnath Singh at 12th South Asia Conference on “India’s Neighbourhood First’ Policy: Regional Perceptions”
- IAF’s AN-32 plane with bio-jet fuel takes off from Leh airfield
- Bengali Novel “Calcutta Nights”
- Bengaluru has the worst traffic in the world
- Telangana tops country in sustainable growth goals: UN Development Programme
- India-Bangladesh joint military exercise at Umroi from Feb 3
- Bala Devi 1st Indian woman to become a professional footballer after being signed by Rangers FC
- Flame-Throated Bulbul ‘Rubigula’ official mascot for Goa 2020 National Games
- Veteran social activist and feminist writer Vidya Bal passes away
- Former Indian basketball team captain Matthew Satya Babu passes away
- Noted Urdu poet Ajmal Sultanpuri passes away
DAILY CA 02ND AND 3RD FEB
- Indian Coast Guard celebrated its Foundation Day in feb 1
- World Wetlands Day-2nd feb
- Union HRD Minister chairs the meeting of the Indian National Commission For Cooperation (INCCU) with UNESCO in New Delhi
- Prez Kovind to inaugurate 34th Surajkund Mela
- Union Budget proposes 16-point action plan to boost agriculture & farmers’ welfare
- Country’s first special security team for RBI currency chests in Bihar
- Somalia declares national emergency following locust infestation sweeping Horn of Africa
- India, Maldives sign five MoUs for establishing Addu Tourism zone
- Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina of Bangladesh inaugurated the month long Ekushey Book fair at the Bangla Academy premises in Dhaka.
- Maldives rejoins Commonwealth
- India send relief supplies to cyclone-hit Madagascar using its naval ship INS Airavat
- Gross GST collection for January cross Rs 1 lakh cr
- E-commerce companies to collect 1 per cent TDS from sellers under new levy
- Government allocates Rs 100 crore to host G-20 Presidency in 2022
- Bank of Baroda signed pact with CARE Ratings to assess the credit quality of SMEs
- Andhra govt launches doorstep pension distribution scheme
- Mumbai’s favourite arts festival Kala Ghoda kicks off
- Mohammed Tawfik Allawi named as new prime minister of Iraq
- Canara Bank MD, CEO R A Sankara Narayanan retires
- M Ajith Kumar IRS appointed as new CBIC Chairman
- Abidali Neemuchwala quits as Wipro CEO and MD
- Lt Gen Y K Joshi takes over as GOC-in-C Northern Command
- Gopal Baglay appointed Indian High Commissioner to Sri Lanka
- Pramod Agrawal takes over as Coal India chairman
- Waheeda Rehman to be conferred MP govt’s Kishore Kumar Samman
- Vinod Shukla bags first Mathrubhumi Book of the Year award
- ISRO announces it is preparing low-cost satellite launch vehicles
- Australian Open: Novak Djokovic wins his record 8th Men’s singles title
- Australian Open: American Sofia Kenin wins her first Grand Slam title
- Kohli continues to top ICC Test batsmen’s ranking, Rahane slips
- Veteran Odia poet Rabi Singh passes away
- Eminent Punjabi novelist Dalip Kaur Tiwana passes away
- Punjabi novelist and ‘writer of movements’ Jaswant Singh Kanwal passes away