Dear Readers, Daily Current Affairs News Updates about the National and International events were listed here. Read Current Affairs here and stay updated with current news. Candidates those who are preparing for IBPS/SBI/PO/Clerk exam and all other competitive exams can use this and try Current Affairs Quiz to test your knowledge level.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: NATIONAL
IWD 2020: Thinlas Chorol sets up first women’s travel company in Ladakh
- The International Women’s Day will be celebrated on 8th of this month. Government has taken series of initiatives to empower women. People are using the #IWD 2020 and #BetiPadhaoDeshBadhao to share uplifting stories in the run up to International Women’s Day.
- In the Union Territory of Ladakh, Women have broken all the barriers and the dominance of men in the trekking arena. Once considered as the male dominated sector, trekking is now empowering rural women. It has transformed the life of many women from dependent to Independent.
- In Ladakh, a young woman Thinlas Chorol has introduced woman trekking guide in the male dominated trekking industry. To train the other women as trekking guide , she setup the first women’s travel company fully operated by women only.
- She conducts trekking through home stays in rural areas, which has also become a source in empowering rural women economically as the home stay is run by women. Home stay is an accommodation option for tourists and trekkers in which the guests are allowed to stay at their home. College goers also opting trekking guide as part time job to support their higher education and broaden their knowledge about world through trekkers.
- Recognizing her pioneering works in transforming rural women through trekking and entrepreneuring, Government of India has awarded her with Nari Shakti Puraskar and Women Transforming India.
Cabinet gives nod for FDI policy on civil aviation; NRIs can acquire up to 100% equity in Air India
- The Cabinet approved Foreign Direct Investment, FDI policy on civil aviation. Information and Broadcasting Minister Prakash Javadekar stated, FDI policy was amended to permit foreign investment in Air India.
- Non Resident Indians can acquire up to 100 per cent equity in Air India under automatic route. The Minister stated, earlier only 49 per cent were available for sale to NRIs but now they can purchase 100 per cent. He stated, India has become most favoured nation in FDI.
- Mr Javadekar stated, Government is proactively engaged to tackle the situation and the Prime Minister is himself monitoring the situation everyday. He stated, more then 6 lakh passengers have been screened at the airports so far.
About Air India:
- CEO: Pradeep Singh Kharola
- Headquarters: New Delhi
Cabinet gives nod to Companies Second Amendment Bill to enable Indian firms to list on foreign exchanges
- Union Cabinet has approved the Companies (Second Amendment) Bill, 2019 to amend the Companies Act, 2013. This will enable the listing of Indian companies on stock exchanges in foreign jurisdictions. The listing of Indian companies in foreign stock exchanges is expected to increase the competitiveness of Indian companies in terms of access to capital, broader investor base and better valuations.
- The framework for enabling such listing under the foreign exchange and securities laws would be finalised by the Ministry of Finance in consultation with Ministry of Corporate Affairs, Reserve Bank of India and the Securities and Exchange Board of India.
- Finance Minister Nirmala Sitharaman stated, the priority is to remove criminality under the Act and the Bill will further ease of living for law abiding corporates. She stated, 72 changes brought in the Bill will lead to further declogging of the criminal justice system in the country.
- The Minister stated, re-categorisation of 23 offences have been done in the new Bill. In another decision, the cabinet approved mega consolidation of ten Public Sector Banks into four with effect from 1st of next month. Ms Sitharaman stated, the amalgamation will enable creation of digitally driven consolidated banks with global heft and business synergies.
Centre launches second phase of Swachh Bharat Mission (Grameen)
- The Centre has launched the second phase of the Swachh Bharat Mission (Grameen)- SBM(G) Phase-II. It will be implemented from 2020-2021 to 2024-2025 in a mission mode with an outlay of one lakh 40 thousand 881 crore rupees. Union Minister of Jal Shakti Gajendra Singh Shekhawat launched the second phase of the mission at a National Dissemination and Consultation workshop in New Delhi .
- The second phase will focus on sustaining the gains made under the programme in the last five years in terms of toilet access and usage, ensuring that no one is left behind. It will also ensure that effective solid and liquid waste management (SLWM) is instituted in every Gram Panchayat of the country.
- Mr Shekhawat lauded the enormous success of Phase-I of the SBM (G) and stated that the cabinet approval of Phase II is a great recognition to the signification achievements made under the mission. It will continue to generate employment and provide impetus to the rural economy through the construction of household toilets and community toilets.
- Union Minister released a study done by the UNICEF and Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation (BMGF) on the impact of the SBM(G) on rural women. The study titled Impact of the Swachh Bharat Mission (Grameen) on the convenience, safety and self-respect of women in rural India – surveyed 6,993 women across the 5 states in February this year. These states are Bihar, Madhya Pradesh, Maharashtra, Rajasthan and Uttar Pradesh. The survey indicated that the increased access to household toilets has led to the improvement in the Suvidha, Suraksha and Swabhimaan of women in rural India.
About Swachh bharat mission:
- Swachh Bharat Abhiyan or Clean India Mission was a nation-wide campaign from 2014 to 2019 to clean up the streets, roads and infrastructure of cities, towns, and rural areas.
- Launch year: 2014
- Launched by (prime minister): Narendra Modi
- Slogan: One step towards cleanliness
- Location: New Delhi
CURRENT AFFAIRS: INTERNATIONAL
Sri Lanka to lead science, technology and innovation sector in BIMSTEC
- Sri Lanka will lead the science, technology and innovation sector in the BIMSTEC and a facility for technology transfer is planned to be opened in the future. This was agreed during the 20th Session of the senior officials’ meeting chaired by Sri Lankan Foreign Secretary Ravinatha Aryasinha in Colombo .
- Foreign Secretary Aryasinha stated, Sri Lanka had sought to reinvigorate the 20-year-old organization since it assumed the chair last year. He stated, Sri Lanka had focused on the need for institutional building through the finalization of the BIMSTEC charter and the allocation of defined areas of cooperation among the member states.
- He added that Sri Lanka scheduled to hand over the chairmanship to Thailand later this year is keen for cooperation in the fields of trade, investment, technology, tourism and connectivity, ahead of the summit, scheduled later this year.
- The Bay of Bengal Initiative for Multi-Sectoral Technical and Economic Cooperation is an international organisation of seven nations of South Asia and South East Asia, housing 1.5 billion people and having a combined gross domestic product of $3.5 trillion.
- The BIMSTEC member states—Bangladesh, India, Myanmar, Sri Lanka, Thailand , Nepal and Bhutan —are among the countries dependent on the Bay of Bengal.
- Headquarters location: Dhaka, Bangladesh
- Founded: 6 June 1997
Luxembourg becomes first country to make all public transport free
- In an attempt to reduce traffic jams, Luxembourg has become the first country in the world to make all public transport free from February 29. This is the first time that the decision to offer free public transport has covered an entire country, the transport ministry stated.
- The decision has been observed in Luxembourg so as to bring down the congestion on streets. As a result of this decision, every person will be able to save around 100 euros ($110) per year.
- The free public transport system, however, does not include first-class travel tickets on trains and certain night bus services.
- People mostly travel in Luxembourg in their private cars while as per a survey conducted in 2018, bus is only used for 32 per cent of trips to work. Trains, on the other hand, account for 19 per cent.
- The reason for congestion on streets has also been attributed to the construction of a tram that often leads to traffic jams in Luxembourg. The construction work has been ongoing for several years. Although a section of the tram has been operating since 2017, the construction work will continue till the entire area plan is complete.
About Luxembourg :
- Capital: Luxembourg city
- Currency: Euro
- Prime Minister – Xavier Bettel
CURRENT AFFAIRS: BANKING AND FINANCE
RBI’s new measures will see banks’ dependence on CDs, TDs coming down
- The requirement of certificates of deposits (CDs) and term deposits (TDs) for banks will come down while their rates could see downward pressure in the wake of the Reserve Bank of India providing long-term funding at a fixed rate (current average rate 5.15 per cent) along with the relaxation in cash reserve ratio (CRR) for incremental loan book growth in certain segments, according to India Ratings (Ind-Ra).
- The recent measures announced by the RBI – provision of long-term funding via the long-term repo operation (LTRO) facility and limited CRR relaxation to encourage credit flow to the MSME (micro, small and medium enterprises) and consumer segments (auto and housing) – will encourage banks to extend credit to the retail and MSME segments, the credit rating agency stated.
- Ind-Ra believes the short-term requirement of funds for banks will further diminish amid a low demand for credit, but the Profit and Loss (P&L) impact of CRR relaxation is expected to be limited (₹600 crore per annum for the system for the next five years).
- “The impact of this measure could be more for banks with lending appetite, but is constrained by an unfavourable deposit profile. The only caveat here is that banks should not use the proceeds of this source towards investments in government securities.
- Under the LTRO facility, RBI provides one-year and three-year money to banks at the repo rate to improve transmission of changes in the repo rate to banks’ lending rates. CRR is the slice of deposit that banks have to park with the RBI. Currently, CRR is at 4 per cent of deposits. Banks don’t earn anything on CRR.
- The Reserve Bank of India is India’s central bank, which controls the issue and supply of the Indian rupee. RBI is the regulator of entire Banking in India. RBI plays an important part in the Development Strategy of the Government of India.
- Headquarters: Mumbai
- Founded: 1 April 1935, Kolkata
- Governor: Shaktikanta Das .There are four deputy governors B. P. Kanungo, N. S. Vishwanathan, Mahesh Kumar Jain, and Michael Patra.
ICICI Prudential AMC ties up Saraswat Co-op Bank to tap rural potential
- ICICI Prudential AMC has tied up with Saraswat Co-operative Bank, the largest in the urban co-operative banking space in India, to distribute its products with the bank’s customers.
- The tie-up Saraswat Co-operative Bank will offer investment products of ICICI Prudential Mutual Fund to its customers, through its 280 branches, spread across six States.
- ICICI Prudential Mutual Fund through this tie-up aims to increase its footprint, especially in smaller towns and cities and leverage on the bank’s over 100-year of presence in the country.
- Nimesh Shah, Managing Director and CEO, ICICI Prudential AMC, stated Saraswat Co-operative Bank customers will have a wider choice of financial products that may bring them closer to achieve their financial goals.
About ICICI Prudential Life Insurance:
- CEO: N. S. Kannan (19 Jun 2018–)
- Headquarters: Mumbai
About Saraswat Bank
- Saraswat bank is an urban co-operative banking institution based in Maharashtra, India and operating as a co-operative society since 1918. The Founding Members of the society were J.K. Parulkar as Chairman, Mr. N.B. Thakur as Vice Chairman, Mr. P.N. Warde as Secretary, and Mr. Shivram Gopal Rajadhyaksha as Treasurer.
- HQ- Mumbai, Maharashtra
CURRENT AFFAIRS: BUSINESS AND ECONOMY
IRDAI asks insurance companies to design policies to cover coronavirus
- Insurance Regulatory and Development Authority of India, IRDAI has asked insurers to expeditiously settle hospitalisation claims related to novel coronavirus disease under health policies.
- In a circular, the Regulator has instructed insurance companies to come out with policies to cover treatment costs for coronavirus infection.
- It stated, the costs of admissible medical expenses during the course of treatment including quarantine period, should be settled in accordance to the applicable terms and conditions. All the claims reported under COVID-19 will be thoroughly reviewed by review committee before repudiating the claims.
- Founded: 1999
- Headquarters: Hyderabad
- Chairperson: Subhash Chandra Khuntia
Microsoft, Accenture join to provide tech support to social enterprise startups
- Intending to help deepen the reach of entrepreneurs and start-ups that are focused on social impact and sustainability, the joint initiative by Microsoft and Accenture aims to provide hands-on support and technologies to social enterprises, helping them build scalable solutions and business models that can lead to more tangible and lasting benefits.
- Microsoft and Accenture’s collaboration is part of their shared vision to democratise access to impactful technology. Through the programme, Microsoft Research India and Accenture Labs will help social enterprise startups test and validate proof-of-concepts, conduct design thinking sessions to help them re-envision the impact of their solutions, and provide support in exploring and using Microsoft technologies.
- With a particular focus on the areas of agriculture, education and healthcare, the programme will initially engage with startups in Africa, the Middle East and South Asia, leveraging the MSR India Centre for Societal impact through cloud and AI.
- CEO: Satya Nadella
- Headquarters: Redmond, Washington, United States
- Founders: Bill Gates, Paul Allen
- CEO: Julie Sweet
- Headquarters: Dublin, Ireland
Zomato buys UberEats India for $206 million
- Ride-hailing major Uber sold its food delivery business in India to food-tech giant Zomato for $206 million according to the firm’s recent regulatory filings.
- Zomato had acquired UberEats India in January in an all-stock transaction with UberEats selling the business for a 99 per cent stake in the online food delivery business.
- Zomato, apart from the payout also reimbursed $35 million in goods and services tax to the US-based ride-hailing giant.
- The estimated fair value of the consideration received is $206 million, which includes the investment valued at $171 million and the $35 million of reimbursement of goods and services tax receivable from Zomato, Uber stated.
- The deal shows a significant cut in Zomato’s valuation which stood at over $3 billion in January with $150 million fresh investment in its latest funding round according to its regulatory filings.
- This could be disrupted by tech giant Amazon’s entry into food delivery services in India. Tech mogul and Amazon CEO Jeff Bezos recently partnered up with Infosys co-founder NR Narayana Murthy in a new joint venture-Prione Business Services to foray into India’s online food delivery market according to previous reports.
- CEO: Dara Khosrowshahi
- Founded: March 2009,
- Headquarters: San Francisco, California, United States
- CEO- Deepinder Goyal
- Headquarters: DLF Phase V, Gurugram, Haryana, India
- Founded: July 2008
CURRENT AFFAIRS: STATES
UP govt announces Rs 900 per month for stray cattle upkeep
- The Uttar Pradesh government has announced a grant of ₹900 per month for the upkeep of a stray cow to individuals who look after any such animal.
- The government feels that the announcement will help end the traffic menace caused by stray cattle roaming freely on roads, besides their proper care.
- Noida has two cow shelters and Greater Noida has one, which are inadequate to take care of stray cattle in the district.
- Medicines and vaccines are being sent to every district to eradicate common diseases in cattle and all of them will undergo ear-tagging so that it is known which animal has not received the medicine
- A scheme called “Nirashrit/Besahara Govansh Sahbhagita scheme (stray cattle scheme)” was approved by the state Cabinet in its meeting chaired by CM Yogi Adityanath
- India’s First War Memorial for Animals to Come up in Meerut
About Uttar Pradesh
- Capital– Lucknow
- CM -Yogi Adityanath.
- Governor– Anandiben Patel
Tripura government to provide Rs 5000 to eligible students for buying smartphone
- The Tripura government has decided to provide Rs 5000 to 14,608 students of the final year of the undergraduate level for buying Smartphone, a senior state minister stated .
- We have selected 14,608 students in the final year of undergratuate level in 38 educational institutions which include 22 government degree colleges of the state. They will be given Rs 5,000 each under the ‘Mukhyamantri Yuba Yogayog Yojana‘ scheme for buying a smartphone. The money would be directly sent to their bank accounts, he added.
- He stated, smartphone is helpful in opening up huge opportunities for developing skills, finding resources to enhance knowledge and availing employment opportunities.
- This will empower them digitally and help them leverage the advantages of an interconnected world, the minister added.
- Nath stated the scheme will be implemented from the financial year 2020-2021 and the benefit would be once in a lifetime.He added a total of Rs 7.30 crore would be spent on the scheme.
About Tripura :
- Capital: Agartala
- Governor: Ramesh Bais
- Chief minister: Biplab Kumar Deb
Student Health Card scheme for school children launched in J&K
- In Jammu and Kashmir, Lt. Governor G.C. Murmu launched Student Health Card scheme in Jammu. In his address Lt. Gov. stated that MidDay meal was launched for the needy school going children so that malnutrition can be prevented. He stated that now Student Health card scheme will also prove to be very beneficial because it will ensure regular checkup of school going children.
- The regular health checkup facility at school level will ensure good health of students. He further stated that the aim of this scheme is to ensure good health of every school going children and parents should be made aware about the benefits of this scheme. This programme was organised by Directorate of Mid Day Meal, School Education Department in association with National Health Mission at Teachers Bhavan Jammu.
About Jammu and Kashmir:
- Capital :Srinagar (Summer) , Jammu (Winter)
- Governor G.C. Murmu
CURRENT AFFAIRS: MOU
IIT Mandi Signs Deal with NABARD for Setting up Three FPOs in Himachal
- The Indian Institute of Technology (IIT), Mandi & Enabling Women of Kamand (EWOK) Society has inked a tripartite deal with the National Bank For Agriculture and Rural Development for setting up three Farmer Producer Organization in Mandi, Himachal Pradesh.
- NABARD has sanctioned an amount of Rs 35 lakhs to EWOK Society and IIT Mandi for 3 FPOs to be established in the next 3 years.
- EWOK, is an initiative of IIT Mandi Women’s Center to aid rural women set up small enterprises in 5 panchayats of Kataula, Katindhi, Navlaya, Batheri and Kamand in Mandi by giving them proper guidance, training & information.
- According to the Memorandum of Understanding signed between the three sides, IIT Mandi & EWOK Society will identify clusters to set up Farmer Producer Organizations, help establish and register the FPOs, train the CEO & Board of Directors of FPOs, besides making the business development plan & helping them in raising credit.
- Apart from establishing Farmer Producer Organizations, the institute will provide its knowledge in tourism, rural marts run by Self-Help Groups, engineering solutions for farm-friendly equipment, research on impact of climate change on agri incomes etc.,
- Founded- 1982
- Headquarters- Mumbai
- Agency executive- Harsh Kumar Bhanwala (Chairperson)
CURRENT AFFAIRS: APPOINTMENTS AND RESIGNATION
Sanjay Kumar Panda appointed India’s Ambassador to Turkey
- Senior diplomat Sanjay Kumar Panda has been appointed as India’s Ambassador to Turkey.
- Panda is presently Consul General, Consulate General of India, San Francisco. He is expected to take up the assignment shortly.
- President– Recep Tayyip Erdoğan
- Capital– Ankara
- Currency– Turkish lira
Former India spinner Sunil Joshi named BCCI’s selection committee chairman
- Former India spinner Sunil Joshi was named chairman of the national selection panel by the BCCI’s Cricket Advisory Committee (CAC) in Mumbai .
- A statement from BCCI Secretary Jay Shah stated, the CAC also picked ex-pacer Harvinder Singh for a place in the five-member group.The CAC, comprising Madan Lal, RP Singh and Sulakshana Naik, picked the two selectors with Joshi replacing South Zone representative MSK Prasad.
- Harvinder was chosen from the central zone and replaces Gagan Khoda in the panel. In an unprecedented decision, the BCCI stated the CAC will review the panel’s performance after one year and make recommendations accordingly.
- The CAC had shortlisted five candidates from a list of 40 applicants for interviews. The other three shortlisted candidates were Venkatesh Prasad, Rajesh Chauhan and LS Sivaramakrishnan.
- Secretary: Jay Shah
- Headquarters: Mumbai
- CEO: Rahul Johri
- Vice president(s): Mahim Verma
- Founded: December 1928
- Presidents: C.K. Khanna, Sourav Ganguly
Amrish Rau appointed as CEO of Pine Labs
- Amrish Rau has been appointed as CEO of Pine Labs, a leading merchant commerce platform company.
- Rau founded the start up Citrus Pay, which was sold off to PayU,replaces Vicky Bindra who after a two-year stint as CEO is moving back to San Francisco, the company stated in a statement.
- Bindra will continue to be an advisor to the company supporting strategic initiatives, the statement added.
About pine labs:
- Founded: 1998
- Headquarters: Noida
- Executive Chairman: Lokvir Kapoor
- Chief Executive Officer: Vicky Bindra
CURRENT AFFAIRS: AWARDS AND HONOURS
PM Modi will be treated with highest honour during Bangladesh visit
- Foreign Minister of Bangladesh A.K. Abdul Momen has stated that Prime Minister Narendra Modi will be treated with the highest honour during his forthcoming visit to Bangladesh to attend the Mujib Centenary Celebrations.
- The Bangladesh govt has invited Prime Minister Modi as the premier of India, which was its closest ally during the liberation war.
- President- Abdul Hamid
- Capital- Dhaka
- Currency- Bangladeshi taka
Farrell, McNamara first female duo to win top architecture prize
- Irish architects Yvonne Farrell and Shelley McNamara have been awarded the 2020 Pritzker Architecture Prize for consistent service to humanity as evidenced by a body of built work” and for leading the way for women in a male-dominated profession.
- The announcement was by Tom Pritzker, chairman of The Hyatt Foundation.
- Three women have won the prize previously: Zaha Hadid in 2004, Kazuyo Sejima in 2010 (with Ryue Nishizawa) and Carme Pigem in 2017 (with Ramon Vilalta and Rafael Aranda).
About Hyatt Foundation
- Chairman & President– Tom Pritzker
- Headquarters– Chicago, United States
President Kovind confers 61st annual Lalit Kala Akademi awards
- President Ram Nath Kovind conferred 61st annual Lalit Kala Akademi‘s awards on 15 artistes at the Rashtrapati Bhavan.
- The awardees include Anoop Kumar Manzukhi Gopi from Kerala, David Malakar from West Bengal, Hari Ram Kumbhawat from Rajasthan, Devendra Kumar Khare from Gujarat, Dinesh Pandya from Maharashtra, Mohan Kumar from Karnataka and Yashwant Singh from Delhi.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: RANKING
India has 3rd highest trade-related illicit financial flow globally
- India has the third highest trade-related illicit financial flow among 135 countries with 5 billion dollars (about Rs 6.08 lakh crore) or 3.05 per cent of gross domestic product (GDP) escaping the government’s tax net, according to US-based think tank Global Financial Integrity (GFI).
- The GFI classifies as illicit flow funds that are illegally earned, transferred or utilised across an international border. The primary sources of illicit flows include grand corruption, commercial tax evasion and transnational crime.
- In terms of averages over the ten-year period, the countries with the largest identified value gaps were nearly the same as those leading in 2017: China (482.4 billion dollars), Russia (92.6 billion dollars), Mexico (81.5 billion dollars), India (78 billion dollars) and Malaysia (64.1 billion dollars).
- In 2017, the value gap associated with trade misinvoicing amounted to 18 per cent of developing country trade
UoH bags top score in QS World University Subject ranking
- The University of Hyderabad (UoH) has scored in 25 subjects and ranked in three in the QS World University Subject rankings for 2020.
- The three subjects in which UoH has secured high rankings are: Chemistry 301-350; Biological Sciences 451-500; and Physics & Astronomy 501-550.
- The QS methodology used four indicators to determine the institutions’ rankings in the subjects — Academic Reputation, Employer Reputation, Citations per Paper and H-Index.
- QS World University Rankings is a publication of university rankings, published annually by British company Quacquarelli Symonds (QS).
CURRENT AFFAIRS: DEFENCE
Tamil Nadu, UP to set up Defence industrial corridors
- The Minister of State for Defence, Shripad Naik has been decided to set up two Defence industrial corridors in the country, one in Uttar Pradesh and another in Tamil Nadu.
- Subsequently, five nodes for Tamil Nadu Defence Industrial Corridor – Chennai, Coimbatore, Hosur, Salem and Tiruchirapalli have been identified.
- Investments of approximately Rs 3,100 crore were announced by Ordnance Factory Board (OFB), Defence Public Sector Undertaking (DPSUs) and private industries in Tamil Nadu corridor.
- Till date, six consultation meetings of stakeholders in Tamil Nadu were organized across its various nodes. Further, the Government has also appointed a consultant for the preparation of the Detailed Project Report (DPR) for these two Defence corridors.
- Setting up of Tamil Nadu Defence Industrial Corridor would catalyse indigenous production of Defence and aerospace-related products, thereby reducing our reliance on imports and promoting export of these items to other countries.
- This will lead to the generation of direct and indirect employment opportunities and growth of private domestic manufacturers including Micro, Small and Medium Enterprises (MSMEs) and start-ups.
About Ministry of Defence
- Minister of Defence- Rajnath Singh
- Constituency- Lucknow,UP
- Minister of State for Defence-Shripad Naik
CURRENT AFFAIRS: SPORTS
Kieron Pollard becomes first player to play 500 T20 matches
- West Indies skipper Kieron Pollard became the first player in the history of T20 cricket to feature in 500 matches when he took the field against Sri Lanka for the first T20I.
- Dwayne Bravo is second in the list with 453 matches under his belt so far.
- Chris Gayle is at the third spot in the list as he has featured in 404 T20 matches.
- Pollard was congratulated by teammates on his landmark day before the start of the T20I and was also presented with a special jersey to mark the occasion.The jersey had the all-rounder’s name at the back along with the number 500.
Mumbai set to host IOC session in 2023
- Mumbai is set to host the 2023 International Olympic Committee’s session after the IOC Executive Board recommended the Indian city for the annual conference.
- The IOC Executive Board decided to put Mumbai’s candidature to a vote of the members. The decision is to be ratified at the 136th IOC session in Tokyo in July this year.
- After ratification, this will be the second-ever IOC session to be held in India after a long gap of 37 years. India last hosted an IOC session way back in 1983 in New Delhi
- Headquarters: Lausanne, Switzerland
- President: Thomas Bach
- Honorary President: Jacques Rogge
- Director General: Christophe De Kepper
CURRENT AFFAIRS: ORBITURY
Veteran Telugu journalist Potturi Venkateswara Rao passes away
- Veteran journalist and former editor of Telugu daily Andhra Prabha, Potturi Venkateswara Rao, died at his residence in Hyderabad. He had been battling illness at a private hospital in Banjara Hills in the city.
- He had started his career as a journalist in 1957 at the Andhra Janatha Telugu newspaper.
- Apart from being a journalist, Rao has also authored and co-authored a few books, including one on former Prime Minister, PV Narasimha Rao and had worked as the Chairman of Press Academy in erstwhile Andhra Pradesh.
DAILY CA 4TH MAR
- Janaushadhi Week -1ST to 7th March
- National Safety Day- 4TH March
- Govt suspends all visas granted to nationals of Italy, Iran, South Korea & Japan
- World Bank announces 12 bn aid package to help countries combat coronavirus outbreak
- Indian-American Seema Verma named as key member of coronavirus task force in US
- UN appeals for USD 877 million to help Rohingya refugees in Bangladesh
- NABARD infuses Rs 1.46 lakh cr in rural banking system during current fiscal
- Govt introduces bill to amend banking laws to strengthen cooperative banks
- Govt has collected Rs 7.52 trillion direct tax in Apr-Jan
- FDI inflow dips 1.4% to $ 10.67 bn in October-December
- BEE launches star rating programme for Deep Freezer and Light Commercial Air Conditioners (LCAC)
- Paytm arm gets IRDAI brokerage licence
- Pine Labs, ZestMoney to offer instant credit, EMI to customers at PoS
- Centre declares National Chambal Sanctuary in MP as eco-sensitive zone
- TN launches Rs 2,857 cr health system reform programme
- India’s biggest multi-level parking to come up in Noida
- NCLT approves NBCC bid to acquire Jaypee Infratech via insolvency
- Sudhanshu Pandey takes charge as new CMD of MMTC Ltd
- Revenue Secretary Ajay Bhushan Pandey appointed as Union Finance Secretary
- GlaxoSmithKline India appoints Sridhar Venkatesh as MD and Vice-President
- Assam environmental activist Jadav Payeng named for Commonwealth Award
- Pune to host 108th Indian Science Congress in 2021
- 35th edition of AAHAR, Food and Hospitality fair, begins in New Delhi
- 68th All India Police Athletic Championship kick starts in Haryana
- Shafali Verma gains top spot in ICC women’s T20I rankings
- Ex GE CEO Jack Welch passes away
DAILY CA 5THMAR
- IWD 2020: Thinlas Chorol sets up first women’s travel company in Ladakh
- Cabinet gives nod for FDI policy on civil aviation; NRIs can acquire up to 100% equity in Air India
- Cabinet gives nod to Companies Second Amendment Bill to enable Indian firms to list on foreign exchanges
- Centre launches second phase of Swachh Bharat Mission (Grameen)
- Sri Lanka to lead science, technology and innovation sector in BIMSTEC
- Luxembourg becomes first country to make all public transport free
- RBI’s new measures will see banks’ dependence on CDs, TDs coming down
- ICICI Prudential AMC ties up Saraswat Co-op Bank to tap rural potential
- IRDAI asks insurance companies to design policies to cover coronavirus
- Microsoft, Accenture join to provide tech support to social enterprise startups
- Zomato buys UberEats India for $206 million
- UP govt announces Rs 900 per month for stray cattle upkeep
- Tripura government to provide Rs 5000 to eligible students for buying smartphone
- Student Health Card scheme for school children launched in J&K
- IIT Mandi Signs Deal with NABARD for Setting up Three FPOs in Himachal
- Sanjay Kumar Panda appointed India’s Ambassador to Turkey
- Former India spinner Sunil Joshi named BCCI’s selection committee chairman
- Amrish Rau appointed as CEO of Pine Labs
- PM Modi will be treated with highest honour during Bangladesh visit
- Farrell, McNamara first female duo to win top architecture prize
- President Kovind confers 61st annual Lalit Kala Akademi awards
- India has 3rd highest trade-related illicit financial flow globally
- UoH bags top score in QS World University Subject ranking
- Tamil Nadu, UP to set up Defence industrial corridors
- Kieron Pollard becomes first player to play 500 T20 matches
- Mumbai set to host IOC session in 2023
- Veteran Telugu journalist Potturi Venkateswara Rao passes away