Dear Readers, Daily Current Affairs News Updates about the National and International events were listed here. Read Current Affairs here and stay updated with current news. Candidates those who are preparing for IBPS/SBI/PO/Clerk exam and all other competitive exams can use this and try Current Affairs Quiz to test your knowledge level.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: DAYS
National Youth Day
- National Youth Day is celebrated on 12 January being the birthday of Swami Vivekananda.
- In 1984 the Government of India declared this day as National Youth Day and since from 1985 the event is celebrated in India every year.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: NATIONAL
PM Modi launches projects worth 600 crore rupees on 150th year celebrations of Kolkata Port Trust
- The Kolkata Port has been renamed as Shyama Prasad Mukherjee Port. The Prime Minister Mr. Narendra Modi announced this in Kolkata on the occasion of 150th years celebrations of the Kolkata Port Trust. Mr. Modi launched several Port led development projects worth Rs 600 cr rupees to mark the day.
- The projects include upgraded Ship repair facility at Netaji Subhash Dry Dock, upgraded railway infrastructure of Kolkata dock system of the Kolkata Port for smooth cargo movement and river front development scheme.
- The centre is modernizing old Ports and developing new Ports through Sagarmala project. Mr. Modi also advocated for expansion of water based tourism in the country besides creating new infrastructures in Port connected cities.
- On the occasion Prime Minister released a commemoratives stamp on 150th years of the Kolkata Port Trust. He also honored two oldest pensioners of the Port Smt. Nagina Bhagat of 105 years and 100-year old Naresh Chandra Chakraborty on the occasion besides launching the Port Anthem at the event.
National Youth Festival 2020 begins at Lucknow in Uttar Pradesh
- On the birth anniversary of Swami Vivekananda, 23rd National Youth Festival 2020 started with a grand inauguration ceremony in Lucknow .
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi appealed youth of country to try only to purchase local products By 2020 which will help the countrymen.
- Emphasising the importance of Youth of the country Prime Minister stated that the same approach of youth to take challenge is the policy of our government also and it can be seen in the decisions like scrapping Article 370, CAA and Ram Temple issue.
About Uttar Pradesh :
- Governor: Anandiben Patel
- Capital: Lucknow
- Chief minister: Yogi Adityanath
Dharmendra Pradhan unveils Mission Purvodaya to develop eastern region into a integrated steel hub
- Union Steel Minister Dharmendra Pradhan has stated, the eastern belt has the potential to add over 75 percent of the country’s incremental steel capacity envisioned by the National Steel Policy.
- It is expected that out of the 300 Million Tonne capacity by 2030-31, over 200 Million Tonne can come from this region alone. while launching Mission Purvodaya in Kolkata .
- The programme is aimed at accelerated development of eastern India through establishment of integrated steel hub.
The mission will drive India’s march towards five trillion dollar economy set by the government.
- With Mission Purvodaya in the steel sector, a new chapter will the rise of eastern India by accelerated development of steel sector through an integrated steel hub.
- Through this programme, the government aims to transform logistics and utilities infrastructure which would change the socio-economic landscape in the eastern India. The steps, under mission, also include growth of steel industry along with employment opportunities across the entire value chain.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: INTERNATIONAL
Dhaka International Film Festival begins
- The 18th Dhaka International Film Festival was inaugurated by the Foreign Minister of Bangladesh Dr. A.K. Abdul Momen.
- The festival kicked off with the screening of the Spanish-Greek film Window to the Sea, directed by Miguel Angel Jimenez, at Bangladesh National Museum (BNM). During the festival 220 films from 74 countries will be screened across various venues in Dhaka between 11-19 January.
- More than 100 film makers and other personalities from the movie world are participating in the event over the next eight days.
- The theme of the festival is ‘Better Film, Better Audience and Better Society’.
Recent news related to Bangladesh :
- India erects “steel fence” across Pakistan, Bangladesh border
- India Bangladesh old rail links of 1965 prewar to be reopened
- India- Bangladesh Navies to participate in maiden bilateral drill at Visakhapatnam
- India to set up coastal surveillance system in Bangladesh
- Bangladesh PM receives Dr Kalam Smriti International Excellence Award 2019
- Iwai Ship Carrying Bhutanese Cargo flagged off from Assam to Bangladesh
Chinese navy commissions first fourth generation destroyer
- China commissioned its first fourth generation guided-missile destroyer, which is expected to accompany aircraft carriers in new battle groups.
- The warship named Nanchang was commissioned by People’s Liberation Army Navy (PLAN) in the port city of Qingdao.
- The commissioning of Nanchang marks the Navy’s leap from the third generation to the fourth generation of destroyers.
- Having a displacement of more than 10,000 tons, the Type 055 is a 180-meter-long, 20-meter-wide guided missile destroyer with 112 vertical launch missile cells capable of launching a combination of surface-to-air missiles, anti-ship missiles, land-attack missiles and anti-submarine missiles
About China :
- Currency: Renminbi
- Capital: Beijing
- President: Xi Jinping
UK-based Big Innovation Centre opens office in Hyderabad
- Big Innovation Centre (BIC), headquartered in the United Kingdom, which provides research and consulting services for the corporate, public institutes to address economic challenges and innovation capabilities, has opened its India office in
- Big Innovation Centre has already launched its innovation hubs in Saudi Arabia and
- Abdul Rehman, India Head stated Will offer thought leadership and advisory services on emerging technologies such as Artificial Intelligence, Blockchain, Virtual Reality and others for more sustainable way of living and inclusivity.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: BANKING AND FINANCE
A uniform, standard health cover from April 1
- The Insurance Regulatory and Development Authority of India (IRDAI) has made it mandatory for general and health insurers to come up with a standard individual health insurance product, which can cater to the basic health needs of a customer, with a maximum sum insured of Rs 5 lakh and minimum of Rs 1 lakh. So far, the only standardised insurance product had been the motor insurance.
- The insurers are mandated to offer the product from April 1, 2020, onwards and need no pre-approval from IRDAI for this. The minimum entry age is fixed as 18 years and maximum
- The policy has no exit age and has the provision of lifelong renewability. The dependents will be covered from the age of three months to 25 years, subject to the definition of ‘family’. If the dependent is aged above 18 years and is financially independent, s/he would be ineligible for coverage in subsequent renewals.
- Founded: 1999
- Headquarters: Hyderabad
- Chairperson: Subhash Chandra Khuntia
Rs 4.7 trillion farm loans waived in 10 years
- Various states have written off Rs 7 lakh crore worth of farm loans in the last 10 years, though this is still below the total amount of bad loans from industries, stated a report by SBI Research.
- Even though the agriculture NPAs (non-performing assets) were only Rs 1.1 lakh crore or 12.4 per cent of the overall NPAs in FY19, if we accounted for Rs 3.14 lakh crore worth of farm loan waivers announced in the last decade, agri NPAs burden for the exchequer banks could be a staggering Rs 4.2 lakh crore, and if taken into account the latest Rs 45,000-51,000 crore write-offs announced by Maharashtra, this it could be at Rs 4.7 lakh crore, which is 82 per cent of the industry-level NPAs,” the SBI Research report claimed.
- In FY19, farm loan NPAs jumped to 12.4 per cent or at 1.1 lakh crore of the Rs 8,79,000 crore of total bad loans in the system, up from Rs 48,800 crore or 8.6 per cent of the total NPAs of Rs 5,6,6,620 crore in FY16.
Website translator for SMEs launched
- Pune-based LanguageTech company, LinguaSol, has launched the Website Translator 1.0, a cost-efficient software solution for Small and Medium Enterprises (SMEs) to localise their websites and applications.
- The Website Translator 1.0 addresses the need for a comprehensive translation partner for businesses through an intricately designed subscription-based language translation solution that is catered exclusively to SMEs.
- The LinguaSol software is a unique solution that can localize the UI of any website or any enterprise software in any language without modifying the source code
CURRENT AFFAIRS :ACQUISITIONS & MERGERS
PayU to acquire PaySense for $185 mn
- Payment and fintech company PayU has decided to acquire a controlling stake in digital credit platform PaySense, including its assets, in a deal valued at $185 million.
- As part of the transaction, PayU’s consumer lending businesses, LazyPay and PaySense, will merge their business operations to build a full-stack digital lending platform in India.
- Additionally, PayU will inject a total of up to $200 million in the new enterprise in the form of equity capital; $65 million of the total amount will be immediately invested, while the balance corpus will be infused in the next 24 months to grow the loan book
CURRENT AFFAIRS: APPOINTMENTS AND RESIGNATION
Samiya Naseem of Indian origin has been appointed as the judge of Chicago
- Samiya Naseem of Indian origin has been appointed as the judge of Chicago. She will soon take the charge.
- US Attorney General William Barr appointed her on the post of the judge of Chicago.
- 37 years old Samiya was born in the US, while her father Khalid Naseem was born and brought up in Gorakhpur’s Gita Press area.
Tsai Ing-wen wins second term as Taiwan president
- Taiwanese voters re-elected Tsai Ing-wen with the highest vote count ever seen in the country’s presidential elections.
- Ms Tsai defeated her more China-friendly challenger Han Kuo-yu with 57.1 per cent of the vote.
- She received 8.2m votes, the highest number since Taiwan started direct presidential elections in 1996. Her Democratic Progressive party retained control of the legislature, according to final results.
About Taiwan :
- President: Tsai Ing-wen
- Capital: Taipei
- Currency: New Taiwan dollar
Lt Col Yuvraj Malik appointed director of National Book Trust
- Lt Col Yuvraj Malik has been appointed the Director of the National Book Trust (NBT).
- Malik, who has taken over from Sahitya Akademi-awardee writer Rita Chowdhury, joined the NBT on deputation from the Indian Army on January 8.
- He has 15 years of administrative experience in various capacities in government organisations.
About National book trust:
- Headquarters location: New Delhi
- Parent organisation: Ministry of Human Resource Development, Government of India
- President: Govind prasad sharma
- Location: New Delhi, India
- Founded: 1 August 1957
Hyderabad scientist Dr Saha elected as Bureau Member of IUPAC
- Dr Bipul Behari Saha, a city-based scientist was elected as the Bureau Member of the International Union of Pure and Applied Chemistry (IUPAC) for 2020-23.
- In the 100 years history of the union, this is the second time an Indian scientist is elected as a Bureau Member, after Bharat Ratna Prof. CNR Rao in 1979.
- IUPAC is the largest global organization of Chemistry professionals. The IUPAC has the responsibility of naming all new elements and compounds, declare atomic weights and physical constants, update Periodic table and carry out research projects for the benefit of mankind.
- Headquarters: Research Triangle Park Headquarters, North Carolina, United States
- Founded: 1919
- President: Zhou Qifeng (China)
- Motto: Advancing Chemistry Worldwide
The New Sultan of Oman Haitham Bin Tariq Al
- HM Sultan Haitham bin Tariq bin Taimour has taken the oath of allegiance as the new Sultan of Oman after the death of longtime ruler HM Sultan Qaboos bin.
- Sultan Qaboos, who ruled the Gulf country since 1970, passed away at the age of 79 after a long battle with illness.
- Haitham bin Tariq served in several positions in the Gulf state, including the head of a committee that forged the country’s vision for 2040. He also served as the Minister of Heritage and Culture from 2002 until January 2020.
- Capital: Muscat
- Currency: Omani rial
CURRENT AFFAIRS: AWARDS AND HONOURS
Jasprit Bumrah and Poonam Yadav to receive Polly Umrigar Award
- Jasprit Bumrah and Poonam Yadav will receive the prestigious Polly Umrigar Award for the best international cricketer male and female.
- Jasprit Bumrah will receive the prestigious Polly Umrigar Award for his super performance in international cricket in the 2018-19 season.
- Poonam Yadav will be awarded the best international cricketer (women).
- Krishnamachari Srikkanth and Anjum Chopra will receive the Col CK Nayudu Lifetime Achievement Award.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: SUMMITS AND CONFERENCE
Wings India 2020 To Be Held In Hyderabad From March 12-15
- Wings India 2020, an international exhibition and conference on civil aviation sector, will be held at Begumpet Airport in Hyderabad from March 12 to 15.
- MOCA and FICCI is organising WINGS India 2020, providing a congenial forum catering to the rapidly changing dynamics of the sector, focusing on new business acquisition, investments, policy formation and regional connectivity.
- The event will provide a fillip to the aviation and restructured focused forums will be instrumental in attaining the objective of connecting the buyers, sellers, investors and other stakeholders at a common forum.
- Privatisation will strengthen the civil aviation sector in the country.
Global investor meet ASCEND 2020 held in Kochi, Kerala
- A two day organised Global Investors Meet– ASCEND 2020 was held in Kochi, Kerala at Lulu Bolgatty International Convention Centre, Grand Hyatt.
- The meet was inaugurated by the Chief Minister of Kerala Shri Pinarayi Vijayan and was organised by states Department of Industries. Totally Rs 1 lakhcrore worth investment proposals were received.
- Wage subsidy scheme was unveiled during the meet . As per the scheme Wage subsidy will be provided for the first5 years for new ventures getting registered on April 1, 2020.
- The benefit will only be available to those units that provides ESI (Employee State Insurance) and PF (Provident Fund) benefits to workers. This would benefit 37 lakh people.
- The proposed mega projects further include a Propylene Oxide manufacturing plant of 2,00,000 MPA capacity in the vicinity of BPCL-Kochi Refinery, a PVC manufacturing facility of capacity 150,000 TPA and a₹1,864-crore KINFRA-initiated Petrochemical Park of international standards at Ambalamugal in Ernakulam district.
- KINFRA (Kerala Industrial Infrastructure Development Corporation) is also keen to set up a₹400-crore logistics hub (in Palakkad) with warehousing facility, while thrust will also be given to set up a ₹300-crore cryogenic warehouse in Kochi’s Puthuvypeen next to the existing LNG terminal.
- The₹131-crore Defence Park at 60 acres in Ottapalam of Palakkad district will have central government assistance under the Modified Industrial Infrastructure Upgradation scheme.
Recent news related to kerala:
- Kerala: the first state to pass anti-CAA resolution
- World Design Organization to launch World Design Protopolis in Bengaluru
- The Centre for Water Resources Development and Management (CWRDM), operating under the Government of Kerala has launched the “Water 4 Change”
- Eight Indian States namely Tamil Nadu, Karnataka, Kerala, Chattisgarh, Madhya Pradesh, Punjab, Haryana and Madhya Pradesh celebrated their formation d
- Pangio Bhujia: New eel-loach species discovered in Kerala
World Future Energy Summit to begin in Abu Dhabi
- The World Future Energy Summit will begin in Abu Dhabi.
- 33,500 participants from 170 countries and 800 specialist exhibitors are expected to attend the four-day annual event.
- The theme for this year’s summit is “Rethinking Global Consumption, Production, and Investment.”
- World Future Energy Summit is the Middle East’s largest future energy and sustainability event.
- 2020 edition includes exhibition and forum programmes across five main pillars: energy, solar, water, waste and smart cities, hosting an unrivalled gathering of top-level government and business leaders.
- The event is starting to set an example for best practice, supporting the circular economy through recycling, and acting to remove single-use plastics from the event.
- The event will showcase 42 of the world’s most disruptive innovations, selected from 1,402 global submissions from 128 countries, related to the future of energy, food, agriculture and sustainability in space.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: DEFENCE
India deploys INS Vikramaditya in Arabian Sea amid China-Pak naval drill
- India has deployed its aircraft carrier INS Vikramaditya in the Arabian Sea at a time China and Pakistan are holding a nine-day mega naval exercise in the region.
- Pakistan and China launched a major drill in the North Arabian Sea with an aim to increase inter-operability and strategic cooperation between their two navies.
- The exercise ‘Sea Guardians’ is taking place in the midst of heightened tension between India and Pakistan over the Kashmir issue. Key platforms of both China and Pakistan, including submarines, destroyers and frigates are part of the exercise.
- Aircraft carrier INS Vikramaditya, with MiG29K fighters on board, has been sent with a strategic objective.
Naval version of Tejas successfully takes off from aircraft carrier INS Vikramaditya in major feat
- The naval version of the indigenously-built Tejas light combat aircraft successfully took off from the “ski-jump” deck of the aircraft carrier INS Vikramaditya in a big leap in overall development of the jet.
- The ski-jump is the upwardly curved ramp on the deck of aircraft carriers designed to provide sufficient take-off lift for fighter jets.
- The naval version of Tejas achieved another important milestone by successfully undertaking the maiden ski-jump take-off from INS Vikramaditya.
- The Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO) is involved in development of the naval variant of Tejas along with Aeronautical Development Agency (ADA), Aircraft Research and Design Centre of Hindustan Aeronautics Ltd, Centre for Military Airworthiness and Certification (CEMILAC) and CSIR among others.
‘India aiming at $250 bn maritime economy by 2024’
- INDIA is looking at a USD 250 billion maritime economy by 2024, which the Indian Coast Guard (ICG) has the responsibility to safeguard.
- India’s exclusive economic zone in the seas along its 7,500-kilometre coastline comprises over 2 million square kilometres.
- With a target of becoming a USD 5 trillion economy by 2024, looking at over USD 250 billion coming from the maritime zone.
- After commissioning coast guard ships ‘ICGS Amrit Kaur’ and ‘ICGS Annie Besant’ which will be deployed along the eastern coast.
- The maritime economy constitutes nearly five per cent of the world economy.
India to acquire 200 fighter jets for Air Force: Defence secretary
- The government is in the process of acquiring around 200 aircraft to cope with the depleting aerial inventories of the Indian Air Force, defence secretary Ajay Kumar stated.
- The contract for HAL-manufactured 83 LCA Tejas Mark 1 A advanced fighter jets are in the final stages.
- The Air Force has Sukhoi 30 MKIs, Mirage 2000s, Mig 29s and the ageing Jaguars and Mig 21 Bisons in its inventory of fighter jets at present.
- The last fleet of seven swing-wing MiG-27 fighters, which played an important role during the 1999 Kargil war, was decommissioned on December 27.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: SPORTS
BCCI likely to appoint Madan Lal, Gautam Gambhir as Cricket Advisory Committee members
- The Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) is all set to appoint former cricketers Gautam Gambhir and Madan Lal as members of the Cricket Advisory Committee (CAC).
- Both Lal and Gambhir have been approached by the board for the role of the advisory committee which will pick selection committees for the next four-year cycle starting
- Madan Lal is been approached by BCCI for CAC appointment but the final call to be taken by the board only. Gautam Gambhir is also approached by the BCCI and he is likely to accept the offer.
- The 68-year-old veteran was a hero of the 1983 World Cup-winning Indian side while the 2011 World Cup star Gambhir will assist him along with the third member.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: OBITUARY
Veteran broadcaster, academic-poet Obaid Siddiqui passes away
- Veteran broadcaster, poet and academician Obaid Siddiqui passed away due to health related problems.
- Siddiqui received higher education at the Aligarh Muslim University and joined the All India Radio at Srinagar station in 1988.
- Siddiqui, who also worked with NDTV, was also known as an Urdu poet.
Noted Kannada scholar Chidananda Murthy passes away
- Veteran Kannada scholar and researcher M Chidananda Murthy passed away at the age of 88.
- He passed away due to age-related ailments. Murthy was known for his campaign to save the monuments of Hampi, a UNESCO world heritage site.
- He served as a Kannada lecturer in Tumakuru, Kolar, and Bengaluru and later became Head of Department of Kannada in Bangalore University.
Veteran PTI journalist Babul Baruah passes away
- Veteran PTI journalist Babul Baruah, who was associated with the premier news agency for nearly 40 years, passed away following prolonged illness.
- Baruah also served at PTI’s Silchar office, and then at Shillong from where he retired in 2002.
DAILY CA-11TH JAN
- DPIIT launches paperless licensing process for petroleum road tankers
- Four Indian airports receive international recognition for reducing carbon emissions
- Citizens can soon file grievances on CPGRAMS portal in Indian languages
- Home Minister Amit Shah dedicates National Cyber Crime Reporting Portal to nation
- Mangaluru Junction railway facility gets IMS certification
- Second largest Muslim Congregation in the world Bishwa Ijtema begins in Bangladesh
- Sri Lanka to buy 500 buses from India for USD 15 million
- UP to build Rs 234-crore zoo named after Ashfaqullah Khan
- TN names two state-run varsities after Jayalalithaa
- Arunachal assembly adopts new logo
- PM Modi to re-dedicate three restored colonial structures to Kolkata
- J&K likely to have SMS-based taxi aggregator scheme soon
- Uttam Agarwal resigns as independent director of Yes Bank
- 23rd National Youth Festival-2020 to be organized from 12th to 16th January, 2020
- 5th edition of The Pulses Conclave to be held in Maharashtra
- Indian scientists receive award for remarkable research
- Narendra Modi fifth biggest geo-political risk of 2020: Eurasia Group
- Haryana, Karnataka and Kerala top State Energy Efficiency Index 2019
- Gujarat Agro Industries launches imported water-soluble fertilizers
- Indian Navy to continue with Op Sankalp in Gulf region
- Rani Rampal nominated for ‘World Games Athlete of the Year’
- Former MP Gopinath Gajapati Narayan Deo passes away
- Sultan Qaboos bin Said of Oman passes away at 79
DAILY CA-12TH AND 13th JAN
- National Youth Day- 12TH january
- PM Modi launches projects worth 600 crore rupees on 150th year celebrations of Kolkata Port Trust
- National Youth Festival 2020 begins at Lucknow in Uttar Pradesh
- Dharmendra Pradhan unveils Mission Purvodaya to develop eastern region into a integrated steel hub
- Dhaka International Film Festival begins
- Chinese navy commissions first fourth generation destroyer
- A uniform, standard health cover from April 1
- Rs 4.7 trillion farm loans waived in 10 years
- PayU to acquire PaySense for $185 mn
- Website translator for SMEs launched
- Samiya Naseem of Indian origin has been appointed as the judge of Chicago
- Tsai Ing-wen wins second term as Taiwan president
- Lt Col Yuvraj Malik appointed director of National Book Trust
- Hyderabad scientist Dr Saha elected as Bureau Member of IUPAC
- The New Sultan of Oman Haitham Bin Tariq Al
- Jasprit Bumrah and Poonam Yadav to receive Polly Umrigar Award
- Wings India 2020 To Be Held In Hyderabad From March 12-15
- Global investor meet ASCEND 2020 held in Kochi, Kerala
- World Future Energy Summit to begin in Abu Dhabi
- India deploys INS Vikramaditya in Arabian Sea amid China-Pak naval drill
- Naval version of Tejas successfully takes off from aircraft carrier INS Vikramaditya in major feat
- ‘India aiming at $250 bn maritime economy by 2024’
- India to acquire 200 fighter jets for Air Force: Defence secretary
- BCCI likely to appoint Madan Lal, Gautam Gambhir as Cricket Advisory Committee members
- Veteran broadcaster, academic-poet Obaid Siddiqui passes away
- Noted Kannada scholar Chidananda Murthy passes away
- Veteran PTI journalist Babul Baruah passes away