Dear Readers, Daily Current Affairs News Updates about the National and International events were listed here. Read Current Affairs here and stay updated with current news. Candidates those who are preparing for IBPS/SBI/PO/Clerk exam and all other competitive exams can use this and try Current Affairs Quiz to test your knowledge level.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: NATIONAL
Centre releases Rs 19,950 cr as GST compensation to states, UTs
- The Central Government has released 19,950 crore rupees as GST compensation to states. The amount was released to states. With this release of GST compensation, the Central Government has released a total of over 1.20 lakh crore rupees towards GST compensation to the states during current fiscal.
- In the financial year 2018-19, an amount of over 95 thousand crore rupees was collected as GST compensation cess of which over 69 thousand crore rupees was released to the States and Union Territories as GST compensation.
Fourth Anniversary of Shyama Prasad Mukherji Rurban Mission to be observed on 21st feb
- The fourth Anniversary of the launch of Shyama Prasad Mukherji Rurban Mission (SPMRM) will be observed On 21st February 2016, the Prime Minister Narendra Modi had launched the Mission with the vision to deliver catalytic interventions to rural areas on the threshold of growth.
- The Mission aims at transforming these Rurban clusters by stimulating local economic development, enhancing basic services and creating well planned Rurban clusters.
- This will lead to holistic development of the region and encourage integrated and inclusive rural development.
- Under the mission, 300 Rurban clusters are envisaged to be developed in a time-bound manner. Spurred by the success of Rurban clusters, NITI Aayog has recently proposed a new and extended programme for over a 1,000 clusters in next three years.
V Prez inaugurates four-day Indian Students’ Parliament in New Delhi
- Vice President M Venkaiah Naidu has urged the younger generation to join politics in a big way. Inaugurating the four-day Indian Students’ Parliament in New Delhi, Mr Naidu stated, politics is a vehicle for serving the people and bringing about the desired socio-economic change.
- Politics is a vehicle to take the country to new levels of development and strengthening the foundations of democracy.
- Mr Naidu expressed happiness that thousands of youngsters are taking active interest in politics and various issues concerning the nation.
- Vice President stated that there is a need for a national movement to eradicate poverty and illiteracy and wipe out various social evils, which are hampering the progress of the nation.
- Youth of the country should be at the forefront of eliminating the scourge of corruption and other ills plaguing the society.
CPCB identifies 60 pollution river stretches in northeastern states
- The Central Pollution Board (CPCB) has identified 60 pollution river stretches based on Biochemical Oxygen Demand (BOD) in different northeastern states.
- According to the report, CPCB has identified over 350 polluted river stretches across India and the number continues to grow.The report stated the polluted river stretches in the northeastern states are Bharalu, Basistha, Kolong, Boko and Kopili in Assam; Wahumkhrah, Umshyrpi, Waikhyrwi, Rawaka, Kmai-um, Um-Mynkseh, Umpai, Mynkseh and Sarbang in Meghalaya; Nambul and Kongba in Manipur; Chite in Mizioram; Dhansiri in Nagaland and Gumti in Tripura.
- The study found out that the discharge of industrial and mining effluent and dumping of waste has been identified as the major causes of pollution of these stretches, which are mostly located near towns and cities.
- The report further stated that more than 60% of the country’s sewage is released into the streams and rivers untreated. Consequently, half of the rivers in the country is now polluted with the Ganga, Sabarmati, and Yamuna being the most polluted.
- It stated the 2018 Niti Aayog report on composite water management index shows that nearly 70 percent freshwater in the country is contaminated and more than 600 million people face high to the extreme water crisis. The report further said that the northeast, which boasts of nearly 30% of the country’s water resources besides a low population density, it faces acute water shortage in many parts.
- It also stated India stands a poor 120th among 122 countries on the Water Quality Index based on the availability of clean and sufficient water.
- The Central Pollution Control Board of India is a statutory organisation under the Ministry of Environment, Forest and Climate Change. It was established in 1974 under the Water Act, 1974. The CPCB is also entrusted with the powers and functions under the Air Act, 1981.
- Founded: 22 September 1974
- Headquarters: New Delhi
- Agency executive: S.P. Singh Parihar (Chairperson), Dr. Prashant Gargava (Member Secretary)
CURRENT AFFAIRS: INTERNATIONAL
Sri Lanka: Government decides to withdraw from UNHRC consensus resolutions
- Sri Lankan Government formally announced its decision to withdraw from the United Nations Human Rights Council (UNHRC) resolution co-sponsored in 2015.
- Cabinet Spokesman Bandula Gunawardena told reporters that the proposal to withdraw from the resolution was tabled by Foreign Minister Dinesh Gunawardena who also sought the support of the international community for the move. The announcement came after the Cabinet unanimously decided to withdraw from the resolution in its meeting last evening.
- The government has stated that the resolution had been co-sponsored without the consent of then President Maithripala Sirisena.
- The government under President Gotabaya Rajpaksa, however, expressed its commitment to achieve sustainable peace through an inclusive, domestically designed reconciliation and accountability process, including through the appropriate adaptation of existing mechanisms.
- The resolution was co-sponsored by Sri Lankan Government in a bid to address war crimes accusations and initiate reconciliation mechanism, after defeat of Mahinda Rajapksa in 2015 elections.
- The United Nations Human Rights Council is a United Nations body whose mission is to promote and protect human rights around the world. The UNHRC has 47 members elected for staggered three-year terms on a regional group basis. The headquarters of UNHRC is in Geneva, Switzerland.
- Headquarters: Geneva, Switzerland
- Founded: 15 March 2006
- Head: President; Coly Seck
India attends SCO defence and security experts meeting in Pakistan
- Pakistan hosted a two-day meeting of defence and security experts of the Shanghai Cooperation Organisation (SCO) in Islamabad which was attended by India and other member states.
- The 9th Defence and Security Expert Working Group meeting of the SCO from February 19 to 20 discussed different aspects of cooperation between the SCO member states’ and regional security, the Inter-Services Public Relations (ISPR) – the media wing of the Pakistan army.
- The participating countries besides Pakistan included China, Russia, Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Tajikistan, Uzbekistan and India, whereas Belarus attended the meeting as the observer state.
- For the first time, India will host the annual meeting of council of heads of government of the SCO later this year.
- The SCO is a China-led eight-member economic and security bloc in which India and Pakistan were admitted as full members in 2017.
- Its founding members included China, Russia, Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Tajikistan and Uzbekistan.The grouping has four observer states, namely Afghanistan, Belarus, Iran and Mongolia.
- Currency: Pakistani rupee
- Capital: Islamabad
- Prime minister: Imran Khan
- President: Arif Alvi
CURRENT AFFAIRS: BANKING AND FINANCE
Kotak Mahindra Bank gets RBI nod on promoters’ stake dilution plan
- Kotak Mahindra Bank stated that the Reserve Bank of India (RBI) has granted its final approval regarding the dilution of promoters’ shareholding in the bank.
- On January 30, Kotak Mahindra Bank stated that the bank decided to cap the promoters’ voting rights to 15% from April 1 The RBI gave its in-principle acceptance for reducing promoters’ shareholding to 26% of the paid-up voting equity share capital of the bank within six months from the date of final approval of the regulator.
- The regulator earlier insisted the Kotak Mahindra Bank promoters to cap their voting rights at 20% by March 2020. The RBI had fined the Kotak Mahindra Bank ₹2 crore for violation of its norms.
About kotak Mahindra bank:
- Headquarters: Mumbai
- CEO: Uday Kotak
- Founded: February 2003
- Tagline :Lets make money simple
India needs to invest USD 109 billion to halve its road accident fatalities in next decade: World Bank
- India needs to invest an estimated extra USD 109 billion in road safety over the next decade to halve its crash fatalities, the World Bank stated in a report released on a day when at least 35 people were killed in four separate accidents in the country.
- The bank stated such an investment will bring economic benefits equivalent annually to 7 per cent of the GDP.
- The report titled “Delivering Road Safety in India” was released at the ‘Third Global Ministerial Conference on Road Safety‘ in
- It points to the high death rate on India’s roads caused by chronic lack of investment in systemic, targeted, and sustained road safety programmes and identifies relevant investment priorities to reverse the trend.
- India has one of the highest rates of road crashes in the world.
- About 150,000 people lose their lives on India’s roads, and more than five times that number are injured or maimed for life. The national highways alone claim one life a year for every two kilometers. This is ten times higher than the developed country threshold.
- Road crashes also impact economic growth, costing the economy between 3 to 5 per cent of GDP a year
About World Bank:
- Headquarters: Washington, D.C., United States
- Membership: 189 countries (IBRD); 173 countries (IDA)
- Founded: 1944
- President: David Malpass
- MD and CEO: Anshula Kant
- Chief Economist: Penny Goldberg
CURRENT AFFAIRS: STATES
Ganga Kayak Festival organised in Uttarakhand
- The eighth edition of Ganga Kayak Festival was inaugurated in Devprayag, Uttarakhand.
- The festival is jointly organized with Uttarakhand Tourism Development Council and The Adventure Sports Society is witnessing participation of 45 male and 6 women athletes from Russia, Australia and Nepal.
- On the first day of the event, in male sprint category, India’s Ayodhya Prasad stood first followed by Nepal’s Man Bahadur Kandel with Rishi Rana of India coming in third.
- In the women’s category, Elizabeth Heath of Australia came in first followed by Ekaterina of Russia and Anna of Russia in the third position.
- Kayaking activities in the state are being promoted worldwide and the tourism department is committed to encourage such events in future as well.
- Capital- Dehradun
- Chief Minister- Trivendra Singh Rawat
- Governor- Baby Rani Maurya
Tamil Nadu, Karnataka to observe Jayalalithaa’s birth anniversary as ‘Girl Children Protection Day’
- TN and Karnataka government will celebrate former Chief Minister J Jayalalithaa’s birthday as ‘State Women Children Protection Day’ on February 24.
- TN government will implement five new schemes, including a Rs 2 lakh assistance by way of bank deposit, for the welfare of destitute girl children.
- Also, a scheme for girls who face difficulties after leaving government-run homes on completion of 18 years of age was announced, in which a special financial assistance will be given to ensure their social and financial safety. It will include assistance for higher education, skill development, job opportunities and self-employment. The assistance will continue to be provided till they complete 50 years of age.
- The state Government also increased the monthly amount paid to the foster parents of the girls to ₹4,000 from ₹2,000.
About J JAYALALITHA
- Jayalalithaa became an actor-turned-politician after the demise of her mentor and party founder MG Ramachandran (MGR) in the 80s. After this, the reins of AIADMK were given in her hands. She became the Chief Minister for the first time in 1991. Jayalalithaa is known for her remarkable comebacks. She also led the party to victory in 2001, 2011 and 2016 assembly elections. She is still known as Puraichi Thalaivi (revolutionary leader) among her supporters. She died on 5 December 2016.
Tamil Nadu CM Palaniswami announces 50 per cent subsidy for Ulemas to buy two-wheelers, increases pension
- Tamil Nadu Chief Minister K Palaniswami announced a 50 per cent subsidy for ‘Ulemas‘ to buy new two-wheelers and doubled their pension by increasing the payout to Rs 3,000 from the present Rs 1,500.
- The Ulema are the guardians and interpreters of religious knowledge in Islam.
- There are 2,814 Waqf institutions in Tamil Nadu and Ulemas working in such registered entities will be provided a subsidy of Rs 25,000 or 50 per cent of the vehicle cost, whichever is lower to buy new two-wheelers.
- Also, the government will allocate Rs 15 crore for building a new ‘Haj House’ here in a land that will be assigned by Tamil Nadu Waqf Board.
About Tamil Nadu
- Capital– Chennai
- Chief Minister- K Palaniswami
- Governor– Banwarilal Purohit
UP govt allots Rs 2,000 cr for Jewar airport in budget
- The Uttar Pradesh government allotted a fund of Rs 2,000 crore for the Jewar Airport in Gautam Buddh Nagar.
- A budget of Rs 2,000 crore has been proposed for the Noida International Greenfield Airport in Gautam Buddh Nagar’s Jewar. The airport is expected to go operational by 2023.
- The UP government presented a Rs 5,12,860.72 crore budget for FY 2020-21 in the state assembly.
- The entire project will be spread over 5,000 hectares and is estimated to cost Rs 29,560 crore. The first phase of the airport will be spread over 1,334 hectares and cost Rs 4,588 crore. The project is being managed and operated by Noida International Airport (NIAL).
- Swiss firm Zurich Airport International AG had emerged as the highest bidder to develop the Jewar airport on the outskirts of Delhi, outbidding competitors like Adani Enterprises, DIAL and Anchorage Infrastructure Investments Holding.
- Capital- Prayagraj
- CM- Yogi Adityanand
- Governor- Anandiben Patel
Haryana govt to open Atal Kisan – Majdoor canteens to provide meals at concessional rate
- Haryana government will open Atal Kisan – Majdoor canteens in all mandis and sugar mills across the state to provide affordable and cheap meals to farmers and labourers at a concessional rate of 10 rupees per plate.
- This was stated by Governor Satyadev Narayann Arya during his address to the Budget Session of State Assembly which commenced in Chandigarh. He stated that 25 such canteens will be established this year.
- Haryana government will also provide free and concessional travel facility to 41 different categories of residents in the ordinary buses of Haryana Roadways.
- Under a new initiative, the women and girls belonging to 11 lakh BPL families will be given sanitary napkins free of cost during the year 2020-2021.
- Capital: Chandigarh
- Governor: Satyadev Narayan Arya
- Chief minister: Manohar Lal Khattar
Tripura: Bharat-Bangla Tourism festival begans in Agartala
- In Tripura, a two-day long first-ever Bharat-Bangla Paryatan Utsav–Tourism festival began with spectacular cultural events Ujjayanta Palace compound in Agartala.
- The State Tourism Department has organized the festival in memories of the contribution of Tripura in 1971 Bangladesh liberation war as well as giving a fillip to the Tripura tourism sector. In doing so, Mr. Dev said, Tripura state is playing an important role in bringing both the leaders’ dream come true. He further said, the state through cultural tourism, health tourism particularly tightening the relationship between two nations.
- Bangladesh Member of Parliament Md. Abdus Shahid paying tribute to the Indians, who helped Bangladesh in the 1971 liberation war, stated the relationship between India and Bangladesh grows stronger day by day. Personalities of different fields, cultural artists and singers from both countries are taking part in the event.
- Seminars, discussions, cultural events, visit the important tourism spots, historical and archeological sites are the main parts of the two-day friendship festival.
Recent news related to Tripura
- Lai Haraoba Festival begins in Tripura
- First SEZ in Tripura to focus on agro-based food processing
- The Centre has approved the release of funds amounting to Rs.5908 crores to 7 states. The High-Level Committee was chaired by the Union Home Minister Amit Shah in New Delhi.
- The 23-years old Bru-Reang Refugee Crisis ended on, 16th January 2020 following the signing of an agreement in New Delhi between the Government
Arunachal Pradesh celebrates 34th Statehood Day
- Arunachal Pradesh is celebrating its 34th Statehood Day . Arunachal Pradesh attained statehood on February 20, 1987. Home Minister Amit Shah will attend the celebrations at
- Home Minister Amit Shah will launch a slew of projects on the occasion. He will launch the Arunachal Pradesh Industrial and Investment Policy, 2020, inaugurate the Joram-Koloriang Road constructed by BRO, lay the foundation stone of the new headquarters of the state police and along with other projects.
About Arunachal Pradesh :
- Capital: Itanagar
- Chief minister: Pema Khandu
- Governor : B .D.mishra
CURRENT AFFAIRS: MOU
EESL inks pact with BSNL for 1,000 EV charging stations across country
- State-owned Energy Efficiency Services Ltd (EESL) has signed an initial pact with BSNL for installing charging stations for electric vehicles.
- As per the Memorandum of Understanding (MoU), EESL will set up public EV charging stations at 1,000 BSNL sites in a phased manner across the country.
- Telecom PSU BSNL would be responsible for providing the requisite space and power connections for installing the charging infrastructure.
- EESL has commissioned 300 AC and 170 DC chargers across India.
- Till date, 66 public charging points are operational in Delhi-NCR.
- With its innovative model of demand aggregation and bulk procurement, EESL receives electric vehicles and chargers at a significantly discounted rate as compared to the actual market value.
- EESL has established a sustainable business model, which makes EVs affordable for the end-consumers.
- Founded- 2000.
- Headquarters- New Delhi, India.
- Chairman & MD -Pravin Kumar Purwar.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: AWARDS AND HONOURS
Indian freelance journalist Ahmer Khan wins AFP’s Kate Webb Prize for covering ‘challenging’ Kashmir
- Ahmer Khan, the 27-year-old Indian freelance reporter, was named the winner of the 2019 Agence France-Presse Kate Webb Prize for his coverage on the ground in Kashmir during the lockdown of the region.
- The award, named after one of AFP’s finest correspondents, recognizes journalism by locally hired reporters in Asia operating in risky or difficult conditions.
- Khan was honoured for a series of video and written reports that vividly illustrated the impact on locals in the region following India’s decision to abrogate article 370 that granted special status to Jammu and Kashmir in August.
- The Indian government-imposed restrictions on movement and a communications blackout in the region.
- India insisted the move was aimed at bringing prosperity and peace to the region.
- Despite curfews and a heavy security presence, Khan took to the streets with his camera to document the tensions, concerns and frustrations among the residents of Srinagar and other cities in Kashmir.
- Unable to skirt the communications shutdown, he flew in and out of Delhi to file his stories.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: SUMMITS AND CONFERENCE
S Jaishankar inaugurates Indian pavilion at Berlin International Film Festival
- External Affairs Minister S Jaishankar inaugurated the Indian pavilion at the Berlin International Film Festival for which three feature films and one documentary from the country have been selected.
- Information and Broadcasting ministry in collaboration with the Confederation of Indian Industry (CII) is participating in the 70th edition of the festival.
- This year in Berlin, three Indian feature films — Pushpendra Singh’s “Laila Aur Satt Geet”, Prateek Vats’ “Eeb Allay Ooo!”, Akhsay Indikar’s “Sthalpuran” as well as one short documentary film — Ekta Mittal’s “Gumnaam Din” — have been selected.
- The Indian delegation has meetings scheduled with officials from countries including Israel, South Africa, New Zealand, Spain, Brazil, Portugal, France, Italy, Switzerland, Germany, Canada, United States of America and Rwanda.
NE Sustainable Development Goals Conclave to be held in Assam
- North East Sustainable Development Goals Conclave 2020 will be held in Assam from February 24-26, 2020.
- Government think-tank Niti Aayog is organising the ”Sustainable Development Goals (SDG) Conclave 2020: Partnerships, Cooperation and Development of North Eastern States”.
- The event is being held in association with the North Eastern Council, Government of Assam, Tata Trusts, United Nations Development Programme (UNDP) and Research and Information System for Developing Countries (RIS).
- The three-day event (February 24-26) will be held at Assam Administrative Staff College,
- Niti Aayog has the mandate of overseeing the adoption and monitoring of SDGs at the national and sub-national level.The progress in the northeast region is crucial in this decade of action for the country to achieve the SDGs by 2030.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY
Solar Powered PHASA-35 Completes First Test Flight In Australia
- BAE Systems is celebrating the successful maiden flight of a solar powered High-Altitude Long Endurance (HALE) aircraft at the RAAF’s Woomera Test Range in South Australia.
- PHASA-35 is an unmanned 35-metre wingspan solar-electric aircraft that has progressed from design to flight in just 20 months. Built in partnership with UK’s Prismatic Ltd, which BAE Systems announced it would be acquiring last year, PHASA-35 has military applications but could also be used for purposes such bushfire detection and delivering communications services.
- The aircraft is being developed to stay aloft for periods up to a year, which is possible as a result of the use of solar cells across its wings and a lithium-ion battery system.
SCSC launches new app to make women feel safe
- The She M Power Women Security Conclave organised by the Society for Cyberabad Security Council (SCSC) saw the launch of a new comprehensive mobile application called She Safe.
- It was launched in the presence of Cyberabad Police Commissioner VC Sajjanar, IG (Women’s Safety) Swati Lakra, Dr Tessy Thomas, Director General of Aeronauticals, DRDO, and actor Sai Pallavi.
- The app, made by a group of women IT professionals, offers a one-stop tech solution to a variety of security needs of women, and allows them to rate various services.
- SCSC members stated one of the features of the app, which is the most promising, is ‘Safe Stay’ wherein nearly 100-200 hostels and PG guest houses have been enlisted with security ratings given to them by the police and the SCSC.
- This is the extension of the SCSC’s Safe Stay project where they had scrutinised hundreds of hostels for their security features like CCTV cameras, height of the boundary walls, and fire extinguisher among others.
- Based on these, scores have been given to the hostels and the same has been made available on the app for women to go through and make a judgement on where to stay.
- Another critical feature is ‘Radiant Hyderabad’ wherein women can click photos of dark streets and roads and upload the location on the app to submit a complaint on unsafe spaces.
- The feature also has an option called ‘Margadarshak’, where the margdarshaks registered with the SCSC, who are mostly IT professionals willing to be a part of the peer-support system, can be reached out based on their proximity to one’s present location.
Personal reading scanner machine for visually impaired
- Nearly 7 million people in India are blind or visually impaired, this physical disability keeps them away from many things one of which is, reading. To make them self-dependant when it comes to reading Central Scientific Instruments Organisation, (CSIO) Chandigarh has developed a scanner-based reading device called ‘Divyanayan.
- It is a reading machine for visually impaired or illiterate person where any printed or digital document can be accessed in the form of speech output. The device uses a contact line scanner for acquiring the image of a printed document.
- Depending upon the size and content this personalized portable device can scan and read approximately fifty pages. The user has to manually scan the document by placing the device on printed document without knowing the direction of text flow, moving the device over the document to be read.
- It has two keypads one is used for the operations and another is keypads which are there for cloud connectivity, saving a file name, use of pendrive and other such operations.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: BOOKS AND AUTHOR
Union Minister Shri Prakash Javadekar unveils India/Bharat 2020
- Union Minister Prakash Javadekar unveiled Annual Reference India/Bharat 2020. The book is a complete reference manual for all people including those appearing for competitive examinations. The book has become a tradition and is becoming popular by the day.
- Shri Javadekar also released the e-version of the publication. The e-version can be accessed on a variety of devices such as tablets, computers, e-readers and smart phones. The e-book conforms to the best international standards technically and is a faithful replication of the print version.
- The e-INDIA has a variety of reader friendly features for better communication like hyperlinks, highlighting, book marking and interactivity.
- The Publications Division is a repository of books and journals highlighting subjects of national importance, India’s rich cultural and literary heritage. Since its inception in the forties, it is publishing books in English and Hindi as well as in all major Indian languages at affordable prices.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: RANKING
India ranks 77th on sustainability, 131st in child flourishing index rankings
- India ranked 77th on a sustainability index that takes into account per capita carbon emissions and ability of children in a nation to live healthy lives and secures 131st spot on a flourishing ranking that measures the best chance at survival and well-being for children
- Norway leads the table for survival, health, education and nutrition rates – followed by South Korea and the Netherlands. Central African Republic, Chad and Somalia come at the bottom.
- Each of the three emits 210 per cent more CO2 per capita than their 2030 target, the data shows, while the US, Australia, and Saudi Arabia are among the 10 worst emitters. The lowest emitters are Burundi, Chad and Somalia.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: DEFENCE
India to send its largest military aircraft to evacuate more Indians from Wuhan
- India will send a C-17 military transport aircraft to the Chinese city of Wuhan to evacuate more Indians and deliver a consignment of medical supplies to China’s coronavirus-hit people.
- The C-17 Globemaster is the largest military aircraft in the Indian Air Force’s inventory. The plane can carry large combat equipment, troops and humanitarian aid across long distances in all weather conditions.
- The aircraft will carry a large consignment of medical supplies to China and bring back more Indians from Wuhan, the epicentre of the coronavirus epidemic.
- India’s national carrier Air India has already evacuated around 640 Indians from Wuhan in two separate flights.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: SPORTS
P V Sindhu wins third successive ESPN’s Female Sportsperson of the Year award
- World champion shuttler P V Sindhu won the ESPN’s Female Sportsperson of the Year award for a third consecutive time while young shooter Saurabh Chaudhary bagged the honour in the male category.
- Sprinter Dutee Chand became the first winner of the Courage award for being inspirational both on and off the field. Ace chess player Koneru Humpy won the award for the Comeback of the Year. Wrestler Deepak Punia bagged coveted ESPN’s Emerging Sports Person of the Year award.
- Chief National Badminton Coach Pullela Gopichand claimed the Coach of the Year award, for nurturing two Olympic medalists in Saina Nehwal and Sindhu. Sindhu’s World Championship win, the first by an Indian in badminton, has also been selected as the Moment of the Year.
- Manu Bhaker-Saurabh Chaudhary grabbed the Team of the Year honour. Manasi Joshi won Differently-abled Athlete of the Year/Para-Athlete of the Year award. Hockey legend Balbir Singh Senior, one of independent India’s most celebrated Olympians, has been conferred with ESPN’s Lifetime Achievement award. ESPN Multi-Sport Awards recognized achievements across 10 categories.
Divya Kakran wins a gold medal at Asian Wrestling Championships
- Divya Kakran became only the second Indian woman to win a gold medal at the Asian Wrestling Championships defeating junior world champion Naruha Matsuyuki in New Delhi . Divya won all four bouts in five-wrestler 68 kilogram category, as the competition was fought in the round-robin format.
- Navjot Kaur had become the first Indian woman to win a gold medal at the Asian Championships in 2018 in Bishkek, Kyrgyzstan in 65 kilogram.
- In a memorable day for the hosts, Sarita Mor in 59 kg, Pinki in 55 kg and Nirmala Devi in 50 kg are assured of at least silver medals as they reached finals of their categories.
Pragyan Ojha announces retirement from international, 1st-class cricket
- Indian left-arm spinner Pragyan Ojha announced retirement from international and first-class cricket with immediate effect. The 33-year-old last played for India in 2013 during Sachin Tendulkar’s farewell Test against the West Indies in
- In all, he played 24 Tests between 2009 and 2013 in which he took 113 wickets. From 18 ODIs, he grabbed 21 wickets. He also played six T20 Internationals.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: OBITUARY
Former FICCI president & Executive Chairman of KCP Group V.L. Dutt Passes Away
- L. Dutt, the executive chairman of KCP Group passed away.
- Dutt was the past president of FICCI, All India Organisation of Employers, ICC India, Indian Sugar Mills Association, Cement Manufacturers Association and Andhra Chamber of Commerce. He was also the past vice-chairman of ICC’s Commission on International Trade and Investment Policy, Paris.
- He was also awarded the Medal of Friendship by the President of the Socialist Republic of Vietnam, Mr. Tran Dai Quang, in 2017.
DAILY CA 20TH FEB
- World Day of Social Justice :20 February 2020
- Govt to set up Central Consumer Protection Authority by first week of April
- Union Cabinet approves constitution of 22nd Law Commission of India
- Cabinet approves phase two of Swachh Bharat Mission Grameen
- Cabinet approves constitution of empowered Technology Group
- Govt to launch Tilhan Mission to boost oilseed production
- India to switch to world’s cleanest petrol, diesel from April 1
- Nepal celebrates 70th National Democracy Day
- Bangladesh to enhance Mongla Port Capacity
- UK announces new points-based visa system
- Seminar on Indian Defence Equipment held in Dhaka
- Special Economic Zones continue to take lead in expanding exports
- Gujarat govt partners with SBI to facilitate MSME loans
- Rs 1,931 crore Nabard loan for Chintalapudi LIS
- Fintech startup Lendingkart partners with Northern Arc Capital
- Andhra Pradesh CM Jagan to launch hospital Nadu-Nedu
- Lithium reserve found in Mandya near Bengaluru
- Uttarakhand govt organises wellness summit
- PM-led panel names President’s secretary Sanjay Kothari as next CVC, ex-IAS officer Bimal Julka to be CIC
- Supratim Bandyopadhyay named new PFRDA Chairman
- Mahant Nritya Gopal Das elected as President of Ram Mandir Trust
- Ratan Tata conferred honorary doctorate by UK university
- Biocon Chairman Kiran Mazumdar Shaw gets EY’s ‘Entrepreneur of the Year’ award
- Pakistan Test Launches Ra’ad II Nuclear-Capable Air-Launched Cruise Missile
- IISc ranks 16th among top 100 universities of emerging economies
- India jumps five ranks to 35th in Worldwide Education for the Future Index 2019
- CSIR tops scientific research institutional ranking
- GRSE delivers the 4th Anti-Submarine Warfare Corvette, INS Kavaratti
- India-Russia defence deals set to cross $16 bn; to include S-400 systems, Kalashnikov rifles
- India to host AFC Women’s Asian Cup in 2022
- Asian Wrestling C’ships: Indian wrestlers win three bronze medals in Greco-Roman events
- Veteran Kannada actor Kishori Ballal passes away
DAILY CA 21TH FEB
- Centre releases Rs 19,950 cr as GST compensation to states, UTs
- Fourth Anniversary of Shyama Prasad Mukherji Rurban Mission to be observed on 21st feb
- V Prez inaugurates four-day Indian Students’ Parliament in New Delhi
- CPCB identifies 60 pollution river stretches in northeastern states
- Sri Lanka: Government decides to withdraw from UNHRC consensus resolutions
- India attends SCO defence and security experts meeting in Pakistan
- Kotak Mahindra Bank gets RBI nod on promoters’ stake dilution plan
- India needs to invest USD 109 billion to halve its road accident fatalities in next decade: World Bank
- Ganga Kayak Festival organised in Uttarakhand
- Tamil Nadu, Karnataka to observe Jayalalithaa’s birth anniversary as ‘Girl Children Protection Day’
- UP govt allots Rs 2,000 cr for Jewar airport in budget
- Haryana govt to open Atal Kisan – Majdoor canteens to provide meals at concessional rate
- Tripura: Bharat-Bangla Tourism festival begans in Agartala
- Arunachal Pradesh celebrates 34th Statehood Day
- EESL inks pact with BSNL for 1,000 EV charging stations across country
- Indian freelance journalist Ahmer Khan wins AFP’s Kate Webb Prize for covering ‘challenging’ Kashmir
- S Jaishankar inaugurates Indian pavilion at Berlin International Film Festival
- NE Sustainable Development Goals Conclave to be held in Assam
- Solar Powered PHASA-35 Completes First Test Flight In Australia
- SCSC launches new app to make women feel safe
- Personal reading scanner machine for visually impaired
- Union Minister Shri Prakash Javadekar unveils India/Bharat 2020
- India ranks 77th on sustainability, 131st in child flourishing index rankings
- India to send its largest military aircraft to evacuate more Indians from Wuhan
- P V Sindhu wins third successive ESPN’s Female Sportsperson of the Year award
- Divya Kakran wins a gold medal at Asian Wrestling Championships
- Pragyan Ojha announces retirement from international, 1st-class cricket
- Former FICCI president & Executive Chairman of KCP Group L. Dutt Passes Away