Dear Readers, Daily Current Affairs News Updates about the National and International events were listed here. Read Current Affairs Today here and stay updated with current news. Candidates those who are preparing for IBPS/SBI/PO/Clerk exam and all other competitive exams can use this and try Current Affairs Quiz to test your knowledge level.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: DAYS
World Alzheimer’s Day
- World Alzheimer’s Day is observed on 21 September to raise awareness among people about the challenges that patient faces due to dementia.
- September 2019 will mark the 8th World Alzheimer’s Month. The campaign was launched in 2012.
- The theme for World Alzheimer’s Month 2019 will be raising awareness and challenging stigma.
Rose Day (Welfare of Cancer patients)
- Rose Day is observed on 22 September every year. It is for the welfare of cancer patients.
- The day marks hope for cancer patients that cancer is curable.
- This day is celebrated in the memory of a 12 year old Melinda Rose of Canada, who when diagnosed with a rare form of blood cancer and did not give up hope.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: NATIONAL
Shri Amit Shah launches Emergency Response Support System (ERSS- Dial 112), ‘E-Beat Book’ System and ‘E-Saathi’ App
- Union Minister for Home Affairs, Shri Amit Shah launched three citizen centric services of the Chandigarh Police, in Chandigarh. The services include the Emergency Response Support System (ERSS – Dial 112), ‘E-Beat Book’ System and the ‘E-Saathi App’.
- ERSS is one of the key projects of the Union Ministry of Home Affairs under Nirbhaya Fund. It has been designed to play a pivotal role in mitigation or preventing escalation of crime, especially against women and children.
- ERSS provides a single emergency number (112), computer aided dispatch of field resources to the location of distress. Citizens can send their emergency information through call, sms, email and through the 112 India mobile app.
- The ‘E-Beat Book’ is a web and mobile based application which will ease the collection, updation and analysis of the information related to crime and criminals in a real time.
- The E-Beat Book would be linked with Crime and Criminal Tracking Network & Systems (CCTNS), which would help in a real time updation of crime/criminal data. The citizen can directly approach the‘Atal Sehbhagita Kendra’ for redressal of their grievances and can render their suggestions too.
- The ‘E-Saathi’ App would help the general public, including senior citizens, to remain in touch with the police and also give suggestions to facilitate participative community policing(‘Your Police at Your Doorstep’ initiative). The beat officer would be able to provide services like passport verification, tenant verification, servant verification, character certification etc. at a click of a button through the app, without the people needing to visit the police station.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: STATE
NTPC to build 5GW solar park in Gujarat
- NTPC Ltd. plans to set up a 5 gigawatt solar park in Gujarat, which would be the biggest in the country, as the top electricity generator shifts toward cleaner energy.
- A site has been identified for the project, which is expected to cost as much as₹25,000 crore ($3.5 billion) and begin operations by 2024.
- The plan is part of the NTPC’s aim to build 32 gigawatts of renewable capacity by 2032 and reduce the share of fossil fuels in its energy mix to 70 per cent from about 96 per cent now.
- Government regulations to cap emissions from coal-fired power plants, which increase the costs of building such projects, have also prompted NTPC to turn to green energy for growth.
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi is targeting 175 gigawatts of renewable capacity by 2022.
|National Thermal Power Corporation Limited (NTPC)|
|Chairman & MD||Gurdeep Singh|
CURRENT AFFAIRS: BANKING AND FINANCE
RBI increases sanctioned limit for Classification of Exports under priority Sector to Rs 400 million
- Enhance the sanctioned limit, for classification of export credit under PSL, from ₹ 250 million per borrower to ₹ 400 million per borrower.
- Remove the existing criteria of ‘units having turnover of up to ₹ 1 billion’.
|RBI Governor||Shaktikant Das|
|RBI Deputy Governor||BP Kanungo, N S Vishwanathan, and Mahesh Kumar Jain|
Bank of Baroda launches agri digital platform
- Bank of Baroda launched its agri digital platform “Baroda Kisan”.
- The platform can also be accessed on mobiles by farmers.
- The web-based portal will cater to all the needs of farmers, including weather forecasts, crop conditions, the moisture levels of the soil, information on crop worms, market prices, special crop-related consultation.
- Further, it will also help farmers with inputs related to the purchase of different products, (For example – seeds, fertilizers, pesticides), agricultural equipment on rent, consultancy services and innovative financing options for the sale of agricultural products.
- The Bank also launched centralised processing hubs at Gandhinagar and Hyderabad of agriculture proposals. It also introduced two loan schemes.
- One of the schemes was meant for the construction and renovation of toilets as well as domestic drinking water facilities under Swachh Bharat Abhiyan, while the would help the people with the construction of houses in rural areas.
|Bank of Baroda CEO||P. S. Jayakumar|
|Bank of Baroda Headquarters||Vadodara|
|Bank of Baroda Tagline||India’s International Bank|
RBI sets timelines for reversal of failed electronic transactions
- The Reserve Bank of India (RBI) released a framework for turnaround time (TAT) for failed transactions and compensation for customers, saying this will bring in uniformity in processing of the failed transactions.
- The central bank also prescribed auto reversal timelines for failed transactions. In cases where a customer’s account has been debited but cash not dispensed from an automated teller machine (ATM), the bank will have to pro-actively reverse failed transactions within a maximum of T + 5 days or within five days of the failed transaction. Failing to reverse within five days will lead to the bank paying ₹100 per day to the account holder.
- In the case of point of sale (PoS) transactions and including cash at PoS, where account is debited but confirmation not received at merchant location or charge-slip not generated, the same five-day reversal period has been granted.
- For Immediate Payment System (IMPS) and Unified Payments Interface (UPI) transactions, the central bank has asked banks to reverse it within a day of the failed transaction.
- Failed transactions shall also include the credits which could not be effected to the beneficiary account on account of lack of full information or lack of proper information and delay in initiating a reversal transaction.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: APPOINTMENTS AND RESIGNATION
Madhukar Kamath elected chairman of the Audit Bureau of Circulations
- Madhukar Kamath, chairman emeritus of DDB Mudra group and mentor of Interbrand India, has been elected chairman of the Audit Bureau of Circulations (ABC) for 2019-20.
- Kamath has also been the president of Advertising Agencies Association of India.
Royal Bank of Scotland picks Alison Rose as its first woman CEO
- Royal Bank of Scotland Group Plc promoted Alison Rose to chief executive officer, making her the first woman to run one of Britain’s big four lenders.
- Rose, the former head of British commercial and private banking at RBS.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: SUMMITS AND CONFERENCE
16th Session of the Joint Economic Commission between India and Belgium Luxembourg Economic Union
- The 16th Session of the Joint Economic Commission (JEC) between India and Belgium Luxembourg Economic Union (BLEU) was convened in New Delhi.
- The Session was co-chaired by AnupWadhawan, Commerce Secretary with Ms. Sylvie Lucas, Secretary General of the Ministry of Foreign and European Affairs of Luxembourg.
- India and BLEU side reiterated the importance of the JEC towards the development of bilateral economic and trade relations through facilitating dialogue and enhancing cooperation on a wide range of issues of mutual interest, such as, transportation and logistics, renewable energy, aerospace and satellites, audio and visual industry, agro and food processing industry, life sciences, ICT, traditional medicine, Ayurveda and yoga, and tourism.
- The India and BLEU sides resolved that dynamic nature of commercial exchanges seen in the last few years is reflected in the increasing number of companies interested in establishing and gaining access to respective markets and signing of MoU among the three Countries for cooperation in multiple fields of mutual interest.
- Joint Economic Commission between India and Belgium – Luxembourg Economic Union (India-BLEU) was established in 1997 and is the main vehicle for discussing bilateral economic and commercial issues.
- The focus of bilateral relations has been on trade and investment. India is Belgium’s second largest export destination and fourth largest trade partner outside the European Union with a significant contribution from the Indian diaspora.
19th CII – NID India Design Summit 2019 in Goa
- The Confederation of Indian Industries in association with National Institute of Design and Indian Design Council called 19th India Design Summit at Dona Paula in Goa. The theme of the Summit was ‘Design for Society’.
- Designers play important role in planning development. They provide proper road map, indications which help to achieve desired target.
- The theme of the Summit is design for Society is itself reflects the very objective.
- The summit is a platform to create partnership between the discipline of design and organizations leading to innovation and increased economic competitiveness to synergize, find new methods of working together with an attitude of openness, cooperation, and exploration, bring the traditional fields of design in partnership with the fields of technology and business towards the development of new products, both real and virtual.
37th GST Council Meeting For 2019 Held in Panaji, Goa
- The 37th Good and Service Tax (GST) Council Meeting under the Chairmanship of Union Finance & Corporate Affairs Minister Smt Nirmala Sitharaman was held in Panaji, Goa.
- It was attended by Union Minister of State for Finance & Corporate Affairs Shri Anurag Thakur, Chief Minister of Goa Shri Pramod Sawant, Finance Ministers of States & Union territories (UTs) and senior officers of the Ministry of Finance.
- GST Council recommends lower 12% cess on 1,500 cc diesel, 1,200 cc petrol vehicles with capacity to carry up to 13 people.
- Group insurance schemes for paramilitary forces under the Home Affairs ministry to be exempted from GST.
- GST rate on caffeinated beverages raised from 18% to 28% with 12% compensation cess.
- Uniform GST rate of 12% to be levied on polypropylene bags and sacks used for packing of goods
- GST exempted on specified defence goods not manufactured in India.
- Rate levied on cut and polished semi precious stones has been dropped from 3% to 0.25%.
- Jewellery exports to now attract zero GST.
- GST on fishmeal used by fishermen being exempted from July 2017 to September 30 this year. There was lack of clarity on their GST coverage and no tax was collected so that has been resolved.
- Aerated drink manufacturers shall not be under the composition scheme anymore.
- Uniform GST rate of 12% to be levied on polypropylene bags and sacks used for packing of goods.
- GST rate hiked on railway wagon, coaches from 5% to 12%.
- Rate reduction on hotel accommodation services.
- For Transaction value per unit per day of ₹1000 or less, will attract nil GST. For ₹1001 upto₹7500, now the tax rate will be 12%. Anything above ₹7501 will attract 18%. It was 28% till now.
- Job work services related to diamonds reduced from 5% to 1.5%. For machine job works in engineering industry, GST down from 18 to 12. But bus body building works still taxed at 18%.
- All these rate changes will be effective from October 1 2019.
|Ministry of Finance & Corporate Affairs|
|Union Minister||Nirmala Sitharaman|
|Constituency||Rajya Sabha (Karnataka)|
CURRENT AFFAIRS: AWARDS AND HONORS
Sonu Nigam wins 21st Century Icon Award in UK
- Popular Bollywood playback singer Sonu Nigam has been honoured with the Magnificent Performing Arts Award at the annual 21st Century Icon Awards in London.
- Nigam was among a host of winners across a range of categories at a gala awards ceremony, devised as a celebration of dynamic entrepreneurs and successful individuals chosen from hundreds of nominations from around the world.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: RANKING
IIT Bombay top Indian institute in QS Graduate Employability Rankings 2020
- The Indian Institute of Bombay (IIT-B) leads India’s representation in the latest QS Graduate Employability Rankings 2020 with a 111-120 band ranking, up from 141-150 band last year.
- At 151-160 band and 171-180 band, IIT Delhi and IIT Madras formed the three best ranked Indian institutes in the latest rankings.
- The 2020 edition of the QS’ Graduate Employability Rankings has been topped by the Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT).
- Stanford University is second and the University of California, Los Angeles (UCLA) is at third place.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: SPORTS
Amit Panghal becomes first Indian male boxer to win World Championships silver
- Amit Panghal settled for silver medal at World Boxing Championships after he lost to Uzbekistan’s Shakhobidin Zoirov in the 52kg category final.
- He became the first Indian male pugilist to win a silver metal in World Championships.
- The second-seeded Panghal became the first Indian male boxer to finish second in the world event and the country achieved its best ever medal haul of two.
- Manish Kaushik (63kg) had signed off with a bronze earlier, after losing in the semifinals.
World Wrestling Championships
- Rahul Aware wins a bronze in the 61kg category at the World Championships in Nur-Sultan, Kazakhstan.
- Aware defeated USA’s Tyler Lee Graff, the 2017 Pan-America champion, 11-4 in the 61kg playoff.
- Rahul, originally a 57kg wrestler (Olympic category) went to the World Championships in the 61kg as he had put on some extra kilos in the past few months.
- Ravi Kumar Dahiya clinching a bronze and a Tokyo quota in the 57kg category, Rahul’s entry to his original category ahead of the 2020 Games looks blocked.
- Both BajrangPunia and Ravi Dahiya have already qualified for the Tokyo Olympics 2020 by qualifying for the bronze medal round.
Sebastian Vettel wins Singapore GP, Hamilton finishes fourth
- German racing driver, Sebastian Vettel (Ferrari) has won the Formula One Singapore Grand Prix 2019.
- Charles Leclerc remained on second position while Max Verstappen was third. Lewis Hamilton is on fourth.