Dear Readers, Daily Current Affairs News Updates about the National and International events were listed here. Read Current Affairs here and stay updated with current news. Candidates those who are preparing for IBPS/SBI/PO/Clerk exam and all other competitive exams can use this and try Current Affairs Quiz to test your knowledge level.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: NATIONAL
Jitendra Singh launches Bhuvan Panchayat V3 web Portal
- Union Minister of State for PMO Dr Jitendra Singh launched the Bhuvan Panchayat V3 web Portal that will enhance network application of gram panchayats. The Portal will function with the help of satellite technology developed by
- Inaugurating the web portal in Anthariksh Bhavan, ISRO Head Quarters in Bengaluru, Indian space technology is designed to benefit every Indian household. The workshop on space-based information support for decentralized planning s will connect gram panchayats and help the flow of information.
- The minister stated, space technology is an essential tool to realize Prime Minister Narendra Modi’s dream of new India. On this occasion, Dr Jitendra Singh released a technical document on space-based information support for decentralized planning.
India, France discuss on ways & means on co-production of films: Javadekar
- Information and Broadcasting Minister Prakash Javadekar held an extensive meeting with a French delegation led by the Culture Minister of France Franck Riester.
- India and France discussed on ways and means on co-production of films and also collaborate in audio visual exchanges. Both the Ministers agreed to have a joint working group towards implementation of the objectives.
- He further stated that these schemes can assist entrepreneurs to establish market linkage across the country and also for exports to ASEAN countries.
V Prez, PM pay tribute to Lala Lajpat Rai on his birth anniversary
- Vice President and Prime Minister paid tribute to Punjab Kesari Lala Lajpat Rai on his birth anniversary. Vice President M Venkaiah Naidu said, Lala Lajpat Rai was a fierce nationalist and his remarkable and heroic role during the Vandemataram movement and Simon go-back agitation and his patriotism will continue to inspire every Indian.
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi stated, his saga of sacrificing life for the independence of the nation will always inspire the countrymen.
SC allows introduction of African cheetah in India
- The Supreme Court allowed the Centre to introduce the African cheetah to a suitable habitat in India.
- Stating that the rare Indian cheetah is almost extinct in the country, the National Tiger Conservation Authority (NTCA) had filed an application seeking permission for the introduction of the African cheetah from Namibia.
- The apex court set up a three-member committee, comprising former director Wildlife of India Ranjit Singh, DG of Wildlife of India Dhananjay Mohan, and DIG, Wildlife, Ministry of Environment and Forests to guide the NTCA in taking a decision on the issue.
- A Bench comprising Chief Justice SA Bobde and Justices BR Gavai and Surya Kant stated that the apex court will monitor the project and the committee will submit its report every four months.
- The top court also stated the decision for relocation of the African cheetah will be taken after a proper survey and the action of introduction of the animal will be left to the NTCA’s discretion.
- It stated the NCTA will be guided by the committee of experts who will carry out a survey for the best location.
- It was submitted before the apex court that the African cheetah will be introduced on an experimental basis in the best suitable habitat to see whether it can adapt to Indian conditions.
2280 crore rupees projects financed under JKIDFC in this financial year in J&K
- IN a major push to development in Jammu and Kashmir, around 1,256 projects worth 2280 crore rupees financed under J&K Infrastructure Development Finance Corporation, are being completed by end of March.
- All government departments have been asked to handover the completed infrastructure development projects under JKIDFC, before the commencement of the third week of March for their formal inauguration.
- Among these 422 projects belong to PHE, 180 to R&B, 168 to PDD, 76 to I&FC department, 104 to School Education, 77 to Youth Services, 50 to Health and 48 each to Housing and Industries departments.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: INTERNATIONAL
European Parliament to discuss India’s anti-CAA resolution on January 29
- The European Parliament will discuss the draft resolution on Citizenship Amendment Act (CAA) during a plenary session.
- The 154 members EP members drafted the five-page resolution fearing that the recently enacted legislation by India could trigger the “largest statelessness crisis in the world.
- The resolution describes the CAA as “discriminatory” and “dangerously divisive” but also a “violation of India’s international obligations under the International Covenant on Civil and Political Rights”.
- India adopted the CAA in December last year that grants citizenship rights to the persecuted minorities of neighbouring countries, including Pakistan, Afghanistan and
- However, the legislation has triggered the fears of the Muslim community since its enactment as the naturalisation of non-Muslim refugees, namely undocumented migrants from the Hindu, Sikh, Buddhist, Jain, Parsi or Christian communities of Afghanistan, Bangladesh or Pakistan, who entered India on or before December 31, 2014,” the resolution stated.
- It also called the CAA “explicitly discriminatory in nature” as it excludes Muslims from having access to the same provisions as other religious groups.
- The resolution has also called on the Indian government to ensure the right to peaceful protest is allowed and to guarantee the life and physical integrity of those who choose to protest.
India successfully used digital technologies to reduce disparities among population groups: UN
- India successfully managed to use digital platforms to reduce disparities among population groups, a flagship UN study has said, noting that the country’s experience of complementing mobile technologies with the Aadhaar identification system to reduce inequality is likely to be replicated in other countries in future.
- The World Social Report 2020, published by the UN Department of Economic and Social Affairs (DESA), India harnessed the potential of digital technologies for more inclusive development.
- In the report, the UN said the experience of India suggests that mobile digital technologies need to be complemented by other technologies to reduce inequality in access to financial services.
- “India managed to achieve more equal access to financial accounts by complementing mobile technologies with a national system of digital IDs and an affordable electricity system that provides an uninterrupted supply of stable current,” it futher stated.
- Given that many developing countries currently have digital ID systems and some countries are on track to achieve universal access to modern energy during the 2020s, the report said: “the experience of India is likely to be replicated in other countries in the near future.”
- Secretary general: António Guterres
- Headquarters: New York, United States
- Deputy secretary general: Amina J. Mohammed
- General assembly president : Tijjani Muhammad-Bande
CURRENT AFFAIRS: BANKING AND FINANCE
Mudra loans: Banks sanction Rs.40,000 crore in last two months
- Banks have stepped up disbursal of loans under Pradhan Mantri Mudra Yojana (PMMY) in the last two months by disbursing more than ₹40,000 crore.
- As on January 24, 2020, the disbursal of Mudra loans sanctioned stood at ₹1,97,816 crore, while the disbursed loan amount was ₹1,91,970 crore, according to government data.
- At the end of November 2019, disbursal was only at ₹51-lakh crore, which means a little less than one-third of the total loans disbursed was done from December 2019 till date. “There has been a step-up in Mudra loans in the last two months.
- PMMY is a scheme of the Centre, which was launched in April 2015, for providing loans up to ₹10 lakh to the non-corporate, non-farm small/micro enterprises. These loans are classified as MUDRA loans under PMMY.
- These are collateral-free loans under three categories – Shishu (up to ₹50,000), Kishore (between ₹50,000 and ₹5 lakh) and Tarun (₹10 lakh). These loans are given by commercial banks, RRBs, small finance banks (SFBs), MFIs and NBFCs. Public sector banks, however, have been the major channels of distribution, with a lion’s share in the total disbursals since the beginning of the scheme.
- However, with more than 21 crore loans worth about ₹11-lakh crore under the scheme since 2015, there have been growing concerns with the RBI cautioning banks on rising non-performing assets (NPAs).
- Notably, it is the Shishu loan account that forms the highest chunk of NPAs.
UK launches 4-mn pound Innovation Challenge Fund in India
- The UK government has launched 4 million pound (about Rs 37 crore) fund in India to support collaborative research into emerging technologies.
- Innovation Challenge Fund will encourage industry and academia to collaborate and develop tech solutions for social, economic and environmental challenges in India.
- The initiative is focused on two major tech clusters: artificial intelligence/ data in Karnataka and future mobility in Maharashtra.
- The successful bidders will likely have international partners, including from the UK,
- The challenge fund is looking for proposals in areas of safety and convenience, technology leap (energy storage tech, temperature-controlled transport, drone mobility), connectivity, and recycling and upgrading apart from smart mobility.
- Capital: London
- Constituent countries: England; Scotland; Wales; Northern Ireland
- Prime minister: Boris Johnson
CURRENT AFFAIRS: STATES
Mamata Banerjee’s Bengal becomes 4th state to pass anti-CAA resolution
- West Bengal became the fourth opposition-ruled state to pass a resolution against the Citizenship Amendment Act (CAA) in its assembly, after Kerala, Punjab and Rajasthan.
- The West Bengal state assembly had previously passed a similar resolution against NRC in September 2019.
- Keralawas the first state to pass a resolution demanding the withdrawal of the CAA law. The state passed the anti-CAA resolution in a special assembly session on December 31, 2019.
- The state’sChief Minister Pinarayi Vijayan defended the anti-CAA resolution saying that the citizenship amendment act was against the secular outlook of India and it would lead to religion-based discrimination in the nation over the granting of citizenship.
About west Bengal :
- World Bank’s 300 million USD plan to Develop Kolkata
- West Bengal celebrates ‘Rosogolla Dibas’ to mark GI Tag granting
- On the occasion of Durga Puja, West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee presented Biswa Bangla Sharad Samman 2019 to 79 community Durga Pujas that received awards in different categories.
- West Bengal govt. to set up Kanyashree University in Nadia district to empower girls
India’s first underwater metro in Kolkata to be finally ready by March 2022
- Kolkata Metro Rail Corp. expects to complete its East-West project, which runs partly under the city’s iconic Hooghly river, by March 2022 after a delay of several years doubled costs.
- The authority is awaiting a final installment of 200 million rupees ($2.8 million) over the next two years from the Indian Railway Board.
- A soft loan of 6 billion rupees from Japan International Cooperation Agency helps fund 48.5% of the project.
- The new line is expected to carry about 900,000 people daily, — roughly 20% of the city’s population — and will take less than a minute to cross a 520-meter underwater tunnel. Depending on the time of day, it takes some 20 minutes to use the ferry and anywhere upward of an hour to cross the Howrah bridge.
- 74% of the East-West metro project is owned by India’s Railway & remaining 26% by the nation’s Ministry of Housing & Urban Affairs.
About West bengal:
- Governor: Jagdeep Dhankhar
- Capital: Kolkata
- Chief minister :Mamta
Mangaluru Smart City, IGBC ink pact
- The Indian Green Building Council (IGBC) and Mangaluru Smart City Ltd (MSCL) have signed a memorandum of understanding (MoU) for sustainable development in
- Mohammed Nazeer, Managing Director of MSCL, and DB Mehta, Chairman of the Mangaluru chapter of IGBC, signed the MoU in Mangaluru .
- The MoU envisages a joint assessment study to evaluate the green criteria of Mangaluru as per IGBC Green Cities rating system.
- It also aims at capacity building of professionals involved in the development of Mangaluru as a smart and green city.
- Stating that MSCL is the first smart city in the country to enter into an MoU with IGBC, Mehta stated MSCL and IGBC would also jointly work towards development of green buildings in Mangaluru.
- The two parties shall work together towards incentivising green buildings rating system to suit various types of construction projects.
Maharashtra CM inaugurates 18.5 km-long stretch of Nagpur Metro Aqua line
- In Maharashtra, Chief Minister Uddhav Thackeray inaugurated 5 kilometre-long stretch of Nagpur Metro Aqua line of Maha Metro Rail Network in Nagpur through video conferencing.
- The Phase-I of Nagpur Metro is completed in record time. He appealed the citizens of Nagpur and state to take responsibility to maintain the cleanliness in Metro so that it can attract the tourists and passengers not only from India but from worldwide.
- Union Minister Nitin Gadkari stated that the proposed Broad-Gauge Metro network will connect the satellite towns like Wardha, Bhandara, Gondia, Chandrapur near Nagpur city.
- The Broad-Gauge Metro Rail which will be consisting metro coaches with speeding capacity of 120 kilometre per hour will be spread across Indian Railways. He also hoped to manufacture the rolling stock of this Broad-Gauge Metro at Sindi Dry port in Wardha district in order to reduce the manufacturing cost of rolling stock.
- The newly inaugurated Nagpur Metro Aqua line passing over the Ambazari lake in city will connect the east and west parts of the city. This Metro line will facilitate the commuters coming from Maharashtra Industrial Development Corporation’s Hingana area and adjoining areas of the outskirts of the city.
- Nagpur Metro is the Greenest Metro deriving 65 per cent of its power consumption from Solar Energy. Nagpur Metro network is now operational up to 24.5 kilometres.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: APPOINTMENTS AND RESIGNATION
Sheikh Khalid bin Khalifa named new Qatari PM
- Emir Sheikh Tamim bin Hamad Al Thani had accepted the resignation of Prime Minister Sheikh Abdullah bin Nasser bin Khalifa Al Thani.
- The emir named Sheikh Khalid bin Khalifa bin Abdulaziz Al Thani as the Gulf state’s new prime minister and interior minister.
- Sheikh Khalid took the oath of office before the emir, in a ceremony also attended by Deputy Emir Sheikh Abdullah bin Hamad Al Thani.
- The new prime minister had been the head of the Amiri Diwan.
- Prime minister: Abdullah bin Nasser bin Khalifa Al Thani
- Capital: Doha
- Currency: Qatari riyal
EU Appoints Joao Vale De Almeida As First Ambassador To Post-brexit UK
- Portuguese diplomat Joao Vale de Almeida as EU’s top envoy to London.
- Joao Vale de Almeida has previously served as an ambassador for the European Union in Washington and the United Nations.
- Vale de has worked as a journalist before joining the European Commission in 1982.
- The European Union is a political and economic union of 28 member states that are located primarily in Europe.
- It is headquartered in Brussels, Belgium.
Slovenian prime minister announces resignation
- Slovenia’s prime minister announced his resignation and called for early general elections.
- Marjan Sarec served as premier in a minority government set up after general elections in 2018.
- Slovenia is a member of the EU and has a population of slightly over 2 million.
- According to reports the next election will be conducted in the middle of 2022 but the resignation of PM Marjan Sarec may call for early elections.
- Capital- Ljubljana
- Currency- Euro
Taranjit Singh Sandhu appointed India’s ambassador to US: MEA
- Seasoned diplomat Taranjit Singh Sandhu has been appointed as India’s Ambassador to the US, replacing Harsh Vardhan Shringla, the Ministry of External Affairs.
- Shringla is set to take over as the next foreign secretary
- Sandhu, a 1988-batch Indian Foreign Service officer, is currently posted as High Commissioner of India in Sri Lanka.
- His appointment to the high-profile job comes at a critical time when the US-India strategic partnership is deepening and also tensions are simmering in the Gulf region after the US killed top Iranian commander General Qasem Soleimani in a drone strike in Baghdad.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: AWARDS AND HONOURS
2020 Grammy Awards: The Full List Of Winners
- The 62nd edition of the Annual Grammy Awardsceremony was held on January 26, 2020 in Los Angeles.
- The 2020 Grammy Awards has wrapped, with Billie Eilish sweeping the top four categories — song, record, album and new artist. Other top awards went to Lizzo, Lil Nas X, Tanya Tucker and more.
- Record of the Year – “Bad Guy” – Billie Eilish
- Album of the Year – When We All Fall Asleep, Where Do We Go?– Billie Eilish
- Song of the Year – “Bad Guy” – Billie Eilish
- Best New Artist – Billie Eilish
- Best Pop Vocal Album – When We All Fall Asleep, Where Do We Go?– Billie Eilish
- Complete List of Winners
Assam tableau wins first prize at 71st Republic Day parade
- Defence Minister Rajnath Singh gave away Best Tableaux awards for Republic Day Parade, 2020 in New Delhi.
- Assam’s tableau which portrayed the unique craftsmanship and culture of the state has been chosen as the best tableau, followed by Odisha and Uttar Pradesh who were tied for the second position.
- Odisha’s tableau depicted Lord Lingaraja’s Rukuna Rath Yatra whereas the tableau of Uttar Pradesh showcased the state’s cultural and religious heritage.
- The tableaux of National Disaster Relief Force and Jal Shakti Mission were chosen as the best among the Ministries and Departments.
- Central Public Works Department got the Special Prize for their tableau which based on the theme – Kashmir se Kanyakumari.
Bajaj Housing Finance Limited Bags the BFSI Digital Innovation Awards 2020 for Cloud Solutions
- Bajaj Housing Finance Limited (BHFL), a 100% subsidiary of Bajaj Finance Limited, has won the ‘BFSI Digital Innovation Award‘ for Cloud Solutions at the recently held Express BFSI Technology Conclave and Awards 2020.
- Organised by the Express Computer, an IT business magazine from the Indian Express Group, the BFSI Technology Conclave and Awards, is one of the largest congregation of IT decision-makers, senior executives and partners in India.
- The event, held in Pune from January 24th-25th, 2020 witnessed the best from the BFSI sector participate as speakers and share their views on the way ahead for one of the biggest financial markets in the world
- The conclave ended with the BFSI Digital Innovation Awards which were given away to Indian Banks or Indian subsidiaries of MNC BFSI institutions in the BFSI industry that demonstrate the innovative use of a particular technology or a combination of technologies for distinct business benefit.
- There were 13 distinct categories – like Big Data, Enterprise Mobility, Data Center, Cloud, Artificial Intelligence, Enterprise Security, Blockchain and Enterprise Application among others..
About Bajaj Housing Finance Limited
- Headquarters–Pune, Maharashtra
- Chief Executive Officer (CEO)– Atul Jain
Indian environmental economist Pavan Sukhdev wins Tyler Prize for ‘green economy’ work
- Renowned Indian environmental economist and UN Environment Programme (UNEP) Goodwill Ambassador Pavan Sukhdev has won the 2020 Tyler Prize, regarded as the “Nobel Prize for the Environment” for his groundbreaking “green economy” work.
- Sukhdev, 59, who will receive the award alongside conservation biologist Gretchen Daily, has been acknowledged for his work on bringing the economic consequences of environmental degradation and loss to the attention of corporate and political decision-makers.
- The duo will receive the award at a private ceremony on May 1 here in the presence of Tyler Prize Executive Committee and distinguished members of the international environmental community.
- They will each receive a gold medallion and share a USD 200,000 cash prize.
- The Tyler Prize for Environmental Achievement is one of the oldest international environmental awards, recognizing individuals who have contributed in an outstanding manner to the scientific knowledge and public leadership to preserve and enhance the global environment.
- Often described as the “Nobel Prize for the Environment’, the Tyler Prize is administered by the University of Southern California.
- Sukhdev currently serves the World Wildlife Fund as President and Chairman of the Board as well as Board Member for TEEB Advisory Board, Stockholm Resilience Centre, and the Cambridge Conservation Initiative.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY
IIT-H team develops essential oil delivery system to treat fungal diseases
- Researchers from the Indian Institute of Technology, Hyderabad (IIT-H), have developed a novel delivery system based on essential oils in the treatment of diseases caused by
- In addition to treating infections without running the risk of inducing drug resistance, the drug thus delivered can counter fungi that have developed resistance to conventional, anti-fungal drugs.
- Microorganisms such as bacteria and fungi have a remarkable capacity to evolve resistance to antimicrobial agents used to destroy them. There are several instances of this and the drug industry is facing a big challenge with many antibiotics becoming less effective.
- As a follow-up of the findings, the researchers are developing a prototype, anti-fungal hygiene products with funding from the Biotechnology Industry Research Assistance Council (BIRAC).
- The IIT-H team turned to natural products to solve this problem. The idea of using carriers for controlled release of drugs has been around and various types of carriers, including polymeric microcapsules, nanoemulsions/colloids and hydrogels have been developed for various drugs.
Aunties, uncles, tube lights among 26 new Indian words in Oxford dictionary
- Aunties, uncles and tube lights have made it to the latest edition of the world’s best selling dictionary, Oxford with 26 new Indian English words being added to a total of 384 existing ones.
- The 384 words in the 10th edition of the Oxford Advanced Learner’s Dictionary come with an Indian English label, including 22 new additions in print and 26 in the online edition.
- These include headwords and also some individual meanings or idioms. Some of the new additions with an Indian-English label include Aadhaar (system of issuing a unique 12 digit identification to every individual in India), the Oxford Dictionaries Hindi Word of the Year for 2017, Chawl (a large building divided into separate apartments offering cheap and basic accommodation), Shaadi (wedding or marriage), Dabba (a container with a meal or snack) and Hartal (an occasion when all shops and businesses are closed in protest). However, the Oxford Dictionaries Hindi Word of the Year for 2018 – Nari Shakti, hasn’t made it to the OALD10e.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: DEFENCE
Operation Vanilla: India sends INS Airavat to provide aid to disaster-hit Madagascar
- Indian Navy launched Operation Vanilla in a bid to support the people of island nation Madagascar in the face of a natural disaster.
- Indian Navy stated, ‘As the first respondent, Indian Navy Ship Airavat, which was en-route to Seychelles has been diverted to Madagascar for rendering assistance.’
- The ship is carrying victualing, clothing and stores along with medicines. The ship is scheduled to reach Madagascar by 30 January 2020. As per the Navy ‘The ship will be able to provide clothing, emergency food, medical assistance, diving and communication assistance and undertake transportation and evacuation of personnel using its four large and two medium-sized boats.’
- INS Airavat is an amphibious assault ship and its missions also include humanitarian assistance and disaster relief (HADR).
- Madagascar has been hit by a Cyclone and there has been heavy flooding and landslides since last week causing loss of lives and displacement of a number of people.
- India’s assistance to Madagascar is in consonance with Indian Navy’s Foreign Cooperation initiatives in line with Prime Minister’s vision of ‘Security and Growth for all in the Region (SAGAR)’.
- In March 2018, President Ram Nath Kovind became the first Indian President to visit Madagascar. India and Madagascar signed a defence cooperation agreement during the visit of the Indian President.
- Madagascar is also a member of inter-governmental organisation Indian Ocean Rim Association (IORA).
- There are about 15,000 persons of India origin in Madagascar, including approximately 2500 Indian passport holders.
About Madagascar :
- Capital: Antananarivo
- Currency: Malagasy ariary
- President : Andry rajoelina
CURRENT AFFAIRS: SPORTS
India’s Esow Alben bags gold in men’s Keirin individual event of Six Day Berlin Tournament
- In Cycling, India’s Esow Alben has bagged a gold in the men’s Keirin individual event of the Six Day Berlin Tournament. The 18-year-old finished on top of the podium, earning 20 classification points .
- Czech Republic’s Tomas Babek, who won a silver in the 2017 World Championship, came in second while Maximilian Lev of Germany took home the bronze.
- Earlier in the competition, the teenager had won a bronze on day two followed by a silver medal on the fourth day in the individual Keirin event.
- The event is a six-day track cycling race. Each cyclist competes on every day of the competition.
North East Dr T Ao Trophy: Mizoram defeats Sikkim
- Two times champion Mizoram defeated Sikkim by a solitary goal to emerge as the champion of the Northeast T Ao Football Trophy 2020 at Indira Gandhi Stadium in Kohima. The first half saw a goalless draw. Mizoram midfielder David Lalrinmuana scored the lone goal in the 74th minute to secure the title for the team.
- While the champion team received a cash prize of 10 lakh rupees, the runners up got six 6 lakhs. Rhitsho Mero received the golden boot for his 10 goals.
- Meanwhile, Nagaland defeated Arunachal Pradesh by 4-2 to claim the third position. Nagaland received two lakh rupees and Arunachal Pradesh one Lakh rupees with a certificate.
- Chief Minister Nagaland Neiphiu Rio graced the Closing ceremony.
Young Grand Master Praggnanandhaa stuns former world champ Topalov
- Young Indian Grand Master R Praggnanandhaa pulled off a huge upset, beating former world champion Veselin Topalov in the sixth round of the 18th Gibraltar Chess Festival to record his fifth straight win here.
- The 14-year old Chennai lad needed just 33 moves to put it across the Bulgarian. He had started with a loss against compatriot P V Nandhidhaa but since then he has been on a winning spree.
- A bunch of players including Indians — B Adhiban, K Sasikiran, Shardul Gagare, Karthikeyan Murali, last year’s runner-up here, SL Narayanan — are in joint third place with 4.5 points.
- Adhiban beat Gabriel Flom, while D Gukesh, the world’s second youngest Grand Master ever, defeated Martin Percivaldi to move to four points. Also winning were Karthikeyan Murali against Qi B Chen and Gagare over France’s Maxime Lagarde.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: OBITUARY
Veteran south actress Jameela Malik passes away
- Veteran actress Jameela Malik, known for her critically acclaimed roles in a handful of movies in Malayalam, Tamil and Telugu, besides television serials, passed away.
- Jameela, who had shared screen space with doyens like Prem Nazir and Adoor Bhasi during the 1970-80 period, was the first Keralite woman to graduate from the prestigious Film and Television Institute of India (FTII) in Pune.
Veteran film producer Vinay Sinha passes away
- Veteran film producer Vinay Sinha who contributed to films like ‘Andaz Apna Apna’ and ‘Rafoo Chakkar’ passed away.
- Sinha also produced popular hindi films such as ‘Rafoo Chakkar’, ‘Naseeb’, ’Chor police’, ’Ameer Aadmi Gharib Aadmi’ and also few TV (television) shows.
Former women’s hockey team captain Sunita Chandra passes away
- Former Indian women’s hockey team captain Sunita Chandra passed away.
- She had played for the Indian women’s hockey team between 1956 to 1966 and served as skipper from 1963 to 1966.
Netherlands legend Rob Rensenbrink passes away
- Former Netherlands winger Rob Rensenbrink has passed away at the age of 72.
- Rensenbrink also played in the teams which won European Cup Winners Cup in 1974 and 1978.
DAILY CA – 28th JAN
- International Day of Commemoration in memory of the victims of the Holocaust-27TH January
- Govt invites bids to sell 100 % stake in Air India
- Amit Shah to chair Central Zonal Council meeting in Chhattisgarh
- PM Modi to attend NCC rally in New Delhi.
- Indian Railways to run 100% on electricity by 2024: Piyush Goyal
- WHO increases global risk degree of novel coronavirus from moderate to high
- NABARD pegs credit potential at Rs 90,000 crore for Odisha
- UCBs report frauds worth ₹220 cr in last five fiscals: RBI
- BSE signs licensing agreement with ICE Futures Europe
- Paytm Payments Bank to help identify rogue apps that could trigger fraud transactions
- TCS BaNCS powers operations of merged Tamil Nadu Grama Banks
- OPPO signs pact with IIT Hyderabad for R&D
- India’s First Super Fab Lab That Can Produce ‘Almost Any Machinery’ Inaugurated In Kochi
- Shiv Sena-led Maharashtra govt launches its much-awaited ‘Shiv Bhojan’ scheme
- Andhra Pradesh assembly unanimously passes resolution to abolish State Legislative Council
- National Handloom Expo 2020 kicks off at Bhubaneswar
- Election Commission award for The Hindu Tamil
- Sneha Pamneja wins Oxford Bookstore Book Cover Prize for ”Tiffin”
- Andy Serkis to receive Bafta for outstanding contribution to cinema
- Anil Khanna nominated as Life President of ATF
- Senior bureaucrat B Anand appointed secretary of National Commission for Minorities
- Sunil Mehta takes over as Chief Executive of Indian Banks’ Association
- Prime Minister to Address the 3rd Global Potato Conclave, Gandhinagar, Gujarat
- France will be guest of honour at New Delhi World Book Fair 2022
- GRSE set to deliver anti-submarine warfare corvette INS Kavaratti to Navy soon
- The Rao’ power of ‘Mission Shakti’
- Sahityacharya Dr Golok Chandra Goswami passes away
- Former Karnataka minister K Amarnath Shetty passes away
- Noted artist, sculptor Sher Singh Kukkal passes away
DAILY CA – 29th JAN
- Jitendra Singh launches Bhuvan Panchayat V3 web Portal
- India, France discuss on ways & means on co-production of films: Javadekar
- V Prez, PM pay tribute to Lala Lajpat Rai on his birth anniversary
- SC allows introduction of African cheetah in India
- 2280 crore rupees projects financed under JKIDFC in this financial year in J&K
- European Parliament to discuss India’s anti-CAA resolution on January 29
- India successfully used digital technologies to reduce disparities among population groups: UN
- Mudra loans: Banks sanction ₹40,000 crore in last two months
- UK launches 4-mn pound Innovation Challenge Fund in India
- Mamata Banerjee’s Bengal becomes 4th state to pass anti-CAA resolution
- India’s first underwater metro in Kolkata to be finally ready by March 2022
- Mangaluru Smart City, IGBC ink pact
- Maharashtra CM inaugurates 5 km-long stretch of Nagpur Metro Aqua line
- Sheikh Khalid bin Khalifa named new Qatari PM
- EU Appoints Joao Vale De Almeida As First Ambassador To Post-brexit UK
- Slovenian prime minister announces resignation
- Taranjit Singh Sandhu appointed India’s ambassador to US: MEA
- 2020 Grammy Awards: The Full List Of Winners
- Assam tableau wins first prize at 71st Republic Day parade
- Bajaj Housing Finance Limited Bags the BFSI Digital Innovation Awards 2020 for Cloud Solutions
- Indian environmental economist Pavan Sukhdev wins Tyler Prize for ‘green economy’ work
- IIT-H team develops essential oil delivery system to treat fungal diseases
- Aunties, uncles, tube lights among 26 new Indian words in Oxford dictionary
- Operation Vanilla: India sends INS Airavat to provide aid to disaster-hit Madagascar
- India’s Esow Alben bags gold in men’s Keirin individual event of Six Day Berlin Tournament
- North East Dr T Ao Trophy: Mizoram defeats Sikkim
- Young Grand Master Praggnanandhaa stuns former world champ Topalov
- Veteran south actress Jameela Malik passes away
- Veteran film producer Vinay Sinha passes away
- Former women’s hockey team captain Sunita Chandra passes away
- Netherlands legend Rob Rensenbrink passes away