Dear Readers, Daily Current Affairs News Updates about the National and International events were listed here. Read Current Affairs here and stay updated with current news. Candidates those who are preparing for IBPS/SBI/PO/Clerk exam and all other competitive exams can use this and try Current Affairs Quiz to test your knowledge level.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: DAYS
Nation pays homage to Mahatma Gandhi on his 72nd death anniversary, martyrs day
- Nation pays homage to the father of the nation Mahatma Gandhi on his 72nd death anniversary. It was on this day in 1948, Mahatma Gandhi fell to the bullet of his assassin. The day is also observed as Martyrs Day.
- A Sarva Dharma Prarthana Sabha has been organised at his Samadhi – Rajghat in the national capital.
- Vice President M Venkaiah Naidu has paid tributes to the Father of the Nation, Mahatma Gandhi on his death anniversary today. In a series of tweets, Mr Naidu stated, Mahatma Gandhi’s life and message of peace and non-violence are relevant for all times and find resonance in every part of the world.
- Through the philosophy of Ahimsa, Satyagraha and Non-Cooperation, Gandhi Ji galvanised masses and spearheaded the national movement.
- In Madhya Pradesh, ‘Gandhi Stambh’ erected at colleges and ‘Gandhi Chair’ established at universities will be dedicated symbolically on the death anniversary of the Father of Nation Mahatma Gandhi.
- The ‘Gandhi Chair’ is being set up under the political science department of the universities.While, the Gandhi pillars in colleges are setting up with an objective to help the young generation connect with the Mahatma.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: NATIONAL
NHRC organise meeting of Statutory Full Commission
- The National Human Rights Commission (NHRC) is organising a meeting of a Statutory Full Commission in New Delhi.
- NHRC Chairperson Justice HL Dattu will chair the meeting. The meeting has been called for the discharge of functions towards promotion and protection of human rights as specified in the statutory clauses (b) to (j) of Section 12 of the Protection of Human Rights (PHR) Act.
- The meeting gathers significance as it is being called for the first time since the recent amendment in the PHR Act adding Chairpersons of National Commission for Backward Classes, National Commission for Protection of Child Rights and the Chief Commissioner for Persons with Disabilities as the new deemed Members of the NHRC.
- The Chairpersons for National Commissions for Minorities, Scheduled Castes, Scheduled Tribes and Women were already the deemed Members of the Commission.
- The NHRC has been holding the Statutory Full Commission meetings on time to time to explore new areas of cooperation, share best practices and activities of different National Commissions to work towards promotion and protection of human rights in a more cohesive manner.
- The NHRC Members, Members of other Commissions and senior officers will also attend the meeting.
About national human rights commission
- Headquarters: New Delhi, India
- Chairman :Justice H. L. Dattu,
- Secretary General :Jaideep Govind
Govt gives nod to amendments in National Commission for Homoeopathy Bill, 2019
- The Union Cabinet has approved the amendments in the National Commission for Homoeopathy Bill, 2019 for amending the Homoeopathy Central Council Act, 1973. Presently, the Bill is pending in Rajya Sabha.
- The amendments will ensure necessary regulatory reforms in the field of Homoeopathy education. This will also enable transparency and accountability for protecting the interest of the general public. The National Commission will promote the availability of affordable healthcare services in all parts of the country.
Govt has released seven billion dollars to all states to tackle climate change: Javadekar
- Environment Minister Prakash Javadekar has stated that government has released seven billion dollars to all the states for intensive afforestation activities to tackle Climate Change.
- Addressing the World Sustainable Development Summit 2020 in New Delhi in the last four years India is the only country in the world which have grown its tree cover by 13 thousand square kilometre.
- With growing population, people need to focus on sustainable consumption and changing their lifestyle.
- The Minister stated, technology with innovation will be instrumental to tackle climate change. He also advocated for more joint research and joint collaboration in this regard.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: INTERNATIONAL
European Parliament approves Brexit deal with Britain
- European Parliament has voted overwhelmingly to approve the Brexit deal with London, clearing the final hurdle for Britain’s departure from the EU.
- The vote was 621 to 49 in favour of the Brexit deal that British Prime Minister Boris Johnson negotiated with the other 27 EU leaders. After Britain’s departure at 11 PM London time the UK will remain within the EU’s economic arrangements until the end of the year.
- However, UK will not have any say in policy as it will not be a member of the EU anymore. Britain is the first country to leave the EU. UK’s official departure will reduce the number of countries in the bloc to 27
About European union:
- Head quarters: Brussels, Belgium
- President of the Commission: Ursula von der Leyen
- President of the Parliament : David Sassoli
- President of the Council : Charles Michel
CURRENT AFFAIRS: BANKING AND FINANACE
IRDAI slaps Rs.1-cr fine each on Tata AIG and ICICI Lombard
- The IRDAI has imposed a penalty of ₹1 crore each on ICICI Lombard General Insurance and Tata AIG General Insurance company.
- The fine was slapped on ICICI Lombard for selling group personal accident policies and individual personal protect policy beyond the permitted period.
- Tata AIG General Insurance has been penalised for the violation of certain norms related to renewal premium collection.
- Founded: 1999
- Headquarters: Hyderabad
- Chairperson: Subhash Chandra Khuntia
Tata AIG to offer tailor-made insurance policies for drones
- In a new initiative, private sector general insurer Tata AIG has tied up with Drone Federation of India for drone insurance.
- The Drone Federation of India (DFI) is a not-for-profit industry-led body that strives to build a safe and scalable unmanned aviation industry in India. It had recently organised the Drone Festival of India on January 6 and 7 in New Delhi.
- Tata AIG General Insurance Company was the insurance presenter at the festival and showcased its readiness to cater to the insurance and risk management requirements of drone manufacturers, suppliers, buyers, owners and operators.
- Noting that the Directorate General of Civil Aviation makes it mandatory for insurance during operation of remotely piloted aircraft (RPAs) systems, Sushant Sarin, Executive Vice President and Head Reinsurance, Tata AIG stated, collaboration with DFI to launch tailor-made insurance products for drone operators, subject to necessary approvals from insurance regulator, furthers our mission to create a better tomorrow for our customers by delivering innovative risk solutions.
- The partnership will help create insurance solutions for the drone industry and help operationalise a very important part of the civil aviation requirements for RPAS as mandated by DGCA India.
RBI imposes Rs.1 crore penalty on HDFC Bank
- The Reserve Bank of India has imposed a penalty of ₹1 crore on HDFC Bank for non-compliance of master directions of KYC directions.
- The RBI has imposed a monetary penalty of ₹1 crore on the bank for failure to undertake on‐going due diligence in the case of 39 current accounts opened for bidding in Initial Public Offer
- Based on the observations made during the on-site Inspection for Supervisory Evaluation of HDFC Bank undertaken by the RBI for 2016-17, a scrutiny of 39 current accounts opened by its customers for bidding in IPO was conducted by central bank, which revealed, inter alia, that the bank had failed to exercise ongoing due diligence in those accounts that, it was observed that the transactions effected in these current accounts were disproportionate to the declared income and profile of the customers.
- HDFC Bank was then issued a show cause notice as to why it should not be penalised. After considering the reply received from the bank and oral submissions made in the personal hearing, RBI came to the conclusion that the charge of non-compliance with the direction was sustained and warranted imposition of monetary penalty
- Founded: 1 April 1935, Kolkata
- Governor: Shaktikanta Das
- Head quaters: Mumbai
About HDFC :
- CEO: Aditya Puri
- Headquarters: Mumbai
- Founded: August 1994, India
- Non executive chairman: shyamala gopinath
CURRENT AFFAIRS: BUSINESS AND ECONOMY
RIL approaches NHAI for offering waste plastic-to-road technology
- Mukesh Ambani-led Reliance Industries has approached National Highways Authority of India (NHAI) for offering its ‘waste plastic-to-road’ technology that uses end-of-life plastic for road construction.
- The company has already piloted few projects and has constructed nearly 40 km road by mixing 50 tonne of end-of-life plastic waste with bitumen at its Nagothane manufacturing site in Raigad district.
- It took us some 14-18 months to develop this mechanism where we can use the end-of-life waste plastic-like packaging of snacks and flimsy polyethylene bags, among others, in road construction
- Along with NHAI, RIL is also in talks with state governments and local bodies across the country for offering its technology 1 km of road uses 1 mt of waste plastic and can save nearly Rs 1 lakh as it can be utilised as a substitute to bitumen to the extent of 8-10 per cent.
- So, roughly saved Rs 40 lakh. Besides, this plastic also enhances the quality of roads. The roads made using this plastic were completed in two months and sustained the torrential rains of last year without any erosion.
- “NHAI is expected to construct 10,000 km of roads with average four lanes in FY2021, which is around 40,000 km of roads that can use nearly 40,000 mt of waste plastics.
Google announces $1-million grant to promote news literacy among Indians
- In an effort to counter fake news and misinformation in India, Google News Initiative (GNI) has announced a $1 million grant for Internews, a news literacy organisation.
- The funding support is part of Google’s broader, $10-million commitment to media literacy.
- According to Google, the grant will work towards building a strong network of senior reporters and journalists, who will counteract fake news in India.
- Google’s initiative will focus on delivering news literacy, especially in the non-metro cities. Under the programme, Internews will put together a team of 250 journalists, fact-checkers, academicians, and NGO workers, who will be trained by global and Indian experts in a curriculum adapted to local needs and available in seven Indian languages.
- The local leaders will then roll out the training module for new Internet users in non-metro cities in the country, enabling them to better navigate the Internet and assess the information.
About Google :
- CEO: Sundar Pichai
- Founded: 4 September 1998, Menlo Park, California, United States
- Parent organization: Alphabet Inc
- Headquarters: Mountain View, California, United States
CURRENT AFFAIRS: STATES
Mumbai gets India’s first ‘walk-through’ aviary
- Maharashtra Chief Minister Uddhav Thackeray inaugurated the country’s first and biggest ‘walk-through’ aviary at the Veermata Jijabai Bhosale Udyan and Zoo also known as Byculla Zoo in Mumbai, Maharashtra.
- Spread over 18,200 sq.feet and 44 feet (or a five-storey building) high, the aviary will house over 100 species of rare, exotic and common birds, living their natural environs.
- There is a separate enclosure for aquatic birds, and more birds shall be added on gradually.
- A small bridge also passes through the aviary which will be opened for the public to walk through and view the birds at close quarters.
- The VJBUZ also boasts of 17 special enclosures for animals like bears, hyenas, leopards, foxes, Madras Pond Turtles, Barasingha, antelopes, etc., has India’s first air-conditioned enclosure for Humboldt Penguins, besides plans to add sections for the Asiatic Lion, tigers and another bird enclosure.
- Thackeray also laid the foundation stone for a new flyover connecting Saat Rasta to Haji Ali which will drastically cut down the travel time.
- The Chief Minister also laid the foundation for another flyover linking Saat Rasta with Dr. E. Moses Road, Mahalaxmi, passing via the famous Dhobighat, to decongest traffic on Mahalaxmi Bridge and towards Worli naka.
- Thackeray launched the first of the 64 forestation projects by the ‘Miyawaki’ method, at Bhakti Park in Wadala on Sunday, on a 2.50 acres plot.
- The ‘Miyawaki’ method implying maximum trees in minimum area to increase bio-diversity and the city’s green cover which will be implemented at 64 locations with 40 types of local or other trees to create lush green forests amid the city’s concrete jungle.
- Chief Minister- Uddhav Thackeray
- Governor- Bhagat Singh Koshyari
Interceptor boat C-448 commissioned at New Mangalore
- The Karnataka government will provide 160 acres of land at Kenjar village in Mangaluru taluk to set up a Coast Guard Training Academy.
- The commissioning of C-448 (a high-speed interceptor boat) of Indian Coast Guard at New Mangalore.
- Karnataka Industrial Areas Development Board (KIADB) has allotted the land for setting up a Coast Guard Training Academy.
- The C-448 is fitted with the latest navigation and communication equipment designed for high-speed interception, close coast patrol, low-intensity maritime operations, search and rescue, and maritime surveillance. This interceptor boat is capable of operating in shallow waters and deep seas.
- On joining the Indian Coast Guard fleet at New Mangalore, the ship will be deployed for patrolling, rescue operations and other duties.
- This interceptor boat built by L&T (Larsen & Toubro) shipyard
S Jaishankar lays foundation stone of Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel Centre at Kevadia in Gujarat
- External Affairs Minister S Jaishankar laid the foundation stone of the Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel Centre for Empowerment and Livelihoods near the Statue of Unity at Kevadia in
- This will be a state-of-the-art skill Development centre in this tribal area. This Residential Centre will have all modern infrastructure including accommodation for about 100 youth at a time. It will run several free of charge skill courses aligned to the National Skills Qualification Framework (NSQF).
- To begin with, the majority of the courses will focus to meet the demand of tourism and hospitality requirements at Kevadia. These include Food and Beverage Steward, Room Attendant, Mechanized housekeeping, agroprocessing specially the dragon-fruit processing, soap making for individuals and women’s self-help groups.
- Separate Entrepreneurship modules and career counseling and coaching for job aspirants will be other major activities at this centre. The aim of this centre is to provide training to youth, farmers, Self Help Groups every year through its various capacity building programmes.
- This centre will prove to be a boon for empowering the local youth and women by their skill development and by providing them employment opportunities. GMR Varalakshmi Foundation – GMRVF – has taken a joint initiative with Sardar Sarovar Narmada Nigam Limited to establish this Centre with an investment of over Rs 15 crore.
- Capital: Gandhinagar
- Governor: Acharya Devvrat
- Chief minister: Vijay Rupani
CURRENT AFFAIRS: MOU
OPPO, IIT-Hyderabad to take up joint R&D projects
- OPPO, the global smartphone brand, and IIT-Hyderabad have joined hands to take up joint R & D projects in advanced and emerging technologies.
- The areas identified are battery, camera and image processing, networks (5G), system performance and Artificial Intelligence among others.
- A memorandum of understanding was signed recently between Tasneem Arif, Vice President and Head (R&D), OPPO India and Sumohana S Channappayya, Dean (R&D), IIT Hyderabad.
- The MoU envisages joint research and development for multiple projects over a period of two years . The partnership is aimed at developing solutions and bridging the gap between academic excellence and business requirements and to help create an industry-ready workforce, according to a statement from the IITH.
- Founder: Tony Chen
- Headquarters: Dongguan, China
- Key people:Chen Mingyong (Founder & CEO)
CURRENT AFFAIRS: APPOINTMENTS AND RESIGNATION
Harsh Vardhan Shringla takes charge as new foreign secretary
- Seasoned diplomat Harsh Vardhan Shringla, who last served as India’s envoy to the US, took charge as new foreign secretary for a fixed two-year term, succeeding Vijay Gokhale.
- Shringla had played an important role in successful hosting of the “Howdy Modi” event in Houston in September where US President Donald Trump and Prime Minister Modi jointly addressed the Indian diaspora.
Vakrangee appoints Ex- RBI & Ex-SEBI ED Ramesh Joshi as Non-Executive Chairman
- Vakrangee Limited has appointed Ramesh Joshi (EX-RBI & EX-SEBI ED), a veteran with over 40 years of experience, as the Non-Executive Chairman of the company.
- As well as has Re-designated Mr. Dinesh Nandwana, Executive Chairman as the Managing Director and Group CEO in place of Mr. Anil Khanna.
Alastair Cook & Ricky Skerritt Appointed to MCC’s World Cricket Committee
- Former England opener Alastair Cook and ex-West Indies team manager Ricky Skerritt became new members of MCC’s World Cricket Committee.
- Cook and Skerritt have accepted the Club’s invitation to join the committee, which meets twice a year to discuss the most important issues concerning the game and acts as an independent voice in world cricket.
- In March 2020 the next MCC World Cricket committee meeting will be hosted in Sri Lanka.
RBI appoints Executive Director Janak Raj as member of MPC
- The Reserve Bank of India (RBI) appointed its Executive Director Janak Raj as member of the Monetary Policy Committee (MPC), the highest interest rate setting body.
- The Monetary Policy Committee takes decisions based on majority vote. Each member has one vote but the RBI Governor get a casting vote in case of a tie
- Raj replaces Patra, who was recently elevated as Deputy Governor of the RBI.
The decision to appoint Janak Raj was taken at the 581st meeting of the central board held in Mumbai . The MPC is headed by the RBI Governor.
IDBI Federal Life Insurance appoints M Balakrishnan as CFO, Prabhu as CIO
- Private life insurer IDBI Federal Life Insurance announced the appointment of Mathivanan Balakrishnan as its Chief Financial Officer (CFO).
- Besides, the company also announced elevation of S P Prabhu as its Chief Investment Officer (CIO).
- Prabhu, who was earlier head of fixed income, will now oversee the management of the company’s investment portfolio of Rs 10,000 crore, spread across various asset classes,.
- As CFO, Balakrishnan will oversee the areas of planning and budgeting, financial accounting & reporting, corporate taxation, investment operations, insurance accounting, audit and statutory compliance.
About IDBI federal life insurance :
- CEO: Vighnesh Shahane
- Headquarters location: Mumbai
- Founded: March 2008
CURRENT AFFAIRS: AWARDS AND HONOURS
Abhijit Banerjee conferred D Litt by alma mater Calcutta University
- Nobel laureate Abhijit Vinayak Banerjee was conferred the honorary D Litt by his alma mater Calcutta University.
- Banerjee had pursued his graduation with economics honours from the then Presidency College, now university, and secured first class first rank in Calcutta University in 1981.
- Abhijit was awarded Nobel Prize in 2019 for “Experimental approach to alleviating global poverty”.
He is one of the directors of Abdul Latif Jameel Poverty Action Lab (J-PAL), United States of America (USA) founded in 2003.
- Eminent astrophysicist J V Narlikar was conferred Sir Asutosh Mookerjee Memorial Medal. Scientists Samir K Brahmachari, Arup Kumar Raychaudhuri and Partha Pratim Majumder were bestowed the Sir Acharya Prafulla Chandra Ray Medal.
Noted theatre personality Sanjna Kapoor to be conferred French honour
- Noted theatre personality Sanjna Kapoor, the daughter of Bollywood actor Shashi Kapoor, will be conferred prestigious French honour, Knight of the Order of Arts and Letters, for her outstanding contribution to
- She was honored by French Minister of Culture Franck Riester, who was currently on an official visit to India.
- Sanjna Kapoor, daughter of Shashi Kapoor and Jennifer Kendal, made her film debut in Aparna Sen”s 36 Chowringhee Lane (1981) which was a family affair, with her mother in the leading role and her father the film”s producer.
- In 2012, she co-founded Junoon, an organisation dedicated to increasing the reach of theatre and the arts to wider audiences through innovative initiatives.
- Some noted Indian recipients of this honour in the past include Bharti Kher, Shahrukh Khan, Pt Hariprasad Chaurasia, Aishwarya Rai, Raghu Rai, Ebrahim Alkazi, Habib Tanveer, Upamanyu Chatterjee, Wendell Rodricks and Aruna Vasudev.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: RANKING
China Ranked World’s Second Largest Arms Producer Trailing Behind US
- The opaque Chinese arms industry has made the Asian nation the world’s second largest producer of munitions, a clear shift from a decade ago
- The report by the Stockholm International Peace Research Institute (SIPRI) suggests that China’s weapons production, which has previously been shrouded in mystery owing to a lack of transparency, has grown as three of the world’s top 10 arms companies are Chinese.
- China is the second largest arms producer in the world, behind the US and ahead of Russia.
- This still represents a dramatic shift over the last 10 years as China in the past was a big importer of weapons from Russia and Ukraine.
Assam tops in budgetary practices, followed by Odisha, Andhra: Survey
- Assam has emerged as the top state in terms of best practices followed in budget formulation, followed by Odisha and Andhra Pradesh, says a survey by Transparency International.
- The survey was based on four parameters — public disclosure, budgetary process, post budget fiscal management and efforts to make budget more transparent and citizen friendly.
- The states which figured lower in the ranking were Goa, Maharashtra and
- It is ironical that being a ‘Union of States’, state budgets in India have never received such importance as claimed by Union Budget.
About Assam :
- Capital : dispur
- Governor : jagdish mukhi
- Chief minister : sarbananda sonowal
CURRENT AFFAIRS: SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY
10 more wetlands in India declared as Ramsar sites
- India has added 10 more wetlands to sites protected by the Ramsar Convention, Union Environment Minister Prakash Javadekar announced
- The 10 new ones are Nandur Madhameshwar, a first for Maharashtra; Keshopur-Miani, Beas Conservation Reserve and Nangal in Punjab; and Nawabganj, Parvati Agra, Saman, Samaspur, Sandi and Sarsai Nawar in Uttar Pradesh. The other Ramsar sites are in Rajasthan, Kerala, Odisha, Madhya Pradesh, Himachal Pradesh, Assam, West Bengal, Jammu and Kashmir, Andhra Pradesh, Manipur, Gujarat, Tamil Nadu and Tripura.
- With this, a total of 37 sites in the country have been recognised under the international treaty. Wetlands declared as Ramsar sites are protected under strict guidelines.
- The Convention, signed in 1971 in the Iranian city of Ramsar, is one of the oldest inter-governmental accord for preserving the ecological character of wetlands. Also known as the Convention on Wetlands, it aims to develop a global network of wetlands for conservation of biological diversity and for sustaining human life.
New mission to take first peek at Sun’s poles: NASA
- NASA, in collaboration with the European Space Agency (ESA), is launching a new spacecraft next month to snap the first pictures of the Sun’s north and south poles,
- The Solar Orbiter spacecraft will have its first opportunity to launch from Cape Canaveral in the U.S. on February 7, 2020.
- The spacecraft will use Venus’s and the Earth’s gravity to swing itself out of the ecliptic plane — the swath of space, roughly aligned with the Sun’s equator, where all planets orbit.
- The Sun plays a central role in shaping space around us. Its massive magnetic field stretches far beyond Pluto, paving a superhighway for charged solar particles known as the solar wind.
- When bursts of solar wind hit Earth, they can spark space weather storms that interfere with our GPS and communications satellites — at their worst, they can even threaten astronauts
- To prepare for arriving solar storms, scientists monitor the Sun’s magnetic field.
- Headquarters: Washington, D.C., United States
- Founder: Dwight D. Eisenhower
- Founded: 29 July 1958, United States
- Jim Bridenstine, Administrator
- James Morhard, Deputy Administrator
CURRENT AFFAIRS: SPORTS
Motera Cricket Stadium, world’s largest, could host IPL 2020 final in Ahmedabad
- The final of the Indian Premier League (IPL) 2020 can be played at the Sardar Patel Stadium (Motera) Stadium in Ahemadabad,Gujarath.
- The Motera Stadium will become the largest cricket arena in the world when its construction is completed. The spectacular stadium will have a seating capacity of 1,10,000 spectators overtaking the Melbourne Cricket Ground (MCG) in Australia which is the largest cricket stadium in the world at the moment.
- The BCCI had earlier planned to host a game between Asia XI and the World XI at the Motera Stadium but the plan was dropped as the construction work for the completion of the stadium will not finish in March this year.
- However, it has now been revealed that BCCI can host another big game at the stadium. The final of the next season’s IPL might be played in Ahmedabad.
Javelin thrower Neeraj Chopra qualifies for 2020 Tokyo Olympics
- After recovering from an elbow injury, ace India javelin thrower Neeraj Chopra has qualified for the Tokyo 2020 Olympics with a throw of 87.86m at the Athletics Central North East meeting in South Africa
- This was the Olympic medal hopeful’s first competitive event after recovering from the injury.
- The Athletics Federation of India (AFI) also stated that they’ve confirmed with their South African counterparts that it was a ‘recognised international meet’, and hence the Olympic cut has been made.
- Neeraj’s last major international competition was the 2018 Jakarta Asian Games last August where he won gold with a national record of 88.06m.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: OBITUARY
Ex Bihar Minister and RJD MLA Abdul Gafoor passes away
- Former Bihar Minister and RJD MLA Abdul Gafoorpassed away.
- Gafoor represented Mahishi constituency in Bihar assembly for 4 times .
- He was the former Minister of Minority Welfare in Nitish Kumar Government of Bihar.
Eminent Assamese litterateur Sashi Sarma passes away
- Eminent Assamese litterateur Sashi Sarma passed away.
- Sarma also an academic, intellectual and a living example of Hindu-Muslim unity in Assam had authored nearly 100 books.
- The last book of the retired professor of Nalbari College was titled ‘Antim Jatra’ which was released last year.
- Sarma had received the Soviet Nehru Award in 1968 and the Sitanath Brahma Chowdhury Award.
Kerala: Senior Congress leader M Kamalam passes away at 92
- Senior Congress leader and ex-minister M Kamalam passed away .She was 92.
- Former KPCC Vice President and AICC working committee member, she was the cooperation minister in the K. Karunakaran government in 1982. After having a long stint as councillor, she was first elected to the Assembly from Kalpetta in 1980.
- Kamalam was spent jail time during the emergency. She also had a brief stint with Janata Party before returning to the Congress.
DAILY CA – 29th JAN
- Jitendra Singh launches Bhuvan Panchayat V3 web Portal
- India, France discuss on ways & means on co-production of films: Javadekar
- V Prez, PM pay tribute to Lala Lajpat Rai on his birth anniversary
- SC allows introduction of African cheetah in India
- 2280 crore rupees projects financed under JKIDFC in this financial year in J&K
- European Parliament to discuss India’s anti-CAA resolution on January 29
- India successfully used digital technologies to reduce disparities among population groups: UN
- Mudra loans: Banks sanction ₹40,000 crore in last two months
- UK launches 4-mn pound Innovation Challenge Fund in India
- Mamata Banerjee’s Bengal becomes 4th state to pass anti-CAA resolution
- India’s first underwater metro in Kolkata to be finally ready by March 2022
- Mangaluru Smart City, IGBC ink pact
- Maharashtra CM inaugurates 5 km-long stretch of Nagpur Metro Aqua line
- Sheikh Khalid bin Khalifa named new Qatari PM
- EU Appoints Joao Vale De Almeida As First Ambassador To Post-brexit UK
- Slovenian prime minister announces resignation
- Taranjit Singh Sandhu appointed India’s ambassador to US: MEA
- 2020 Grammy Awards: The Full List Of Winners
- Assam tableau wins first prize at 71st Republic Day parade
- Bajaj Housing Finance Limited Bags the BFSI Digital Innovation Awards 2020 for Cloud Solutions
- Indian environmental economist Pavan Sukhdev wins Tyler Prize for ‘green economy’ work
- IIT-H team develops essential oil delivery system to treat fungal diseases
- Aunties, uncles, tube lights among 26 new Indian words in Oxford dictionary
- Operation Vanilla: India sends INS Airavat to provide aid to disaster-hit Madagascar
- India’s Esow Alben bags gold in men’s Keirin individual event of Six Day Berlin Tournament
- North East Dr T Ao Trophy: Mizoram defeats Sikkim
- Young Grand Master Praggnanandhaa stuns former world champ Topalov
- Veteran south actress Jameela Malik passes away
- Veteran film producer Vinay Sinha passes away
- Former women’s hockey team captain Sunita Chandra passes away
- Netherlands legend Rob Rensenbrink passes away
DAILY CA – 30th JAN
- Nation pays homage to Mahatma Gandhi on his 72nd death anniversary, martyrs day
- NHRC organise meeting of Statutory Full Commission
- Govt gives nod to amendments in National Commission for Homoeopathy Bill, 2019
- Govt has released seven billion dollars to all states to tackle climate change: Javadekar
- European Parliament approves Brexit deal with Britain
- IRDAI slaps ₹1-cr fine each on Tata AIG and ICICI Lombard
- Tata AIG to offer tailor-made insurance policies for drones
- RBI imposes ₹1 crore penalty on HDFC Bank
- RIL approaches NHAI for offering waste plastic-to-road technology
- Google announces $1-million grant to promote news literacy among Indians
- Mumbai gets India’s first ‘walk-through’ aviary
- Interceptor boat C-448 commissioned at New Mangalore
- S Jaishankar lays foundation stone of Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel Centre at Kevadia in Gujarat
- OPPO, IIT-Hyderabad to take up joint R&D projects
- Harsh Vardhan Shringla takes charge as new foreign secretary
- Vakrangee appoints Ex- RBI & Ex-SEBI ED Ramesh Joshi as Non-Executive Chairman
- Alastair Cook & Ricky Skerritt Appointed to MCC’s World Cricket Committee
- RBI appoints Executive Director Janak Raj as member of MPC
- IDBI Federal Life Insurance appoints M Balakrishnan as CFO, Prabhu as CIO
- Abhijit Banerjee conferred D Litt by alma mater Calcutta University
- Noted theatre personality Sanjna Kapoor to be conferred French honour
- China Ranked World’s Second Largest Arms Producer Trailing Behind US
- Assam tops in budgetary practices, followed by Odisha, Andhra: Survey
- 10 more wetlands in India declared as Ramsar sites
- New mission to take first peek at Sun’s poles: NASA
- Motera Cricket Stadium, world’s largest, could host IPL 2020 final in Ahmedabad
- Javelin thrower Neeraj Chopra qualifies for 2020 Tokyo Olympics
- Ex Bihar Minister and RJD MLA Abdul Gafoor passes away
- Eminent Assamese litterateur Sashi Sarma passes away
- Kerala: Senior Congress leader M Kamalam passes away at 92