International Day In Support Of Victims Of Torture 2021 Theme: June 26, is observed as International Day In Support Of Victims Of Torture 2021 Theme, the purpose is to raise awareness that torture is a crime under International Law against humanity. Rehabilitation centers and human rights organizations around the world celebrate June 26, as International Day in Support of Victims of Torture every year. We express our solidarity with the hundreds and thousands of victims of torture all around the world. The widespread practice of torture constitutes a crime against humanity.
The Human Rights Court has stated that torture is deliberate inhuman treatment causing very serious and cruel suffering. According to Human Rights Law, torture is an act by which pain or suffering is intentionally inflicted on a person in which a public official is involved for a specific reason. It is absolutely prohibited and cannot be justified under any circumstances. Torturers are the enemy of mankind and are considered incompatible in a civilized society that cannot be tolerated. Know the history and significance of International Day In Support Of Victims Of Torture 2021 Theme here.
History And Significance of International Day In Support Of Victims Of Torture 2021 Theme:
- Torture is an inhuman act and should be considered illegal in all nations. The step of stopping torture had to be taken at some point and it came into implementation on June 26, 1987.
- On December 12, 1997, the UN General Assembly passed a resolution 52/149 and decided to observe 26 June as the United Nations International Day in Support of Victims of Torture to remove torture and the effective functioning of the Convention against Torture and other inhuman activities.
- The convention has been rectified by 162 countries. Only the punishments given by the legal penalty are not considered torture.
- The US urged every nation to stand with their step and raise their voice against torture.
- To spread awareness about the torture many exhibitions are held, posters and rallies are also conducted.
- International Rehabilitation Council for Torture Victims and Amnesty International have played an active role in organizing events around the world to promote and make people aware of this International Day In Support Of Victims Of Torture 2021 Theme.
- The fight against torture can only be won if we stand together. This day gives an opportunity to call on all the stakeholders including UN Member states’ civil society and individuals to unite in support of victims of torture and those who are still being tortured around the globe.