List Of Geographical Indication Tags in India are added here. The candidates preparing for current affairs and static GK can use this pdf. For your convenience, We have also added the List Of Geographical Indication Tags in India pdf. So use it for preparation.
The competitive exam standards are becoming very tough now. Every candidates are struggling very hard to crack their dream exams. As competition is increasing, the exam standard is also becoming very difficult. Here we have added the list Geographical Indication Tags in India pdf. So study all the data in the list. In general awareness section, current affairs topic may cover any news. So this, tag list Geographical Indications in India is an important topic to cover. You may expect one or two questions in UPSC and any other exams. So, without fail study all the tag list Geographical Indications in India pdf. Only then you can aim for the maximum marks in general awareness section. Prepare all the current affairs topic, without avoiding any one. Here we have covered the list of Geographical Indication Tags 2019-20 in India.
What is GI Tag?
Before going into the List Of Geographical Indication Tags in India 2019-20, know what is GI tag.
- A GI or Geographical Indication is a name or a sign given to certain products that relate to a specific geographical location or origins like a region, town or country.
- Using Geographical Indications is like a certification that the particular product is produced as per traditional methods, has certain specific qualities, or has a particular reputation because of its geographical origin.
This list of GI tags in India 2020 pdf is very important for the candidates preparing for the competitive exams. Also know about the GI tag given by which body and the governing organization.
The Governing Body of GI Tags in India:
Here we have given the details about the geographical indication tag is given by which organizations at various levels. The geographical indication tag in India 2020 list are also governed by specific organization.
- At the International level, World Trade Organization’s (WTO’s) governs the GI, Agreement on Trade-Related Aspects of Intellectual Property Rights (TRIPS).
- In India, Geographical Indications of Goods (Registration and Protection) Act, 1999 governs the Geographical Indications registration. It came into force with effect from September 2003.
- The first product in India with GI tag was Darjeeling tea in the year 2004-05.
Benefits of GI Tags:
The List Of Geographical Indication Tags in India have following benefits. They are,
- Legal protection to the products.
- Prevents unauthorized use of GI tag products.
- It helps consumers to get quality products of desired traits and is assured of authenticity.
- Promotes the economic prosperity of producers of GI tag goods by enhancing their demand in national and international markets.
Significance of GI Tag in India:
The geographical indication tag in India has more significances. The main significance is the prohibition of usage for the third party. You will know the complete GI tag list 2019-20 in India, here.
GI Tags for Rural Development Role
GI tags are only available for the products manufactured by the rural communities. Also they should have gained a greater importance in the markets for their fine quality. The list of geographical indication tags in India are also attained these qualities. Some of the rural development impacts of GI tags are,
- The GI product will have increased and stabilized prices.
- Boost of tourism in those areas.
- Traditional value is increased and preserved.
- Preservation of basic natural resources that are necessary for the product.
- The product earns a good reputation value and supply chain will develop at various levels.
In this article you can know the GI tag list state wise in India.
GI tag Protection
- Collective or certification marks.
- Sui generis systems or special regimes of protection.
- Techniques on business practices and administrative product approval schemes.
GI tags for 4 new products from 3 states
- The Geographical Indication Registry has provided the Geographical Indication (GI) tag for 4 new products from three states.
- The latest are the Sohrai Khover paintings from Jharkhand, Telia Rumal cloths from Telangana.
- Thanjavur Netti Works and Arambavur Wood Carvings from Tamil Nadu State (TN) Also in GI list.
All the new tag list of geographical indications in India pdf are available here. Use it for the exam preparation.
1- Sohrai Khover Paintings
The Sohrai Khovar paintings in Jharkand, joined the geographical indication tag 2020 recent list in India.
- The Sohrai Khovar painting is a traditional and ritualistic mural art being practised by local tribal women during local harvest and marriage seasons using local, naturally available soils of different colours in the area of Hazaribagh district of Jharkhand.
- Sohrai Khovar painting is primarily being practised only in the district of Hazaribagh. However, in recent years, for promotional purposes, it has been seen in other parts of Jharkhand.
- Traditionally painted on the walls of mud houses, they are now seen on other surfaces, too.
- The style features a profusion of lines, dots, animal figures and plants, often representing religious iconography.
- They are commonly seen on mud house of various tribes in hazaribagh such as Munda, Santhal, Agaria, Ganju, Kurmi & Jawardhi.
- The application for the painting was made by Sohrai Kala Mahila Vikas Sahyog Samiti Limited.
2- Telia Rumal
The Telia Rumal cloth of Telangana, also joined the geographical indication tag list in India.
- Telia Rumal cloth of Telangana involves intricate handmade work with cotton loom displaying a variety of designs and motifs in three particular colours — red, black and white.
- The Telia Rumal can only be created using the traditional handloom process. Not by any other mechanical means as otherwise, the very quality of the Rumal would be lost.
- Telia Rumals are offered at the dargah of Ajmer Sharif in Rajasthan, with some devotees offering 50 or even 100 clothes.
- Telia Rumals were worn as a veil by princesses at the erstwhile court of the Nizam of Hyderabad; and as a turban cloth by Arabs in the Middle East.
- The application for Telia Rumal was made by the Consortium of Puttapaka Handloom Cluster-IHDS.
3- Thanjavur Netti Works
The Thanjavur Netti Works in Tamil Nadu joined the List Of Geographical Indication Tags in India.
- The Application was submitted in 2013 by TamilNadu Handicrafts Development Corporation (Poompuhar), Government of Tamil Nadu.
- Thanjavur Netti Works (Thanjavur Pith Work) is from Netti (pith).
- The pith is obtained from netti, a hydrophyte plant called as Aeschynomene Aspera.
- This is a traditional art form and they have transferred it from one generation to the next.
- The Netti Works are widely available in the Brihadeeshwara Temple, Hindu Idols, Garlands, door hangings and decorative pieces.
- The government has recognised the pith work industry as one of the major handicraft symbols.
- “The majority of production is in the towns of Thanjavur, Kumbakonam and Pudukkottai where most of the artisans hail from.
- However, products from the Pith are brittle and break easily. Hence, most models are available inside a glass box.
4- Arumbavur Wood Carvings
The Arumbavur wood carvings in Tamil Nadu also joined the List Of Geographical Indication Tags in India.
- The Arumbavur wood carvings of the artisans of Perambalur are primarily from the wooden logs of, Mango, Lingam tree, Indian Ash tree, Rosewood, Neem tree. They are are useful for making sculptures.
- The artisans mainly source the wood from the Pachamalai Hills along the Tiruchy- Perambalur border and the Thanjavur-Kumbakonam belt.
- Several temple cars with artistic features are even seen at the temples in the districts of Perambalur, Ariyalur, Tiruchy, Salem, Villupuram, Cuddalore, Thanjavur and Madurai which were crafted by the forefathers of Arumbavur Temple car sthapatis (idol makers)
- One of the uniqueness of the craft is the entire design is a carve of a single block of wood. So, a single error could damage the entire piece.
Recent GI Tags (from April 2020)
The recent list of geographical indication tag in India 2020 are available here. So memorize this List of GI tags 2020 pdf.
|Saffron (Lachha,mongra,guchhi)||Agriculture||Jammu and Kashmir|
|Kovilpatti kadalai mittai||Food Stuff||Tamil Nadu|
|Gorakhpur terracotta||Handicraft||Uttar Pradesh|
|Chak-Hao (Black Rice)||Agricultural||Manipur|
GI Tag List of 2019- 20
Here we have also added geographical indication tag 2019 list in India. These data are very useful for the competitive exams. Also study for the geographical indication tag UPSC exam questions. You can also download the list of GI tags in India pdf for easy preparation. Thus in any way, study all the list of geographical indications in India tag list 2019 and 2020. they are very important for the exam.
|Odisha Rasagola||Food Stuff||Odisha|
|Kodaikanal Malai Poondu||Agricultural||Tamil Nadu|
|Palani Panchamirtham||Food Stuff||Tamil Nadu|
|Gulbarga Tur Dal||Agricultural||Karnataka|
|Tirur Betel Leaf (Tirur Vettila)||Agricultural||Kerala|
|Idu Mishmi Textiles||Handicraft||Arunachal Pradesh|
|Dindigul Locks||Manufactured||Tamil Nadu|
|Kandangi Saree||Handicraft||Tamil Nadu|
|Srivilliputtur Palkova||Food Stuff||Tamil Nadu|
Here we have also given the links for general awareness, current affairs, static GK preparation. You can also Practice quiz and test your level of preparation.
|General Awareness Quiz – Practice Here||Monthly Current Affairs Quiz – Practice Here|
|Static GK Quiz – Practice Here||Current Affairs Quiz – Practice Here|