List of RBI Governors of India: List of RBI Governors of India!!! Details regarding the List of Governors of Reserve Bank of India is available here. One of the most important General Awareness topics for all the competitive exams. So competitive aspirants shall check here the complete updated details.
Before going to the list of rbi governors we have seen the RBI’s history, functions, roles & responsibilities. The Reserve Bank of India was set up on the basis of the recommendations of the Hilton Young Commission. The British colonial government has founded the Reserve Bank of India on April 01, 1935. The Central Office of the RBI was established in Calcutta (now Kolkata) but was moved to Bombay (now Mumbai) in 1937. The RBI also acted as Burma’s (now Myanmar) central bank until April 1947. After the Partition of India in August 1947, the bank served as the central bank for Pakistan until June 1948. After the commencement of the operation of the State Bank of Pakistan in June 1948 the RBI has been fully owned by the Government of India since its nationalization in 1949.
Reserve Bank of India Governor:
Reserve Bank of India governor is the chief executive of India’s central bank and the ex-officio chairperson of its Central Board of Directors. RBI acts as a parent body for all other commercial banks in India, In India, Rupee currency notes which are issued by the Reserve Bank of India (RBI), bear the governor’s signature. The First Governor of RBI was the British banker Osborne Smith in 1935, while the First Indian governor of RBI was C. D. Deshmukh.
Functions of RBI:
- Issue of Bank Notes
- Banker to Government
- Custodian of Cash Reserves of Commercial Banks
- Custodian of Country’s Foreign Currency Reserves
- Lender of Last Resort
- Monetary Policy
- Central Clearance and Accounts Settlement
- Controller of Credit
- Buying and selling of Government securities (gilt edge, treasury bills, etc) and trade bills.
List of RBI Governors
|1||Osborne Smith||April 1, 1935, to June 30, 1937|
|2||James Brend Taylor||July 1, 1937, to February 17, 1943|
|3||C. D. Deshmukh||August 11, 1943, to June 30, 1949|
|4||Benegal Rama Rao||July 1, 1949, to 14 January 1957|
|5||K. G. Amgaonkar||January 14, 1957, to 28 February 1957|
|6||H. V. R. Iyengar||March 1, 1957, to February 28, 1962|
|7||P. C. Bhattacharya||March 1, 1962, to June 30, 1967|
|8||L. K. Jha||July 1, 1967, to May 3, 1970|
|9||B. N. Adarakar||May 4, 1970, to June 15, 1970|
|10||B. N. Adarakar||June 16, 1970, to May 19, 1975|
|11||N. C. Sen Gupta||May 19, 1975, to 19th August 1975|
|12||K. R. Puri||August 20, 1975, to May 2, 1977|
|13||M. Narasimhan||May 3, 1977, to November 30, 1977|
|14||I.G. Patel||December 1, 1977, to 15 September 1982|
|15||Manmohan Singh||September 16, 1982, to 14 January 1985|
|16||Amitabh Ghosh||January 15, 1985, to 4th February 1985|
|17||R. N. Malhotra||February 4, 1985, to December 22, 1990|
|18||S. Venkatraman||December 22, 1990, to December 21, 1992|
|19||C. Rangarajan||December 22, 1992, to November 21, 1997|
|20||Bimal Jalan||November 22, 1997 to September 6, 2003|
|21||Y. V. Reddy||September 6, 2003, to September 5, 2008|
|22||D. Subbarao||September 5, 2008, to September 4, 2013|
|23||Raghuram Rajan||September 4, 2013, to September 4, 2016|
|24||Urjit Patel||September 4, 2016, to 11 Dec.2018|
|25||Shashikant Das||From 12 Dec.2018|
List of RBI Governors: Some important Exam Point of View Points
1. Longest Tenure Governor of RBI – Benegal Rama Rao. (Total of 7 years, 197 day). He was the head of RBI from July 1, 1949, to January 14, 1957.
2. The shortest tenure – Amitabh Ghosh. He was head of RBI for 20 days from 15 January 1985 to 4 February 1985.
3. Manmohan Singh is the only Prime Minister who was the Governor of RBI (1982 – 1985).
5. KJ Udeshi was the First woman Deputy Governor of RBI.
6. RBI has launched a website named www.paisaboltahai.rbi.org.in. to raise awareness about fake notes in the market and the ways how they can prevent themselves.
7. Government of India(Ministry of Finance) is responsible for the minting of coins and printing of 1 rupee notes and not RBI.
Here we have provided the List of RBI Governors from the establishment of RBI still now. So aspirants shall utilize this article and prepare for your exams.