SBI PO VS IBPS PO
The first question every banking aspirant has before starting preparation for Bank PO exams is “Which exam to target “SBI PO vs IBPS PO”. To help you with this, in this article we will discuss all the major differences between SBI PO vs IBPS PO, and based on that you can decide which exam suits you and which exam you should target.
Share Your IBPS PO Pre Exam 2020 Details with us and get chance to Talk Live with your Favorite Guidely
In this article, we will discuss the Salary Structure, Perks and Allowances, Work Load, Work Profile, Exam Pattern, and future Career Prospects of both SBI PO vs IBPS PO.
1.Salary Structure And Allowance(SBI PO vs IBPS PO)
Every banking aspirant has this question in mind while preparing for Bank PO that “What would be the salary on joining as a Bank PO”. Here, we will tell you the salary structure of SBI PO vs IBPS PO.
- a) SBI PO
It has the best salary when it comes to Bank PO jobs. It has more salary than any Nationalised banks that recruit through IBPS PO.
|Basic Pay||INR 27,620|
|Dearness Allowance||46.9% of Basic Pay|
|City Compensation Allowance||3% – 4% depending on Tier 1, 2 or 3 city|
|House Rental Allowance||7% – 9% depending on city|
|Furniture Allowance||INR 1,20,000 for purchase of furniture|
|Travel Allowances||SBI reimburses the travel cost of official Travels|
|Medical Insurance||100% for the Employee and 75% for the dependents|
|Petrol Allowances||INR 1,100 – 1,250|
|Newspaper, Entertainment, Books and other misc expenses||Depends on City|
|Loan Benefits||Employees at SBI enjoys low-interest rate on various types of loans|
The gross salary of an SBI PO ranges from 8.20 lakhs to 13.08 lakhs annually. Whereas the In-Hand Salary of an SBI PO ranges from 42,000 to 44,000 per month after all the deductions.
You can know more about the SBI PO salary structure and allowances
- b) IBPS PO
When you compare the IBPS PO vs SBI PO salary then SBI PO has more salary and allowances than IBPS PO. However, IBPS PO also has a decent salary to lead a comfortable life.
|Basic Pay||INR 23,700|
|Dearness Allowance||39.8% of Basic Pay|
|City Compensation Allowance||3% – 4% depending on city|
|House Rental Allowances||7% – 9% depending on city|
IBPS PO provides almost all the extra allowances as SBI PO. However, the amount of these allowances is lesser as compared to SBI PO.
The monthly In-Hand Salary of an IBPS PO ranges from 38,000 to 41,000.
You can know in more detail about the salary and allowances of an IBPS PO
2) Job Profile (SBI PO vs IBPS PO)
The work profile of both the SBI PO vs IBPS PO is more or less the same. The day to day job of Bank PO includes:-
- Dealing with queries of the customers of the branch.
- Maintenance and Supervision of regular day to day branch operations.
- Public Relations and addressing the issues and grievances of the customers.
- Direct daily transactions of the customers.
- Processing various loan details.
- Bring new business to the branch.
- Issuing ATM cards, Cheque Books, and Demand Drafts to the customers.
- Handle accounts, billing and finance-related tasks of the branch.
3) Work Load (SBI PO vs IBPS PO)
Since most of the government schemes are implemented through SBI therefore SBI PO has a much higher workload than IBPS PO. Also, the reach of SBI PO is more in rural areas than any other bank, so there is a high chance of rural posting in your initial days as compared to IBPS PO. Since SBI is a well-known brand among people from every walks of life and people trust SBI more than any other PSU banks therefore, this adds to the work pressure of an SBI PO.
4) Promotions and Career
The career path for both SBI PO vs IBPS PO is the same:-
Junior Management Grade – Scale I – PO
Middle Management Grade – Scale II – Manager
Middle Management Grade – Scale III – Senior Manager
Senior Management Grade – Scale IV – Chief Manager
Senior Management Grade – Scale V – Assistant General Manager
Top Management Grade – Scale VI – Deputy General Manager
Top Management Grade – Scale VII – General Manager
Executive Director (ED)
Chairman and Managing Director (CMD)
SBI PO has faster promotions when compared to IBPS PO.
You can get promotions upto General Manager while the “Executive Director” and “Chairman and Managing Director” of a Bank is selected by the government.
5) Selection Process
- SBI PO
The SBI PO Exam consists of three phases:-
- Prelims Examination
- Mains Examination + Descriptive
- Interview Round and Group Discussion
Note:- Candidates’ combined scores in the Mains exam and Interview/ GD round will be used for final selection.
You can check the detailed exam pattern of SBI PO 2020 from here
- IBPS PO
The IBPS PO Exam also consists of three phases:-
- Prelims Examination
- Mains Examination + Descriptive
- Interview Round
Note:- Candidates’ combined scores of Mains and Interview Process in a ratio of 80:20 are used to create a merit list for the final selection.
You can check the detailed exam pattern for IBPS PO 2020
- For SBI PO, there is no sectional cut-off for Pre and Main exam. The final result is declared in accordance with the overall cut-off only.
- Whereas For IBPS PO exam, there is both sectional as well as overall cut-off at Pre and Main level.
- The overall cut-off for SBI PO is always higher as compared to IBPS PO due to various factors such as lesser vacancies, high competition in SBI PO.
You can compare the previous years cut-off of SBI PO
You can also check out the previous years cut-off of IBPS PO
7) Difficulty level
- In IBPS PO, the prelims exam is considered to be of moderate to difficult level whereas the difficulty level of mains exam has been increasing in recent years. The IBPS PO 2019 Mains Exam is considered difficult as compared to the previous years.
- The difficulty level of SBI PO exam is always on a higher side whether it is prelims or mains when compared to IBPS PO.
Your concepts should be very clear in order to clear the mains exams of both IBPS PO and SBI PO.
8) Recruiting Banks (IBPS PO vs SBI PO)
- SBI is a statutory body that comes under a Government of India and it is not a PSU. Those who qualify SBI PO are posted only in SBI Branches across the country.
- The IBPS or The Institute of Banking Personnel Selection is a recruitment body that conducts exams for the various posts in Public Sector Banks. The participating banks include various PSBs’ which recruit through IBPS.
9) Pros and Cons of SBI PO and IBPS PO
SBI PO Pros
- Faster promotions.
- Salary and Allowances of SBI PO are way higher than any other PSU banks.
- With a good network of branches abroad, SBI offers greater chances of foreign postings during employee’s tenure.
SBI PO Cons
- Due to the high number of branches, it has frequent transfers.
- Due to higher rural penetration, there are higher chances of rural posting.
- Also, due to shortage of employees in some branches, the work-life balance is not good in SBI.
IBPS PO Pros
- As compared to SBI PO, the work pressure is less.
- The salary and allowances of an IBPS PO is attractive.
- There is job security as an IBPS PO.
IBPS PO Cons
- Rural postings are very probable in IBPS PO.
- The promotions as an IBPS PO are not as frequent as an SBI PO.
Q1. Which has faster promotions between SBI PO vs IBPS PO?
Ans. Promotions mostly depend on the capabilities of an employee, however, in general, SBI PO has faster promotions as compared to IBPS PO.
Q2. Who gives rural postings between SBI PO vs IBPS PO?
Ans. There are chances of rural postings in both SBI PO & IBPS PO during your probation period.
Q3. Which has the higher competition between SBI PO vs IBPS PO?
Ans. The number of applicants for both the exams is almost the same, however, due to the lesser number of vacancies in SBI PO the competition is quite higher.
Q4. Which has a greater workload between SBI PO vs IBPS PO?
Ans. All the banks nowadays have a high workload but SBI PO has a greater workload when compared to IBPS PO due to various government schemes being implemented through SBI.
That’s all for this blog, hope you guys get an idea of SBI PO vs IBPS PO which will help you in deciding your preferred exam.
Best of Luck.