SSC CHSL English Preparation: All the aspirants of SSC CHSL must brace themselves because the SSC CHSL exam is just around the corner. Preparation strategy is the only thing that is different between the candidates who get selected and the candidates who do not. One of the most important sections in the SSC CHSL exam is the English section. You must have an idea of how SSC CHSL English Preparation can be done. Even though it seems like the English section is easier than the rest of the sections, it is tricky and candidates are prone to overlook small mistakes. Sometimes your answers sound right when in fact they are wrong. SSC CHSL English questions require a good amount of knowledge of grammar. So the question is how to prepare English for the SSC CHSL exam? Let’s discuss the SSC CHSL English preparation strategy in detail.
Exam Pattern of SSC CHSL Tier I Exam
|S. No.||Name of the section||Total number of questions||Total number of marks|
As can be seen, In the SSC CHSL Tier-1 examination, English sections carry a total of 50 marks. So preparing well for this section can really change the whole game.
SSC CHSL English | Important Topics for Tier 1 2020-21
- Antonyms & Synonyms
- Spelling Rules
- One word Substitution
- Idioms & Phrases
- Spotting the Error
- Sentence Improvement
- Cloze Test
- Sequence of Sentence
- Sentence Completion
- Comprehension Passage
Know SSC CHSL Syllabus
Previous exam analysis for SSC CHSL English section
|S. No.||Topic||Number of questions asked (based on SSC CHSL 2017-18)||Difficulty level of the questions|
|1.||Active voice/ Passive voice||1||Easy to moderate|
|2.||Direct & indirect speech||1||Easy to moderate|
|4.||Cloze test & Comprehension passages||5||Moderate|
|6.||One word substitution||2||Easy to moderate|
|7.||Homonyms, antonyms and synonyms||4||Moderate to difficult|
|8.||Para jumbles||2||Moderate to difficult|
|9.||Fill in the blanks||2||Moderate|
|10.||Idioms & phrases||2||Moderate|
|11.||Spelling errors||2||Moderate to difficult|
Complete SSC CHSL Recruitment Details
SSC CHSL English Preparation- detailed topic wise tips
Fill in the blank
- Read the sentence carefully, have a look at options and select the option which is the most suitable.
- Improve your vocabulary because a lot of times the options contain technical words, so the meaning of them should be well versed to the candidate.
- Use the elimination method to eliminate the unsuitable options from the correct answer.
Spotting the error
- Knowledge of grammar rules is a must to spot the error in the sentences given in the examination.
- You can practice this section by attempting daily quizzes on the Ibps guide site.
- Refer to the grammar books to clear your basics.
Synonyms and Antonyms
- Reading the newspaper daily and boosting your vocabulary plays a key role in this topic of SSC CHSL English.
- When you come across any unfamiliar word, search for it’s Synonyms and Antonyms. This will help you get familiar with these words.
Idioms & phrases
- For quick results, you can refer to the previous year papers, many times questions get repeated. This will help you to boost up your score and also your SSC CHSL English Preparation.
- Practice from daily PDFs and notes provided by us to cover the most important Idioms & phrases for your examination.
- You can easily score marks in this topic of SSC CHSL English section if you keenly observe and remember the spelling of the words. You can also learn some basics of spelling error detection by referring to certain books like objective English by S.CHAND etc
- A passage with 5 blanks is expected to come in the SSC CHSL English section. In this test, you are provided with a passage with few blanks and you are required to fill these blanks from the given options. Choose the most appropriate word for the blank space eliminating the irrelevant answers. Answer the questions only if you are confident, guess work should be completely avoided.
- Read the paragraph thoroughly. Identify the tone of the paragraph and the given passage. Practice Speed reading to improve your speed by reading newspapers and articles daily. Do not skip the comprehension passage as it is high scoring.
- You can also practice this topic by taking as many as quizzes possible to check your speed and accuracy.
General points to remember for SSC CHSL English Preparation
- Grammar basics should be strong to get good marks in the SSC CHSL English section. So the focus should be on clearing all your doubts and getting a hold on the grammar rules. click here to check our English grammar tips
- Practicing daily via quizzes and mock tests are a must as they help you focus on the speed and accuracy both at the same time.
- A habit of reading newspapers and articles are a must of a government job aspirant, they help you build vocabulary and also improve your understanding of the language as a whole.
If you keep these things in minds, you will be able to effectively complete SSC CHSL English syllabus.
SSC CHSL English Preparation Books
Check the list of SSC CHSL English Books given below.
|Objective English for Competitive Examinations||Tata McGraw Hill|
|Competitive General English||Kiran Prakashan|
|Objective General English||SP Bakshi|
|Quick Learning Objective General English||RS Aggarwal & Vikas Aggarwal|
SSC CHSL English Preparation-FAQ’s
Q)When will the SSC CHSL 2020-21 release?
- As per the latest SSC Exam update, SSC CHSL 2020 NOtification would be released on 06-11-2020.
Q) SSC CHSL English section carries how many marks in tier-1 examination of SSC CHSL?
- It carries a total of 50 marks in the tier -1 examination of SSC CHSL.
Q) Is there any negative marking in case of wrong attempts?
- Yes ,there will be a negative marking of 0.50 marks for each wrong answer.