Dear Aspirants, English Language is an important section for all the competitive exams that occupy an inseparable part. Generally, most of the candidates have lost their marks in this section. This is due to the unawareness of the english section on how to prepare smartly. English section is nothing but it needs to be strong in basic grammar, vocabulary and reading skills. If you are having those skills surely you will score good marks in the examinations. But even though you have the skill, you must practice it regularly then only it will be retained with you. So for your practice purpose, here we have given the questions based on the english language. We have tried to cover all the topics under the latest updated syllabus and exam pattern.
1) In the following question, some part of the sentence may have errors. Find out which part of the sentence has an error and select the appropriate option.
If a sentence is free from error, select ‘No Error’.
Recently I visited Kerala(A)/and found the sceneries(B)/to be breathtaking. (C)/No error(D)
2) Rearrange the parts of the sentence in correct order.
The twenty-four tributes
P-that could hold anything from a
Q-will be imprisoned in a vast outdoor arena
R-burning desert to a frozen wasteland
3) In the following question, a sentence has been given in Active/Passive voice. Out of four alternatives suggested, select the one which best expresses the same sentence in Passive/Active voice.
Have the car stolen!
(a) Steal the car.
(b) You should have the stolen car.
(c) Get someone to steal the car.
(d) They have stolen the car.
4) Improve the bracketed part of the sentence.
Look at this video clip in which (I, my friend and you) are enjoying a boat ride.
(a) you, my friend and I
(b) I, you and my friend
(c) my friend, you and I
(d) no improvement
5) In the following question, a sentence has been given in Direct/Indirect speech. Out of the four alternatives suggested, select the one which best express the same sentence in Indirect/Direct speech.
The teacher said to the students, “Don’t make noise.”
(a) The teacher asked the students not to make noise.
(b) The teacher scolded the students, they should not make noise.
(c) The teacher warned the students not to make noise.
(d) The teacher told the students that don’t make noise.
6) In the following question, a sentence has been given in Active/Passive Voice. Out of the four alternatives suggested, select the one which best expresses the same sentence in Passive/Active Voice.
Mrs. Vaijanthi teaches us literature.
(a) We have been taught literature by Mrs. Vaijanthi.
(b) Literature is being taught by Mrs. Vaijanthi to us.
(c) Literature is being taught to us by Mrs. Vaijanthi.
(d) Literature is taught by Mrs. Vaijanthi to us.
7) Select the antonym of
8) In the following question, out of the four alternatives, select the alternative which best expresses the meaning of the idiom/phrase.
(a) Accuracy is paramount
(b) Non-acceptance of antisocial behaviour
(c) No return without risk
(d) No problem at all
9) Rearrange the parts of the sentence in correct order.
Do not be anxious about
P – thanksgiving, present your requests to God
Q – and petition, with
R – anything, but in every situation, by prayer
10) In the following question, out of the four alternatives, select the alternative which best expresses the meaning of the idiom/phrase.
Variety is the spice of life
(a) New experiences make life more interesting
(b) Experimentation may be risky
(c) Life is very beautiful
(d) There is no life without excitement
1) Answer: B
It should be “the scenery” instead of “the sceneries” because the word ‘scenery’ is uncountable in English. It may be countable in some other languages. However, in English, we can’t say sceneries or a scenery.
2) Answer: C
3) Answer: C
4) Answer: A
Option (a) is correct because the sequence we follow is “2nd person/3rd person/1st person”.
5) Answer: C
6) Answer: D
Correct answer is “Literature is taught by Mrs. Vaijanthi to us..”
7) Answer: B
deep-seated means strongly felt or believed and very difficult to change or get rid of and temporary means lasting for only a limited period of time; not permanent.
8) Answer: B
Zero tolerance means absolutely no toleration of even the smallest infraction of a rule.
Tolerance cannot be related with accuracy
9) Answer: D
10) Answer: A
Variety is the spice of life means new and exciting experiences make life more interesting.