SSC JE Exam Pattern: SSC JE is a National Level Exam conducted Every year by Staff Selection Commission (SSC) for the recruitment of Junior Engineers (JEs) in various branches of Engineering including Civil, Electrical, Mechanical, and Quantity Surveying & Contracts. The exam is conducted to recruit candidates for Group-B (non-gazetted) posts. According to the revised calendar released by the SSC, Notification for SSC JE is expected to be released on 1 October 2020.
After Candidates have filled their SSC JE Online Application, they must be aware of the SSC JE Exam pattern for both Paper I and Paper II, hence in this Page Candidates will find the SSC JE Exam Pattern as provided by the commission.
SSC JE Notification And Exam Updates
Due to the COVID-19 situation in the Country, many SSC exams were postponed, the following table consists of the new Notification and Exam Dates as provided by the SSC in their Revised calendar.
|SSC JE 2020 Notification||1st October 2020|
|SSC JE Online Application Start Date||1st October 2020|
|SSC JE Online Application End Date||30th October 2020|
|Paper-I(Computer Based Test)||22nd March 2021 to 25th March 2021|
|Paper-I Result Date||To be Updated|
|Paper-II(Descriptive Paper) Exam Date||To be Updated|
|Paper-II Exam Result||To be Updated|
SSC JE Exam Pattern
SSC JE Exam Pattern consists of two Papers, which are provided below:-
- Paper-I (Computer Based Exam)
- Paper-II (Descriptive Paper)
SSC JE Exam Pattern-Paper-I (CBE)
Paper-1 is a CBE which carries 200 objective-type questions(MCQ) of 200 marks. The question paper is divided into three parts – General Intelligence & Reasoning, General Awareness, and General Engineering.
|Paper||Subjects||Number of Questions||Marks||Time Duration|
|Paper-1(Computer Based Exam)-MCQ’s||General Intelligence and Reasoning||50||50||Cumulative time Duration of 2 hours|
|General Engineering Part A – (Civil & Structural OR Part B (Electrical) OR Part C (Mechanical)||100||100|
Important Points for SSC JE Paper-I
- For every Candidate Section 1 and 2 are the same but Section 3 is different for candidates according to their respective Engineering Streams, third Sections consists of 100 questions and examines the candidate’s knowledge for the subject chosen from Civil/ Mechanical/ Electrical Engineering.
- Candidates appearing for the post of Junior Engineer (Electrical) are required to attempt Part-B (Electrical Engineering) similarly candidates appearing for the post of Junior Engineer (Mechanical) are required to attempt Part-C (Mechanical Engineering)
- For every right answer candidates are awarded with 1 mark and for every wrong answer there is a negative marking of 0.25 marks which is deducted from the Candidates final Score.
SSC JE Exam Pattern-Paper-II (Descriptive Paper)
Paper-II is Descriptive in Nature, they are Pen and Paper Based Examination
|Paper||Subjects||Maximum Marks||Exam Time Duration|
|Paper-II(Descriptive Exam)||Part A – General Engineering (Civil and Structural) OR
Part B – General Engineering (Electrical) OR
Part C – General Engineering (Mechanical)
|300 marks||2 hours|
Important Points for SSC JE Paper-II
- Candidates have to attempt a question paper according to their Engineering Trade of 300 marks in 2 hours.
- Candidates in Paper-II have to choose the subject from Part A- Civil & Structural Engineering, Part B- Electrical Engineering or Part C- Mechanical Engineering.
- Candidates are allowed to bring their own Calculator, Log Table and Steam Table for Paper-II.
- There is no negative marking applicable in Paper-II.
SSC JE Exam 2020 Eligibility Criteria
The SSC JE Exam Eligibility Criteria is based on three factors, which a candidate must full-fill in order to fill their SSC JE Online Application, they are as follows:-
A candidate must be either a citizen of India or a subject of Nepal/Bhutan or a Tibetan Refugee who came to India before January 1, 1962 or an Indian who migrated from Pakistan, Burma, Sri Lanka, East Africa countries.
- Age Limit
Age Limit for Candidates varies depending on their Stream/department, but they should not be more than 32 years of Age.
- Educational Qualification
A candidate should complete his/her degree/diploma in Civil/Electrical/Mechanical Engineering at the time of filling SSC JE Online form. In case any candidate does not possess the qualifying examination certificate before the closing date of application form, that candidate will not be permitted to apply for SSC JE Exam.
Frequently Asked Questions
Q1. SSC JE exam is conducted every year for which Posts?
Ans. The SSC JE exam is conducted for the post of Junior Engineer in Civil, Electrical and Mechanical branches of Engineering.
Q2. Is there any negative marking for the SSC JE 2020 Exam?
Ans. Yes, there is negative marking for Paper 1, ¼th for every wrong answer will be deducted from the Candidates total marks. In case of Paper 2 there is no negative marking.
Q3. How many stages are there in the SSC JE exam?
Ans. The SSC JE exam is conducted in two stages – paper-I(Computer Based Exam) and Paper-II(Descriptive Paper).
Q4. SSC JE Exam is conducted for which engineering branches?
Ans. Candidates having a diploma/degree in civil, mechanical and Electrical are eligible for SSC JE Exam.