Nowadays, the first criterion to select candidates in most of the companies is through group discussion. Through group discussion only, candidates are selected for the post. Further, in the banking sector, clearing group discussion is very important. In banks, the candidates are selected on the basis of communication skills and group discussion.
Why group discussion should be the first criteria for selecting candidates in banks?
The candidates who want to make their career in banking sector should possess good communication skills. The candidate should communicate with team members, managers and customers. That is the reason why interpersonal skills are very important.
If the candidate is very good in the work but when it comes it to taking credit for the work, someone else is taking the credit. It infers that the candidate lags in communication. The candidate might be excellent in many skills, but what if he/she is not able to communicate her thoughts with seniors or evaluators ? It will simply result in losing the credits of her own work.
The first impression is the best impression. If the candidate makes a good impression while speaking in interviews, it is the basic skill every professional should have. So, just let us take a glance on how to make this impression.
What skills are judged in group discussion?
- How good are your communication skills when compared with others.
- The interaction of the candidate with the group.
- How much extrovert are you.
- Your listening skills.
- How can you share your views.
- Your leadership and decision-making skills.
- Your analysis skills and subject knowledge.
- Problem solving and critical thinking skills.
- Your attitude and confidence.
Now let us see what things which we should follow and what all things to avoid in a group discussion in a bank interview.
Do’s and Don’ts of Group discussion in bank interview:
- Eye contact: Please keep your eye contact while speaking. Do not only look at the evaluators. Instead, try to keep eye contact with every team member while speaking.
- Star the group discussion: Initiating the group discussion is a plus point. Please ensure that you start the group discussion only when you understood the group discussion topic clearly and have some knowledge. If you speak without proper subject knowledge, then it will create a bad impression.
- Allow others to speak: Make sure that you do not interrupt anyone in-between while speaking. It is totally fine if you do not agree with his/her thoughts but never snatch their chance to speak. Further, make some notes and make clear points when your turn comes.
- Speak clearly: Make sure that you speak politely and clearly. In addition, use simple and understandable words while speaking. Never be too much aggressive even if you are disagreeing with someone. Please express your point calmly and politely.
- Bring the group discussion on track: If the members in the group discussion are speaking and distracting from the topic, then take the initiative to bring back the discussion on track. All the group members should be aware that all of them should come to a conclusion at the end of the discussion. So sticking to the topic is mandatory.
- Positive attitude: Never try to dominate anyone. Show out your interest in the group discussion.
- Speak sensibly: Please ensure that you do not speak to increase your speaking time in the group discussion. You should make sensible points and talk relevant instead of irrelevant speech.
- Listen carefully to others: You can speak less and listen to other members in the group discussion. Pay more attention while other members in group discussion are speaking. This will lead to make meaningful discussion and you will get involved in the group also. You will surely make people agree with you.
- Do not go in detail: There is no need to go in much detail. Only having some basic analysis about the topic is enough. It is not necessary that you mention appropriate facts while giving any reference. You have only little time to be precise and convey your thoughts in short and simple language.
- Formal dressing: Never wear a casual dress and go for group discussion in bank interview. You should be comfortable while you speak in the group discussion. A positive gesture and body language will make your work easier.
So, what are you waiting for? Just, follow these simple steps to crack the group discussion very easily and land up in your dream job.