We have added the UNESCO world Heritage sites in India here. This is an important static GK topic for the competitive exams. In the world there are so many UNESCO world heritage sites. You prepare with UNESCO world Heritage sites in India list for exams.
Every year, the demand for the competitive exam is increasing in a rapid rate. The candidates should be ready to face any difficult papers. So that the aspirants have to work very hard to secure a government job. Especially candidates have to prepare with no stones left unturned, for the current affairs and general awareness topics. Here we have added the UNESCO world heritage sites in India for your preparation. Only if you prepare hard you can answer those one or two questions from this topic. So don’t take this as light and prepare the list of UNESCO world heritage sites in India pdf with a dedication. This list takes just 1 to 2 hours of preparation. Then timely revision is more than enough. So that you can easily answer questions related to UNESCO world heritage sites in India UPSC and other competitive exams.
UNESCO World Heritage Sites:
The United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO) organization was formed on the 4th November of 1945. Its headquarters is in Paris (France). The parent organization of the UNESCO is, United Nations Economic and Social Council. The Present director General of UNESCO is Audrey Azoulay. UNESCO is aimed contributing “to the building of peace, the eradication of poverty, sustainable development and intercultural dialogue through education, the sciences, culture, communication and information. The UNESCO selects some landmark or area at various parts of the World, for possessing cultural, scientific, historical and other significances. Those UNESCO recognized areas are known as the UNESCO World heritage sites. In India also there are several UNESCO World heritage sites.
To get selected as a UNESCO World heritage site, the area must be in the classified landmark list. Also the site must be unique in some respect as a geographically and historically identifiable place having special cultural or physical significance. For example, the UNESCO World heritage site can be a building, city, complex, desert, forest, island, lake, monument, mountain, wilderness area, ancient ruin or historical structure.
Selection Criteria for Cultural Heritage Sites:
There were totally 10 criteria for getting selected as the UNESCO world heritage site. 6 criteria is for cultural heritage sites and 4 criteria for the natural heritage sites. Nominated sites must be of “outstanding universal value” and meet at least one of the ten criteria. The list of UNESCO world heritage sites in India 2020 also meet any of these criteria to get into the list.
- The site must represent a masterpiece of human creative genius.
- Site should exhibit an important interchange of human values, over a span of time or within a cultural area of the world, on developments in monumental arts, architecture or technology, landscape design or town-planning.
- It should have a unique or at least exceptional testimony to civilization or a cultural tradition which is living or which has disappeared.
- The site should behave as an outstanding example of a type of building, architectural or technological ensemble or landscape which illustrates significant stages in human history.
- The site should behave as an outstanding example of a traditional human settlement, land-use, or sea-use which is representative of a culture (or cultures), or human interaction with the environment especially when it has become vulnerable under the impact of irreversible change.
- It should directly or tangibly associated with events or living traditions, with ideas, or with beliefs, with artistic and literary works of outstanding universal significance.
Selection Criteria for Natural Heritage Sites:
For natural heritage sites there are 4 criteria. The UNESCO world natural heritage sites in India also fulfill any of these criteria to get in to this list.
- To contain superlative natural phenomena or areas of exceptional natural beauty and aesthetic importance.
- The site should behave as the outstanding examples representing major stages of earth’s history, including the record of life, significant on-going geological processes in the development of landforms, or significant geomorphic or physiographic features.
- To be outstanding examples representing significant on-going ecological and biological processes in the evolution and development of terrestrial, fresh water, coastal and marine ecosystems and communities of plants and animals.
- To contain the most important and significant natural habitats for in-situ conservation of biological diversity, including those containing threatened species of outstanding universal value from the point of view of science or conservation.
Cultural UNESCO Heritage Sites in India:
The Cultural UNESCO world heritage sites in India are available in the table. They are with unique cultural facets such as Paintings, monuments, architecture, etc.
UNESCO Cultural World Heritage Sites in India
Year of Notification
|The Architectural Work of Le Corbusier, an Outstanding Contribution to the Modern Movement||Chandigarh||2016|
|Victorian and Art Deco Ensemble of Mumbai||Maharashtra||2018|
|Historic City of Ahmedabad||Gujarat||2017|
|Archaeological Site of Nalanda Mahavihara (Nalanda University)||Bihar||2016|
|Hill Forts of Rajasthan||Rajasthan||2013|
|The Jantar Mantar||Rajasthan||2010|
|Red Fort Complex||Delhi||2007|
|Champaner-Pavagadh Archaeological Park||Gujarat||2004|
|Chhatrapati Shivaji Terminus||Maharashtra||2004|
|Rock Shelters of Bhimbetka||Madhya Pradesh||2003|
|Mahabodhi Temple Complex at Bodh Gaya||Bihar||2002|
|Mountain Railways of India||Tamil Nadu||1999|
|Humayun’s Tomb, Delhi||Delhi||1993|
|Qutb Minar and its Monuments, Delhi||Delhi||1993|
|Buddhist Monuments at Sanchi||Madhya Pradesh||1989|
|Great Living Chola Temples||Tamil Nadu||1987|
|Group of Monuments at Pattadakal||Karnataka||1987|
|Churches and Convents of Goa||Goa||1986|
|Fatehpur Sikri||Uttar Pradesh||1986|
|Group of Monuments at Hampi||Karnataka||1986|
|Khajuraho Group of Monuments||Madhya Pradesh||1986|
|Group of Monuments at Mahabalipuram||Tamil Nadu||1984|
|Sun Temple, Konarak||Orissa||1984|
|Agra Fort||Uttar Pradesh||1983|
|Taj Mahal||Uttar Pradesh||1983|
Natural UNESCO Heritage Sites in India:
As following the above criteria, the Natural UNESCO world heritage sites in India are given below. They are with unique geological formations, physical, biological and cultural landscapes.
UNESCO Natural World Heritage Sites in India
Year of Notification
|Kaziranga National Park||Assam||1985|
|Keoladeo Ghana National Park||Rajasthan||1985|
|Manas Wildlife Sanctuary||Assam||1985|
|Nanda Devi National Park and Valley of Flowers||Uttarakhand||19822005|
|Sundarbans National Park||West Bengal||1984|
Tamil Nadu and
|Great Himalayan National Park||Himachal Pradesh||2014|
Mixed UNESCO Heritage Sites in India:
In the list of Mixed UNESCO world heritage sites in India, there is only one site in our country. It is the Khangchendzonga National Park in Sikkim. It comprises the components of both natural and cultural importance.
UNESCO Mixed World Heritage Sites in India
Year of Notification
|Khangchendzonga National Park||Sikkim||2016|