World Elder Abuse Awareness Day 2021 Theme: World Elder Abuse Awareness Day 2021 is a day dedicated to the growing concern over the various forms of abuse over elder people. The World Elder Abuse Awareness Day 2021 Theme aims to promote and create awareness regarding the social stigma and protect the older age group from everyday societal, cultural, or economical abuse. In a bid to spread awareness amongst the young generation regarding the abuse that elders have to face citing their negligence, the UN has decided to celebrate 15 June as World Elder Abuse Day 2021 Theme.
However, before any other discussion let’s check what is elder abuse in general?
A lot of countries are now becoming aware of the same and are now taking strict action against those people who by any means abuse elders. This is also applicable to the children who think that their old parents are a burden to their lives.
World Elder Abuse Awareness Day 2021 Theme
- The World Elder Abuse Awareness Day 2021 Theme is “Access to Justice” which serves as a reminder of how critical it is to completely meet the needs of older people who may seek remedy.
What is Elder Abuse?
- Elder Abuse is not just limited to physical assault or mental trauma but a lot of times in their old age elders are left alone by their children who don’t wish to keep the parents with themselves.
- This loneliness fills the old minds with a lot of remorse and vulnerability due to which the people are mentally traumatized and emotionally traumatized.
- This World Elder Abuse Awareness Day 2021 Theme is dedicated to Elder Abuse helps the younger generation to know an idea of what the older people feel if they are left alone.
- This World Elder Abuse Awareness Day 2021 Theme also aims to say that older people need more care and attention than any other age group.
History of Elder Abuse Awareness Day
- World Elder Abuse Awareness Day found its roots in the year 2011 when the UN received a request from the International Network for the Prevention of Elder Abuse (INPEA) regarding the mental trauma and abuse people from older age are facing over the years.
- Hence, moved by the request and the need for this day, the United Nations General Assembly passed resolution 66/127 and declared June 15 as World Elder Abuse Awareness Day.
- As per the latest and recent reports by the United Nation, 1 in every 6 elderly is subjected to some form of abuse in their life.
- Another point to note here is that even though there is a lot of awareness the number is increasing day by day and it is expected to grow in the upcoming ten years.
- This is a serious concern as abuse of any kind and with people of any age group is not tolerated by society.
- Hence, the UN has pressurized on making this day more important than any other day.
- Keeping the seriousness of the situation, the UN also observes an International Day for Elders on 01 October annually.
- This World Elder Abuse Day 2021 Theme marks the contribution done by the elderly group in making this world.
Significance of World Elder Abuse Awareness Day 2021 Theme
According to the World Health Organization, citing the population boom, the number of elder people as compared to younger people will be more in the upcoming 20 years. Also, in the upcoming years, at least 4 to 6% of older people will be more prone to suffer from verbal abuse. Hence, it is time that we stand up, identify the vulnerability, and report it to the earliest. The day also serves as an idea of reporting this abuse and finding an effective solution regarding the same.
As per the UN, any kind of abuse is it financial abuse, sexual abuse, domestic violence, physical or emotional abuse or just sheer ignorance towards elders is a crime. In the words of the organization, elder people deserve more respect, love, and care in society. Any abuse or negligence towards them can leave a long-term mental effect and physical injuries could be fatal. Therefore, the UN supports this cause and wishes that more people talk about this issue and protect the social and human rights of the elderly people in society.