This post is also available in: हिन्दी (Hindi)
Dear Readers, Daily Current Affairs News Updates about the National and International events were listed here. Read Current Affairs Today here and stay updated with current news. Candidates those who are preparing for IBPS/SBI/PO/Clerk exam and all other competitive exams can use this and try Current Affairs Quiz to test your knowledge level.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: DAYS
National Handloom Day
- The National Handloom Day is observed annually on 7th of August to honour the handloom weavers in the country and also highlight the handloom industry.
- The Union government had declared 7 the August as the National Handloom Day in July 2015 with the objective to generate awareness about the importance of handloom industry.
- August 7 was chosen as the National Handloom Day to commemorate the Swadeshi Movement which was launched on this day in 1905 in the Calcutta Town hall to protest against partition of Bengal by the British Government. The movement had aimed at reviving domestic products and production processes.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: NATIONAL
Indian Railways to run first Kisan Rail special service between Maharashtra-Bihar
- Indian Railways is all set to run its first timetabled “Kisan Rail” special parcel service.
- Piyush Goyal chaired Railway Ministry is introducing the first Kisan Rail service from Devlali in the state of Maharashtra to Danapur in the state of Bihar.
- The Kisan Rail, which comprises 10 parcel vans and one luggage cum brake van, will run on a weekly basis.
- The city of Nasik in Maharashtra and its surrounding region produces a huge quantity of fresh fruits, vegetables, flowers, onions, other perishables, as well as other agro products.
- Mainly, these perishable items are transported to areas around Allahabad, Patna, Satna, Katni, etc. The Kisan Rail special parcel service has been provided scheduled halts at Nasik Road, Jalgaon, Manmad, Bhusaval, Burhanpur, Itarsi, Khandwa, Jabalpur, Satna, Katni, Prayagraj Chheoki, Manikpur, Buxar and Pandit Deendayal Upadhyay Nagar.
About Ministry of Railways
- Minister of Railways and Minister of Commerce and Industry: Piyush Vedprakash Goyal
- Constituency: Maharashtra
Govt to launch National Clinical Registry for COVID-19
- The Government is set to launch a National Clinical Registry for COVID-19. The main objective of this registry is to collect real time clinical data which will help in evidence based clinical practice, research, formulation of guidelines and policy making.
- The Ministry of Health and Family Welfare, Indian Council of Medical Research (ICMR) and All India Institute of Medical Sciences have proposed to establish a COVID-19 clinical registry for data collection from 100 hospitals across the country. The duration of the study will be one year and any COVID-19 lab confirmed and hospitalized patient will be enrolled.
- ICMR invited a letter of intent from institutions, hospitals identified as dedicated COVID Hospitals and COVID Health Centres to establish this registry.
- This study is aimed at collecting data regarding clinical and laboratory features, treatments and outcomes of hospitalized COVID-19 patients in India.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: BANKING AND FINANCE
South India Bank gets RBI nod for setting up non-financial subsidiary
- Private sector lender South Indian Bank (SIB) said the RBI has given an in-principle approval for setting up a wholly owned non-financial subsidiary.
- SIB, which has been struggling to come out of its large bad loans trap, seems to be preparing the ground to set up subsidiaries or associate companies in order to try its hand at other areas including retail financing, insurance, reinsurance etc.
- However, the bank has not given additional details on the new entity or what the activity of the new non-financial subsidiary will be except that it will be a wholly-owned subsidiary.
- CEO: V. G. Mathew
- Headquarters: Thrissur
RBI permits banks to invest in debt instruments through mutual funds
- RBI has permitted banks to invest in debt instruments through mutual funds or exchange traded funds without allocating additional charges.
- As per RBI’s extant Basel III guidelines, if a bank holds a debt instrument directly, it would have to allocate lower capital as compared to holding the same debt instrument through a mutual fund- or exchange traded fund.
- While unveiling the bi-monthly monetary policy review, RBI Governor Shaktikanta Das stated it has been decided to harmonise the differential treatment existing currently.
- He stated, this will result in substantial capital savings for banks and is expected to give a boost to the corporate bond market.
- The RBI Governor stated the general market risk charge of 9 per cent will apply on both direct holdings, as well as through mutual funds or ETFs.
NPCI launches loyalty platform ‘nth Rewards’
- NPCI has launched a business intelligence and analytics enabled omni-channel multi-branded loyalty platform, nth Rewards. It will allow users to earn points through various bank transactions and redeem them on various products, such as e-vouchers, donations, hotel and flight bookings.
- NPCI has created a comprehensive platform for the banks, which will enable them to retain and grow their customer base. This integration with the banking system will be secured with PCI-DSS compliance and APIs, with an onboarding time of 4 to 6 weeks. The platform can then be integrated in any existing website or app which will reduce the market time without changing customer’s experience.
- It will consist of four platforms, starting with a loyalty engine that will allow consumers to earn points from various digital transactions, the analytics and business intelligence will provide access to the product portfolio, the offers and rewards platform will curate customer-specific offers and the campaign manager will enable communication with consumers through emails and messages.
- Headquarters: Mumbai, Maharashtra, India
- Non-Exe Chairman: Biswamohan Mahapatra
- MD & CEO: Dilip Asbe
SBM Bank collaborates with InstaReM to enhance outbound remittance
- SBM Bank India has partnered with InstaReM to improve existing outbound remittance service offerings from India. The users of both SBM Bank and InstaReM will be able to remit money to more markets and send funds overseas in real-time.
- SBM Bank India has partnered with InstaReM, the consumer and SME brand under global fintech platform Nium, to improve existing outbound remittance service offerings from India, including introduction of new remittance corridors, increased frequency of transactions for outbound transactions and enhanced delivery timings for transfers.
- The lender will be utilising InstaReM’s payment rails to facilitate last mile outbound transfer deliveries for the users in India. Meanwhile, the customers will be able to remit money to over 100 corridors that InstaReM is present in, 65 of which are in real-time.
- SBM Bank will become the licensed banking partner for InstaReM and gain access to the United States, Canada, Australia, Europe, Singapore, Malaysia and Hong Kong and users of both SBM Bank and InstaReM will be able to remit money to more markets and send funds overseas in real-time.
About SBM Bank:
- Headquarters: Port Louis, Mauritius
- Chairman: Mr. Kee Chong LI KWONG WING
IBBI amends Insolvency & Bankruptcy Board of India, Liquidation Process, Third Amendment, Regulations, 2020
- The Insolvency and Bankruptcy Board of India notified the Insolvency and Bankruptcy Board of India, Liquidation Process, Third Amendment, Regulations, 2020.
- The Regulations require the committee of creditors to fix the fee payable to the liquidator. Where the fee has not been fixed by the committee of creditors, the Regulations provide for a fee as a percentage of the amount realised and of the amount distributed by the liquidator.
- There have been instances where a liquidator realises the amount while another liquidator distributes the same to stakeholders. The amendment made to the Regulations clarifies that where a liquidator realises any amount, but does not distribute the same, he shall be entitled to a fee corresponding to the amount realised by him. These are available at mca.gov.in and www.ibbi.gov.in.
About Insolvency and Bankruptcy Board of India:
- Chairperson: M. S. Sahoo,
- Founded: 1 October 2016
- Headquarters: New Delhi
CURRENT AFFAIRS: STATES
Foundation stone laid for Indian Institute of Management in Sirmaur, Himachal Pradesh
- Union Education Minister Ramesh Pokhriyal along with Chief Minister of Himachal Pradesh Jai Ram Thakur; Minister of State for Finance Anurag Singh Thakur and Minister of State for Education Sanjay Dhotre laid the foundation stone of the Indian Institute of Management (IIM) Sirmaur in Himachal Pradesh
- The IIM Sirmaur was operationalised by IIM Lucknow as the mentor institution with the commencement of the first batch of PGP of 20 students, from its temporary campus at Paonta Sahib, Sirmaur and over a period of less than five years, it has a student strength of over 300.
- The Centre has sanctioned an amount of Rs 531.75 crore out of which Rs 392.51 crore is for construction works covering the area of 60,384 sq mtr in Phase-I which caters to 600 students.
About Himachal Pradesh
- Capitals: Shimla (Summer), Dharamshala (Winter)
- Chief minister: Jai Ram Thakur
- Governor: Bandaru Dattatreya
Chhattisgarh govt launches scheme for tendu leaves collectors
- Chhattisgarh Chief Minister Bhupesh Baghel launched a social security scheme for tendu leaves collectors in the state, which will benefit over 12 lakh families, mostly tribals and forest dwellers engaged in its collection
- Shaheed Mahendra Karma Tendupatta Sangrahak Samajik Suraksha Yojana, named after slain Congress leader Mahendra Karma who was popularly known as Bastar tiger for his tough stand against Naxals, was among 29 people, including senior Congress leaders, who were killed in a Naxal attack in Jhiram valley of Bastar district on May 25, 2013.
- Tendu leaves, used for making bidis (leaf-wrapped cigarettes), are collected by forest dwellers and from them it is purchased by the state government.
About Benefits of Scheme
- Under the scheme, financial aid of Rs 2 lakh will be provided to the nominee or the heir in case of normal death of the head of the family of the registered tendu leaves collectors (if the age of the head of the family is not beyond 50 years).
- In case of death due to accident, additional financial aid Rs 2 lakh will be provided, whereas in case of permanent disability caused due to the accident, assistance of Rs 2 lakh will be given and Rs 1 lakh in case of partial disability in the mishap.
- If the age of the head of such family is between 50 and 59 years, then in case of his/her normal death, Rs 30,000 will be provided as financial aid to their kin or nominee, while Rs 75,000 in case of accidental death.
- Similarly in this category, Rs 75,000 will be given in case of permanent disability caused to the head of family in the accident and Rs 37,500 in case of partial disability.
- Chief minister: Bhupesh Baghel
- Governor: Anusuiya Uikey
- Capitals: Raipur
Haryana CM Khattar launches welfare schemes for women, kids
- Khattar launched the ‘Mukhya Mantri Doodh Uphar Yojana’ and ‘Mahila Evam Kishori Samman Yojana’. He urged the DCs to include ‘Mukhya Mantri Doodh Uphar Yojana’ in their flagship programmes.
- This is to make targeted efforts towards addressing the problems of anaemia and malnutrition among women and children in their respective districts.
About the schemes
- Under the ‘Mukhya Mantri Doodh Uphar Yojana’, fortified flavoured skimmed milk powder will be provided to children between 1 and 6 years of age in anganwadi centres along with pregnant and lactating mothers.
- Under the ‘Mahila Evam Kishori Samman Yojana’, adolescent girls and women between 10 to 45 years belonging to as many as 11,24,871 BPL families will be provided free sanitary napkins.
- Capital: Chandigarh
- Chief minister: Manohar Lal Khattar
- Governor: Satyadev Narayan Arya
Maharashtra govt announces partnership with Google for introducing digital education tools in schools across state
- The Maharashtra government has announced a partnership with Google for introducing digital education tools in schools across the state. It will enable 2.3 crore students and teachers to access the technology giant’s blended learning programmes that combine classroom approach with online learning.
- As part of the tie-up, which has come at a time when online classes have become a norm due to the COVID-19 pandemic, Google will deploy free tools like G Suite for Education, Google Classroom and Google Meet to facilitate remote learning.
- Chief Minister Uddhav Thackeray stated Maharashtra is the first state in the country to launch G Suite for Education and Google Classroom. He requested Google to help use their technology for work from home.
- Capital: Mumbai
- Governor: Bhagat Singh Koshyari
- Chief Minister: Uddhav Thackeray
CURRENT AFFAIRS: MERGERS AND ACQUISITIONS
Oman India Joint Investment Fund II buys 1.63% in DCB Bank
- Oman India Joint Investment Fund II (OIJIF) has acquired 07 million shares or 1.63% stake in Mumbai based DCB Bank through a block trade on stock exchanges. The stake is valued at₹42 crore.
- OIJIF is a private equity fund backed by State Bank of India (SBI) and State General Reserve Fund of Oman (SGRF), purchased 50,69,903 shares of DCB Bank through a bulk deal.
- The shares were purchased at an average price of₹90 valuing the transaction at ₹41.52 crore
About DCB Bank
- Headquarters: Maharashtra
- CEO: Murali M. Natrajan
LIC acquires close to 5% stake in Yes Bank
- Yes Bank stated LIC had acquired close to 5 per cent shareholding in the bank by purchasing shares from the open market.
- With the fresh acquisition, the hold of LIC has increased from 75 per cent to 4.98 per cent, Yes Bank stated.
- LIC purchased 105.98 crore shares, reflecting 4.23 per cent stake, of the bank from the open market, the filing stated.
- Before this, LIC had 0.75 per cent stake in Yes Bank though 19 crore shares held. In all, it stated, LIC holding in the bank increased to 4.98 per cent through 125 crore shares held.
- The period of acquisition is between September 21, 2017, and July 31, 2020, it stated.
- Earlier this week, Moody’s Investors Service upgraded Yes Bank’s long-term foreign currency issuer rating by a notch to “B3” from “Caa1” after a Rs 15,000-crore capital raising. Despite the upgrade, Yes Bank still remains under non-investment grade.
- Obligations rated ‘B’ are considered speculative and are subject to high credit risk, while those rated ‘CAA’ are judged to be speculative of poor standing and are subject to very high credit risk.
- Chairperson: M R Kumar
- Headquarters: Mumbai
About Yes Bank:
- CEO: Prashant Kumar
- Headquarters: Mumbai
CURRENT AFFAIRS: APPS AND PORTALS
Indian Railways launches an OHE Inspection app
- Indian Railways launched an OHE Inspection app which monitors technical snags in real-time and sends alerts eliminating delays caused by such defects.
- The OHE Inspection app will capture in real-time OHE (Overhead Equipment) defects and send out quick alerts.
- It has been launched across the country and has features such as GPS tracking of patrolman, real-time capturing of OHE defects and clicking photographs.
- First time ever in the history of Indian Railways, 100% punctuality of trains achieved, with all trains on time.
About Indian Railways
- Head Quarters: New Delhi
- Union Minister for Railways: Piyush Goyal
- Chairman: V K Yadav
Telangana launches GRID Policy for IT industry development
- Telangana Cabinet approved the GRID (Growth in Dispersion) Policy to give incentives to IT companies that will set up their units.
- Telangana’s information technology industry, which notched up IT and BPO exports worth₹2-lakh crore, is largely attributed to firms located in the Western and South-Western parts of Hyderabad.
- The State Government had earlier brought in the ‘Look East’ policy to encourage IT and BPO firms to set up their facilities in Uppal and Pocharam areas.
- The idea is to reduce pressure on traffic and residential infrastructure in one part of the city by distributing the offices in different parts of the city.
- Capital: Hyderabad
- Governor: Tamilisai Soundararajan
- Chief minister: K. Chandrashekar Rao
CURRENT AFFAIRS: APPOINTMENTS AND RESIGNATIONS
WTF Sports appoints Suresh Raina, Harmanpreet Kaur as global brand ambassadors
- Win Trade Fantasy (WTF) Sports, one of India’s biggest fantasy sports gaming platform has formally announced their launch globally and appointed famed cricketers Harmanpreet Kaur and Suresh Raina as Global Brand Ambassadors.
- Harmanpreet Kaur, the captain of the Indian squad at the ICC Women’s T20 World Cup in 2020 and Suresh Raina, the IPL superstar represent high energy for the brand. Suresh Raina will be joining the brand as a Strategic Partner.
- The app currently hosts three major sports, multiple playing modes and exciting contests, ensuring that sports fans can get more skillful by letting them strategize and use their sports knowledge into rewarding behaviour.
- Users can create their own team made up of real-life players from upcoming matches, score points based on their on-field performance and compete with other fans. The app lets you manage your own team, mentor them and invite your friends to join in.
Former J&K Lt Guv Girish Chandra Murmu to be new CAG of India
- Former Lieutenant Governor of Jammu and Kashmir, Girish Chandra Murmu will be the new Comptroller and Auditor General of the country. Mr Murmu will succeed Rajiv Mehrishi.
- An IAS officer of Gujarat cadre, Mr Murmu resigned as Lieutenant Governor of Jammu and Kashmir.
PNB Housing Finance appoints Hardayal Prasad as MD and CEO
- PNB Housing Finance, the housing finance arm, promoted by Punjab National Bank (PNB) has appointed Hardayal Prasad as its new managing director (MD) and chief executive officer (CEO). Neeraj Vyas, the current interim MD and CEO of the company, will step down from the position on August 10.
- The housing arm stated that after following an extensive executive search that considered internal and external candidates, its board of directors has appointed Hardayal Prasad as managing director and chief executive officer of PNB Housing Finance.
- Last month, Hardayal Prasad had resigned as the managing director and chief executive of SBI Card pursuant to voluntary retirement from State Bank of India (SBI). He has over three decades of professional experience in banking, international operations at SBI and later with SBI Card, where he initiated the IPO of SBI Card and also led to the transformational journey of the company by repositioning it as a pure play credit card company, with leadership position in the market.
About PNB Housing Finance:
- Headquarters: New Delhi, India
- Managing Director: Neeraj vyas
Capital India Finance Limited Appoints Former Chairman, NABARD, Dr. Harsh Kumar Bhanwala As Executive Chairman
- Capital India Finance Limited announced the appointment of Harsh Kumar Bhanwala, an Industry Veteran and former Chairman – NABARD, as the Executive Chairman, to the board with effect from August 6, 2020.
- Prior to joining, Capital India, Dr. Bhanwala has been the Chairman – NABARD and the Executive Director of India Infrastructure Finance Company Ltd. (IIFCL) and also functioned as its Chairman and Managing Director from 2012 to 2013.
- Bhanwala holds a Post-Graduate degree in Management from IIM, Ahmedabad and is also a PhD holder. He has also been the Managing Director of Delhi State Cooperative Bank Ltd (DSCB), during its turning around (1999 to 2005).
- During his stay with NABARD & DSCB, he led various initiatives related to Financial Inclusion, Microfinance, Coop. Credit Institutions, Rural Infrastructure Project Development and Project Appraisal related to Agricultural Projects.
Pradeep Kumar Joshi appointed as UPSC chairman
- Educationist Professor Pradeep Kumar Joshi was appointed as the chairman of the Union Public Service Commission (UPSC), that conducts the civil services examination to select India’s bureaucrats and diplomats among others, officials stated.
- Joshi is currently a member in the Commission. He will succeed Arvind Saxena who completes his term as UPSC chairman, officials stated.
- Joshi, who was the chairman of both Chhattisgarh and Madhya Pradesh Public Service Commissions, joined the UPSC as member in May 2015.
- His tenure as the chairman of the UPSC will be till May 12, 2021, an official stated. With his appointment as the chairman, there is a vacancy of a member in the UPSC.
- At present, Bhim Sain Bassi, Air Marshal A S Bhonsle (retired), Sujata Mehta, Manoj Soni, Smita Nagaraj, M Sathiyavathy Bharat Bhushan Vyas, TCA Anant and Rajiv Nayan Choubey are other members of the UPSC.
- The commission conducts the civil services examination annually in three stages — preliminary, mains and interview — to select officers of Indian Administrative Service (IAS), Indian Police Service (IPS) and Indian Foreign Service (IFS) among others.
Ex-BMC chief Praveen Pardeshi to head UN crisis response team
- Former BMC Commissioner Praveen Pardeshi will soon join United Nations Institute for Training and Research (UNITAR) as global programme coordinator.
- The Appointments Committee of the cabinet of the Central government has approved his UN posting.
- In his new role, the 1985-batch IAS officer will be leading the United Nations’ efforts to prevent non-communicable diseases in 90 countries around the world.
- After his exit from BMC, Pardeshi was appointed Additional Chief Secretary in the Urban Development Department with additional charge of Irrigation Department. He will be replaced by the IAS officer Bhushan Gagarani.
- The veteran IAS officer held several key post in past. He was the collector of Latur when the devastating 1993 earthquake hit, killing around 10,000 people. He played a key role in redevelopment of the district. In 2018, he was appointed BMC commissioner.
About United Nations Institute for Training and Research:
- Headquarters: Geneva, Switzerland
- Executive Director: Nikhil Seth
CURRENT AFFAIRS: AWARDS AND HONOURS
IICT Scientist to be awarded CRSI Bronze Medal
- Srihari Pabbaraja, senior principal scientist working in the Department of Organic Synthesis and Process Chemistry, CSIR-Indian Institute of Chemical Technology (IICT), Hyderabad, has been selected for the Chemical Research Society of India (CRSI) Bronze medal 2021 for his contributions on the total synthesis of natural products and method development for new chemical entities.
- The coveted Bronze Medal conferred by CRSI, will be presented to him during the 27th CRSI-RSC joint symposium to be held at Indian Institute of Technology (IIT) Guwahati.
- Pabbaraja is associated with the backward integration of hydroxychloroquine, a repurposed drug for novel corona virus (COVID-19) and synthesis of its key intermediates from indigenously available raw materials. He is also involved in the application of flow chemistry technology for the synthesis of active pharmaceutical ingredients (APIs).
- Pabbaraja is a recipient of several prestigious awards including CSIR Young Scientist Award-2009. He also received OPPI Young Scientist Award-2009, AVRA Young Scientist Award-2014, Dr AK Singh Memorial Young Scientist Award-2016 and CDRI Award for Excellence in Drug Research-2018, among many others. He is also an Associate Fellow of Andhra Pradesh Akademi of Sciences (FAPAS)
Indian Express’ Dipankar Ghose, website PARI chosen for 2020 Prem Bhatia journalism awards
- The Prem Bhatia awards for outstanding journalism for this year have gone to Dipankar Ghose of the Indian Express and non-profit journalism website People’s Archive of Rural India (PARI) for their coverage of COVID-19 and its impact across the country.
- Ghose and PARI, who were chosen for the awards by an independent jury, will be awarded cash prizes of Rs 2 lakh and Rs 1.5 lakh, respectively.
- The awards were instituted in 1995 in the memory of eminent journalist Prem Bhatia (1911–1995).
- The main objective of the Trust, the statement added, is to propagate the values that he stood for — objective reporting, fearless pursuit of the truth and a commitment to improving the standards of journalism in India.
- Bhatia, who had an illustrious career spanning over six decades, wrote on both political and social events in a range of newspapers, including The Civil and Military Gazette (Lahore), The Statesman (Calcutta and Delhi), The Guardian (London), The Times of India (Delhi), The Indian Express (Delhi) and The Tribune (Chandigarh).
- Earlier recipients of the Prem Bhatia award include Raj Chengappa, Neerja Chowdhury, Suhasini Haider, Praveen Swamy, Rajdeep Sardesai and P Sainath
CURRENT AFFAIRS: BOOKS AND AUTHORS
Yatish Yadav’s new book ‘RAW: A History of India’s Covert Operations’
- Journalist and author Yatish Yadav’s new book RAW: A History of India’s Covert Operations is a window into the heroic covert operations carried by India’s external spy agency Research and Analysis Wing (RAW).
- The book will give a detailed account of real spies and reveals hitherto unknown aspects of their life, trauma and temptation, triumphs and setbacks in executing each of their ‘Mission Impossible’.
- RAW, whose founder was spymaster Rameshwar Nath Kao, was established in 1968 to satisfy the need for increased intelligence that was identified during the 1962 Sino-Indian Border War and during the Indo-Pakistan War of 1965.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: SPORTS
BCCI suspends title sponsorship deal with Vivo for upcoming IPL
- The Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) has suspended the title sponsorship deal with Chinese mobile phone company Vivo for the upcoming edition of the Indian Premier League.
- The BCCI in a statement stated that Vivo will not be associated with the IPL this year. VIVO had won the IPL title sponsorship for five years from 2018 to 2022 for a reported sum of 2190 crore rupees.
- The IPL this year has been shifted to the UAE because of the prevailing COVID-19 situation in India. The tournament will be held from September 19 to November 10 amid COVID-19 protocols laid down by the ICC and BCCI
- President: Sourav Ganguly
- Secretary: Jay Shah
- Headquarters: Mumbai
CURRENT AFFAIRS: OBITUARY
Philanthropist Doris Buffet passes away at 92
- Doris Buffett, a self-styled retail philanthropist who is a sister of Billionaire Warren Buffett, has passed away.She was 92.
- Her philanthropic work focused on the underprivileged and her donations led to a city pool in the May field area, a baseball complex near Bragg Hill and a scholarship program at Germanna Community College.
Pulitzer Prize-winning novelist Shirley Ann Grau passes away at 91
- Shirley Ann Grau, a Pulitzer Prize-winning fiction writer has passed away. She was 91.
- Grau won the 1965 Pulitzer Prize for her fourth book, The Keepers of the House.
- Her six novels and four short story collections were all set in the Deep South, from New Orleans to north Louisiana and Alabama.
Author and activist Sadia Dehlvi passes away at 63
- Noted Delhi-based writer and activist Sadia Dehlvi has passed away after a prolonged battle with cancer. She was 63.
- She wrote a book on Delhi’s culinary history in 2017, titled ‘Jasmine & Jinns: Memories and Recipes of My Delhi’.
- Sadia also produced and scripted documentaries and television programmes, including ‘Amma and Family’ (1995), starring Zohra Sehgal, a veteran stage actor.
DAILY CA 6th AUG
- Hiroshima Day-6th august
- India contributes over $15 million to India-UN Development Partnership Fund
- NIDM in collaboration with IMD organises webinar series on “Hydro-Meteorological Hazards Risk Reduction
- India extends Line of Credit worth 18 million US dollars to Maldives for expansion of fishing facilities at MIFCO
- Reserve Bank of India keeps repo rate unchanged at 4 percent
- BOB Financial Solutions Limited partners Fiserv Technology for Digital Transformation
- PayU introduces payouts solutions to scale up financial operations for merchant
- NHB, NABARD get special liquidity facility of 5,000 crore each
- RBI to set up innovation hub
- RBI sets up panel under KV Kamath for one-time restructuring of loans
- Airtel Payments Bank partners Bharti AXA General Insurance to secure retailers and merchants
- Airtel, Amazon Web Services to help MSMEs, others adopt cloud solutions
- India’s first snow leopard conservation centre to come up in Uttarakhand
- Haryana CM Khattar launches ”Parivar Pehchan Patra”
- Andhra Pradesh govt ties up with ISB to set up public policy lab
- K’taka Medical Education Minister inaugurates nation’s first ICMR approved mobile RTPCR Covid lab
- CPCB developed biomedical waste tracking app ‘COVID19BWM APP’
- Web portal for management of development works in Haryana’s urban local bodies
- Govt extends Ajay Tyagi’s term as Sebi chairman by 18 months till Feb 2022
- President appoints Manoj Sinha as new Lieutenant Governor of Jammu and Kashmir
- Parekh Ashvin named as Independent Director at Nippon Life India AMC
- Reliance Industries ranked second biggest brand globally after Apple
- US conducts test flight of unarmed Minuteman 3 missile
- New grasshopper species discovered after 116 years, named after kerala biologist
- Godrej Appliances launches Godrej Viroshield, UV-C tech based sanitisation device in Kerala
- IISC Bengaluru develops mobile RT-PCR covid-19 testing lab
- Amazing Ayodhya’: New book to tell history of Lord Rama’s birth place
- Biography of India’s youngest Basketball captain Vishesh Bhriguvanshi to hit stands soon
- Former Maharashtra Chief Minister Shivajirao Patil Nilangekar passes away at 88
DAILY CA 7th AUG
- National Handloom Day-7th august
- Indian Railways to run first Kisan Rail special service between Maharashtra-Bihar
- Govt to launch National Clinical Registry for COVID-19
- South India Bank gets RBI nod for setting up non-financial subsidiary
- RBI permits banks to invest in debt instruments through mutual funds
- NPCI launches loyalty platform ‘nth Rewards’
- SBM Bank collaborates with InstaReM to enhance outbound remittance
- IBBI amends Insolvency & Bankruptcy Board of India, Liquidation Process, Third Amendment, Regulations, 2020
- Foundation stone laid for Indian Institute of Management in Sirmaur, Himachal Pradesh
- Chhattisgarh govt launches scheme for tendu leaves collectors
- Haryana CM Khattar launches welfare schemes for women, kids
- Maharashtra govt announces partnership with Google for introducing digital education tools in schools across state
- Oman India Joint Investment Fund II buys 1.63% in DCB Bank
- LIC acquires close to 5% stake in Yes Bank
- Indian Railways launches an OHE Inspection app
- Telangana launches GRID Policy for IT industry development
- WTF Sports appoints Suresh Raina, Harmanpreet Kaur as global brand ambassadors
- Former J&K Lt Guv Girish Chandra Murmu to be new CAG of India
- PNB Housing Finance appoints Hardayal Prasad as MD and CEO
- Capital India Finance Limited Appoints Former Chairman, NABARD, Dr. Harsh Kumar Bhanwala As Executive Chairman
- Pradeep Kumar Joshi appointed as UPSC chairman
- Ex-BMC chief Praveen Pardeshi to head UN crisis response team
- IICT Scientist to be awarded CRSI Bronze Medal
- Indian Express’ Dipankar Ghose, website PARI chosen for 2020 Prem Bhatia journalism awards
- Yatish Yadav’s new book ‘RAW: A History of India’s Covert Operations’
- BCCI suspends title sponsorship deal with Vivo for upcoming IPL
- Philanthropist Doris Buffet passes away at 92
- Pulitzer Prize-winning novelist Shirley Ann Grau passes away at 91
- Author and activist Sadia Dehlvi passes away at 63