This post is also available in: हिन्दी (Hindi)
Dear Readers, Daily Current Affairs News Updates about the National and International events were listed here. Read Current Affairs Today here and stay updated with current news. Candidates those who are preparing for IBPS/SBI/PO/Clerk exam and all other competitive exams can use this and try the Current Affairs Quiz to test your knowledge level.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: NATIONAL
IIT Bombay Releases Urban Quality of Life Index: Mumbai Bagged the 1 st Place
- IIT-Bombay researchers have come up with an urban quality of life index tailored to the reality of life in India.
- The first time, they have factored in gender parity
- Chennai, it turns out, is the most women-friendly and Patna the least.
- Overall, Mumbai tops the list of 14, followed closely by Delhi, Kolkata and Chennai.
- The study found that Jaipur has the highest crime rate against women, Chennai has the lowest .
About IIT- Bombay
- Established in 1958
- Located in Powai, Mumbai
PM virtually inaugurates construction of Agra Metro project in UP
- Prime Minister NarendraModi is set to inaugurate the phase one of construction of the Agra metro project via videoconferencing on 7 thdec.
- Uttar Pradesh Governor Anandi Ben Patel and Chief Minister Yogi Adityanath marked their virtual presence on the occasion.
- The Agra metro project comprises two corridors with a total length of 29.4 km and will connect major tourist attractions like TajMahal, Agra Fort, Sikandra with railway stations and bus stands.
- The estimated cost of the construction of the project is Rs 8,379.62 crore and it will be completed in five years, an official stated.
- The project will benefit Agra’s population of 26 lakh and also cater to more than 60 lakh tourists who visit the historic city every year. It will provide an environment-friendly mass rapid transit system to Agra.
The ICAR Wins King Bhumibol World Soil Day Award 2020
- The Indian Council of Agricultural Research (ICAR), has bagged the prestigious International King Bhumibol World Soil Day Award conferred by the Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO), Rome.
- The announcement to this effect was made on a virtual function by the FAO on the World Soil Day 5th December 2020 Through Video Conferencing.
- The prestigious global award was conferred to the ICAR for its commitment to raising awareness of the importance of healthy soils.
- The World Soil Day Award was conferred to the ICAR for last year’s World Soil Day celebration, which addressed soil erosion under the motto “Stop soil erosion, save our future”.
- ICAR organised “Soil Health Awareness Week” during 1-7 December 2019 with participation of more than 13 000 people, including scientists, government institutions, officials, students, farmers and the general public, in the social media campaign “SOIL – Our Mother Earth” on 5 December 2019.
- Her Royal Highness, Princess MahaChakriSirindhorn of Thailand, will give the award to the ICAR in an official ceremony that will take place in Bangkok in January 2021.
- Founded: 16 July 1929
- President : Narendra Singh Tomar
- Director : TrilochanMohapatra
PM Modi to share his thoughts in ‘Mann Ki Baat’ programme on Dec 27
- Prime Minister NarendraModi will share his thoughts with the people in the country and abroad in the ‘Mann Ki Baat’ programme on All India Radio at 11 AM on 27th of this month. It will be the 19th edition of Prime Minister’s Mann kiBaat 2.0.
- The programme will be broadcast on the entire network of AIR and Doordarshan and also on AIR News website newsonair.com and newsonair Mobile App. It will also be streamed live on the YouTube channels of AIR, DD News, PMO and Information and Broadcasting Ministry.
- AIR will broadcast the programme in regional languages immediately after the Hindi broadcast. Citizens can share their suggestions and ideas for the upcoming Mann kiBaatprogramme through Namo App, MyGov Forum or through toll free number 1800-11-7800.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: INTERNATIONAL
Invest India wins United Nations Investment Promotion Award for 2020
- United Nations Conference on Trade and Development (UNCTAD) has declared ‘Invest India’ as winner of the 2020 United Nations Investment Promotion Award.
- The award ceremony took place at UNCTAD Headquarters in Geneva on Dec 7.
- The Award recognizes and celebrates the outstanding achievements of the World’s best-practice investment promotion agencies. The evaluation was based on UNCTAD’s assessment of work undertaken by 180 national Investment Promotion Agencies across the world.
- Headquarters – Geneva, Switzerland
- Head – MukhisaKituyi
- Founder – United Nations General Assembly
- Founded – 30 th Dec 1964
Join General Awareness Crash course for IBPS RRB-IBPS PO/Clerk use code NASA to get 30% discount
The Second Cancer Genome Atlas (TCGA) 2020 Conference Inaugurated In New Delhi
- The Minister of Science and Technology Harsh Vardhan held the second TCGA-Cancer Genome Atlas 2020 conference in New Delhi.
- The conference brought together scientists and clinicians from all over the world to jointly establish the Indian Cancer Genome Atlas (ICGA).
- It aims to create an indigenous, open-source and comprehensive database to collect molecular profiles of all prevalent cancers in the Indian population. A variety of molecular mechanisms, including genetic and lifestyle factors, cause cancer, posing major challenges to treatment. Therefore, it is necessary to better understand the underlying factors of the patient.
- This is a landmark Cancer Genomics Program with molecular characteristics of more than 20,000 primary cancers and matched normal samples covering 33 cancer types.
- TCGA is a joint effort of the National Cancer Institute (NCI) and the National Human Genome Research Institute (NHGRI), both of which are part of the National Institutes of Health , U.S. Department of Health and Human Services. It started in 2006.
- Transcriptomics Technologies are the techniques used to study an organism’s transcriptome, the sum of all of its RNA transcripts.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: BANKING AND FINANCE
QRMP Scheme Launched For GST Payers With Turnover Up To Rs 5 Crore
- The government has launched the ‘Quarterly Return filing & Monthly Payment’ scheme for small taxpayers under the Goods and Services Tax system.
- The notifications for the same were issued by the Central Board of Indirect Taxes and Customs (CBIC).
- Taxpayers with an aggregate annual turnover of up to Rs 5 crore in the preceding financial year and have filed their October GSTR-3B (sales) return by Nov. 30, 2020, are eligible for this scheme.
About QRMP Scheme
- The GST Council in its meeting held on Oct. 5, had said that registered person having aggregate turnover up to Rs 5 crore may be allowed to furnish return on quarterly basis along with monthly payment of tax, with effect from Jan. 1, 2021.
- With the launch of the QRMP scheme on Dec. 5, taxpayers up to Rs 5 croreturnover have the option to file their GSTR-1 and GSTR-3B returns quarterly beginning January-March period.
- Taxpayers can make GST payments through challan every month either by self-assessment of monthly liability or 35% of net cash liability of the previous filed GSTR-3B of the quarter. Quarterly GSTR-1 and GSTR-3B can also be filed through an SMS.
- CBIC Chairman: M. Ajit Kumar.
- CBIC Parent Ministry: Ministry of Finance.
- Headquarters : New Delhi
- Founded : 1 st Jan 1964
Punjab National Bank launches LenS-The Lending Solution
- Punjab National Bank launched a tech-based loan management solution called ‘LenS-The Lending Solution’, to speed up and maintain accuracy in online loan processing and sanctioning of credit proposals.
- To standardise the system, process and appraisal formats for loan processing,
- Speed up the process of credit sanctions,
- Auto-generate loan documents, among others.
- This system is envisaged to be implemented in a phased manner for all kinds of loans — MSME, agriculture, retail and other credit.
- Processing and sanction of credit proposals up to ₹10 lakh under the Mudra scheme, including MSME loans (fresh, renewal, enhancement and review) shall be done through LenS with effect from December 1, 2020.
- Headquarters – New Delhi
- CEO – S.S MallikarjunaRao
- Founded – 19 May 1894
CURRENT AFFAIRS: APPOINTMENTS AND RESIGNATIONS
Anil Soni appointed as CEO for WHO Foundation
- World Health Organisation has appointed Indian-origin Anil Soni as the Chief Executive Officer for the WHO Foundation.
- Global health expert Soni will assume his role as its inaugural CEO on January 1 next year.
- WHO Director-General TedrosAdhanomGhebreyesus described Soni as a proven innovator in global health who has spent two decades in service of communities affected by HIV/AIDS and other infectious diseases.
- Headquarters – Switzerland, Geneva
- Founded – 7th April 1948
CURRENT AFFAIRS: SPORTS
Sergio Perez wins Sakhir Grand Prix 2020
- Sergio Perez Mexico-Racing Point-BWT Mercedes , Sergio Perez , won the 2020 Sakhir Grand Prix,, at the Bahrain International Circuit in Sakhir, Bahrain.
- Sergio Perez became the first Mexican victor in F1 since Pedro Rodriguez in 1970, ending a series of races dominated by Mercedes for whom ValtteriBottas finished eighth and George Russell ninth.
- The race was the maiden edition of the Sakhir Grand Prix and sixteenth race of the 2020 Formula One World Championship.
Sri Lanka to host Asia Cup in 2021, Pakistan in 2022:
- PTI, PCB Chief Executive Officer (CEO), Wasim Khan said, “The next Asia Cup will be hosted in Sri Lanka in June and we have got hosting rights now for the 2022 Asia Cup.”
- The tournament which was supposed to take place in Pakistan this year, will now be taking place in Sri Lanka in 2021.
- PCB Chief Executive Officer (CEO), Wasim Khan said, “The next Asia Cup will be hosted in Sri Lanka in June and we have got hosting rights now for the 2022 Asia Cup.”
- Since, it has been pushed to June 2021 in Sri Lanka now, Pakistan automatically gets the 2022 edition hosting rights as compensation.
JehanDaruvala creates history, becomes first Indian to win F2 race at Sakhir
- JehanDaruvala emerged on top in the support race of the season-ending Formula 1 Grand Prix after a thrilling battle against F2 champion Mick Schumacher and Daniel Ticktum.
- The 22-year-old Indian emerged on top in the support race of the season-ending Formula 1 Grand Prix.
- His Japanese teammate, Yuki Tsunoda came second and Britain’s Daniel Ticktum was in a third position
CURRENT AFFAIRS: OBITUARY
Father of fiber optics & Sikh activist Narinder Singh Kapany passes away at 94
- Kapany was the first to transmit images through fiber optics back in 1954 and laid the foundation for high speed internet technology.
- He founded the Optics Technology Incorporation and Kaptron Incorporation in 1960 and 1973 respectively.
- DR Narinder Singh Kapany is among the 10 most renowned Sikhs in the world.
Achievements of Kapany:
- He received ‘The Excellence 2000 Award’ from the USA Pan-Asian American Chamber of Commerce in 1998.
- He was named among the seven “Unsung Heroes” of the 20th century who affected the lives of people all over the world by Fortune in their ‘Businessmen of the Century’ issue of November 22, 1999.
Daily CA Dec 6th and 7th
- The International Civil Aviation Day 2020 will be observed all over the world on December 7.
- International Armed Forces Flag Day Observed on Dec 7
- Asian Development Bank approves $190 million loan to upgrade power distribution system in Bengaluru
- Vice President Venkaiah Naidu has released The Book Titled 40 Years with Abdul Kalam – Untold Stories by scientist A. SivathanuPillai,
- 40 Years with Abdul Kalam book is published by Pentagon Press LLP and Book foreword was written by Pranab Mukherjee, former president of India.
- China unfurls flag on Moon, becomes second country to achieve this feat after America
- Bangladesh Signs Preferential Trade agreement with bhutan to boost bilateral trade between the two countries.
- In this PTA 100 Bangladeshi products will get duty-free access to Bhutan. Meanwhile, 34 Bhutanese products that will get duty-free access to the Bangladeshi market.
- DebendranathSarangi, President Squash Rackets Federation of India, was elected as one of the three vice presidents of the World Squash Federation and its annual general body meeting On Dec 5.
- Andhra Pradesh, Karnataka and Telangana Participated in a 3 day virtual 7 th edition of Water, Sanitation and Hygiene conclave 2020 started in Hyderabad from Dec 2 to Dec 4. With the Theme – of Hygiene Matters
- Serum Institute’s Adar Poonawalla Named As 1 Of 6 Asians Of The Year
- Pixxel, a private satellite-imaging company, will launch its first remote-sensing satellite on the Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO) workhorse rocket Polar Satellite Launch Vehicle (PSLV) in early 2021.
- Joe Biden picks Vivek Murthy as Surgeon General
- Veteran Bengali actor Manu Mukherjee passes away at 90 on Dec 6
- Ravi Patwardhan, veteran Marathi actor, passes away at 84 on Dec 6
- New Zealand all-rounder Corey Anderson retires from international cricket, signs up with MLC in the USA.
- Reserve Bank of India introduces Liquidity Adjustment Facility (LAF) and Marginal Standing Facility (MSF) for Regional Rural Banks (RRBs)
- RTGS To be Made 24X7 from December 14
- Axis Bank and Rupifi launch credit card for MSMEs
- Anita Anand’s The Patient Assassin’ wins PEN Hessell-Tiltman history prize
Daily CA Dec 8th
- IIT Bombay Releases Urban Quality of Life Index Mumbai Bagged the 1 st Place
- Prime Minister NarendraModi is set to inaugurate the phase one of construction of the Agra metro project via video conferencing on 7 thdec.
- The Agra metro project comprises two corridors with a total length of 29.4 km and The estimated cost of the construction of the project is Rs 8,379.62 crore
- The Indian Council of Agricultural Research (ICAR), has bagged the prestigious International King Bhumibol World Soil DayAward conferred by the Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO), Rome.
- PM Modi to share his thoughts in Mann Ki Baatprogramme on Dec 27. It will be the 19th edition of Prime Minister’s Mann kiBaat 2.0.
- Father of fiber optics& Sikh activistNarinder Singh Kapany passes away at 94. He received The Excellence 2000 Award from the USA Pan-Asian American Chamber of Commerce in 1998.
- World Health Organisation has appointed Indian-origin Anil Soni as the Chief Executive Officer for the WHO Foundation.
- The United Nations Conference on Trade and Development (UNCTAD) has declared Invest India as winner of the 2020 United Nations Investment Promotion Award.
- Invest India award ceremony took place at UNCTAD Headquarters in Geneva on Dec 7.
- Sri Lanka to host Asia Cup in 2021, Pakistan in 2022 Stated PCB CEO Wasim Khan
- JehanDaruvala creates history, becomes first Indian to win F2 race at Sakhir
- The government has launched the Quarterly Return filing & Monthly Payment scheme for small taxpayers under the Goods and Services Tax system With Turnover Up To Rs 5 Crore
- Punjab National Bank launched a tech-based loan management solution called LenS-The Lending Solution to speed up and maintain accuracy in online loan processing and sanctioning of credit proposals.