This post is also available in: हिन्दी (Hindi)
Dear Readers, Daily Current Affairs News Updates about the National and International events were listed here. Read Current Affairs Today here and stay updated with current news. Candidates those who are preparing for IBPS/SBI/PO/Clerk exam and all other competitive exams can use this and try Current Affairs Quiz to test your knowledge level.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: DAYS
International Day of the World’s Indigenous Peoples
- The International Day of the World’s Indigenous Peoples is observed on 9 August each year to raise awareness and protect the rights of the world’s indigenous population.
- This event also recognizes the achievements and contributions that indigenous people make to improve world issues such as environmental protection.
- This day is also known as World Tribal Day.
- Theme: COVID-19 and indigenous people resilience.
- Nagasaki day is on August 9, which is observed as the day to remember the people and innocent children who were killed by the atomic bombs dropped by the United States in 1945.
- It commemorates the day when the atomic bomb named “Fat Man” killed more than eighty thousand people in Nagasaki, leaving a great mass of destruction and havoc behind for generations to come.
World Bio-Fuel Day
- Every year 10th August is observed as World Bio-Fuel Day in a bid to create awareness about non fossil-fuels (Green Fuels).
- Ministry of Petroleum & Natural gas has started observing the World Bio fuel Day since 2015 in India.
- The theme for 2020 World Biofuel Day is ‘Biofuels Towards Atmanirbhar Bharat’
CURRENT AFFAIRS: NATIONAL
PM Modi launches week long campaign ‘Gandagi, Bharat Chorho’
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi announced a week long cleanliness campaign ‘Gandagi, Bharat Chorho’ till August 15.
- Every day till August 15 there will be a special swachhata initiatives in urban and rural India to re-enforce the jan andolan for swachhata.
- The Rashtriya Swachhata Kendra will be open to the public from 9th August from 8 AM to 5 PM, in accordance with the prescribed guidelines for social distancing and hygiene.
- No tours will be organised for students in the short term. However, virtual tours of the Rashtriya Swachhata Kendra will also be organised till such time as physical tours are possible.
PM Modi Launches Rs 1 Lakh Crore Finance Facility For Agri-Infrastructure
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi has launched a debt financing facility under the Agriculture Infrastructure Fund with a budget of Rs 1 lakh crore.
- Under this, Farmer Producer Organisation Schemes, self-help groups and agri-entrepreneurs can take loans to build infrastructure for post-harvest management and community farming assets, like cold storage, collection centres and processing units.
- The scheme, already cleared by the cabinet, will be implemented from this month.
- Rs 1,000 crore has already been sanctioned to over 2,280 farmer societies. The assets will help them get more value for their produce, as a proper post-harvest infrastructure will help them reduce wastage and store and sell crops at higher prices.
- The government has also released the next instalment of Rs 2,000 each to 8.5 crore farmers under the PM-Kisan scheme.
- This was the sixth instalment of the scheme, which, launched in 2018, promised to provide direct cash benefit of Rs 6,000 per year to to more than 10 crore farmers. Rs 17,100 crore has been spent on the scheme this time.
Indian Railways committed to integrate with GeM portal
- Indian Railways is committed to integrate with the government e-marketplace (GeM) portal to move all its procurement to the platform.
- Railways buys more than 98 percent of its goods and services in India and moving this purchase to the GeM platform in the next “probably 8-12 months” will help in making the procurement process more transparent, seamless, efficient, and faster.
- The railways’ direct procurement of goods for its operations or its public sector undertakings or production units stood at about Rs 70,000 crore-Rs 75,000 crore.
- The Commerce Ministry launched GeM for public procurement in August 2016 with the objective of creating an open and transparent procurement platform for the government.
- If any supplier or vendor provides bad quality goods, it will be black listed not only on GeM, but throughout the government system.
About Indian Railways
- Headquarters: New Delhi
- Chairman: V K Yadhav
- Minister: Piyush Goyal
Panel set up to fix ceiling rates under duty reimbursement scheme for exporters
- The government has constituted a three-member committee for determination of ceiling rates under a scheme for reimbursement of taxes and duties to exporters.
- The reimbursement of taxes under the Remission of Duties and Taxes on Export Products (RoDTEP) such as duty on power charges, VAT on fuel in transportation, farm sector, captive power generation, mandi tax, stamp duty and central excise duty on fuel used in transportation would make Indian products competitive in global markets.
- According to an order of the Central Board of Indirect Taxes and Customs (CBIC), the committee would be chaired by Secretary (retd) G K Pillai. The other two members are Y G Parande (retd CBIC member) and Gautam Ray (retd chief commissioner of custom and central excise).
- The terms of reference of the committee include interacting with the administrative ministries, export promotion councils, commodity boards, trade bodies and other stakeholders so as to take their views on the ceiling rates under RoDTEP scheme.
- The committee will submit its main report to the government within three months from identification and prioritisation of sectors/items by the government.
India will be self-sufficient in Active Pharmaceutical Ingredients production in next 2 years
- Chemicals and Fertilisers Minister DV Sadananda Gowda has said that in the next couple of years, India will be self-sufficient in the production of Active Pharmaceutical Ingredients and Key Starting materials to reduce import dependency and attain drug security.
- The Minister also informed that 50 new Janaushadhi outlets were opened recently taking the total such outlets to 6500 across 732 districts in the country.
- Three medical device parks and three pharmacy parks being developed at an investment of 13,600 crore rupees.
- Janaushadhi outlets sell quality medicines at 50 to 90 percent less rate than the branded medicines. For example it sells sanitary pad for just one rupee. During the previous year Janaushadhi kendras sold medicines worth 430 crore rupees.
- Minister of Chemicals and Fertilizers: D. V. Sadananda Gowda
- Constituency: Karnataka
Indian Traders Launch ‘China Quit India’ Campaign To Boycott Chinese Goods
- The Confederation of all India Traders launched the ‘China Quit India’ campaign to boycott Chinese goods, while its members held protests across 600 places across the country.
- This is a new dimension to its nationwide campaign “Bhartiya Saamaan-Hamara Abhimaan”.
- The imports from China should be closely monitored and higher customs or anti-dumping duty should be imposed on the goods that are being dumped or are non-essential imports.
- Head Quarters: New Delhi
- Secretary General: Praveen Khandelwal
Defence minister Rajnath Singh to launch Atmanirbhar Bharat Saptah
- Defence minister Rajnath Singh will launch the Atmanirbhar Bharat Saptah. The move is aimed at promoting Prime Minister Narendra Modi’s vision for a self-reliant India with increased local manufacturing.
- Mr Singh announced that India will stop the import of 101 weapons and military platforms like transport aircraft, light combat helicopters, conventional submarines, cruise missiles among others on a staggered basis till 2024.
- The move is meant to give an impetus to domestic defence production. Defence minister stated that the defence ministry is ready for a big push to encourage indigenous defence manufacturing in line with Prime Minister Modi’s clarion call for an Atmanirbhar Bharat.
About Ministry Of Defence:
- Rajnath Singh, Minister of Defence
- Constituency: Lucknow
- Shripad Yesso Naik, Minister of State for Defence
PM Modi inaugurates submarine Optical Fibre Cable connecting Chennai, Port Blair
- The Prime Minister Narendra Modi inaugurated 2300 kilometre submarine optical fibre cable network between Chennai and Andaman and Nicobar Islands. Mr Modi stated this project is Union government’s commitment for Ease of living. Saying this project will boost tourism in the Islands, Prime Minister expressed happiness for completion of the project before deadline.
- Mr Modi stated this is Independence Day gift for Andaman and Nicobar islands people . He stated not only Andaman people will get a big boost but also sea trade will rise exponentially. Mr Modi stated, high speed net in Andaman and Nicobar islands is a big day as the people will get all the benefits of digital India.
- Prime minister emphasised the tourists who will travel to the Islands will also be benefitted by the digital initiative. Information and Technology minister Ravi Shankar Prasad was also present on the occasion.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: INTERNATIONAL
Bangladesh to construct memorial for Indian soldiers martyred in 1971 liberation war
- Bangladesh will construct a memorial for the Indian soldiers martyred during the country’s liberation war in 1971. The memorial will be constructed coinciding with the 50th anniversary of the liberation of Bangladesh, stated the Minister of Liberation War Affairs of Bangladesh AKM Muzammel Haq.
- Liberation War Affairs Minister AKM Muzammel Haq recalled the support of the government and people of India during the Bangladesh liberation war against Pakistan in 1971.
- High Commissioner of India in Bangladesh Riva Ganguly Das had called on the Minister for Liberation War Affairs and discussed issues of mutual interest and the upcoming 50 year anniversary of Liberation War.
- She stated the two countries are working as development partners and a lot of work has been done in the last few years to resolve several long standing issues like land-border issue among others.
- Capital: Dhaka
- Currency: Bangladeshi taka
CURRENT AFFAIRS: BANKING AND FINANCE
CDSL gets nod for e-KYC authentication
- Central Depository Services (India) Ltd, has received approval for local Authentication User Agency (AUA)/e-KYC User Agency (KUA) from UIDAI.
- The CDSL Group’s AUA/KUA, once it goes on stream and the intermediaries register and go live as Sub-KUA, will facilitate intermediaries to offer seamless online account opening using online Aadhaar based eKYC, stated the depository.
- The Aadhaar-based eKYC service coupled with eSign service will facilitate online account opening and will reduce the turnaround time for online KYC and account opening, it further stated.
- In May, markets regulator Sebi had listed eight entities, including CDSL and CDSL Ventures, to undertake e-KYC Aadhaar authentication.
- The entities are required to get registered with UIDAI (Unique Identification Authority of India) as a KYC user agency and allow Sebi registered intermediaries or mutual fund distributors to undertake Aadhaar authentication in respect of their clients for the purpose of KYC, the regulator had stated.
About Central Depository Services:
- Headquarters: Mumbai
- Nehal Vora : Managing Director & CEO
CURRENT AFFAIRS: STATES
Punjab Cricket Association’s new international stadium to be named after Patiala’s last ruler
- The Punjab Cricket Association has decided to name its new stadium in Mullanpur after the last ruler of erstwhile Patiala state, late Maharaja Yadavindra Singh, who played a Test match for India in 1934.
- Mullanpur International Cricket Stadium officially Maharaja Yadavindra Singh International Cricket Stadium is an under construction cricket stadium in New Chandigarh, Mohali district, Punjab.
- He was the father of Punjab Chief Minister Amarinder Singh.
- The PCA has also started the process of renovating the existing IS Bindra Stadium to turn it into an international cricket academy.
- The facilities to be upgraded include grounds, swimming pools, gyms and other infrastructure.
- Capital: Chandigarh
- Chief minister: Amarinder Singh
- Governor: V. P. Singh Badnore
Meghalaya Cabinet approves 50 percent reservation for women in Village Employment Councils
- The Meghalaya cabinet has approved the “Policy on Reservation of seats for Women in Village Employment Councils (VECs)”.
- Meghalaya Government has brought the policy of reserving at least 50 percent of seats for women in the grassroots village-level community institutions (VECs).
- The position of the Secretary of VEC will be reserved for women members in all VECs on a rotational basis. Adult women who are active community workers with leadership qualities shall be eligible.
- The position of Chairperson will be reserved for women in VECs where the posts of Chairperson are not held by the traditional heads; this will also be on a rotation basis.
- The policy aims to create an enabling environment for women to exercise leadership and give them equal opportunities in grassroots governance.
- Village Employment Councils (VEC) emerged as effective development delivery institutions; VEC consists of all male and female head of the households (like Gram Sabha) and is entrusted with the planning and execution of all works under MGNREGA.
- This new policy aims at bringing down the maternal mortality rate by providing impetus to women’s active participation in public health.
- Capital: Shillong
- Chief minister: Conrad Sangma
- Governor: Tathagata Roy
Piyush Goyal, Pralhad Joshi dedicate Railway Museum at Hubballi in Karnataka through video conferencing
- Minister of Railways Piyush Goyal and Minister of Parliamentary Affairs Pralhad Joshi dedicated a Railway Museum at Hubballi in Karnataka through video conferencing. The event was presided over by Minister of State of Railways Suresh Angadi and was attended by other dignitaries and senior officials.
- This Rail Museum is first of its kind in North Karnataka and second in South Western Railway after the historic Rail Museum at Mysuru.
- Mr Joshi stated the museum is most relevant as Hubballi is an important Railway junction historically as well. He stated it will become another prominent tourist destination in the region.
- At Hubballi Museum, the artefacts are broadly arranged in three sections, at two cottages named Malaprabha and Ghataprabha and the outdoor section.
- Other highlights of the Museum are Galaxy of Rolling Stock, Theatre Coach, Suruchi Cafeteria, Toy Train, Memorabilia Shop, Ticket Printing Machine, Model train run and Children’s Activity Room.
- Capital: Bengaluru
- Chief minister: B. S. Yediyurappa
- Governor: Vajubhai Vala
CURRENT AFFAIRS: MOU
Flipkart signs MoU with UP government’s one District, One Product scheme
- E-commerce marketplace Flipkart has signed a memorandum of understanding (MoU) with the One District, One Product (ODOP) scheme of the Uttar Pradesh government to bring artisans, weavers and craftsmen into mainstream business.
- The partnership will enable these under-served communities to showcase their specialised products and crafts to millions of customers across the country.
- The initiative called `Flipkart Samarth` will enable them to break entry barriers by extending time-bound incubation support which includes benefits in the form of on-boarding, free cataloguing, marketing, account management, business insights and warehousing support.
- Flipkart has previously signed an MoU with the Uttar Pradesh Khadi and Village Industries Board to benefit weavers and artisans by introducing khadi fabrics and village industry products on the Flipkart marketplace.
- Capital: Lucknow
- Governor: Anandiben Patel
- Chief minister: Yogi Adityanath
NHAI inks pact with IIT-Delhi to set up centre of excellence for use of AI in decision making
- The National Highways Authority of India (NHAI) has signed a pact with IIT-Delhi to set up a centre of excellence for the use of artificial intelligence in decision making, the government stated.
- The memorandum of understanding (MoU) was signed in the presence of NHAI Chairman Sukhbir Singh Sandhu, IIT-Delhi Director V Ram Gopal Rao and other senior officials.
- NHAI signed an MoU with the Indian Institute of Technology, Delhi, to set up a centre of excellence for use of artificial intelligence (AI) in data-driven decision making and the advance data management system for highways,the Ministry of Road Transport and Highways stated.
- Under the partnership, IIT-Delhi will work with the NHAI to develop advance analytics based on AI, prepare simulation models, enhance data storage and retrieval capacities to further strengthen the NHAI”s capabilities in data-driven decision making.
- The collaboration will be undertaken on the identified thrust areas, such as project management and data management, highway network traffic demand and incident management, highway safety, highway work zone management, and highway pavement management system, the statement stated.
- IIT-Delhi will also give inputs for the NHAI”s data management policy.
- As part of the arrangement, IIT-Delhi will provide space and infrastructural support to house the centre of excellence (CoE), the statement stated.
- It added that an advisory board will be the highest-level committee that will monitor the activities of the collaborative platform, including initiation, continuation of work and approval of joint collaborative projects, and will also suggest mechanisms to achieve the desired objectives.
- Headquarters: New Delhi
- Chairman: Sukhbir Singh Sandhu
CSIR, FSSAI sign MoU for collaborative research on food and nutrition
- An agreement was signed between CSIR and FSSAI for collaborative research and information dissemination in the area of food and nutrition, the Health Ministry stated.
- Health Minister Harsh Vardhan presided a ceremony for the signing of MoU between the Food Safety and Standards Authority of India (FSSAI) under the Ministry of Health and Family Welfare and the Council of Scientific and Industrial Research (CSIR) under the Ministry of Science and Technology, according to an official statement.
- The two organisations will collaborate towards strengthening the quality assurance of laboratory networks across the country aimed at development and validation of methods for reliable reporting on quality and safety of food products, he stated.
- Vardhan highlighted that the country will see a surge in demand for healthy, nutritious, plant-based, local, seasonal and indigenous foods, produced organically.
- He stated the New Food System 2050 will also see an enhanced focus on climate-friendly food production systems, conservation of land and water resources, reduction in food loss and food wastage across the value chain, increase in small scale production units for self-sustaining local economies, use of environment-friendly packaging alternatives, and repurposing of waste, according to the statement issued by the Health Ministry.
- Headquarters: New Delhi
- Chairperson: Rita Teaotia
- Director General: Shekhar C. Mande
- Head Quarters: New Delhi
CURRENT AFFAIRS: APPOINTMENTS AND RESIGNATIONS
JCB India appoints Deepak Shetty as its new deputy CEO and MD
- JCB India now has a new deputy CEO and MD in Deepak Shetty. Deepak is not new to the company and has held various managerial roles in JCB for the last 10 years.
- Prior to becoming the MD of JCB India, Deepak used to be the executive vice president for product support, marketing, sales and business development for South Asia and India. He held this role with JCB for two years. Before this, for four years, Deepak was the managing director of JCB’s global excavator business in the UK. From next year, Deepak will succeed Subir Kumar Chowdhury as the new CEO and MD.
- Vipin Sondhi, the former CEO is now heading Ashok Leyland. He has had more than three decades of experience in the auto sector. With JCB India, he has spent close to 13 years. Ashok Leyland says that he will head the company for the next five years. His term will end on December 11, 2024.
- Headquarters: Rocester, England
- Chairman :Anthony Bamford
MHA Sends Senior And Mid-Level IPS Officers To Paramilitary Forces, Some Elevated
- The Ministry of Home Affairs in a series of orders sent several IPS officers to paramilitary forces and other organisations on deputation.
- CBI Joint Director Amrit Mohan Prasad has been appointed as Additional Director General (ADG) in ITBP; Arvind Deep a UT cadre officer has been appointed as ADG in Central Industrial Security Force (CISF) from Delhi Police.
- Ayush Mani Tiwari, a 1997 batch IPS officer, has been sent to Border Security Force (BSF) from Bureau of Civil Aviation Security.
- PS Ranpise, IPS of Odisha cadre, has been sent on deputation to the Central Reserve Police Force (CRPF).
- Some officers have been elevated to senior vacant posts. Sonal V Mishra working as Deputy Inspector General (DIG) in CRPF has been appointed as Inspector General (IG) in CRPF. Prateek Mohanty 2000 batch IPS officer has also elevated to IG in CISF.
- Dayal Gangwar, an Odisha cadre IPS officer, will hold the post of IG in CISF which is deployed on the Delhi Metro, almost all airports and other important establishments.
- Jitender Rana, a 2005 batch IPS officer, will join the CISF as DIG. He was working as senior-commandment in CISF.
About Ministry of Home Affairs:
- Amit Shah, Minister of Home Affairs
- Constituency: Gujarat
- Kishan Reddy, Minister of State for Home Affairs
- Nityanand Rai, Minister of State for Home Affairs
CURRENT AFFAIRS: APPS AND PORTALS
Delhi Airport Develops Air Suvidha Online Portal For International Passengers
- The Delhi airport has developed an online portal Air Suvidha that will allow international passengers to fill a mandatory self-declaration form.
- Eligible passengers can apply for exemption from compulsory institutional quarantine for coronavirus.
- A total of five categories of passengers can get exemption from the mandatory seven-day institutional quarantine.
- These five categories include pregnant women, those who have had bereavement in their families, people suffering from serious illnesses, parents accompanying children below 10 and those who have COVID-negative certificate from test done 96 hours before the journey.
- Passengers seeking exemption under the five specific categories will need to fill the e-form available on newdelhiairport.in. They will have to submit it along with supporting documents, including a copy of their passports, at least 72 hours before boarding their flights.
- The online forms have been developed in collaboration with various state governments, Ministry of Civil Aviation, Ministry of Health and Family Welfare and Ministry of External Affairs.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: AWARDS AND HONORS
Jamia students’ crop prediction software wins Rs 1 lakh at Smart India Hackathon 2020
- A team of six students from Jamia Millia Islamia (JMI) under the name ‘Monks’ won Software Edition in problem statement NS275.
- The students from the faculty of engineering and technology won a cash prize of Rs 1 lakh as well.
- The team had built a software system that could predict crop production for the next year and could help the government to plan their policies by anticipating problems of low rainfall and flood, even before they happen.
- The team was given a problem statement by the Bihar government as it faces flood problem almost every year and the students solved it within 36 hours.
- The team from Jamia was working under the guidance of Prof Tanvir Ahmad. The students were Gaurav Chaudhary (team leader), Pranav Gautam, Neetesh Kaushik, Lakshya Chaudhary, Ashish Singh, and Nashrah Naseem.
Nitin Sethi bags ACJ investigative Journalism award
- Nitin Sethi of The Huffington Post India and Shiv Sahay Singh of The Hindu bagged the prestigious Asian College of Journalism’s Award for Investigative Journalism and the P. Narayana Kumar Memorial Award for Social Impact Journalism, respectively.
- While Sethi won the award for his six-part series titled ‘Paisa Politics’ on electoral bonds, Singh’s story titled ‘Death by digital exclusion: On faculty, public distribution system in Jharkhand’ earned him the inaugural version of the social impact journalism award.
- ‘Both awards comprise trophies and citations, while the Investigative Journalism Award winner receives INR 200,000/- in prize money and the Social Impact Award winner receives INR 100,000/-. The awards were presented to the winners by the Chief Guest Dr Soumya Swaminathan, Chief Scientist of the World Health Organisation, at the Inauguration of the Class of 2021,’ ACJ stated.
- Efforts of two other journalists — Jeff Joseph Paul Kadicheeni’s work ‘Kerala’s Contentious Quarries’ published in The Lede and Rohini Mohan’s work ‘Worse than a death sentence: Inside Assam’s sham trials that could strip millions of citizenship’ that was published in Scroll.in — have been awarded special mentions by the jury.
Rockefeller Foundation picks Naandi Foundation for Food Vision 2050 prize of $200,000
- US-based Rockefeller Foundation has selected Naandi Foundation, a Hyderabad based non-profit organisation, as one of the top 10 ‘Visionaries’ in the world for the Food Vision 2050 Prize.
- The award, which was announced in New York, carries a cash prize of $200,000.
- The Rockefeller Foundation award recognised the application of the Arakunomics model in the regions of Araku, Wardha and New Delhi, Naandi stated.
- This model leads to the Food Vision 2050 that follows an ‘ABCDEFGH’ framework — Agriculture, Biology, Compost, Decentralised decision-making, Entrepreneurs, Families, Global Markets, and ‘Headstands’, or turning current approaches on their head.
- Naandi competed with over 1300 entries in a two-level contest that was spread over almost a year.
- Rockefeller Foundation will release $1,50,000 and the balance $50,000 after a three-month accelerator programme.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: RANKING
Mukesh Ambani Now World’s 4th Richest Person: Report
- Reliance Industries’ chairman, Mukesh Ambani, is now the fourth richest person in the world, according to news agency Bloomberg. With a total net worth of $80.6 billion, Mukesh Ambani was ranked fourth in the Bloomberg Billionaires Index. Mr Ambani was behind Amazon founder and CEO Jeff Bezos (whose net worth was at $187 billion), Microsoft co-founder Bill Gates ($121 billion) and Facebook co-founder and CEO Mark Zuckerberg ($102 billion), according to the Bloomberg Billionaires Index, which is a daily ranking of the world’s richest people.
- According to Bloomberg, Mr Ambani’s net worth increased by $326 million to reach $80.6 billion as of August 8, and his total net worth was up $22 billion so far this year.
- The market capitalisation – or market value – of his Reliance Industries, the country’s most valuable company, stood at Rs 13.61 lakh crore at the end of trade.(These Are India’s Most Valuable Companies)
CURRENT AFFAIRS: SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY
Duke University Scientists develop low-cost method to test mask effectiveness against viral droplets
- Duke University in the US, have developed a simple method to visualise how effectively different types of masks prevent the spread of droplets that could contain novel coronavirus particles, an advance which could aid small scale mask producers to optimise designs, and help community outreach organisations demonstrate proper mask fitting procedures.
- A cell phone camera recorded the droplets and a simple computer algorithm counted them.
- They suggested based on the findings that N95 masks without valves blocked droplet spread best, and surgical or polypropylene masks and handmade cotton face coverings were also effective.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: MERGERS AND ACQUISITIONS
IndusInd Bank acquires 7.82% stake in Eveready by invoking pledged shares
- Private sector IndusInd Bank has acquired 7.82 per cent stake in battery maker Eveready Industries by invoking pledged shares following loan default.
- The bank also informed about acquiring 7.5 per cent (78,32,253 shares) in tea firm McLeod Russel India Ltd by invoking pledged shares following default by the borrower.
- The equity shares of Eveready Industries India Ltd. held by Williamson Magor and Co. Ltd were pledged with the bank for securing the outstanding dues of Seajuli Developers & Finance Limited (Seajuli), the borrower company. The bank has invoked the pledge held on aforesaid shares for recovery of its dues from Seajuli.
About IndusInd Bank
- CEO: Sumant Kathpalia
- Headquarters: Pune
CURRENT AFFAIRS: SPORTS
India to host 2021 ICC Men’s T20 World Cup; Women’s ODI World Cup postponed to 2022
- India were retained as hosts for the ICC T20 World Cup 2021, while Australia will host the 2022 edition of the same event.
- Additionally, the Women’s 50-over World Cup, which was scheduled to between 6 February and 7 March next year, has also been postponed to 2022.
- The decision was taken during the virtual ICC meeting which was attended by top officials from BCCI and Cricket Australia.
- ICC T20 World Cup 2020, which was to be hosted by Australia, was postponed amid the coronavirus pandemic.
- 13th edition of the Indian Premier League (IPL) from 19 September to 10 November in the United Arab Emirates (UAE) this year.
- Australia will now host the 2022 edition instead of this year. India, meanwhile, remain the host nation for 2023 men’s ODI World Cup.
- CEO: Manu Sawhney
- Headquarters: Dubai, United Arab Emirates
CURRENT AFFAIRS: OBITUARY
Former India and Mohun Bagan footballer Manitombi Singh passes away
- Former India defender and Mohun Bagan captain Manitombi Singh passed away at the age of 39.
- Manitombi was a key member of the Stephen Constantine-coached India Under-23 side that lifted the LG Cup in 2003 by defeating Vietnam 3-2 in Ho Chi Minh City.
- Manitombi also represented India in the 2002 Busan Asian Games.
- He was last seen playing for Manipur State League defending champions Anouba Imagi Mangal in the 2015-16 season before becoming their head coach.
Congress leader Nandi Yellaiah passes away
- Senior Congress leader and eight-time MP Nandi Yellaiah passed away due to brief illness after being detected positive for Covid-19. He was 78.
- A prominent Dalit leader of the Congress party, Yellaiah was vice-president of the Telangana Pradesh Congress Committee(TPCC).
- He was also nominated to the Rajya Sabha twice and was a member of the Legislative Council for some time.
DAILY CA 8th AUG
- Quit India Movement Day observed on August 08
- Ministry of Jal Shakti launches new version of India Water Resources Information System
- UNESCO recognises two Odisha villages as Tsunami Ready
- BHEL begins civil works at 660-MW Sagardighi power plant in West Bengal
- Delhi government launches electric vehicle policy, announces incentives of up to ₹5 lakh
- EXIM Bank extends USD 250 mn line of credit to Mozambique
- Equitas SFB appointed as official retail banking partner for Chennai Super Kings
- SAI launches Khelo India Mobile App online training program for principals, PE Teachers
- Union Textiles Minister Smriti Irani launches app for weavers on National Handloom Day
- DC Rajouri launches ‘Awaz-e Rajouri’ mobile app
- Mahinda Rajapaksa-led SLPP registers victory in Sri Lanka’s parliamentary polls
- Pune Institute Wins Smart India Hackathon 2020
- Chingari wins AtmaNirbhar Bharat App Innovation Challenge’s social category
- Mukund Lath, prominent cultural historian and exponent of Mewati gharana, passes away at 82
- Veteran CPM leader Shyamal Chakraborty dies of Covid-19
DAILY CA 9th & 10th AUG
- International Day of the World’s Indigenous Peoples-9th aug
- Nagasaki Day- 9th aug
- World Bio-Fuel Day- 10th aug
- PM Modi launches week long campaign ‘Gandagi, Bharat Chorho’
- PM Modi Launches Rs 1 Lakh Crore Finance Facility For Agri-Infrastructure
- Indian Railways committed to integrate with GeM portal
- Panel set up to fix ceiling rates under duty reimbursement scheme for exporters
- India will be self-sufficient in Active Pharmaceutical Ingredients production in next 2 years
- Indian Traders Launch ‘China Quit India’ Campaign To Boycott Chinese Goods
- Defence minister Rajnath Singh to launch Atmanirbhar Bharat Saptah
- PM Modi inaugurates submarine Optical Fibre Cable connecting Chennai, Port Blair
- Bangladesh to construct memorial for Indian soldiers martyred in 1971 liberation war
- CDSL gets nod for e-KYC authentication
- Punjab Cricket Association’s new international stadium to be named after Patiala’s last ruler
- Meghalaya Cabinet approves 50 percent reservation for women in Village Employment Councils
- Piyush Goyal, Pralhad Joshi dedicate Railway Museum at Hubballi in Karnataka through video conferencing
- Flipkart signs MoU with UP government’s one District, One Product scheme
- NHAI inks pact with IIT-Delhi to set up centre of excellence for use of AI in decision making
- CSIR, FSSAI sign MoU for collaborative research on food and nutrition
- JCB India appoints Deepak Shetty as its new deputy CEO and MD
- MHA Sends Senior And Mid-Level IPS Officers To Paramilitary Forces, Some Elevated
- Delhi Airport Develops Air Suvidha Online Portal For International Passengers
- Jamia students’ crop prediction software wins Rs 1 lakh at Smart India Hackathon 2020
- Nitin Sethi bags ACJ investigative Journalism award
- Rockefeller Foundation picks Naandi Foundation for Food Vision 2050 prize of $200,000
- Mukesh Ambani Now World’s 4th Richest Person: Report
- Duke University Scientists develop low-cost method to test mask effectiveness against viral droplets
- IndusInd Bank acquires 7.82% stake in Eveready by invoking pledged shares
- India to host 2021 ICC Men’s T20 World Cup; Women’s ODI World Cup postponed to 2022
- Former India and Mohun Bagan footballer Manitombi Singh passes away
- Congress leader Nandi Yellaiah passes away