This post is also available in: हिन्दी (Hindi)
Dear Readers, Daily Current Affairs News Updates about the National and International events were listed here. Read Current Affairs Today here and stay updated with current news. Candidates those who are preparing for IBPS/SBI/PO/Clerk exam and all other competitive exams can use this and try Current Affairs Quiz to test your knowledge level.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: DAYS
World Post Day
- World Post Day is celebrated on October 9 every year to mark the anniversary of the establishment of the Universal Postal Union (UPU) which was started in 1874 in Switzerland.
- The day aims to spread awareness about the Post’s role in the everyday lives of people and businesses and its contribution to global social and economic development.
World Egg Day
- World Egg Day celebrated on second Friday in October every year.
- This year is celebrated on October 9.
- The day is celebrated in order to raise awareness about the benefits of eggs and their importance in human nutrition. The day was established at IEC Vienna in 1996 conference.
National Postal week
- India Post commenced celebration of the National Postal Week from Oct 09 to Oct 15 , starting with World Post Day which is celebrated each year on 9thOctober, the anniversary of the establishment of the Universal Postal Union (UPU) in 1874 in Berne.
|9th October 2020||Friday||World Post Day|
|10th October 2020||Saturday||Banking Day|
|12th October 2020||Monday||PLI Day|
|13th October 2020||Tuesday||Philately Day|
|14th October 2020||Wednesday||Business Development Day|
|15th October 2020||Thursday||Mails Day|
National Postal Day
- National Postal Day is celebrated in India on 10 October every year.
- The day is observed to commemorate the role played by the Indian postal department for the past 150 years.
About India Post
- Headquarters: New Delhi
World Mental Health Day
- World Mental Health Day is observed on 10 October every year, with the overall objective of raising awareness of mental health issues around the world and mobilizing efforts in support of mental health.
- According to World Federation for Mental Health (WFMH) the theme for World Mental Health Day 2020 is ‘Mental Health for All: Greater Investment – Greater Access’.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: INTERNATIONAL
World Economic Forum shifts annual meeting 2021 from Davos to Lucerne
- The World Economic Forum (WEF) will hold its Annual Meeting 2021 in Lucerne-Burgenstock, Switzerland, from May 18 to 21.
- It was postponed due to the Covid-19 pandemic.
- 2021 Davos summit, themed as “The Great Reset”.
- The meeting will focus on the solutions required to address the world’s most pressing challenges.
- The WEF aims to be back in Davos for 2022.
- Headquarters: Cologny, Switzerland
- President: Borge Brende
Argentina becomes 1st nation to approve genetically modified wheat
- Argentina has approved HB4 drought–resistant GMO wheat by biotechnology firm Bioceres, making it the first country in the world to approve a strain of GMO wheat.
- It will only begin marketing HB4 once it’s approved for importation by Brazil.
- The HB4 technology provides seeds that are more tolerant to drought and helps minimize production losses.
- Capital: Buenos Aires
- Currency: Argentina Peso
- President: Alberto Fernández
Join General Awareness Crash course for IBPS RRB-IBPS PO/Clerk use code NASA to get 30% discount
CURRENT AFFAIRS: NATIONAL
Dr Harsh Vardhan Inaugurates DBT-BIRAC Clean Tech Demo Park In Delhi
- Union Minister for Science and Technology Dr Harsh Vardhan inaugurated the “DBT-BIRAC Clean Tech Demo Park” at Barapullah drain site, New Delhi in a virtual event.
- Clean Tech Demo Park at Barapullah drain site is a Department of Biotechnology (DBT) initiative that will demonstrate innovative waste-to-value technologies.
- This Clean Tech Demo Park would be a good attraction not only for Innovators, Investors but also for students and common public for awareness and popularization of clean technological solution for waste management.
- The novel indigenous technologies developed for the treatment of sewage and industrial wastewaters should be promoted and given wide publicity to ensure their commercialization and adoption for achieving Swachh Bharat and Atmanirbhar Bharat goals.
- The DBT-BIRAC Clean Tech Demo Park will be used to demonstrate innovative Waste-to-Value technologies with support from Department of Biotechnology (DBT), the Government of India, and the Biotechnology Industry Research Assistance Council (BIRAC), a DBT PSU.
- This park will be managed by the Clean Energy International Incubation Centre (CEIIC), a public-private-partnership incubator set up jointly by DBT, BIRAC and Tata Power.
- Minister of Science and Technology, Minister of Health and Family Welfare and Minister of Earth Sciences: Harsh Vardhan
- Constituency: Chandni Chowk, New Delhi
CURRENT AFFAIRS: STATES
Uttarakhand CM Trivendra Singh Rawat launches Saur Swarojgar Yojana to generate self-employment for youth, migrants
- Uttarakhand Chief Minister Trivendra Singh Rawat launched the Mukhya Mantri Saur Swarojgar Yojana for self-employment by solar energy farming at the Veer Chandra Singh Garhwali auditorium in
- The Yojana aims at creating self-employment for nearly 10,000 youths in the state.
- The beneficiaries will be allocated solar plants of 25 kilowatts each. 10,000 people will get self-employment under this scheme.
- The installation of solar panels for integrated farming, fruits, vegetables and herbs can be produced on the same land. Seeds of climate-based medicinal and spongy plants will be provided free of cost on the land to be set up.
- The targeted beneficiaries, including the youth and migrants who have returned home after leaving their jobs in various parts of the country due to the COVID-19 pandemic.
- Governor: Baby Rani Maurya
- Capitals: Dehradun (Winter), Gairsain (Summer)
- Chief Minister: Trivendra Singh Rawat
Assam CM launches “Swa-nirbhar Naari: Atmanirbhar Asom” scheme
- Assam Chief Minister Sarbananda Sonowal launched the ‘Swa-nirbhar Naari: Atmanirbhar Asom’ scheme in a bid to empower the economically disadvantaged women of the State at a programme organised by Panchayat & Rural Development Department at Chandrapur in Kamrup (Metro).
- The new scheme aims to create to more than 3.72 lakh sustainable individual and 822 community assets benefitting around 4 lakh families in first phase under MGNREGA with convergence of schemes of various State government departments and missions, including Assam State Rural Livelihood Mission, Agriculture & Horticulture, Fishery, Environment & Forest, Handloom & Textiles, Sericulture, Veterinary & Animal Husbandry, etc.
- He also announced awards to first three best performing panchayats to the tune of Rs 3 lakh, Rs 2 lakh and Rs 1 lakh each.
- Capital: Dispur
- Chief minister: Sarbananda Sonowal
- Governor: Jagdish Mukhi
MCGM, Google collaborate to mark Containment Zones in Mumbai on Google Maps
- The Municipal Corporation of Greater Mumbai (MCGM) and Google have collaborated to mark Containment Zones in the city on the Google Maps.
- The BMC has now provided on Google Maps, information about civic-run hospitals and COVID Care Centres besides marking Containment Zones.
- To view this info, click on “COVID-19 info” on the Google Maps, zoom in the Mumbai Metropolitan Map, the Containment Zones are seen marked in grey colour with labelled COVID-19 containment zones.
- Also after clicking on “COVID-19 info” on Google Maps, if one goes to BMC option, the user is directed to the BMC website stopcoronavirus.mcgm.gov.in, which too provides similar information.
TN & WEF to set up advanced manufacturing hub
- Guidance, a nodal investment promotion and facilitation agency of the State of Tamil Nadu, has partnered with World Economic Forum to establish India’s first advanced manufacturing hub (AMHUB) in the State.
- This will help the State harness opportunities in the sectors of electronics, electric mobility, solar energy and textiles through collaboration with AMHUB.
- AMHUB will help the production ecosystem in Tamil Nadu by identifying and addressing regional opportunities brought by the Fourth Industrial Revolution (4IR), highlighting and amplifying regional success stories globally and engaging directly with other AMHUBs through WEF’s network of AMHUBs to share best practices globally.
- Tamil Nadu will be able to promote sustainable manufacturing by adopting new models of collaboration to scale sustainable solutions in manufacturing that enable Circular Economy transition and accelerate towards a carbon-neutral manufacturing industry.
- The Advanced Manufacturing HUB or AMHUB is one of the 19 platforms designed by the WEF.
About Tamil Nadu
- Capital: Chennai
- Chief minister: Edappadi K. Palaniswami
- Governor: Banwarilal Purohit
Goa becomes first Har Ghar Jal State in country by providing tap water connection to every rural household
- Goa has become the first Har Ghar Jal State in the country by providing tap water connection to every rural household.
- The state has provided tap water connection to two lakh 30 thousand rural households.
- North Goa with one lakh 65 thousand rural households and South Goa with 98 thousand rural households in 191 Gram Panchayats are fully saturated with assured piped water supply through tap connections.
- The State is now planning for a sensor-based service delivery monitoring system to monitor the functionality of water supply.
- Capital: Panaji
- Chief minister: Pramod Sawant
- Governor: Bhagat Singh Koshyari
Delhi govt launches ‘first-of-its kind’ tree transplantation policy
- The Delhi government has launched a “first-of-its kind” tree transplantation policy under which trees won’t be cut for development projects but will be uprooted and placed elsewhere.
- At least 80% of the trees uprooted during a project need to be transplanted and agencies must ensure that 80% of the transplanted trees survive.
- Chief minister: Arvind Kejriwal
- Governor: Anil Baijal
CURRENT AFFAIRS: BANKING AND FINANCE
Axis Bank and Vistara strengthen partnership to launch a co-branded forex card
- Axis Bank, India’s third largest private sector bank, strengthens its partnership with Vistara, India’s finest full-service carrier, as they launch a co-branded forex card – ‘Axis Bank Club Vistara Forex Card’. This is also the first-ever collaboration by a bank and an Indian airline for a co-branded forex card.
- A multicurrency forex card that can load up to 16 currencies.
- Safety of emergency assistance services – Emergency cash, loss of passport assistance through TripAssist and insurance cover of up to Rs. 3.00 lakhs.
- Additional features – Tap&Pay, easy tracking of balance, reload on the go, temporary block and unblock facility.
- Benefit of locked-in exchange rates.
About Axis Bank
- CEO: Amitabh Chaudhry
- Headquarters: Mumbai
- CEO: Leslie Thng
- Headquarters: New Delhi
CURRENT AFFAIRS: APPOINTMENTS AND RESIGNATIONS
Nilesh Shah re-elected as AMFI chairman
- Nilesh Shah, managing director of Kotak Asset Management Company (AMC), has been re-elected as AMFI chairman. Besides, Saurabh Nanavati, who is the chief executive officer of Invesco Asset Management (India) Pvt Ltd, has been re-elected as the vice-chairman of AMFI.
- Shah, who was earlier elected as the chairman for 2019-2020, would continue to hold the office till the conclusion of the next annual general meeting.
About Association of Mutual Funds in India
- CEO: C. V. R. Rajendran
CWG medallist shuttler Chetan Anand named brand ambassador of homegrown brand ‘Transform’
- Commonwealth Games medallist shuttler Chetan Anand was named the brand ambassador of India’s first-ever badminton brand ‘Transform’ which was launched virtually.
- Anand, a former world no.10 and the men’s singles bronze medal winner at the 2006 Melbourne CWG, was roped in as the face of the homegrown equipment brand along with his academy in Hyderabad.
- ‘Transform’ produces racquets, nylon shuttles, shoes and apparels, which have the ability to appeal to the new age badminton players with its design, style and colours.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: AWARDS AND HONORS
Poet Nityananda Nayak to receive Sarala Puraskar
- Noted Odia poet Nityanand Nayak will be conferred the prestigious Sarala Puraskar for his poetry work ‘Setebelaku Nathiba’, published in 2017.
- The poet will be felicitated with a cash award of `5 lakh and a citation.
- Two other eminent personalities from the State – Ranjit Kumar Nag and Shyamsundar Pattanaik – will be felicitated for their contribution to fields of music and art respectively. While Nag will be awarded the Ila Panda Sangeet Samman, Pattanaik would be felicitated with Ila Panda Chitrakala Samman.
- This is the 41st edition of the literary award, which was instituted by Indian Metals Public Charitable Trust (IMPaCT) in 1979. Sarala Puraskar is recognised as the foremost literary award of the State.
World Food Programme Wins Nobel Peace Prize 2020 For Efforts To Combat Hunger
- The Nobel Peace Prize 2020 has been awarded to the World Food Programme (WFP) for its contribution towards achievement of food security.
- The World Food Programme is one of the largest organisations in the world that was founded to combat the worldwide hunger crisis. It is also one of the United Nation’s largest special agencies.
- World Food Programme (WFP) for its efforts to combat hunger, for its contribution to bettering conditions for peace in conflict-affected areas and for acting as a driving force in efforts to prevent the use of hunger as a weapon of war and conflict.
- Headquarters: Rome, Italy
- Founded: 1961
- Heads: Ertharin Cousin, David Beasley
CURRENT AFFAIRS: SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY
IIT Kharagpur designs robotic system to identify diseases plaguing plants
- IIT Kharagpur has designed a robotic system capable of identifying the diseases plaguing plants through camera-captured image analysis.
- The robotic system consists of a tracked vehicle suitable for negotiating rough terrain field, a device mounted on the tracked vehicle capable of holding the camera and pesticide spraying nozzle, a pesticide spraying module, and camera-based vision module.
- The use of such a device instead of manual operation of spraying pesticide will protect the farmers from related probable health hazards.
- The developed robotic system is a battery-driven one and once fully charged, it will be able to perform its duty in the field for about two hours.
- The system has been designed under the project “Development of autonomous multipurpose agricultural robotic platform funded by the Ministry of Electronics and Information Technology and run by Centre for Development of Advanced Computing (C-DAC) Kolkata as the nodal implementing institute along with IIT Kharagpur, BAU Ranchi and KCT Coimbatore.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: DEFENCE
India Test-Fires First Indigenous Anti-Radiation Missile “Rudram”
- India successfully test-fired the “Rudram” Anti-Radiation Missile, developed by Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO), from a Sukhoi-30 fighter aircraft off the east coast.
- The New Generation Anti-Radiation Missile (Rudram-1) which is India’s first indigenous anti-radiation missile developed by DRDO for Indian Air Force was tested successfully at ITR,
- It is integrated on Su-30MKI fighter aircraft. Its range depends on the height at which the fighter jet is flying. It can be launched from a height ranging from 500 metres to 15 km and can hit radiation emitting targets within a range of 250 km.
- It has INS-GPS navigation with Passive Homing Head for the final attack. The RUDRAM hit the radiation target with pinpoint accuracy.
- The missile is a potent weapon for the Indian Air Force for suppression of enemy air defence effectively from large standoff ranges.
- Founded: 1958
- Headquarters: DRDO Bhavan, New Delhi
- Chairman: G Satheesh Kumar Reddy
CURRENT AFFAIRS: OBITUARY
Justice KK Usha, first woman chief justice of Kerala HC from the bar, passes away at 81
- Justice K K Usha, former Chief Justice of the Kerala High Court, passed away. She was 81.
- She served as a judge from 1991 to 2000. And when she was appointed Chief Justice of the Kerala High Court from 2000 to 2001, Justice Usha became the first woman to join the High Court Judiciary from the Bar and became a Chief Justice.
DAILY CA 9th OCT
- World Sight Day-second Thursday of October
- Union Minister Thaawarchand Gehlot inaugurates virtual “International conference on Mental Health: Looking Beyond COVID 19”
- Education Minister Ramesh Pokhriyal ‘Nishank’ virtually inaugurates Gyan Circle Ventures
- Government to launch Ayurveda and Yoga protocols for management of Covid-19
- Finnish Prime Minister Sanna Marin gives country’s top job to a teenager for a day
- RBI keeps key interest rates unchanged
- World Bank projects India’s GDP to contract 9.6% in FY21
- RTGS to be available 24×7 from December
- LIC Housing launches ‘Project RED’ to improve efficiencies
- Meghalaya partners with Israel to set up centre of excellence on high-value vegetables
- Kerala govt sets up welfare board for farmers
- J-K Police organises ‘Jashn-E-Dal’ festival to boost water sports activities, tourism in Valley
- CM Vijay Rupani e-dedicates online e-Sanjeevani OPDs scheme across Gujarat
- AP govt launches Rs.650 crore scheme to distribute kits to school students
- A portal for mental healthcare from October 10
- Amazon ties up with IRCTC for train ticket booking
- Zurich firm signs agreement with UP government Jewar airport
- CII–IGBC partners with Naredco to advance green building movement
- World Trade Organisation To Appoint First Female Head
- Jordan: Bishr Al-Khasawneh named new premier
- Kyrgyzstan: Sadyr Zhaparov Appointed Acting Pm, After Prime Minister Boronov Stepped Down
- Uday Shankar steps down as Star & Disney India chairman
- Myntra names Bhuvan Bam as its first digital brand ambassador
- Piyush Goyal gets additional charge of Consumer Affairs, Food and Public Distribution Ministry
- Nobel Prize in Literature 2020 awarded to American poet Louise Glück
- Forbes India Rich List 2020: Mukesh Ambani remains wealthiest Indian for 13th consecutive year
- Union minister Ram Vilas Paswan passes away
- Former CBI chief Ashwani Kumar passes away
- Mexican Nobel Laureate Mario Molina Passes Away
DAILY CA 10th OCT
- World Post Day is celebrated on October 9 every year
- World Egg Day celebrated on second Friday in October every year
- India Post commenced celebration of the National Postal Week from Oct 09 to Oct 15
- National Postal Day is celebrated in India on 10 October every year
- World Mental Health Day is observed on 10 October every year
- World Economic Forum shifts annual meeting 2021 from Davos to Lucerne
- Argentina becomes 1st nation to approve genetically modified wheat
- Dr Harsh Vardhan Inaugurates DBT-BIRAC Clean Tech Demo Park in Delhi
- Uttarakhand CM Trivendra Singh Rawat launches Saur Swarojgar Yojana to generate self-employment for youth, migrants
- Assam CM launches “Swa-nirbhar Naari: Atmanirbhar Asom” scheme
- MCGM, Google collaborate to mark Containment Zones in Mumbai on Google Maps
- Tamil Nadu & World Economic Forum to set up advanced manufacturing hub
- Goa becomes first Har Ghar Jal State in country by providing tap water connection to every rural household
- Delhi govt launches ‘first-of-its kind’ tree transplantation policy
- Axis Bank and Vistara strengthen partnership to launch a co-branded forex card
- Nilesh Shah re-elected as AMFI chairman
- CWG medallist shuttler Chetan Anand named brand ambassador of homegrown brand ‘Transform’
- Poet Nityananda Nayak to receive Sarala Puraskar
- World Food Programme Wins Nobel Peace Prize 2020 For Efforts To Combat Hunger
- IIT Kharagpur designs robotic system to identify diseases plaguing plants
- India Test-Fires First Indigenous Anti-Radiation Missile “Rudram”
- Justice KK Usha, first woman chief justice of Kerala HC from the bar, passes away