This post is also available in: हिन्दी (Hindi)
Dear Readers, Daily Current Affairs News Updates about the National and International events were listed here. Read Current Affairs Today here and stay updated with current news. Candidates those who are preparing for IBPS/SBI/PO/Clerk exam and all other competitive exams can use this and try Current Affairs Quiz to test your knowledge level.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: DAYS
International Lefthanders Days
- International Left Handers Day is an international day observed annually on August 13 to celebrate the uniqueness and differences of the left handers.
- The day was first observed in 1976 by Dean R. Campbell, founder of the Lefthanders International, Inc.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: NATIONAL
Centre Forms Committee For Procurement, Administration Of COVID-19 Vaccine
- The Centre constituted a committee to consider the logistics, ethical aspects of procurement, and administration of COVID-19 vaccine.
- The committee titled National Expert Group on Vaccine Administration has been formed under the chairmanship of Dr VK Paul, who is member (health) at the NITI Aayog.
- The committee will also consider other issues related to logistics of the vaccine like cold chain, inventory, how to arrange resources to procure vaccine and how to address the equity issues linked to vaccination. This expert group will together discuss with all state governments and vaccine manufacturers.
About NITI Aayog
- Chief Executive Officer (CEO)– Amitabh Kant
- Headquarter– New Delhi
PM Modi launches ‘Transparent Taxation – Honoring the Honest’ platform
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi launched Transparent Taxation – Honoring the Honest’ He stated it will strengthen the efforts of reforming and simplifying India’s tax system. The Prime Minister also unveiled the next phase of direct tax reforms aimed at easing compliance and rewarding honest taxpayers in a bid to rebuild Indian economy.
- Mr Modi stated, effort is to make the tax system seamless, painless and faceless. The Prime Minister stated, amidst all the reforms introduced by the Centre, the number of people who have filed income tax returns has increased by about two-and-a-half crores in the last 6-7 years. He, however, stated , it is also true that in a country of 130 crores and it is still very less.
- Mr Modi emphasised with faceless assessment, the taxpayer is assured of fair, courteous and rational behavior. He stated, the income tax department now has to take care of the taxpayer’s dignity sensitively and the department cannot doubt anyone without any basis.
MoRTH allows sale and registration of electric vehicles without batteries
- The Ministry of Road Transport and Highways (MoRTH) has allowed registration of electric vehicles without pre-fitted batteries. In a letter to Transport Secretaries of all the States and UTs, the ministry has clarified that vehicles without batteries can be sold and registered based on the type approval certificate issued by the test agency.
- Further, that there is no need to specify the make/type or any other details of the battery for the purpose of registration. However, the prototype of the electrical vehicle, and the battery (regular battery or the swappable battery) is required to be type approved by the test agencies specified under Rule 126 of the Central Motor Vehicles Rules, 1989.
- The Government is striving to create an ecosystem to accelerate the uptake of electric mobility in the country. It is time to come together to work Jointly to achieve the broader national agenda to reduce vehicular pollution and oil import bill. This will not only protect the environment and reduce the import bill but also provide opportunities to sun rise industry.
- For the promotion of electrical two wheelers and three wheeler vehicles, there are recommendations brought to the notice of the Ministry to delink the cost of battery (which accounts for 30-40% of the total cost) from the vehicle cost. Vehicles could then also be sold in the market without the battery. This will make the upfront cost of the electrical 2 wheeler (2W) and 3 wheelers (3W) to be lower than ICE 2 and 3W. The battery could be provided separately by the OEM or the energy service provider.
- Minister for Road Transport & Highways, Minister of Shipping and MSME: Nitin Jairam Gadkari
- Constituency: Nagpur, Maharshtra
CURRENT AFFAIRS: INTERNATIONAL
Bangladesh to get largest ever dollar 3.1 billion loan package from Japan
- Japan has signed its largest ever loan package worth dollar 1 billion for Bangladesh. The embassy of Japan stated that the loan under its Official Development Assistance (ODA) will be given for seven projects of Bangladesh under concessional terms.
- The loan will cover the construction of Jamuna railway bridge in parallel to the existing Bangabandhu Bridge, expansion of the Hazrat Shahjalal International Airport, Dhaka Mass Rapid Transit Development Projects and Chattogram-Cox’s Bazar Highway improvement project among the seven projects.
- The loan carries an interest rate of 0.65 percent with a repayment period of 30 years including initial 10 years as grace period.
- Japan has been the single largest bilateral donor for Bangladesh since 2012. The total amount of its aid as Yen Loan has reached USD 22 billion (commitment base).
- Capital: Dhaka
- Currency: Bangladeshi taka
- Capital: Tokyo
- Currency: Japanese yen
CURRENT AFFAIRS: BANKING AND FINANCE
Federal Bank chooses Fiserv to support launch of first independent credit card
- Private sector lender Federal Bank has chosen global provider of payments and financial services technology solutions Fiserv to enable digitisation of the bank’s end-to‑end card issuance and processing cycle, and support the launch of its credit card.
- The bank will also outsource associated operational processes to Fiserv, it stated.
- With a strong retail and remittance business in India, Federal Bank was looking for a flexible and scalable technology and business process outsourcing (BPO) solution to support the launch and subsequent growth of its credit card business, Federal Bank stated.
About Federal Bank:
- Headquarters: Aluva
- CEO: Shyam Srinivasan
- Tagline :Your Perfect Banking Partner
RBI to implement system-based asset classification in urban co-operative banks
- The Reserve Bank of India (RBI) has decided to implement system-based asset classification in urban co-operative banks (UCBs), prescribing a timeline based on their asset size.
- The central bank stated this move is aimed at improving the efficiency, transparency and integrity of the asset classification process.
- System-based asset classification means asset classification (downgrading as well as upgrading) carried out by the core banking solution / computerised systems of the bank in an automated manner on an ongoing basis, based on the relevant RBI instructions/guidelines.
- The RBI stated UCBs having total assets of 2,000 crore or above as on March 31, 2020, have to implement system-based asset classification with effect from June 30, 2021.
- UCBs having total assets of Rs.1,000 crore or above but less than Rs.2,000 crore as on March 31, 2020, and having self-assessed themselves as being under Level III or Level IV in terms of the Comprehensive Cyber Security Framework for UCBs, have to implement system-based asset classification with effect from September 30, 2021.
- UCBs, which meet the aforementioned criteria as at the end of the current or subsequent financial years, have to implement system-based asset classification within a period of six months from the end of the financial year concerned.
- The central bank also encouraged UCBs not meeting the aforementioned criteria to voluntarily implement the system-based asset classification in their own interest.
- Governor: Shaktikanta Das
- Headquarters: Mumbai
CURRENT AFFAIRS: BUSINESS AND ECONOMY
Reliance Foundation to partner W-GDP, USTATED to bridge gender digital divide
- Reliance Foundation, the philanthropic arm of Reliance Industries Ltd, stated it has forged a new partnership with US Agency for International Development and W-GDP to bridge the gender digital divide in India.
- The partnership was announced at a Women’s Global Development and Prosperity (W-GDP) event hosted by Deputy Secretary of State of the United States Stephen Biegun and with special guest, Ivanka Trump, Advisor to the President of the United States, and Deputy USTATED Administrator Bonnie Glick, it stated .
- The W-GDP Women’s Connect Challenge (WCC) supports private sector-led approaches that close the gender digital divide, expands business opportunities, and empowers women. As part of programme, W-GDP will partner with the Reliance Foundation to create an India-specific expression of the WCC and incorporate the lessons of previous W-GDP WCC Rounds.
- In 2016, Reliance launched Jio a tech ecosystem that has ushered in digital life for 1.3 billion Indians and delivered first-hand a pan-India digital revolution that has transformed lives in ways unimaginable before.
- In February 2019, the White House established the Women’s Global Development and Prosperity (W-GDP) Initiative, the first whole-of-government approach to women’s economic empowerment.
- W-GDP seeks to reach 50 million women in the developing world by 2025 by focusing on three pillars women prospering in the workforce, women succeeding as entrepreneurs, and women enabled in the economy.
About Reliance Foundation:
- Location: Mumbai, Maharashtra, India
- Mukesh Ambani, Nita Ambani :chairperson
Dell, NITI Aayog launch 2nd student entrepreneurship programme
- Dell Technologies in association with NITI Aayog’s Atal Innovation Mission (AIM) announced the second Student Entrepreneurship Programme (SEP 2.0) that would mentor eight teams to foray into the world of innovation and entrepreneurship.
- In addition to the learning from SEP 1.0, the virtual SEP 2.0 will help students receive support and guidance to manufacture fully-functional, market-ready products along with patenting their ideas/processes.
- The 10-month SEP 1.0 helped top 6 innovations of the Atal Tinkering Marathon transform their innovative prototypes into functioning, scaled go-to-market products across six crucial themes having broader social impact.
- The SEP 2.0 will allow student innovators to work closely with Dell volunteers and avail mentorship to create a test bed for their innovation and collect customer feedback.
About Dell Technologies:
- Headquarters: Texas, U.S.
- Chairman & CEO: Michael Dell
CURRENT AFFAIRS: STATES
AP CM YS Jagan Launches YSR Cheyutha For Women
- Andhra Pradesh Chief Minister YS Jagan Mohan Reddy launched YSR Cheyutha scheme from his camp office in Tadepalli. Through this scheme, the government will offer financial assistance to all the SC, ST, BC, Minorities women who are aged between 45-60.
- The state government had deposited Rs 18,750 directly into the bank accounts of every beneficiary.
- The YSR Congress party government had allotted Rs 4,700 crore in the budget, for the implementation of YSR Cheyutha scheme.
- Around 25 lakh women will get benefited from this scheme and goverment will implement this scheme over four years at a cost of Rs 17,000 crore. YSRCP is the first government ever to provide ample employment opportunities to women.
- The AP government had earlier signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) with renowned companies like Hindustan Unilever, ITC, Procter and Gamble and Amul for self-empowerment of women.
- These companies provide the technical and marketing support needed to women for becoming an aspiring entrepreneur. They will also provide opportunities for sustainable economic progress. The partnership of these companies will not only provide the women with a livelihood but also boost economic activity at the village level.
- All the eligible women beneficiaries will get a financial assistance of Rs 75,000 for four yearse, Rs 18,750 each beneficiary every year.
- Governor: Biswabhusan Harichandan
- Chief minister: Y. S. Jaganmohan Reddy
- Capital(s): Visakhapatnam (executive), Amaravati (legislative), Kurnool (judicial)
HP govt launches Nutritional Immunity Boosting ‘Him Haldi Dudh’
- Himachal Pradesh state government launched Nutritional Immunity Boosting ‘Him Haldi Dudh(Turmeric Latte)’ manufactured by MILKFED. On this occasion, Chief minister Jairam Thakur also disbursed incentives to the Milk Producers of Mandi, Shimla and Kullu district under the National Programme for Diary Development.
- Him Haldi Dudh has been developed by the Bio Technology Department of Punjabi University Patiala and has been patented. This drink is a Detox drink which has anti-hangover, anti-oxidant, anti-inflammatory and immunity booster contents in it.
- Mr Thakur stated that under the National Diary Development Programme, MILKFED transferred 2000 rupees each to the accounts of 835 milk producers as incentive amount and also 5 litre stainless steel buckets to 1000 mill producers for collection and transportation of milk for marketing.
- He stated that MILKFED has transferred 16.70 lakh rupees into the accounts of the milk producers. He expressed happiness that the annual turnover of the MILKFED was 132 crore rupees in the year 2019-20, which was 33 percent higher than the previous year’s turnover.
About Himachal Pradesh:
- Capital: Shimla, Dharamshala
- Governor: Bandaru Dattatreya
- Chief Minister: Jai Ram Thakur
Assam to launch mega scheme for women’s financial empowerment
- In a bid to financially empower women, the Assam government would provide Rs 830 per month each to 17 lakh poor families under the ambitious “Orunodoi” scheme, Finance and Health Minister Himanta Biswa Sarma announced.
- “The “Orunodoi” would be the biggest scheme in Assam which would initially benefit at least 17 lakh families and the number would subsequently increase to 25 lakh, he added.
- However, Sarma clarified, that while selecting the beneficiaries, there would be economic criteria and “those who have certain movable and immovable assets including land, big houses, vehicles, electronic gadgets, and most government and semi-government employees, would be excluded”.
- A sum of Rs 280 crore has been earmarked for the new scheme.
- “Rs 830 per month aid would mean an additional annual income of Rs 10,000 to the poor households to meet their medical, nutritional, and academic needs besides to meet the additional spending during various festivals,” he stated.
- The minister also stated that under the “Orunodoi” scheme, priority would be given to households with widows, divorced, unmarried or separated women, and disabled persons.
- To avail the benefits of the scheme, the beneficiary should be a permanent resident of Assam and their composite household income should be less than Rs two lakh per annum, Sarma added.
- Capital: Dispur
- Governor: Jagdish Mukhi
- Chief Minister: Sarbananda Sonowal
CURRENT AFFAIRS: MERGERS AND ACQUISITIONS
CCI approves proposed deal pertaining to JV formation between Honda Motor, Hitachi
- CCI has approved a combination proposal filed jointly by Keihin Corporation, Nissin Kogyo Co. Ltd., Showa Corporation and Hitachi Automotive Systems Ltd to form a joint venture between Honda Motor Co Ltd (HAMCL) and Hitachi Ltd.
- The transaction entails HAMCL’s acquisition of additional shares to convert its affiliates Keihin Corporation, Nissin Kogyo and Showa Corporation as its wholly-owned subsidiaries, following which the entities will amalgamate into HIAMS to form the integrated company.
- HIAMS is a wholly-owned subsidiary of Hitachi Ltd.
- The entities will integrate their complementary strengths to provide globally competitive solutions to the automotive and two-wheeled vehicle industry.
- The entities will combine resources and research efforts to create social, economic and environmental value, improve the safety and comfort of mobility, and advance the automotive and motorcycle industry towards the next generation.
- Headquarters: New Delhi
- Chairperson: Ashok Kumar Gupta
CURRENT AFFAIRS: MOU
Delhi MoU signed with IIT-B for smog tower at CP
- The Delhi government has signed an MoU with IIT-Bombay and Tata Projects Limited to construct a smog tower in Connaught Place.
- The smog tower is a 20-metre-high structure fitted with several air purifiers to clean the air.
- The Supreme Court had last month hit out at the Centre and State governments for missing the deadline of April 13 for completing the construction of two smog towers in the city.
- IIT-Bombay will be the technical consultant, NBCC will be the project management consultant and IIT-Delhi will also assist in the project. Drawings will be provided by the University of Minnesota.
- The MoU signed by the Delhi government is similar to the one done by the Central government and the project is expected to cost around 19 crore.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: APPOINTMENTS AND RESIGNATIONS
Former RBI deputy governor S S Mundra appointed as non-executive chairman of Indiabulls Housing
- Indiabulls Housing Finance Ltd stated that former deputy RBI governor Subhash Sheoratan Mundra has been appointed as non-executive chairman of the company with immediate effect.
- Mundra had joined the board of Indiabulls Housing Finance in 2018 as an independent director.
- The appointment comes after Sameer Gehlaut stepped down as the executive chairman of Indiabulls Housing Finance. Gehlaut has taken up the position of chief executive officer of another listed company promoted by him – Indiabulls Ventures Ltd.
About Indiabulls Housing Finance Ltd
- Headquarters: Gurugram
Isher Judge Ahluwalia resigns as ICRIER chairperson after 15-year stint
- Isher Judge Ahluwalia has stepped down as chairperson of think tank Indian Council for Research on International Economic Relations (ICRIER) due to health reasons. She had been in this position for 15 years.
- Pramod Bhasin will now be the new chairman. He is currently the vice chair of the board of governors at ICRIER.
- Isher will continue as chairperson emeritus, a position specially created to honour her exceptional contributions to the Council, a statement by ICRIER stated.
BharatPe appoints Suhail Sameer as Group President
- BharatPe has appointed Suhail Sameer as Group President. Sameer along with CEO & Co-Founder Ashneer Grover will have the overall responsibility for building the organization, merchant network, business, and revenue.
- He is the first Group President at BharatPe and will have all the CXOs report into him. Winner of Economic Times Most Promising Leader of Asia Award, Sameer has extensive experience of working with companies from the Consumer (FMCG, retail) and consumer technology sectors, and with Institutional investors. He has built businesses from scratch, as well as helped turn around and grow existing companies.
- Featured as Business World 40 under 40 in the year 2019, Sameer at RP-Sanjiv Goenka Group, launched and scaled the multi-brand FMCG business for the Group. He also set-up and led their consumer VC fund, RPSG Ventures. Suhail is also the Managing Partner at OTP Venture Partners, which invests in early-stage companies across consumer, consumer tech, and SaaS spaces.
- HQ: New Delhi
- Ashneer Grover – CEO & Co – Founder – BharatPe
CURRENT AFFAIRS: AWARDS AND HONORS
Medal For Excellence in Investigation 2020: List of 121 Police Personnel Receiving Award This Year
- Union Home Minister’s Medals for Excellence in Investigation for 2020 have been awarded to 121 Police personnel, including 21 women police officers.
- Among the personnel receiving these awards, 15 are from the Central Bureau of Investigation, 10 each are from Madhya Pradesh and Maharashtra Police, eight are from Uttar Pradesh Police and seven each are from Kerala and West Bengal Police. The remaining are from the other States and UTs.
- This medal was constituted in 2018 with the objective to promote high professional standards of investigation of crime and to recognise such Excellence in an investigation by investigating officers.
Sudha Murthy, ITC’s Sivakumar bag Gramodaya awards
- Sudha Murty, Chairperson of Infosys Foundation and Sivakumar Surampudi, Group Head of Agri and IT Businesses of ITC Ltd, are among the winners of the Gramodaya Bandhu Mitra Puraskaras.
- Instituted by Gramodaya Chamber of Commerce and Technology (GCOT), a not-for-profit organisation founded by the alumni of Osmania University, the awards recognises “Yeoman service rendered by individuals and institutions to provide succour and uplift the vast majority of our population dependent on agriculture and allied activities for livelihood”. The awards were constituted to mark the 150th birth anniversary of Mahatma Gandhi.
- The other winners include Padma Bhushan Vijay Bhatkar, Padmasri SP Verma, Vilas Shinde (Director, Sahyadri Farms), Koosam Rajamouli, Former Sarpanch of Gangadevipalli in Telangana, Brig Pogula Ganesham, Founder of Palle Srujana, and Govinda Rajulu Chintala, Chairman of the Nabard.
Cristiano Ronaldo wins Juventus’ MVP of the Year award for record 37 goals in single season
- Cristiano Ronaldo was named as Juventus’ ‘Most Valuable Player of the Year’ for the championship that lasted for almost 11 months.
- The Portuguese who ended the 2019-20 season with 37 goals, broke the record for scoring most goals in a single season across competitions.
- The 35-year old who started his Juventus journey in 2018, finished the 2019-20 Serie A season with 31 goals.
- Notably, he is also the fastest player to score 50 goals in Serie A (61 appearances), in the three-point era since 1994/95.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: BOOKS AND AUTHORS
Sharon Stone to Release Memoir ‘The Beauty of Living Twice’
- The actress and human rights activist Sharon Stone’s memoirThe Beauty of Living Twice will be published by Alfred A. Knopf in March 2021, Knopf Publisher Reagan Arthur.
- The book will be released simultaneously as a hardcover, ebook, and audiobook read by Stone herself.
- In The Beauty of Living Twice, Stone writes about various moments in her life including her childhood in Pennsylvania to her rise as in Hollywood and finding her humanitarian efforts.
- Stone will also share frightening details with readers about the day she nearly died from a massive stroke and the impact it had afterward.
- The actress has been honored with a Peace Summit Award at the Nobel Peace Summit, a Harvard Foundation Humanitarian Award, a Human Rights Campaign Humanitarian Award and an Einstein Spirit of Achievement Award.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY
Indian Spacetech Startup Skyroot Aerospace Successfully Test-Fires Rocket Engine
- Aerospace startup Skyroot Aerospace has successfully test fired an upper-stage rocket engine, becoming the first Indian private company to demonstrate the capability to build a homegrown rocket engine.
- The 3-D printed rocket engine – Raman, named after Nobel laureate CV Raman – has fewer moving parts and weighs less than half of conventional rocket engines with a similar capacity.
- The Hyderabad-headquartered firm and Solar Industries, claimed that the engine was capable of multiple restarts, enabling the launch vehicle to insert various satellites into multiple orbits in a single mission. It will conduct more tests of the Raman engine over the next six months.
- Skyroot plans to build a family of rockets. The first rocket, which can hurl satellites of 250-700 kgs into a lower earth orbit, is expected to be launched by end-2021.
- The company has designed in-house software for launch vehicle guidance, navigation, and control functions, and is testing onboard its avionics modules.
About Skyroot Aerospace
- Co-Founders, CEO & CTO– Pawan Kumar Chandana
- Co-Founder & COO– Naga Bharath Daka
- Headquarters– Hyderabad, Telangana
Microwave device ‘Atulya’ to disintegrate novel Coronavirus unveiled by Nitin Gadkari
- A microwave device named ‘Atulya’ that can disinfect any premises in just 30 seconds, disintegrating COVID-19 virus was unveiled by Union Minister for Road Transport and Highways and Micro, Small and Medium Enterprises Nitin Gadkari in Nagpur.
- Certified by the Defence Research and Development Organization (DRDO) and based on French and American standards, the device is 100 per cent Made in India and has been manufactured under the aegis of the MSME.
- The ‘Atulya’ microwave like device can be used to disinfect any premises up to five metres area, besides surface areas, home and office furniture, beds, new boxes and even the contents of the boxes. This equipment can be hand handled as its weight is mere three kilograms.
- The device disintegrates the COVID-19 virus with the help of differential heating in the range of 56 to 60 degrees Celsius The positive thing about this device is it is 100 per cent safe for humans and does not emit Ultraviolet rays for disinfection, that could be harmful to the human body. Depending upon the size and shape of objects, the disinfection time is 30 seconds to one minute.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: DEFENCE
Two light combat helicopters developed by HAL deployed in Ladakh for high altitude IAF operations
- Amid the prevailing border tension with China in Eastern Ladakh, two Light Combat Helicopters (LCH) developed by the Hindustan Aeronautics Limited (HAL) have been deployed for operations at high altitude in
- The two HAL choppers will support the Indian Air Force (IAF) in its high altitude missions.
- Light Combat Helicopters is a potent weapon platform because of its state-of-the-art systems and highly accurate weapons that are capable of hitting any type of target by day or night.
- The other features of Light Combat Helicopters include its ability to operate in the complete `Area of Responsibility` (AOR) and altitudes. It has capability to carry adequate weapon load at high altitudes under varied conditions. All these characteristics make it most suitable for hot and high altitude operations.
- The IAF and the Indian Army together need around 160 Light Combat Helicopters. The Defence Acquisition Council (DAC) had approved the proposal for an initial batch of 15 Light Combat Helicopters. The IAF had issued a Request for Proposal (RFP) for 15 Limited Series Production (LSP) helicopters (10 for IAF and 5 for Army) and HAL had submitted its response.
- Headquarters: Bengaluru
- Chairman and Managing Director: R Madhavan
DAC approves procurement proposals worth Rs 8,722.38 crore
- To take forward the initiative on ‘Atmanirbhar Bharat’ the Defence Acquisition Council (DAC) in its meeting held under the Chairmanship of Raksha Mantri Shri Rajnath Singh accorded approval for capital acquisitions of various platforms and equipment required by the Indian Armed Forces. Proposals for an approximate cost of Rs 8,722.38 crore were approved.
- Hindustan Aeronautics Limited (HAL) having successfully developed Basic Trainer Aircraft (HTT-40) Prototypes and certification process underway, the DAC approved procurement of 106 Basic Trainer Aircraft from HAL to address the basic training requirements of the Indian Air Force (IAF).
- Post Certification 70 Basic Trainer Aircraft will be initially procured from HAL and balance 36 after operationalisation of HTT-40 fleet in IAF.
- To improve the fire power of Indian Navy, the DAC approved procurement of an upgraded version of Super Rapid Gun Mount (SRGM) which is fitted as the main gun onboard Navy and Indian Coast Guard (ICG) warships from Bharat Heavy Electricals Limited (BHEL).
- The upgraded version of SRGM has enhanced capability to perform against fast manoeuvring targets like missiles and Fast Attack Crafts and increase the maximum engagement range.
- The DAC approved procurement of 125 mm APFSDS (Armour Piercing Fin Stabilized Discarding Sabot) ammunition for Indian Army as a ‘Design and Development Case’. The ammunition being procured will have a 70 per cent indigenous content.
- The DAC also gave approvals that are likely to speed up the procurement of AK 203 and Unmanned Aerial Vehicle upgrades.
- Defence Minister of India: Raj Nath Singh
- Constituency: Lucknow, UP
CURRENT AFFAIRS: RANKING
Akshay Kumar only Bollywood star among Forbes’ highest-paid actors of 2020
- According to Forbes Magazine, Wrestler-turned-movie star Dwayne Johnson clung to the top slot on the list of the world’s highest-paid male actors for a second straight year.
- The Rock, earned $87.5 million from June 1, 2019 to June 1, 2020, including $23.5 million from Netflix Inc to star in movie thriller Red Notice.
- Ryan Reynolds, who co-stars with Johnson in Red Notice, came in second in the Forbes ranking of male stars.
- Actor and producer Mark Wahlberg, star of Netflix action comedy Spenser Confidential, finished third with $58 million.
- Akshay Kumar, the only Bollywood star in the top 10, landed in sixth place with earnings of $48.5 million.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: SPORTS
Madhya Pradesh Women Cricketer Anshula Rao Fails Dope Test
- Madhya Pradesh women cricket team’s Anshula Rao has been provisionally suspended by National Anti-Doping Agency (NADA) after failing a dope test.
- Rao, who is a senior member of the team, tested positive for a prohibited substance, 19 Norandrosterone.
- The report came last month and NADA served the Adverse Analytical Finding (AAF) notice of charge on the athlete, leading to her suspension.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: OBITUARY
Veteran sports journalist GK Menon passes away
- Veteran sports journalist GK Menon passed away. He was 93.
- He worked with the Indian Express and The Times of India and ended his freelance career in the early 1990s.
- Menon played cricket at the club level and also was an active member of the Shivaji Park Gymkhana in Dadar, central Mumbai.
- He was manager of the 1952-53 Bombay University team which won the Rohinton Baria Trophy by beating Delhi in the final at Bengaluru.
Singer and Actor Trini Lopez passes away
- Trini Lopez, the singer whose hits included “If I Had a Hammer” and “Lemon Tree,” has passed away at 83 of complications due to COVID-19.
- After receiving a Grammy nomination in 1963, he went on to star in a variety-show special for NBC and act in 1965’sMarriage on the Rocks and 1967’s The Dirty Dozen.
Viacom CBS head Sumner Redstone passes away at 97
- Media magnate Sumner Redstone who headed Viacom Inc and CBS has passed away at 97. He has been credited with building a media empire and heading many high-profile takeovers during his illustrious career.
- Redstone has been responsible for turning his modest venture, a drive-in movie chain, into a major cinema operator. In the 80s, he is known to have engineered the hostile takeover of Viacom, the CBS Network spinoff which also included MTV.
- The American media magnate also acquired Paramount Pictures, Blockbuster Entertainment and led a merger with CBS.
DAILY CA 12th AUG
- World Lion Day- 10th aug
- National Sons and Daughters Day- 11th aug
- International Youth Day- 12th aug
- World Elephant Day- 12th aug
- Narendra Singh Tomar launches ICAR’s data recovery centre ‘Krishi Megh’
- Education Minister launches Minimum Standards of Architectural Education Regulations, 2020
- Tribal Affairs Ministry develops nine ‘Tribal Freedom Fighters’ Museums
- Jal Shakti Minister launches Swachh Bharat Mission Academy as part of campaign Gandagi Mukt Bharat
- EU to give 1.65 million euro to flood hit people in South Asia
- Mahindra Manulife Mutual Fund launches Arbitrage Yojana
- Razorpay launches payment gateway ‘Button’ to digitise freelancers, NGOs
- RBI announces ‘positive pay’ feature to enhance safety of cheque payments
- IFC to invest $10 mn in Endiya Partners Fund II for product start-ups
- Paytm launches first pocket Android POS device for contactless payments in India
- Mumbai’s Dadar becomes the first city to have female icons on traffic signals
- Gujarat Launches New Scheme To Compensate Farmers For Crop Loss
- Mukti Caravan’, an anti-child trafficking drive launched in Bihar by Kailash Satyarthi’s Foundation
- Rajasthan government, SIDBI to ink MoU for cluster-based development of MSMEs
- PFC signs MoA for construction of Modular Operation Theatres in Siddharthnagar
- BSE signs MoU with Akola-based bullion associations
- PESB Selects Soma Mondal As Next Chairman Of SAIL
- eBikeGO ropes in cricketer Harbhajan Singh as its brand ambassador
- Lebanon PM and entire government resigns after Beirut explosion
- Belarusan President Lukashenko wins sixth term
- Senior IRS Officer Patanjali Jha assumes charge as Principal Chief Commissioner of Income Tax, Mumbai
- Indian umpire KN Ananthapadmanabhan included in ICC’s panel
- Indian Achievers Award 2020 for Healthcare Excellence – Akshat Malik
- “Our Only Home: A Climate Appeal to the World” by Dalai Lama
- ‘Connecting, Communicating, Changing,’ book chronicling 3 years of VP in office released
- IIT Kanpur develops indigenous seed balls BEEG for farmers
- 77 New Butterfly Species Found In Matheran Hill Station Near Mumbai
- Karnataka tops list of states seeking skilled workforce to resume industrial activities
- Famous Urdu poet Rahat Indori passes away
- Tamil Producer V Swaminathan Passes Away Due to COVID-19
DAILY CA 13th AUG
- International Lefthanders Days- 13th aug
- Centre Forms Committee For Procurement, Administration Of COVID-19 Vaccine
- PM Modi launches ‘Transparent Taxation – Honoring the Honest’ platform
- MoRTH allows sale and registration of electric vehicles without batteries
- Bangladesh to get largest ever dollar 3.1 billion loan package from Japan
- Federal Bank chooses Fiserv to support launch of first independent credit card
- RBI to implement system-based asset classification in urban co-operative banks
- Reliance Foundation to partner W-GDP, USTATED to bridge gender digital divide
- Dell, NITI Aayog launch 2nd student entrepreneurship programme
- AP CM YS Jagan Launches YSR Cheyutha For Women
- HP govt launches Nutritional Immunity Boosting ‘Him Haldi Dudh’
- Assam to launch mega scheme for women’s financial empowerment
- CCI approves proposed deal pertaining to JV formation between Honda Motor, Hitachi
- Delhi MoU signed with IIT-B for smog tower at CP
- Former RBI deputy governor S S Mundra appointed as non-executive chairman of Indiabulls Housing
- Isher Judge Ahluwalia resigns as ICRIER chairperson after 15-year stint
- BharatPe appoints Suhail Sameer as Group President
- Medal For Excellence in Investigation 2020: List of 121 Police Personnel Receiving Award This Year
- Sudha Murthy, ITC’s Sivakumar bag Gramodaya awards
- Cristiano Ronaldo wins Juventus’ MVP of the Year award for record 37 goals in single season
- Sharon Stone to Release Memoir ‘The Beauty of Living Twice’
- Indian Spacetech Startup Skyroot Aerospace Successfully Test-Fires Rocket Engine
- Microwave device ‘Atulya’ to disintegrate novel Coronavirus unveiled by Nitin Gadkari
- Two light combat helicopters developed by HAL deployed in Ladakh for high altitude IAF operations
- DAC approves procurement proposals worth Rs 8,722.38 crore
- Akshay Kumar only Bollywood star among Forbes’ highest-paid actors of 2020
- Madhya Pradesh Women Cricketer Anshula Rao Fails Dope Test
- Veteran sports journalist GK Menon passes away
- Singer and Actor Trini Lopez passes away
- ViacomCBS head Sumner Redstone passes away at 97