This post is also available in: हिन्दी (Hindi)
Dear Readers, Daily Current Affairs News Updates about the National and International events were listed here. Read Current Affairs Today here and stay updated with current news. Candidates those who are preparing for IBPS/SBI/PO/Clerk exam and all other competitive exams can use this and try Current Affairs Quiz to test your knowledge level.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: DAYS
Indonesian Independence Day
- Independence Day is a national holiday in Indonesia commemorating the anniversary of the Indonesia’s Proclamation of Independence on 17 August1945.
- It was made a national holiday by then-President Sukarno in 1953.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: NATIONAL
PM launches Project Lion, Project Dolphin
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi announced the launch of Project Lion and Project Dolphin for the conservation of the two endangered species in the country using modern technology.
- Project Lion would involve conservation of the Asiatic Lion, and its landscape.
- The project will entail habitat development by engaging modern technologies in management and addressing the issue of diseases in lion and its associated species through advanced world-class research and veterinary care.
- The project would also address the Human-Wildlife conflict. This would involve local communities living in the vicinity of lion landscape, and would also provide livelihood opportunities.
- Notably, the Asiatic Lion Conservation Project was launched in the NDA’s first term with a budgetary contribution of Rs 97.85 Cr from Central Government.
- Meanwhile, Project Dolphin aims at the conservation and protection of the Dolphins in rivers and oceans of the country.
- It involves conservation of Dolphins and the aquatic habitat through the use of modern technology—specially in enumeration and anti-poaching activities.
- The conservation of Dolphin will also envisage activities which will also help in the mitigation of pollution in rivers and the oceans.
NITI Aayog launches ‘ATL AI Step Up Module’ for students on Independence Day eve
- After a successful launch of a unique initiative to take Artificial Intelligence (AI) to schools through ‘ATL AI Modules’, Atal Innovation Mission, NITI Aayog in collaboration with NASSCOM have launched the ‘ATL AI Step Up Module’ for students on the eve of India’s Independence Day in order to drive AI education and innovation to the next level in schools across the country.
- This module is the next step in bringing AI to Indian classrooms and is a successor to the AI Base module launched in February this year.
- With this new launch, through hands-on projects and activities, the step-up module encourages a deeper understanding of AI which can be applied in the real world.
- President– Debjani Ghosh
- Head quarters– New Delhi
About NITI Aayog:
- CEO– Amitabh Kant
- Head quarters– New Delhi
PM Modi launches National Digital Health Mission; Every Indian to have Health IDs
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi has launched the National Digital Health Mission (NDHM). Every Indian will have an Aadhar like ID card containing all relevant information about his/her medical conditions and treatments and tests.
- Mr Modi stated that the initiative which is completely technology based will revolutionise the health sector in India.
- The vision of National Digital Health Mission is to create a national digital health ecosystem which provides timely and efficient access to inclusive, affordable, and safe healthcare to all citizens.
NTPC develops infrastructure at Rihand project for increased use of fly ash
- To transport fly ash to cement plants located at distance, NTPC Limited has developed infrastructure at Rihand project in Uttar Pradesh, informed the central public sector unit (PSU).
- The development is in line with NTPC’s commitment towards 100 per cent utilisation of fly ash from power plants, stated NTPC.
- As per a statement issued by the PSU under Ministry of Power, the first rake of 59 BOXN type of railway wagons carrying 3450 Metric Tonne (MT) of fly ash was flagged off from NTPC’s Rihand Super Thermal Power station for ACC Cement Manufacturing Plant, situated in Tikaria of Uttar Pradesh.
- NTPC added that the effort marks the beginning of a new era for the transportation of fly ash from a remote location to a consumption centre.
- According to the PSU, the move will enable power plants for upgrading the utilisation of fly ash with the availability of additional material loading avenues for Indian Railways and accessibility of fly ash to the cement plants in an environment-friendly manner at a competitive price.
- During the financial year 2019-20, almost 44.33 million tonnes of fly ash was utilised for various productive purposes, being 73.31 per cent of the ash generated.
- Headquarters: New Delhi
- Chairman & MD: Gurdeep Singh
CURRENT AFFAIRS: INTERNATIONAL
EU launches 1-mn-euro project in Maharashtra, Odisha for skilling women in housing sector
- To help drive change towards sustainable housing through empowering women, the European Union has launched a 1-million-euro project in four districts of Maharashtra and Odisha under which it will train 3,000 women in masonry, plumbing and electrical fitting, among others.
- The project is being implemented in Beed and Osmanabad districts of Maharashtra and the Dhenkanal and Jajpur districts 0f Odisha and is aimed at positively impacting two lakh families over the next three years.
- The project aims at targeting 3,000 women-led households in these four districts and is being implemented with the housing-focussed not-for-profit Habitat for Humanity India.
- He stated that despite the construction sector being the second-largest employer and women constituting a significant part of the workforce in the housing sector, they mostly work as unskilled labourers and face discrimination. Magis added that this scheme, called Project Nirmanshree, aims at ending this and making them entrepreneurs and active stakeholders.
- The Union is investing close to 1 million euros in the first phase and will increase the spending depending on the success of this project.
- The overall cost of the project is Rs 7.4 crore, of which 90 per cent or 1 million euro will be funded by the European Union and the remaining 10 per cent will be funded by his agency, Samuel stated.
- The project will also set up 50 social enterprises by supporting women through entrepreneurial trainings and skills
About European Union:
- Capital: Brussels
- President of the Commission: Ursula von der Leyen
One in two youths subject to depression, anxiety, says ILO survey on effects of Covid-19
- Half of the world’s youth population are subject to anxiety or depression-causing circumstances and more than a third are uncertain of their future career prospects due to the Covid-19 pandemic, according to a survey by the International Labour Organization.
- The ILO’s ‘Youth and Covid-19: impacts on jobs, education, rights and mental well-being’ survey found that if urgent action is not taken, youths are at the risk of suffering severe and long-lasting adverse impacts from the pandemic.
- The Covid-19 pandemic has disrupted every aspect of our lives. Even before the onset of the crisis, the social and economic integration of young people was an ongoing challenge. Now, unless urgent action is taken, young people are likely to suffer severe and long-lasting impacts from the pandemic, the report stated.
About International Labour Organization:
- Headquarters: Geneva, Switzerland
- Director-General: Guy Ryder
CURRENT AFFAIRS: BANKING AND FINANCE
Digital Apnayen: PNB launches campaign to encourage digital banking
- State-owned Punjab National Bank launched a campaign to encourage customers to use digital banking channels.
- Under the campaign ‘DIGITAL APNAYEN’, the bank will contribute Rs 5 towards the PM CARES Fund on behalf of each customer conducting the first financial transaction to activate their RuPay Debit card either on point of sale (PoS) or e-commerce platform.
- PNB would continue to play an integral and indispensable part in the country’s journey towards economic progress and urged all employees to help fulfill the dreams of an economically vibrant and inclusive India.
- The contribution of various government schemes, aimed at the financial and digital inclusion of millions of Indians, for making banking services universally accessible to all.
- Headquarters: New Delhi
- CEO: S. S. Mallikarjuna Rao
- Tagline: The Name You can Bank Upon
CURRENT AFFAIRS: BUSINESS AND ECONOMY
NSE, IIM-Bangalore join hands to offer platform for investor education
- The National Stock Exchange (NSE) announced the launch of a digital learning platform for investor education.
- The platform, an online investor education resource centre, has been developed jointly by NSE Investor Protection Fund Trust and IIM Bangalore.
- The platform was launched by Sebi”s executive director Nagendraa Parakh, in a virtual function.
- NSE stated the Platform for investor education (PIE) imparts investor education in simple easy-to-understand video, audio, and other digital media formats.
- The platform has four learning modules each comprising number of videos, audios, podcasts, deep-dives and blog posts presenting the content using the latest animation and data visualization technology to actively engage different cohorts of potential investors, it added.
- One of the unique aspects of the platform is involvement of top notch experts in the field and experienced faculty making the offering relevant to the entire spectrum of investors from first-time investors to experienced investors.
- An option is made available to the user to access the audio content in multiple languages to cater to a larger set of audience, it added.
- Managing Director & Chief Executive Officer – Mr. Vikram Limaye
- Headquarters – Mumbai.
Universal Sompo General Insurance and BSE EBIX join hands
- Universal Sompo General Insurance Company Ltd, a joint venture between Indian Bank, Indian Overseas Bank, Karnataka Bank, Dabur Investment Corp and Sompo Japan Insurance Inc, announced its alliance with BSE Ebix Insurance Broking Private Limited (BSE Ebix), a joint venture between BSE (Bombay Stock Exchange), the first stock exchange of Asia and Ebix Fincorp Exchange Pte Ltd to sell General Insurance products using strong distribution network of BSE Ebix in a completely digitized environment.
- The partnership has been initiated with the offering of Universal Sompo’s recently launched Corona Kavach cover which is a short-term policy to cover COVID-19 related hospitalization expenses through certified Point of Sales Persons (PoSPs) of BSE Ebix. Presently BSE Ebix has more than 7,200 registered PoSPs, and is growing daily.
- The strategic association between Universal Sompo General Insurance and BSE EBIX will enable more people to avail insurance plans and protect themselves and their families against the deadly virus.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: STATES
Gwalior-Chambal Expressway to be named after Atal Bihari Vajpayee
- Madhya Pradesh CM Shivraj Singh Chouhan announced that the Gwalior-Chambal Expressway will be named Shri Atal Bihari Vajpayee Chambal Progressway.
- This is the tribute to former prime minister Atal Bihari Vajpayee on his second death anniversary.
- Capital: Bhopal
- Chief minister: Shivraj Singh Chouhan
- Governor: Anandiben Patel
CM Pema Khandu launches Arunachal Pradesh Challenge Entrepreneurship Programme on Independence Day
- The Chief Minister launched the Arunachal Pradesh Challenge Entrepreneurship Programme (APEDP) and unveiled the ‘Arunachal Pradesh Entrepreneurship Challenge (APEC)’ as the first part of the APEDP.
- The initiative envisions a self-reliant society and a sustainable economy in Arunachal by encouraging aspiring entrepreneurs and strengthening their business know-how to help them scale new heights.
- One major goal of the programme is to inspire the youths of Arunachal to become job givers, rather than being job seekers, and, in the process, create livelihood opportunities for a thousand others in the state.
- The APEDP will be rolled out in four stages: the APEC, pre-incubation, incubation, and livelihood accelerator. The challenge is the first step in identifying, promoting, supporting and nurturing sustainable and locally relevant business ideas and entrepreneurs.
- Following a thorough evaluation and screening of the applications, 50 top entrepreneurs will be selected for the incubation and pre-incubation programmes facilitated by the IIMCIP. The top 10 entrepreneurs will be awarded upto Rs 5 lakhs, and the next 40 entrepreneurs will be awarded upto Rs 4 lakhs.
About Arunachal Pradesh:
- Capital: Itanagar
- Governor: D. Mishra
- Chief Minister:Pema Khandu
Indian Railways constructing world’s tallest pier bridge across river Ijai in Manipur
- Indian Railways is constructing the world’s tallest pier bridge in Manipur. The bridge which is being constructed across river Ijai near Noney is an engineering marvel because the tallest pier height will be 141 meter.
- It will surpass the existing record of 139 meter of Mala – Rijeka viaduct, Montenegro in Europe. The Manipur bridge is located at the hilly terrain of Marangching village in Noney district, about 65 km west of Imphal. The total estimated cost of the bridge is 280 crore rupees, and it will be completed by March 2022.
- The bridge is a part of Jiribam-Tupul-Imphal new BG line project. The total length of the bridge will be 703 meter. The piers of the bridge are constructed using hydraulic augers, the tall piers needed specially designed “slip-form technique” to ensure efficient and continual construction.
- A North East Frontier Railway official stated, there are a total of 45 tunnels in the project. The longest is Tunnel No. 12 with a length of 10.280 km. This will be the longest railway tunnel in the North East.
About Indian Railways:
- Headquarters: New Delhi
- Chairman: V K Yadhav
- Minister: Piyush Goyal
- Capital: Imphal
- Governor: Najma Heptulla
- Chief Minister:N. Biren Singh
Nagaland Cm Launches E-Commerce Platform ‘Yellowchain’
- Nagaland Chief Minister Neiphiu Rio launched an e-commerce platform ‘Yellowchain’ during the State level celebration of India’s Independence Day at Secretariat Plaza, Kohima.
- Yellowchain is a single window e-commerce platform developed by Investment & Development Authority of Nagaland (IDAN) to promote local business and entrepreneurship, a DIPR report informed.
- The platform would create opportunity and environment for small time retailers and aspiring entrepreneurs to expand their scope of business opportunities, it stated.
- Described as a “dynamic, user friendly, easy to use interface designed” to create a link between Entrepreneurs, retailers and Service Providers with the Citizens, it stated that Yellowchain aims to provide integrated services on a wide range of economic activities.
- As per the report, any individual or group who are proactive and ready to work can build their own business enterprise through this platform by creating their own virtual supermarket or shopping mall and transact through digital payment with freedom.
- The service sector include as Home service (Baber, Electrician, Plumber, Painter, Carpenter, Water Service etc.), Delivery service, IT Products & Services, Cab & Taxi Service, Health Care & Education, Fast food & Catering, Bakeries & Confectioneries, Grocery Stores, Local Product/Produces, Trainings, Pre-owned Products, Real Estate, Rentals etc.
- CM: Neiphiu Rio
- Governor: RN Ravi
- Capital: Kohima
CURRENT AFFAIRS: APPOINTMENTS AND RESIGNATIONS
Indian Idol Fame Shahzan Mujeeb signed as first ever National Brand Ambassador of Aligarh Municipal Corporation
- Aligarh Municipal Corporation (AMC) has recently roped in Indian Idol Season 11 Finalist and Oscar Nominated Playback Singer Shahzan Mujeeb as its First Ever National Brand Ambassador for Swachh Bharat Abhiyan Campaign at National and International level.
- Shazan apart from being a Finalist on Indian Idol Season 11 is also a Music Composer and Music Director by profession. Recently, his film Gera won the National Award for Best Gujarati Film.
Former RBI governor Urjit Patel in search panel for Monetary Policy Committee members
- Urjit Patel, who in his recent book Overdraft, attributed his rift with the Modi government and resignation as RBI governor before the end of the term to the latter’s soft pedaling on the insolvency code, has been co-opted as a member of the search-cum-selection committee to name the new three government nominees on the all-important Monetary Policy Committee (MPC).
- The panel, headed by Cabinet secretary Rajiv Gauba, also includes RBI governor Shaktikanta Das or a deputy governor representing him, Niti Aayog vice-chairman Rajiv Kumar and economic affairs secretary Tarun Bajaj.
- In September 22, 2016, the Centre had appointed the Indian Statistical Institute professor Chetan Ghate, Delhi School of Economics director Pami Dua and IIM-Ahmedabad professor Ravindra H Dholakia as external members of the MPC, heralding a historical change in monetary policy-making in India. These three will complete their terms in September. The members of the MPC appointed by the Centre can hold office for a period of four years and won’t be eligible for re-appointment.
- The MPC with three members from RBI, including governor, who has a casting vote to break a tie, and three external members appointed by the government, decides on interest rates. The flexible inflation targeting is based on the report of a panel headed by (the then deputy governor) Patel. Patel, who was later appointed as RBI governor in August 2016, prematurely quit from the post on December 10, 2018.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: AWARDS AND HONORS
WHO Chief Scientist Soumya Swaminathan honoured with TN CM’s special award
- Chief Scientist of World Health Organisation, Soumya Swaminathan was conferred with the Tamil Nadu Chief Minister’s special award, in recognition of her advisory role in combating the COVID-19 pandemic in the state.
- Swaminathan received the award from Chief Minister K Palaniswami on the 74th Independence Day celebration at Fort St George.
- The WHO representative has been offering suggestions to the state health department to step up measures in fighting the pandemic.
- Swaminathan has 30 years of experience in clinical care and research and has worked throughout her career to translate her research into impactful programmes.
- Meanwhile, the Chief Minister’s Best Practices award was bagged by the department of treasuries, while the Greater Chennai Corporation received the second prize for conducting fever clinics across the city to break the transmission chain of COVID-19.
- Tamil Nadu Medical Services Corporation received the certificate of appreciation for various steps undertaken to ensure uninterrupted availability of drugs for combating coronavirus.
- Headquarters: Geneva, Switzerland
- Founded: 7 April 1948
- Heads: Tedros Adhanom, Soumya Swaminathan, Jane Ellison
Telangana CM honours poet Tirunagari Ramanujam with Dasaradhi Award for 2020
- Telangana Chief Minister K Chandrashekhar Rao honoured well-known poet Tirunagari Ramanujam with the Dasaradhi Award for 2020.
- The CM also presented him with a memento, shawl and a cash prize of Rs 1,01,116.
- Tirunagari Ramanujam is a great literary personality about whom the entire Telangana society is proud of. Among his well-known works include Bala Veera Sathakam, Aksharadhara, and Tirunagareeyam,.
- Capital: Hyderabad
- Governor: Tamilisai Soundararajan
- Chief minister: K. Chandrashekar Rao
CURRENT AFFAIRS: SUMMITS AND CONFERENCE
India calls for real-time information sharing among BRICS nations to tackle drug menace
- The fourth meeting of the BRICS anti drug working group was held recently. The meeting focused on misuse of darknet and other advanced technologies for drug trafficking. The Working Group comprising Brazil, Russia, China, South Africa and India held fruitful discussions.
- The Indian delegation was led by Rakesh Asthana, Director General, Narcotics Control Bureau. The common points emerged during the discussions include need for real time information sharing among the member states and need to curb increased drug trafficking through maritime routes.
- The growing economic might of BRICS countries, their significance as one of the main driving forces of global economic development, their substantial population and abundant natural resources form the foundation of their influence on the international scene. Among other areas of collaboration, matters pertaining to drug trafficking is an important area of cooperation among the BRICS member states.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: BOOKS AND AUTHORS
Ex-Vice Marshal Subramaniam pens book “Full Spectrum: India’s Wars, 1972-2020”
- Retired Air Vice Marshal Arjun Subramaniam will come out with a comprehensive account of war and conﬂict in contemporary India over the past ﬁve decades next month.
- “Full Spectrum: India’s Wars, 1972-2020” is a sequel to the military historian’s “India’s Wars: A Military History, 1947-1971” Published by HarperCollins India.
- In his new book, Subramaniam covers every major operation that the armed forces have participated in, including the Kargil conﬂict of 1999, insurgencies in the Northeast, terrorism and proxy wars in Jammu and Kashmir, separatist violence in Punjab, the IPKF intervention in Sri Lanka, and the continued stress along the Line of Control and the Line of Actual Control.
‘The Secret’ author Rhonda Byrne’s ‘Greatest Secret’ out in November
- Rhonda Byrne’s “The Greatest Secret” is coming out Nov. 24.
- “The Greatest Secret” takes readers on a journey that provides the most direct way out for those experiencing hardship and the path to end pain and suffering endured by so many.
- Byrne’s new book, like “The Secret,” will be released through publisher Judith Curr. She was head of the Simon & Schuster imprint Atria Books in 2006 when “The Secret” came out, and she is now president and publisher of HarperOne.
‘A Bend in Time’: Pandemic through the eyes of children
- The book, titled “A Bend in Time: Writings by Children on the Covid-19 pandemic“, is a collection of 12 engrossing stories and essays by children and young adults from across the country. Its introduction is written by award-winning children’s author Bijal Vachharajani.
- The contributing authors of the book are: Archita Agrawal, Ishaan Ghosh, Lavanya Sinha, Mira Gupta, Omkar Mantri, Sharvari Sonawani, Shiv Malik, Shivani Sharma, Shreya Aiyer, Sofia Kakar, Tishya Tara and Uk!Yo.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY
Chandrayaan-2 captures image of crater on Moon; ISRO names it after Vikram Sarabhai
- Chandrayaan-2 has captured images of the Moon and one of the craters has been named after Vikram Sarabhai, the father of the Indian space programme.
- Vikram Ambalal Sarabhai’s 100th birth century was observed on 12th of August, 2020.
- The Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO) has sought to pay tribute to him in a special way by announcing that Chandrayaan-2 Orbiter has captured the Moon images of ‘Sarabhai Crater’.
- The Sarabhai Crater is around 250 to 300 kilometres east of the crater where the Apollo 17 and Luna 21 Missions had landed.
- The Sarabhai Crater, captured in 3D images, shows that it has a depth of around 1.7 kilometres taken from its raised rim and the slope of crater walls is between 25 to 35 degrees.
- These findings will help space scientists understand further the process on the lunar region filled with lava.
- Headquarters: Bengaluru
- Founded: 15 August 1969
- Director: Kailasavadivoo Sivan
IIT Kharagpur Launches DEEKSHAK Platform for Organizations to Conduct Online Classes
- IIT Kharagpur has developed an e-classroom software called “DEEKSHAK” for organizations to conduct online classes.
- Researchers at IIT Kharagpur have come up with this software as users are frequently experiencing challenges and more importantly, the operational requirements of an electronic classroom.
- The DEEKSHAK platform by IIT Kharagpur utilizes one-way communication for bandwidth efficiency. Therefore, instead of all students participating in a class as in meeting software, the focus is only on the teacher and the learning materials.
- DEEKSHAK is a low bandwidth web-based software that can be accessed using any computer or even on mobile phones.
- Raja Datta, Department of Electronics and Electrical Communication, Indian Institute of Technology Kharagpur with his postgraduate students developed the software.
Zydus Cadila launches India’s cheapest remdesivir version Remdac
- Zydus Cadila launches the generic version of Remdesivir, under the brand name Remdac, for treating patients suffering from severe symptoms of Covid-19.
- Priced at Rs 2,800 per 100 mg vial, Remdac is the most economical Remdesivir brand as on date. Zydus is the fifth company to launch generic version of Remdesivir
- The company stated the drug will be made available across India through the group’s strong distribution chain reaching out to government and private hospitals treating Covid-19 patients.
About Zydus Cadila Healthcare:
- CEO: Pankaj Patel
- Headquarters: Ahmedabad
CURRENT AFFAIRS: DEFENCE
Anti-drone system developed by DRDO deployed near Red Fort on Independence Day
- An anti-drone system developed by the Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO) was deployed near the Red Fort on the occasion of the 74th Independence Day.
- The DRDO-developed system can detect and jam micro drones up to 3 kilometres and use laser to bring down a target up to 1-2.5 kilometres depending on the wattage of laser weapon.
- It can be an effective counter to increased drone-based activity in the western and northern sectors of the country.
- Headquarters: New Delhi
- Founded: 1958
- Chairman: G Satheeshkumar Reddy
CURRENT AFFAIRS: SPORTS
MS Dhoni announces retirement from international cricket
- Former India captain and two-time World Cup winner, Mahendra Singh Dhoni announced his retirement from international cricket.
- The Chennai Super Kings captain, though, is expected to feature in the upcoming IPL 2020 in the UAE.
- Dhoni had earlier quit Test cricket in 2014 after the Melbourne Test on the tour of Australia and had handed over ODI and T20I captaincy to Virat Kohli in January 2017.
- Dhoni led India through its most successful era and has the 2007 T20 WC, 2011 ODI World Cup, and the 2013 Champions Trophy in his cabinet.
Suresh Raina Announces Retirement From International Cricket
- Indian batsman Suresh Raina has announced his retirement from international cricket.
- The 33-year-old represented India in more than 300 internationals in a career that spanned over 13 years.
- Raina became the first India batsman to score a century in all three formats of the game.
- His final international appearance came in a T20I against England in 2018.
AIFF & SAI join hands to launch E-Pathshala
- All India Football Federation (AIFF) and Sports Authority of India (SAI) joined hands to launch an E-Pathshala, the web platform to recognise the creativity and develop the interest in football.
- E-Pathshala is an Athlete Coaching Program in football for Grassroots and Intermediate. It has been divided into three parts: My Football Culture, My Skills and My Training.
- My Football culture is further divided into five different aspects namely — My drawing, My goal, My Idol, My Creativity and My story. Participants are needed to upload their videos on the website in a particular section.
- My Skills, which is for U-12 age-group, is divided into three difficulty levels — Golden bracket, Silver bracket and Bronze bracket. Participants are free to select a particular bracket and then upload the corresponding videos. which will be assessed by the panellists accordingly.
- Under the My training section, participants are encouraged to upload their individual or a group video shot along with family, friends or neighbours.
- President: Praful Patel
- Headquarters: Dwarka, Delhi
- Founded: 1982
- Headquarters location: New Delhi
- Director General: Sandip Pradhan
CURRENT AFFAIRS: OBITUARY
Former India cricketer Chetan Chauhan passes away due to Covid-19
- Former Test batsman Chetan Chauhan has passed away following complications due to Covid-19. He was 73.
- In an India career from 1969 to 1981, Chauhan played 40 Tests and seven ODIs. He scored 2,084 Test runs with 16 half-centuries, but never scored a century, with a best of 97. The prolific domestic batsman in a two-decade first-class career played Ranji Trophy for Maharashtra and then Delhi.
Robert Trump: brother of president Donald Trump passes away
- Donald Trump’s younger brother, Robert Trump has passed away aged 71.
- Robert Trump began his career on Wall Street working in corporate finance but later joined the family business, managing real estate holdings as a top executive in the Trump Organization.
Renowned Carnatic musician & Veena artist Dr B Siva Kumar passes away
- Noted Carnatic musician and renowned veena vidwan Dr B Siva Kumar, senior veena artist. He was 53. He had been ailing from various health problems for some time.
- A much acclaimed and popular veena artist, Dr Siva Kumar learned the nuances and finer points of music from stalwarts like Shri R Krishnamoorthy, Smt Ranganayaki Rajagopalan and N Ravikiran.
- He has won several awards including the Tamil Iyal Isai Nataka sangam award and the award for Ragam Tanam Pallavi presentation from the Tamil Isai Sangam.
DAILY CA 15th AUG
- Indian Independence Day- 15th aug
- Govt forms 5 members panel to probe into Kozhikode plane crash
- National Health Authority board gives nod to integrate central health schemes with Ayushman Bharat
- Donald Trump announces ‘historic’ peace deal between Israel, UAE
- Standard Chartered & Airtel Africa partner to drive financial inclusion across Africa
- SBI rolls out YONO Krishi review to empower farmers
- Sebi levies penalty of 10 lakh each on LIC, SBI, Bank of Baroda
- RBI Board approves transfer of Rs 57,128 cr as surplus to central govt
- Manipur celebrates Patriots’ day, remembers fallen heroes of Anglo-Manipuri war
- Karnataka CM B S Yediyurappa vows to build a ‘Kalyana Rajya’
- Price Monitoring and Resource Unit set up in Karnataka under the aegis of National Pharmaceutical Pricing Authority
- TN govt forms 12-member panel to study new EIA draft
- Delhi govt inked MoU with Bloomberg Philanthropies to enhance road safety
- India-Nigeria signed MoU on space cooperation
- Sebi appoints G P Garg as Executive Director
- Vice Admiral Dinesh K Tripathi assumes charge as Director General Naval Operations
- Kaushik Khona to replace Vinay Dube as CEO of GoAir
- Michael Cohen book “Disloyal: The True Story of the Former Personal Attorney to President Donald J. Trump”
- IIT Ropar develops UVGI-based room disinfection device ‘UVSAFE’
- “Pavitrapati” Biodegradable Face Mask, Anti-Microbial Body Suit “Aushada Tara” from DIAT
- Indian scientists develop sustainable process for making brick-like structures on the moon
- TERI launches flood and heavy rain warning system for Guwahati, in collaboration with NDMA
- Rajnath Singh launches online portal ‘SRIJAN’ to promote indigenisation in defence production
- Sri Lanka Cricket Felicitates Two Veteran Umpires On Retirement
- Malayalam Film Lyricist Chunakkara Ramankutty passes away at 84
DAILY CA 16th & 17th AUG
- Indonesian Independence Day- 17th august
- PM launches Project Lion, Project Dolphin
- NITI Aayog launches ‘ATL AI Step Up Module’ for students on Independence Day eve
- PM Modi launches National Digital Health Mission; Every Indian to have Health IDs
- NTPC develops infrastructure at Rihand project for increased use of fly ash
- EU launches 1-mn-euro project in Maharashtra, Odisha for skilling women in housing sector
- One in two youths subject to depression, anxiety, says ILO survey on effects of Covid-19
- Digital Apnayen: PNB launches campaign to encourage digital banking
- NSE, IIM-Bangalore join hands to offer platform for investor education
- Universal Sompo General Insurance and BSE EBIX join hands
- Gwalior-Chambal Expressway to be named after Atal Bihari Vajpayee
- CM Pema Khandu launches Arunachal Pradesh Challenge Entrepreneurship Programme on Independence Day
- Indian Railways constructing world’s tallest pier bridge across river Ijai in Manipur
- Nagaland Cm Launches E-Commerce Platform ‘Yellowchain’
- Indian Idol Fame Shahzan Mujeeb signed as first ever National Brand Ambassador of Aligarh Municipal Corporation
- Former RBI governor Urjit Patel in search panel for Monetary Policy Committee members
- WHO Chief Scientist Soumya Swaminathan honoured with TN CM’s special award
- Telangana CM honours poet Tirunagari Ramanujam with Dasaradhi Award for 2020
- India calls for real-time information sharing among BRICS nations to tackle drug menace
- Ex-Vice Marshal Subramaniam pens book “Full Spectrum: India’s Wars, 1972-2020
- ‘The Secret’ author Rhonda Byrne’s ‘Greatest Secret’ out in November
- ‘A Bend in Time’: Pandemic through the eyes of children
- Chandrayaan-2 captures image of crater on Moon; ISRO names it after Vikram Sarabhai
- IIT Kharagpur Launches DEEKSHAK Platform for Organizations to Conduct Online Classes
- Zydus Cadila launches India’s cheapest remdesivir version Remdac
- Anti-drone system developed by DRDO deployed near Red Fort on Independence Day
- MS Dhoni announces retirement from international cricket
- Suresh Raina Announces Retirement From International Cricket
- AIFF & SAI join hands to launch E-Pathshala
- Former India cricketer Chetan Chauhan passes away due to Covid-19
- Robert Trump: brother of president Donald Trump passes away
- Renowned Carnatic musician & Veena artist Dr B Siva Kumar passes away