This post is also available in: हिन्दी (Hindi)
Dear Readers, Daily Current Affairs News Updates about the National and International events were listed here. Read Current Affairs Today here and stay updated with current news. Candidates those who are preparing for IBPS/SBI/PO/Clerk exam and all other competitive exams can use this and try Current Affairs Quiz to test your knowledge level.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: DAYS
Police Commemoration Day
- The Police Commemoration Day is observed every year on October 21
- This day is in memory of the CRPF personnel who died at Hot Springs in Ladakh while fighting Chinese troops on this day in 1959.
Global Iodine Deficiency Disorders Prevention Day
- Global Iodine Deficiency Disorders (IDD) Prevention Dayor World Iodine Deficiency Day is observed every year on 21st October.
- Iodine is an essential micronutrient required for normal thyroid function, growth, and development.
International Stuttering Awareness Day
- International Stuttering Awareness Day is observed annually on October 22.
- Stuttering is a communication disorder in which repetitions or abnormal stoppages of sounds and syllables -break the flow of speech.
- This year’s theme is “Journey of Words – Resilience and Bouncing Back”.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: STATES
Surat now has India’ longest BRTS network
- Gujarat Chief Minister Vijay Rupani e-launched projects worth more than Rs 200 crorein
- The BRTS corridor from Kumbharia to Kadodora was opened.
- With the opening of this BRTS corridor , Surat has become the only city in the country to have the longestBRTS network of 108 km.
- Unveiling the development works of SMC and SUDAthrough video conference from Gandhinagar.
- Capital: Gandhinagar
- Governor: Acharya Devvrat
- Chief minister: Vijay Rupani
Govt partners with FICCI for Make-in-Odisha 2020
- Federation of Indian Chambers of Commerce and Industry (FICCI) has been selected as the national industry partner for the third edition of ‘Make in Odisha’ conclave, the flagship industrial summit of Odisha Government that showcases the State as an industrial power house and a preferred investment destination in the country.
- An MoU was signed between IPICOL and FICCI in presence of Chief Minister Naveen Patnaik for investment promotion and investor outreach activities to be undertaken leading up to the conclave.
- The conclaves in 2016 and 2018 brought in a significant increase in the quantum of new investments to Odisha and helped create a diversified industrial base in the State.
- The State Government has decided to continue investment outreach activities with prospective investors on virtual platforms till the time the situation is ripe for organising the mega industrial carnival in physical form.
- Headquarters location: New Delhi
- President: Sangeetha Reddy
- Capital: Bhubaneswar
- Governor: Ganeshi Lal
- Chief minister: Naveen Patnaik
Meghalaya CM launches ‘micro ATM’ service in rural areas
- Meghalaya Chief Minister Conrad Sangma launched the ‘micro ATM’ service in rural areas of the state.
- He distributed the handheld devices, through which money could be withdrawn, to banking correspondent agents (BCA).
- “The implementation of various development and welfare schemes get delayed due to the absence of basic banking infrastructure”.
- Capital: Shillong
- Governor: Satya Pal Malik
- Chief minister: Conrad Sangma
CURRENT AFFAIRS: APPOINTMENTS
Sushil Kumar Singhal accredited as next High Commissioner of India to Solomon Islands
- Sushil Kumar Singhal, a 2000-batch Indian Foreign Service officer, has been concurrently accredited as the next High Commissioner of India to the Solomon Islands.
- According to an official statement issued by the Ministry of External Affairs, Mr Singhal will be residing in Port Moresby. He is presently serving as the High Commissioner of India to the Independent State of Papua New Guinea.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: BANKING AND FINANCE
IRDAI sets up panel to examine need for standard cyber liability insurance product
- The Insurance Regulatory and Development Authority of India (Irdai) has set up a panel to explore possibility of a basic standard product structure to provide insurance cover for individuals and establishments to manage their cyber risks.
- The panel, headed by P Umesh, Consultant-Liability Insurance, has been asked to study various statutory provisions on information and cybersecurity, and to evaluate critical issues involving legal aspects of transactions in cyber space.
- It will also examine various types of incidents involving cybersecurity in the recent past and possible insurance coverage strategies for those, and the cyber liability insurance covers available in Indian market and in other developed jurisdictions.
- The nine-member panel has been asked to recommend the scope of the cyber liability insurance covers for the present context and for the medium term, and explore possibility of developing standard coverages, exclusions and optional extensions for various categories.
- Headquarters: Hyderabad
- Chairperson: Subhash Chandra Khuntia
Indian Bank launches credit scheme for start-ups in pact with IITMIC
- Public sector lender Indian Bank has introduced an initiative for funding start-ups, ‘IND Spring Board’, in collaboration with the IIT-Madras Incubation Cell (IITMIC).
- The Chennai-headquartered bank seeks to bridge the gap in funding for start-ups through this collaboration with IITMIC.
- Under the deal, IITMIC will refer start-ups with proven technology and established cash flows to the bank and also extend advisory to the bank on the business model. The bank will extend loans of up to ₹50 crore to these start-ups for their working capital requirements or purchase of machinery, equipment.
About Indian Bank
- Headquarters: Chennai
- Tagline: Your Own Bank
- MD and CEO: Padmaja Chunduru
CURRENT AFFAIRS: AWARDS AND HONORS
Managing Director of TRIFED Pravir Krishna bags CEO of the year and visionary leadership award
- Managing Director of TRIFED Pravir Krishna (IAS) has been awarded CEO of the Year and Visionary Leadership Award in the virtual edition of National Awards for Excellence in PSU for Investment in Start-UPS.
- The team of TRIFED Warriors led by Krishna has actually won three awards. The third one is a collective award in the Investment in Start-Ups Category.
- Hosted by the World HRD Congress, the National Awards for Excellence – PSU recognizes the outstanding initiatives taken by government departments, Public Sector Units and industry leaders as they continue playing important roles in realising the country’s vision of a self-reliant economy and Aatmanirbhar Bharat.
- In May this year, Krishna was included in the list of 50 most influential Indians for being the impactful change-maker in the lives of tribals.
Power Grid Director (Operations) Seema Gupta wins Gold Stevie Award 2020
- Director (Operations) of Power Grid Corporation of India Limited (Power Grid) Seema Gupta has been named the winner of the Gold Stevie Award in the Lifetime Achievement – A business category in the 17th annual Stevie Awards for Women in Business.
- The Stevie Awards for Women in Business honour women executives, entrepreneurs, employees, and the companies they run – worldwide.
- The Award would be presented to Gupta during a virtual awards ceremony scheduled on December 9, 2020.
- She has been earlier conferred with ‘Special Commendation Award’ for outstanding women manager in Public sector enterprises by the President of India in 2017 and was adjudged as the Best Contributor at the ITOMS 2018 conference in Malaysia.
About Power Grid
- Headquarters: Gurgaon, India
CURRENT AFFAIRS: SUMMITS AND CONFERENCE
18th meeting of SCO Prosecutors General held via videolink
- India participated in 18th meeting of Prosecutors General of SCOvia video conference.
- The sides inter alia agreed to strengthen cooperation in preventing and combating corruption, mutual legal assistance, exchange of regulatory legal acts.
- Representing India, Solicitor General Tushar Mehta attended the meeting.
- India will host the next meeting of Prosecutors General in 2021.
- SCO is an important regional grouping which gives India an opportunity to engage its extended neighbourhood specially central Asian countries.
- The eight member bloc is holding this year’s SCO Council of Heads of Govt on 30th Nov which will be hosted by India.
6th India International Science Festival to be held in Virtual format from 22nd to 25th December, 2020
- The 6th edition of India International Science Festival (IISF) 2020 will be held from 22ndto 25th December, 2020.
- This was announced by The Union Minister for Science & Technology, Earth Sciences and Health & Family Welfare, Harsh Vardhan.
- The fifth IISF was held in Kolkata. ALL these IISFs had generated immense response from people within India and from abroad.
- IISF is an annual event organised jointly by science & technology-related Ministries and Departments of the Government of India and Vijnana Bharati (Vibha).
- IISF is a festival to celebrate the achievements of India’s scientific and technological advancements with students, innovators, craftsmen, farmers, scientists and technocrats from India and abroad.
- IISF 2020 expects participation of large number of scientist and institutions from India and abroad as well as young people.
- Minister of Science and Technology, Minister of Health and Family Welfare and Minister of Earth Sciences: Dr. Harsh Vardhan
- Constituency: Chandni Chowk, New Delhi
Join General Awareness Crash course for IBPS RRB-IBPS PO/Clerk use code NASA to get 30% discount
CURRENT AFFAIRS: SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY
IIT Kharagpur’s ‘COVIRAP’ – Novel Technology of COVID-19 Test Gets ICMR Certification
- ‘COVIRAP,’ the diagnostic technology developed by IIT Kharagpur researchers, has been successfully validated for its efficacy in COVID-19 detection by the Indian Council of Medical Research (ICMR).
- This COVID-19 Diagnostic Test has been designed to be fairly easy to conduct and affordable as well and can produce results within one hour.
- This new testing method implements a highly reliable and accurate molecular diagnostic procedure that can be conducted in an ultra-low-cost portable device unit developed by the IIT Kharagpur research team. The test results are rendered via a custom-made mobile application for dissemination without requiring manual interpretation.
- It costs only 500 per test.
DRDO successfully conducts final trial of Nag anti-tank guided missile in Pokhran range
- India successfully carried out the final trial of the Defence Research and Development Organization (DRDO)-developed Nag anti-tank guided missile with a warhead.
- The test was carried out today morning at the Pokhran field firing ranges in Rajasthan. The trial of Nag anti-tank guided missile comes after the DRDO tested the helicopter launched Stand-off Anti-Tank Missile (SANT) with a range beyond 10 km from Balasore testing range in Odisha on 19th October.
- The Nag anti-tank missile is ready for induction in the Indian Army. It has completed 10 successful user trial as it finds the target and then hit it.
- Headquarters: New Delhi
- Chairman: Satheesh Reddy
CURRENT AFFAIRS: RANKING
UP Emerges As The Top Destination For Domestic Tourists In 2019, Secures Third Position In Attracting Foreign Tourists
- Uttar Pradesh has emerged at the top position for attracting the highest number of domestic tourists in 2019.
- The Indian Tourism Statistics (ITS), 2020, has announced that as many as 53.6 crore domestic tourists visited Uttar Pradesh in 2019 which was much higher as compared to 2018 when the state had got the second position after Tamil Nadu.
- Uttar Pradesh attracted the highest number of domestic tourists in the country in 2019 with a share of 23.1 per cent travellers visiting the state.
- Tamil Nadu (21.3%) came second followed by Andhra Pradesh (10.2%).
- The UP has also secured the third position in attracting foreign tourists with a record footfall of nearly 47 lakh foreigners visiting last year.
- Tamil Naduhas topped the list with nearly 68 lakh foreigners visiting the state in 2019.
India recorded highest air pollution exposure globally in 2019
- India recorded the highest air pollution exposure annual average PM 2.5 concentration exposure in the world last year(2019), according to the State of Global Air 2020 (SOGA 2020) report.
- India was followed by Nepal, Niger, Qatar and Nigeria in high PM 2.5 exposures.
- Out of the 20 most populous countries, 14 have recorded a gradual improvement in air quality but India, Bangladesh, Niger, Pakistan and Japan are among those that have recorded a modest increase in air pollution levels.
- India is also among the top ten countries with highest ozone (O3) exposure in 2019. Qatar recorded the highest O3 exposure followed by Nepal and India.
- SOGA, released by US-based Health Effects Institute and Global Burden of Disease (GBD), uses both data from ground monitors and satellite to make their assessments.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: SPORTS
Sporting activities to resume in SAI training centres across country from 1st of Nov: Sports Ministry
- Ministry of Youth Affairs and Sports has stated, with an eye on the Tokyo Olympics and Paralympics, sporting activities are being resumed in Sports Authority of India-SAI training centres across the country from 1st of November.
- In view of the prevailing Covid-19 situation and to protect athletes from exposure to the virus, SAI has decided to make transport arrangements for the athletes of NCOEs and SAI Training Centres who have to join their training facility.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: OBITUARY
Telangana’s first Home Minister Nayini Narsimha Reddy passes away at 86
- Senior TRS leader and the first Home Minister of Telangana Nayini Narsimha Reddy passed away at the age of 86.
- The leader had been undergoing treatment for post-COVID-19 complications at a hospital in Hyderabad.
DAILY CA 21st OCT
- World Osteoporosis Day- Oct 20th
- International Chefs Day- Oct 20th
- Shipping Minister Mansukh Mandaviya launches indigenous software solution for vessel traffic
- Defence Minister releases new version of DRDO Procurement Manual 2020
- Dr Harsh Vardhan Launches CuRED, CSIR Partnered Clinical Trials Website
- Indian spends 3.5% of average daily income on food, New York
- Israel Embassy to have ‘Water Attache’ in India from January
- 5th Joint Working Group Meeting On Coal Between India, Indonesia On Nov 5
- Indian Bank launches credit scheme for start-ups in pact with IITMIC
- Bank of Baroda ties up with Toyota Kirloskar Motor
- Nokia picked by NASA to build first cellular network on the Moon
- Microsoft, Elon Musk’s SpaceX tie up to woo space customers
- Alstom partners with APSSDC for skill development
- Odisha CM Naveen Patnaik launches ‘Mo Bidyut’ portal, app
- Home secretary Ajay Kumar Bhalla’s tenure extended till Aug 22, 2021
- Vega ropes in Rohit Sharma as brand ambassador
- NHPC designates Rajendra Prasad Goyal as CFO
- ISA Confers the Very First ISA Solar Awards at Third Assembly
- Rakayet Ul Karim Rakim of Bangladesh Wins the Greenstorm International Nature Photography Contest
- 9th Session Of India-Oman Joint Commission Held
- Finance Minister holds 4th review meeting on CAPEX of Central Public Sector Enterprises
- PORTRAITS OF POWER: Half a Century of Being at Ringside NK Singh’s new book traces origin and growth of the PMO
- SANT Missile successfully testfired from Odisha coast
- India Fourth Most Powerful Country In Asia: Asia Power Index 2020
- India Ranks Second in Inflow of Migrants to OECD Countries, China Retains Top Spot
- IIIT Hyderabad and NMDA Develop Rapid Visual Screening (RVS) Primer to Mitigate Earthquake Risks
- NASA’s OSIRIS-REx Spacecraft Successfully Touches Asteroid
DAILY CA 22nd OCT
- Police Commemoration Day is observed every year on October 21
- Global Iodine Deficiency Disorders (IDD) Prevention Day or World Iodine Deficiency Day is observed every year on 21st October
- International Stuttering Awareness Day is observed annually on October 22.
- Surat now has India’ longest BRTS network
- Govt partners with FICCI for “Make-in-Odisha” 2020
- Meghalaya CM launches ‘micro ATM’ service in rural areas
- Sushil Kumar Singhal accredited as next High Commissioner of India to Solomon Islands
- IRDAI sets up panel to examine need for standard cyber liability insurance product
- Indian Bank launches credit scheme for start-ups in pact with IITMIC
- Managing Director of TRIFED Pravir Krishna bags CEO of the year and visionary leadership award
- Power Grid Director (Operations) Seema Gupta wins Gold Stevie Award 2020
- 18th meeting of SCO Prosecutors General held via videolink
- 6th India International Science Festival to be held in Virtual format from 22nd to 25th December, 2020
- IIT Kharagpur’s ‘COVIRAP’ – Novel Technology of COVID-19 Test Gets ICMR Certification
- DRDO successfully conducts final trial of Nag anti-tank guided missile in Pokhran range
- UP Emerges As The Top Destination For Domestic Tourists In 2019, Secures Third Position In Attracting Foreign Tourists
- India recorded highest air pollution exposure globally in 2019
- Sporting activities to resume in SAI training centres across country from 1st of Nov: Sports Ministry
- Telangana’s first Home Minister Nayini Narsimha Reddy passes away at 86