This post is also available in: हिन्दी (Hindi)
Dear Readers, Daily Current Affairs News Updates about the National and International events were listed here. Read Current Affairs Today here and stay updated with current news. Candidates those who are preparing for IBPS/SBI/PO/Clerk exam and all other competitive exams can use this and try Current Affairs Quiz to test your knowledge level.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: NATIONAL
Social Justice Ministry to launch mental health rehabilitation helpline “Kiran”
- The Social Justice and Empowerment Ministry has launched a toll-free helpline to enable access to mental health resources.
- The “Kiran” mental health rehabilitation helpline number, 1800-599-0019, will provide callers “support for early screening, first-aid, psychological support, distress management, mental well-being, preventing deviant behaviours, psychological crisis management etc.,
- The helpline will offer services in 13 languages.
- It targets to resolve issues of people across the country experiencing stress, anxiety, depression, panic attack, adjustment disorder, post-traumatic stress disorder, substance abuse, suicidal thoughts, pandemic-induced psychological issues and mental health emergency.
- Minister of Social Justice and Empowerment: Thaawar Chand Gehlot
- Constituency: Shajapur , Madhya Pradesh
IIT-Hyderabad start-up launches world’s most affordable respirator mask
- With a vision to provide high-quality protection, especially in the healthcare industry and its frontline workers, USafe’s US9 Respirator Mask has 98.03% PM0.3 filtration rate and 99.7% bacterial filtration rate (better than N95 standards).
- The home-grown innovation in tune with the ‘Make in India’ and ‘Atmanirbhar Bharat’ aspirations, US9 Respirator Mask, has been designed, developed and produced in collaboration with Indian Institute of Technology Hyderabad under the mentorship of Prof Surya Kumar and Prof Renu John.
Govt approves 78 new routes under Udan scheme; focus on North East, islands
- Centre has approved 78 new additional routes to be awarded under the fourth round of the Regional Connectivity Scheme (RCS)- ‘Ude Desh Ka Aam Nagrik’ (UDAN) focusing on boosting connectivity in the North East, hilly states and islands.
- The Udan is a regional airport development scheme aimed at enhancing connectivity to remote and regional areas of the country and making air travel affordable.
- The scheme is a key component of Centre’s National Civil Aviation Policy led by Prime Minister Narendra Modi and launched in June 2016.
- “Special boost is being given to connectivity in North East with routes from Guwahati to Tezu, Rupsi, Tezpur, Passighat, Misa and Shillong. People will be able to fly from Hissar to Chandigarh, Dehradun and Dharmshala under these UDAN 4 routes.
- Routes from Varanasi to Chitrakoot and Shravasti have also been approved. Agatti, Kavaratti and Minicoy islands of Lakshadweep have also been connected by the new routes of UDAN 4.0,” the ministry said in a statement.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: STATES
Arunachal Pradesh assembly passes resolution to bring state under Sixth Schedule
- The Arunachal Pradesh Assembly has passed a resolution to bring the state under the ambit of Sixth Schedule of the Constitution besides amending Article 371(H) by inserting provisions to safeguard tribes of the state.
- The resolution which was moved by Legislative Affairs Minister Bamang Felix on behalf of the State Government was passed by voice vote following a marathon discussion in the house.
About Arunachal Pradesh
- Capital: Itanagar
- Chief Minister: Pema Khandu
- Governor: D. Mishra
CURRENT AFFAIRS: BANKING AND FINANCE
Bajaj Allianz Life Insurance launches real-time assistance service
- Private life insurer Bajaj Allianz Life Insurance has launched a new technology service called ‘Smart Assist’ that provides real-time assistance to customers.
About Smart Assist:
- Smart Assist is designed to help customers know all about their product, through virtual assistance, since face-to-face meetings have been a challenge amid the coronavirus pandemic.
- It can be accessed from any device, including desktop, laptop and mobile phone. This platform provides application processing, providing consent through a one-time password and online payment collection.
- Using a screen sharing feature, the agent will be able to assist customers live to fill up the proposal form and also help them in the policy purchase journey.
- Even if there is an error in the form that has to be corrected in the proposal form, this can be done through the screen-sharing process. No additional application needs to be downloaded.
About Bajaj Allianz Life Insurance
- CEO: Tarun Chugh
- Headquarters: Pune
CURRENT AFFAIRS: RANKING AND INDEX
World Bank pauses publication of Doing Business report
- The World Bank has decided to pause the publication of its Doing Business report following a number of irregularities regarding changes to data in previous reports.
- A number of irregularities have been reported regarding changes to the data in the Doing Business 2018 and Doing Business 2020 reports, published in October 2017 and 2019.
- The changes in the data were inconsistent with the Doing Business methodology.
About World Bank:
- Headquarters: Washington, D.C., United States
- President: David Malpass
CURRENT AFFAIRS: MOU
HDFC Bank partners with Adobe to enhance digital customer experiences
- HDFC Bank announced a strategic partnership with Adobe to enhance the digital experience journey of its customers.
- Powered by Adobe Experience Cloud solutions, this partnership will enable HDFC Bank to deliver personalised digital experiences to existing as well as new customers, at anytime and anywhere.
- It will allow HDFC Bank to provide personalised online experiences to its existing and new customers.
- Further, existing solutions such as Adobe Analytics and Adobe Target, will help the bank derive insights and deepen personalised services to customers.
- Platforms like Data Management Platform in Adobe Audience Manger will help HDFC Bank develop a deeper understanding of customers.
- The rich data will enable the bank to deliver focussed campaigns and communication to customer — through email, mobile, off-line channels and more.
- MD & CEO: Sashidhar Jagdishan
- Headquarters: Mumbai
- Tagline: We understand your world
Innoviti partners with Visa to develop installments platform for face-to-face transactions
- Innoviti had entered a partnership with Visa, the leader in payments technology to develop a platform that will enable issuers to extend credit to their cardholders at face-to-face point-of-sale (In India).
- It provides shoppers the ability to choose how they pay during the purchase with the introduction of a suite of platform capabilities leveraging Innoviti’s uniPAYNEXT platform and Visa’s APIs.
- Innoviti and Visa plan to collaborate and pilot a variety of installment use cases as part of this partnership going forward.
- The installments platform will help merchants leverage cardholders’ existing relationships with financial institutions to provide installment solutions at the point of sale – through a single API-based integration.
- This will ultimately help merchants enhance sales, improve customer loyalty and overall cash flow, while offering their shoppers a friction-free payment experience at checkout.
- The platform will initially be piloted with one bank and enabled for key electronic merchant chains on Innoviti’s platform. It will subsequently be extended to other banks, merchants, and payment service providers through easy to use APIs using which they more use cases can be developed.
About Innoviti Payment Solutions Pvt. Ltd
- Registered office: Bangalore, Karnataka
- Chief Executive Officer(CEO): Rajeev Agrawal
- Headquarters: California, United States
- Chairman and CEO: Alfred F. Kelly, Jr.
Ericsson and UNICEF launch global partnership to map school internet connectivity
- Ericsson and UNICEF announced a global partnership to help map school connectivity in 35 countries by the end of 2023.
- Mapping the internet connectivity landscape for schools and their surrounding communities is a critical first step towards providing every child with access to digital learning opportunities.
- This joint effort is part of the Giga initiative. Launched last year and led by UNICEF and the International Telecommunication Union (ITU).
- Giga aims to connect every school to the internet. Ericsson is the first private sector partner to make a multimillion-dollar commitment to the initiative and does so as a Global UNICEF Partner for School Connectivity Mapping.
- The UNICEF-Ericsson partnership also contributes to the Generation Unlimited Global Breakthrough on Digital Connectivity that aims to give young people digital skills so they can fully and meaningfully participate in the digital economy.
- Headquarters: Stockholm, Sweden
- CEO: Börje Ekholm
- Headquarters: New York, United States
- Head: Henrietta H. Fore
CURRENT AFFAIRS: APPOINMENT AND RESIGNATION
Japanese PM Shinzo Abe resigns over worsening health
- Prime Minister Shinzo Abe, Japan’s longest-serving premier, he was resigning because of poor health, ending a stint at the helm of the world’s third-biggest economy during which he sought to revive growth and bolster its defences.
- “I cannot be prime minister if I cannot make the best decisions for the people. I have decided to step down from my post,” Abe, 65, told a news conference.
- Abe has battled the disease ulcerative colitis for years and two recent hospital visits within a week had fanned questions on whether he could stay in the job until the end of his term as ruling party leader, and hence, premier, in September 2021.
- Capital: Tokyo
- Currency: Japanese yen
CURRENT AFFAIRS: APPS AND PORTALS
Rajnath Singh launches mobile app for NCC training
- Shri Rajnath Singh launched the Directorate General National Cadet Corps (DGNCC) Mobile Training App.
- The app would be useful for digital learning and help overcome the difficulties posed by the pandemic.
About DGNCC App:
- This App will certainly be a positive step towards automation of NCC training, in line with Digital India vision of Prime Minister Narendra Modi and will go a long way in assisting the NCC cadets in easier access to training material in these testing times of pandemic.
- The App has been made interactive by including a query option. By using this option, a cadet can post his question related to the training syllabus and the same will be answered by a panel of qualified instructors.
- The DGNCC Mobile Training App aims at providing NCC cadets entire training material (syllabus, précis, training videos and frequently asked questions) on one platform.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: BOOKS AND AUTHORS
29-year-old Marieke Lucas Rijneveld becomes youngest author to win International Booker Prize
- A 29-year-old Dutch writer Marieke Lucas Rijneveld has become the youngest author to win the International Booker Prize.
- Marieke Lucas Rijneveld’s “The Discomfort of Evening,” a dark story about a devout farming family in a strict Christian community in the rural Netherlands.
- Under the rules of the prize, the 50,000-pound ($66,000) award will be split between the author and translator Michele Hutchison, giving both equal recognition.
- Ted Hodgkinson, who chaired a panel of judges.
About Internatioanl Booker Prize
- The International Booker Prize is awarded every year to a book of fiction in any language that is translated into English and published in the U.K. or Ireland. The award is separate from the main Booker Prize, and aims to encourage more publishing and reading of quality fiction from around the world.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY
IIT Alumni Council to build world’s largest, fastest hybrid quantum computer
- The Indian Institute of Technology’s Alumni Council has signed an agreement with Lomonosov Moscow State University and Russoft to access and transfer key technologies from Russia to build the world’s largest and fastest hybrid quantum computer in India.
- Under the agreement, the Russian state-owned companies will transfer critical modules in cryogenics, cryptography and modularised cloud management technology to IIT Alumni Council.
- These technologies will be used to support solutions for solving infrastructure challenges in areas such as healthcare, agriculture, transport and logistics, pollution and weather forecast.
- It will also collapse cost of genome testing from over₹1 lakh per sample to under ₹1,000, facilitating genetics-based personalised medicines to avoid unnecessary universal vaccination which may have safety issues.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: DEFENCE
DRDO expert panel to review charter of labs to cut overlap
- The Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO) has set up an expert panel to review the charter of its laboratories and minimise the overlap of technologies they are working on at a time when self-reliance in the defence sector is a top priority for the government.
- DRDO chief G Satheesh Reddy has constituted the five-member committee under the chairmanship of Indian Institute of Technology, Delhi director V Ramagopal Rao and asked the panel to submit its report within 45 days.
- The other members of the committee are Indian Air Force deputy chief Air Marshal Sandeep Singh, Vikram Sarabhai Space Centre director S Somanath, Instruments Research & Development Establishment (a Dehradun-based DRDO lab) director Benjamin Lionel and Director General-Naval Systems and Materials, Samir V Kamath.
- Headquarters: DRDO Bhavan, New Delhi
- Founded: 1958
- Chief: G Satheesh Reddy
INS Viraat to Be Dismantled at Alang in Gujarat
- INS Viraat, the aircraft carrier that served the Indian Navy for 30 years before being decommissioned three years ago, is likely to be towed from Mumbai to Alang in Gujarat’s Bhavnagar district next month to be dismantled and sold as scrap.
- The longest serving warship, inducted into the IndianNavy in 1987, was bought by Shree Ram Group for Rs 38.54 crore at an auction conducted by the Metal Scrap Trade Corporation Limited last month.
- It will take around three days for the ship to betowed from Mumbai to Alang. It will be scrapped at thecountry’s first certified eco-friendly ship recycling yard in nine to 12 months.
- INS Viraat, the second Centaur-class aircraft carrier,was in service for 30 years before being decommissioned in March 2017.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: SPORTS
AIFC and Football Coaches Australia sign MoU for development of game in India
- The Association of Indian Football Coaches (AIFC) has signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) with Football Coaches Australia (FCA) to assist each other in development of football in the two countries.
- The two bodies will look to encourage the involvement of more female coaches and increase access to football for all participants.
- The MoU is introduction of standard contracts for coaches within their country which set out the agreed minimum employment conditions and a structured and resourced process for termination of employment.
- General Secretary: Mr. Kushal Das
- Headquarters: Mumbai, Maharashtra
- President: Phil Moss
- Headquarters: Australia
Tennis legends Bob, Mike Bryan announce retirement
- Tennis legends Bob and Mike Bryan have decided to retire ahead of the 2020 US Open.
- The pair of 42-year-old identical twins are the most successful doubles duo in the history of the sport.
- They earned an Olympic gold medal together in 2012 to go along with winning a record 16 Grand Slam doubles titles from 2003 to 2014 and, altogether, 119 tour titles together. As a duo, the Bryan brothers were ranked No. 1 in the world for a total of 438 weeks.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: OBITUARY
Veteran Assamese singer Archana Mahanta passes away
- Noted Assamese singer and popular singer Angaraag ‘Papon’ Mahanta’s mother Archana Mahanta passed away.
- Archana Mahanta and her husband Khagen Mahanta, who was known as ‘Bihu King’, used to be a hugely popular couple known for their renditions of Bihu and traditional folk songs of Assam.
- Both enthralled audiences at Bihu functions across the state and outside for many years.
DAILY CA 27th AUG
- World Water Week-24th to 28th aug
- International Dog Day- 26th aug
- NITI Aayog releases Export Preparedness Index 2020
- Ministry of Culture announces 7 new circles of Archaeological Survey of India
- NHA releases Draft Health Data Management Policy of National Digital Health Mission
- DoPPW to integrate e- Pension Payment Order with Digi Locker
- Mission COVID Suraksha’: Govt mulls mission with Rs 3,000-crore corpus for development, manufacture of Covid-19 vaccine
- Germany to issue ”green bonds” worth up to $13B this year
- HSBC launches one-stop solution for multiple payment options
- Axis Bank Introduces ‘Liberty Savings Account’ for the Indian Youth
- Mahindra ties up with Israel’s REE Automotive to develop commercial EVs
- TVS Automobile Solutions and Google tie up to digitise auto aftermarket
- Greenko and NTPC to partner for supplying on-demand green energy
- Haryana govt inks deal with M3M foundation to provide online classes to students
- Cognizant to acquire Tin Roof Software to expand digital engineering services
- NHAI develops portal to track performance of developers, consultants
- Former IOC Chairman Sanjiv Singh joins Reliance as Group President
- Yatinder Prasad appointed on Coal India board
- Book on renowned coach Vasoo Paranjape ‘Cricket Drona’ to be released
- ISRO Signs Agreement With Technical Institute In Odisha To Promote Space Research
- Scientists Develop Technique To Produce Biofuel From Algae To Boost India’s Clean Energy Efforts
- Astronomers trace mystery behind the formation of a star from dwarf galaxy
- Gujarat tops Niti Aayog’s Export Preparedness Index 2020
- Poulomi Ghatak retires from Table Tennis, shifts her focus on coaching
- India plans to host BRICS Games during Khelo India Games in 2021
- Japan’s Olympic doubles champion Ayaka Takahashi announces retirement
- Writer-journalist Gail Sheehy passes away
DAILY CA 28th AUG
- Social Justice Ministry to launch mental health rehabilitation helpline “Kiran”
- IIT-Hyderabad start-up launches world’s most affordable respirator mask
- Govt approves 78 new routes under Udan scheme; focus on North East, islands
- Arunachal Pradesh assembly passes resolution to bring state under Sixth Schedule
- Rajnath Singh launches mobile app for NCC training
- Bajaj Allianz Life Insurance launches real-time assistance service
- World Bank pauses publication of Doing Business report
- HDFC Bank partners with Adobe to enhance digital customer experiences
- Innoviti partners with Visa to develop installments platform for face-to-face transactions
- Ericsson and UNICEF launch global partnership to map school internet connectivity
- Japanese PM Shinzo Abe resigns over worsening health
- 29-year-old Marieke Lucas Rijneveld becomes youngest author to win International Booker Prize
- IIT Alumni Council to build world’s largest, fastest hybrid quantum computer
- DRDO expert panel to review charter of labs to cut overlap
- INS Viraat to Be Dismantled at Alang in Gujarat
- AIFC and Football Coaches Australia sign MoU for development of game in India
- Tennis legends Bob, Mike Bryan announce retirement
- Veteran Assamese singer Archana Mahanta passes away