Dear Readers, Daily Current Affairs News Updates about the National and International events were listed here. Read Current Affairs Today here and stay updated with current news. Candidates those who are preparing for IBPS/SBI/PO/Clerk exam and all other competitive exams can use this and try Current Affairs Quiz to test your knowledge level.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: DAYS
82nd CRPF Raising Day
- CRPF Raising Day is celebrated every year on July 27th.
- It came into existence as the Crown Representative’s Police on 27 July 1939.
- After Indian Independence, it became the Central Reserve Police Force on enactment of the CRPFAct on 28 December 1949.
World Hepatitis Day
- World Hepatitis Day, observed on July 28 every year, aims to raise global awareness of hepatitis — a group of infectious diseases known as Hepatitis A, B, C, D, and E — and encourage prevention, diagnosis and treatment.
- This year’s theme is “Hepatitis-free future,” with a strong focus on preventing hepatitis B among mothers and newborns.
World Nature Conservation Day
- World Nature Conservation Day is observed on July 28 every year to raise awareness about conserving nature
- The aim of marking the World Nature Conservation Day is to save our trees, water and other resources.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: NATIONAL
Deadline For Mandatory Hallmarking Of Gold Jewellery Extended Till June 1 Next Year
- The government has extended deadline for mandatory hallmarking of gold jewellery and artefacts by over four months till June 1, 2021, in the wake of the ongoing Covid-19 pandemic.
- Gold hallmarking is a purity certification of the precious metal and is voluntary in nature at present. The Centre, in November last year, had announced that hallmarking of gold jewellery and artefacts would be made mandatory across the country from Jan. 15, 2021.
- From June 1 next year, jewellers will be allowed to sell only 14, 18 and 22 carats of gold.
Government launched four schemes for setting up of Bulk Drugs & Medical Devices Parks
- Chemicals and Fertilizers Minister Sadananda Gowda launched four schemes of Department of Pharmaceuticals for promotion of domestic manufacturing of bulk drugs and medical devices parks in the country.
- The government has approved four schemes, two each for Bulk Drugs and Medical Devices parks.
- This opens the door for critical API production and manufacturing of high end medical devices.
|Union Minister of Chemicals and Fertilizers
||D. V. Sadananda Gowda
CURRENT AFFAIRS: INTERNATIONAL
India hands over 10 broad gauge locomotives to Bangladesh
- India handed over 10 broad-gauge (BG) locomotives to Bangladesh, aiming to help handle the increasing volume of passenger and freight train operations in the neighbouring country.
- The locomotives were flagged off virtually by External Affairs Minister S Jaishankar and Railways Minister Piyush Goyal and were received by Bangladesh’s Foreign Minister A K Abdul Momen and Railway Minister Nurul Islam Sujan.
- The 10 locomotives handed over and are designed for a speed of 120 mph, and are suitable for hauling freight and passenger trains.
IMF approves $4.3 bn to South Africa in biggest COVID-19 loan
- The IMF has decided to grant South Africa $4.3 billion in emergency funding, the largest amount given to any country yet to fight the coronavirus pandemic.
- The funds “support the authorities’ efforts in addressing the challenging health situation and economic impact of the COVID-19 shock”.
- South Africa is the worst-hit country in the continent with over 4,50,000 cases.
||Washington, D.C., United States
|About South Africa
||Cape Town, Pretoria, Bloemfontein
||South African rand
CURRENT AFFAIRS: STATES
Road In Lucknow Named After Former MP Governor Lalji Tandon
- The Lucknow Municipal Corporation named a road and a crossing in the city after former Madhya Pradesh Governor Lalji Tandon.
- The Chauk Chauraha will now be known as Lalji Tandon Chauraha and the Lucknow-Hardoi Road will be known as Tandon Marg.
- The former MP Governor Tandon had started his political career when he became a councillor in Lucknow.
- Earlier, the Hazratganj Chauraha in Lucknow was renamed after former Prime Minister Atal Behari Vajpayee after his death in 2018.
|About Uttar Pradesh
Tata AIA Life Insurance launches express claims service that promises payouts in 4 hours
- Private sector Tata AIA Life Insurance has announced a new facility that promises to process life insurance claim pay-outs within four hours of registering them.
About express claims service
- Tata AIA Life’s Express Claims within four hours is the fastest claims pay-out by any life insurer in the country.
- Additionally, the insurer’s representatives offer customers services at their doorstep and assist with the necessary documentation so that the nominees do not need to visit the Tata AIA Life branch to register their claim.
Wibmo launches video-based customer identification process for banks
- Wibmo Inc, a global provider of payer authentication services and card payment security solutions, announced the launch of Wibmo Video-KYC, its video-based KYC solution to enable banks to digitally onboard their customers.
- Wibmo Video-KYC serves as a one-on-one digital interaction platform between banks and their customers.
- Wibmo believes that with Indian regulators opening up digital channels for KYC compliance, banks are looking at faster and more cost-effective ways to onboard customers, especially during the current Covid-19 pandemic.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: APPS AND PORTALS
IMD launches weather app for real-time updates and warnings across India
- The India Meteorological Department (IMD) launched its own app that will give real-time updates and warnings across 450 cities across the country, the first of its kind official weather app.
- This app is launched on the occasion of the 14th foundation day of Ministry of Earth Sciences (MoES).
About Mausam App:
- It is designed and developed by the International Crops Research Institute for the Semi-Arid Tropics (ICRISAT), the Indian Institute of Tropical Meteorology (IITM), Pune and the India Meteorological Department (IMD).
- It will also show radar and satellite images, which were earlier visible only on IMD’s website.
|Director General of Meteorology
||Dr. Mrutyunjay Mohapatra
|Minister of Health and Family Welfare and Minister of Earth Sciences
||Dr. Harsh Vardhan
||Chadni Chowk, New Delhi
CURRENT AFFAIRS: APPOINTMENTS AND RESIGNATIONS
Naveen Tahilyani to take charge as Tata AIA Life Insurance MD & CEO
- Tata AIA Life Insurance has appointed Naveen Tahilyani as the new Chief Executive Officer & Managing Director.
- This is Tahilyani’s second stint at Tata AIA Life Insurance.
- Tahilyani will take over from current Chief Executive Officer, Rishi Srivastava, who is moving to Group Agency Distribution, AIA Group, Hong Kong as Chief Executive Officer.
- Tahilyani was group head in-charge of transformation at Axis Bank but quit the position within seven months.
|About Tata AIA Insurance
Croatian parliament approves new gov’t led by incumbent PM Andrej Plenkovic
- The Croatian parliament, approved a new government led by incumbent Prime Minister Andrej Plenkovic.
- In the parliamentary elections, the center-right Croatian Democratic Union (HDZ) led by Plenkovic won 66 out of the total of 151 seats in the parliament.
- He has been serving as HDZ president since July 2016, and prime minister since October 2016.
Somalia’s Deputy Prime Minister Mahdi Mohammed Gulaid Appointed As Acting Prime Minister
- Somalia’s Deputy Prime Minister Mahdi Mohammed Gulaid has announced his appointment as the interim prime minister.
- He succeeded Hassan Ali Khaire.
- A new prime minister will be appointed within a month by a President Mohamed Farmaajo.
Tunisia appoints interior minister Mechichi as the new prime minister
- Tunisia’s President Kais Saiedappointed the Interior Minister, Hichem Mechichi, as the new Prime Minister for the North African country.
- Mechichi will succeed Elyes Fakhfakh, who resigned last week over allegations of conflict of interest.
- Mechichi has served as president’s adviser and member of the National Commission of Investigation on Corruption founded in 2011.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: AWARDS AND HONORS
India’s first solar-powered ferry Aditya wins global honour
- Aditya, India’s first solar-powered ferry that commenced operations in 2017 in Kerala’s Vembanad backwaters, has won the prestigious Gustave Trouve Award for Excellence in Electric Boats and Boating.
- The ferry was adjudged the world’s best electric boat in the category of ferries designed for paid passenger service.
- The Aditya, from Navalt Boats, is a sun-powered commuter ferry that is one of the great stories of the future of electric marine propulsion.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: BOOKS AND AUTHORS
External Affairs Minister S Jaishankar unveils new book on India’s ‘struggle gaining influence in foreign policy’
- External Affairs Minister S Jaishankar, announced publication of his book ‘The India Way: Strategies for an Uncertain World’ by HarperCollins India.
- Jaishankar writes in the book that India has had to struggle mightily to gain influence in a domain that could have come more easily earlier as its foreign policy carries “three major burdens” from its past — Partition, delayed economic reforms and prolonged exercise of the nuclear option.
- Jaishankar had earlier served as the Foreign Secretary (2015-18), Ambassador to the United States (2013-15), Ambassador to China (2009-13), High Commissioner to Singapore (2007-09) and Ambassador to the Czech Republic (2000-04).
The Book “Quest for Restoring Financial Stability in India” by Former Deputy Governor of RBI, Dr. Viral V. Acharya released
- The book titled, Quest for Restoring Financial Stability in India, Former Deputy Governor of RBI, Dr. Viral V. Acharya, talks about his quest for restoring financial stability in India and offers a concrete plan for sustained improvement.
- Dr Acharya shares a feasible plan to address the recapitalization needs of public sector banks, offering solutions on how to improve credit allocation by credit intermediaries and establish viable and efficient capital markets.
- This book also raises several stark and unanswered questions related to the re-emergence of fiscal dominance in India, not just of monetary policy tools but also of banking regulations.
- As of 23 January 2017, he was appointed to serve a three-year term as aDeputy Governor of the Reserve Bank of India.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: BUSINESS AND ECONOMY
India’s e-commerce penetration may double, become $99 bn market by 2024: Goldman Sachs
- India’s e-commerce penetration is expected to more than double to nearly 11% by 2024 from 4.7% in 2019, and the industry is likely to reach $99 billion in size. This is according to Goldman Sach’s review of global e-commerce markets.
- India would overtake that of developed economies like the US, UK, China, Europe and Brazil.
- While the e-commerce growth rate for the current year is expected to be 18%, estimates suggest growth rates of over 33% and 28% respectively in 2021 and 2022 respectively.
|About Goldman Sachs
||New York, United States
||David M. Solomon
CURRENT AFFAIRS: SPORTS
Young Bangladesh pacer Kazi Anik handed two-year ban for doping violation
- Young Bangladesh pacer Kazi Anik Islam has been handed a two-year ban by the national cricket board for failing a dope test in 2018.
- Kazi, who was Bangladesh’s leading wicket-taker in the 2018 U-19 World Cup, tested positive for Methamphetamine, a prohibited substance, during a National Cricket League game in the same year.
- His two-year ban began on February 8, 2019.
Jamie Vardy wins Premier League’s Golden Boot award
- Leicester City striker Jamie Vardy bagged the Premier Leagues Golden Boot award after netting 23 goals across the 2019/20 season.
- He is the first Leicester City player to claim the award and is only the second Englishman after Harry Kane to take the crown in the last 20 years.
- Manchester City’s Brazilian keeper Ederson won the Golden Glove award after keeping his 16th clean sheet of the season against Norwich City to beat Burnley’s Nick Pope to the award.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: OBITUARY
Child welfare activist Achyuta Rao passes away due to COVID
- Founder and President of Balala Hakula Sangham, P Achyuta Rao passed away due to COVID-19.
- Mr Rao was a well known child rights activist, and had founded Balala Hakula Sangham in 1984. He is known to have helped prevent child marriages, incidents of child sexual abuse, and child labour.
- He recently filed a petition in Telangana High Court demanding that mid-day meal be served to students in government schools, since they have not been able to access it due to the pandemic-imposed lockdown.
Kansai Yamamoto, fashion designer, passes away
- Japanese fashion designer Kansai Yamamoto, known for his avant-garde collections and career-defining collaboration with David Bowie, has passed away aged 76.
- By the early 1970s he had become the first Japanese designer to hold a show in London, an opportunity that earned him international acclaim for his theatrical creations.
DAILY CA 26th and 27th JUL
- World IVF (In Vitro Fertilisation) Day, observed on July 25
- Kargil Vijay Diwas observed on July 26
- Indian Railways constructing world’s first electrified tunnel to run double-stack containers
- 29 animal reported dead at Kaziranga National Park, Tiger Reserve
- Assam government deploys drone and anti-depredation quick response vehicle to guard forest areas
- J-K Announces Launch Of ‘Macadamisation Program’ For Improvement Of Roads
- Delhi government launches website for job seekers, employers
- Tamil Nadu CM launches free mask plan for ration card holders
- African Development Bank commits $98 million to Rwanda for multisector COVID-19 response
- Air Marshal VR Chaudhari appointed as chief of IAF’s Western Air Command
- TRIFED signs MoU with IIT Delhi under govt’s ‘Unnat Bharat Abhiyan’
- IIT Kharagpur researchers develop portable device for low-cost Covid-19 rapid test
- IIT Madras startup launches wrist band for detecting COVID symptoms
- Hyderabad is 16th most surveilled city in the world
- India among top 10 countries gaining forest area in the world: FAO
- Reliance overtakes Exxon to become world’s 2nd most valuable energy firm
- Haryana to host 2021 Khelo India Youth Games after Tokyo Olympics
- Tanzania’s Former President Benjamin Mkapa passes away
- Fleetwood Mac founding guitarist Peter Green passes away
- Senior advocate Bhaskarrao Awhad passes away
- Actor John Saxon passes away at Age 83
- Actor Olivia de Havilland passes away
DAILY CA 28th JUL
- CRPF Raising Day is celebrated every year on July 27th
- World Hepatitis Day, observed on July 28 every year
- World Nature Conservation Day is observed on July 28
- Deadline For Mandatory Hallmarking Of Gold Jewellery Extended Till June 1 Next Year
- Government launched four schemes for setting up of Bulk Drugs & Medical Devices Parks
- India hands over 10 broad gauge locomotives to Bangladesh
- IMF approves $4.3 bn to South Africa in biggest COVID-19 loan
- Road in Lucknow Named After Former MP Governor Lalji Tandon
- Tata AIA Life Insurance launches express claims service that promises payouts in 4 hours
- Wibmo launches video-based customer identification process for banks
- IMD launches weather app for real-time updates and warnings across India
- Naveen Tahilyani to take charge as Tata AIA Life Insurance MD & CEO
- Croatian parliament approves new gov’t led by incumbent PM Andrej Plenkovic
- Somalia’s Deputy Prime Minister Mahdi Mohammed Gulaid Appointed As Acting Prime Minister
- Tunisia appoints interior minister Mechichi as the new prime minister
- India’s first solar-powered ferry Aditya wins global honour
- External Affairs Minister S Jaishankar unveils new book on India’s ‘struggle gaining influence in foreign policy’
- The book titled “Quest for Restoring Financial Stability in India” by Former Deputy Governor of RBI, Dr. Viral V. Acharya released
- India’s e-commerce penetration may double, become $99 bn market by 2024: Goldman Sachs
- Young Bangladesh pacer Kazi Anik handed two-year ban for doping violation
- Jamie Vardy wins Premier League’s Golden Boot award
- Child welfare activist Achyuta Rao passes away due to COVID
- Kansai Yamamoto, fashion designer, passes away