This post is also available in: हिन्दी (Hindi)
Daily Current Affairs 30th and 31st August 2020
Dear Readers, Daily Current Affairs News Updates about the National and International events were listed here. Read Current Affairs Today here and stay updated with current news. Candidates those who are preparing for IBPS/SBI/PO/Clerk exam and all other competitive exams can use this and try Current Affairs Quiz to test your knowledge level.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: DAYS
International Day of the Victims of Enforced Disappearances
- The International Day of the Disappeared, on August 30 of each year, is a day created to draw attention to the fate of individuals imprisoned at places and under poor conditions unknown to their relatives and/or legal representatives.
- The day was adopted by UN General Assembly on 21 December 2010 and was first observed in 2011.
National Small Industry Day
- Every year 30 August is observed as the National Small Industry Day.
- The day is observed to promote small industries across the country. The day acknowledges the contribution made by small scale industries.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: STATES
Assam Cabinet setting up of skill university in Darrang
- The Assam Cabinet approved the Assam Skill Development University Bill for setting up a state-of-the-art skill university at Mangaldoi in Darrang district.
- The university will be set up on a 100-bigha plot with an expense of Rs 900 crore.
- The university, which will be a Centre of Excellence, would be set up with financial assistance from the Asian Development Bank.
- The state Cabinet also gave its approval to complete the long-pending Dhansiri irrigation project in Udalguri district, a project that was launched in 1975 with a credit of Rs 116 crore from the National Bank for Agriculture and Rural Development (NABARD).
- Other key decisions of the Cabinet include approval for the Assam Heritage Protection and Preservation Bill; increase of the upper age limit for group III and group IV posts for two years so that unemployed youths can apply for jobs up to 40 years; insurance to the tune of Rs 50 lakh to journalists, home guards and all casual employees who succumbed to COVID-19 while performing their duties.
- The Cabinet also approved the Orunodoi Scheme for giving financial assistance to families with an annual income below Rs 2 lakh, besides giving its nod to amendment of the Assam MSME Bill.
- Capital: Dispur
- Chief minister: Sarbananda Sonowal
- Governor: Jagdish Mukhi
Kerala to set up India’s first International Women’s Trade Centre
- Kerala will set up India’s first international women’s trade centre (IWTC), in consonance with the United Nations Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) at
- This initiative aims to accelerate women entrepreneurship and secure gender parity while providing women with a safe place away from home to start new businesses, set up or expand, and get their products marketed globally.
- IWTC will enable women entrepreneurs to come forward and participate in international trade, enjoy greater economic benefits and enhance their competitiveness to tap market opportunities.
- REACH (Resource Enhancement Academy for Career Heights) is also aimed at empowering women with the required skills to ensure success in life.
- Capital: Thiruvananthapuram
- Chief minister: Pinarayi Vijayan
- Governor: Arif Mohammad Khan
UP Govt Launches ‘Major Dhyan Chand Vijaypath Yojana’ To Build Roads To 19 Int’l Players Houses
- Deputy Chief Minister of Uttar Pradesh Keshav Prasad Maurya launched the Major Dhyan Chand Vijaypath Yojana under which 19 international players from the state will get road connectivity to their houses.
- Indian pacer Bhuvneshwar Kumar, former pacer Praveen Kumar, Piyush Chawla and Mohammad Kaif are among the 19 athletes who will be benefited from the scheme.
- Late Cabinet Minister and former cricketer Chetan Chauhan will also have a road named after him. The initial list includes 19 players but later on, more players will be added to the scheme.
- Capital: Lucknow
- Governor: Anandiben Patel
- Chief minister: Yogi Adityanath
CURRENT AFFAIRS: APPS AND PORTALS
CISF launches ‘Pension Corner’ app for its retired personnel
- CISF has launched ‘Pension Corner’ app be in touch with all its retired personnel to cater to their
- The pensioners corner app will be available in both web and Android platforms with the facility for pensioners to access their data on the move.
- The new app will also have an SMS invitation system for the pensioners on important events happening at their nearest CISF unit.
- Apart from an inbuilt grievance redressal mechanism, all important circulars like job opportunities and benefits relating to pensioners will be available on the app.
- Headquarters: New Delhi, India
- Founded: 1969
- Director General: Rajesh Ranjan
CURRENT AFFAIRS: AWARDS AND HONORS
World War 2 spy Noor Inayat Khan first Indian origin woman to get UK memorial plaque
- Noor Inayat Khan, a World War 2 spy and descendant of ruler Tipu Sultan, became the first Indian origin woman to be honoured with the Blue Plaque in the UK.
- The Blue Plaque scheme run by the English Heritage charity honours notable people and organisations by installing a sign in a public place to commemorate the link between the place and the person.
- The plaque has been awarded to her for her service in the Special Operations Executive during World War 2.
- She was the first female radio operator be sent into Nazi-occupied France and is also remembered as Britain’s first Muslim war heroine.
SBI bags three Brandon Hall Excellence Awards for ‘Nayi Disha’
- The country’s largest lender State Bank of India (SBI) has won three Brandon Hall Excellence Awards for rolling out ‘Nayi Disha’ over the course of 1.5 years touching more than 2.40 lakh employees.
- SBI has won these awards in three categories viz. Best Learning Program supporting a Change Transformation Business Strategy, Best Use of Blended Learning and Best Unique or Innovative Learning and Development Program.
- The Brandon Hall Excellence Awards, also known as the Academy Awards of Learning & Development, recognize the best organizations that have successfully deployed programs, strategies, modalities, processes, systems, and tools to achieve measurable results.
- Headquarters: Mumbai
- Founded: 1 July 1955
- Chairperson: Rajnish Kumar
‘Vattatha Uravakkayi Jalasamrudhi’ wins award for excellence at the National Water Innovation Summit
- The ‘Vattatha Uravakkayi Jalasamrudhi’ project for water conservation in the Kattakada constituency has won the award for excellence at the National Water Innovation Summit organised by Elets Technomedia Pvt. Ltd. in association with the Union Ministry of Jal Shakti. The award was presented for innovation in rainwater harvesting.
- The project had earlier received the Chief Minister’s award for innovative projects.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY
India, France in talks for Mission Alpha-like equipment for Gaganyaan astronauts
- Space agencies of India and France are in an advanced stage of discussions for providing necessary equipment to Gaganyaan’ astronauts, similar to the one to be used by French astronaut Thomas Pesquet for Mission Alpha next year.
- India and France share a robust collaboration in the area of space. Space agencies of the two countries are also collaborating on nearly Rs 10,000 crore Gaganyaan mission that aims to send three Indians to space by
CURRENT AFFAIRS: DEFENCE
India withdraws from multilateral war game in Russia’s Kavkaz
- India has decided to withdraw from a multilateral war game in Russia’s Kavkaz exercise next month.
- India had conveyed to Russia that it will participate in the strategic command-post exercise to be held in the Astrakhan region in southern Russia from 15 to 26 September.
- Around 20 countries including all member-nations of the Shanghai Cooperation Organisation (SCO) including China and Pakistan are expected to participate in the Kavkaz exercise.
- India’s reconsideration on its participation in the military drill comes ahead of Defence Minister Rajnath Singh’s scheduled visit to Russia next week to attend a crucial meeting of the SCO.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: RANKING
India 72nd on global list with average monthly wage of Rs 32,800
- India has been ranked a lowly 72nd among 106 countries in terms of the average wage per month, while Switzerland topped the chart, according to a global ranking of average wages prepared by com.
- Switzerland, where the average wage converted into rupees amounts to Rs 4,49,000 ($5,989), topped the ranking, while in Cuba the average wage is the lowest at Rs 2,700 ($36).
- Switzerland was followed by Luxembourg and the United States, whose citizens on an average earn Rs 3,00,900 ($4,014) and Rs 2,64,900 ($3,534), respectively.
- com analysis team looked into earnings in countries around the world and created a global ranking of average wages.
- When it comes to Asian countries, India ended up in the second part of the ranking (10th out of 16). It was outrun by countries such as South Korea (Rs 1,72,900), China (Rs 72,100), Malaysia (Rs 62,700), or Thailand (Rs 46,400).
CURRENT AFFAIRS: SPORTS
Alexander Kristoff wins first stage of Tour de France
- Norway’s Alexander Kristoff won a crash-filled opening stage of the 2020 Tour de France after a sprint finish in treacherous conditions on Nice’s Promenade des Anglais, claiming the yellow jersey for the first time in his career.
- UEA Team Emirates rider Kristoff used his experience in the finishing burst to take the honors from world champion Mads Pedersen of Denmark and Dutch rider Cees Bol. Seven-time green jersey winner Peter Sagan finished fifth in the dash for line.
Lewis Hamilton wins Belgian Grand Prix to secure 89th victory of career
- Mercedes driver Lewis Hamilton dominated the Belgian Grand Prix to take his fifth victory in seven races this year and the 89th of his career.
- He is followed by Valtteri Bottas and Max Verstappen.
Para swimmer Satyendra Singh first Divyang sportsperson of country to get prestigious Adventure Award
- Para-swimmer Satyendra Singh Lohia of Madhya Pradesh is the first Divyanga Indian sportsperson of the country, who has been awarded today with the Tenzing Norgay Adventure Award.
- He is also the first Asian Divyang swimmer to cross the 42-kilometer Catalina Channel in the US in just 11 hours 34 minutes.
- Para-swimmer Satyendra Singh was also conferred with the Best Sportsperson National Award by Vice President Venkaiah Naidu on World Divyanga Day.
- He has also been awarded the highest sports award of Madhya Pradesh as well as many other national and international honours.
Deep Grace, Jayanti Behera get Biju Patnaik awards on National Sports Day
- Indian women’s hockey team defender Deep Grace Ekka and para-athlete Jayanti Behera received the Biju Patnaik sports award for outstanding performance from Chief Minister Naveen Patnaik through video conference on the occasion of the National Sports Day.
- Both of them received a citation along with cash award of Rs 2 lakh each.
- Similarly, Biju Patnaik Bravery Award was presented to two girls from Kendrapara, Purnima Giri and Sabita Giri, who received cash award of Rs 1 lakh each, medal and citation. Biju Patnaik Sports Award for excellence in coaching went to chess coach Satya Ranjan Patnaik. He received cash award of Rs 1 lakh.
- Siba Prasad Das received a cash award of Rs 32,50,000 for coaching to sports persons with disability. Among others, Padmini Rout, Hupi Majhi, Rajashree Mohapatra, Manisha Merel, Pratyasha Ray also received cash awards.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: OBITUARY
Former India athletic coach Purushotham Rai passes away hours before receiving Dronacharya Award
- Former India athletic coach Purushotham Rai, passed away with a heart attack, hours before receiving the Dronacharya Award, the highest sporting award for a coach in India.
- Purushottam Rai’s name was announced for the Dronacharya awards this year and he was scheduled to take part in the virtual felicitation programme from Bengaluru.
- He is the third person to receive this award from Karnataka in athletics.
DAILY CA 29th AUG
- National Sports Day- 29th august
- International Day against Nuclear Tests- 29th august
- Piyush Goyal launches GIS-enabled national land bank portal for details on industrial belts
- Government launches contest “Chunauti” to promote startups in small towns
- Indian Railways set to meet all it’s energy needs of over 33 billion units by 2030
- Centre to develop three Bamboo Clusters in Jammu, Katra and Samba areas of J&K
- UTIITSL ties up with NHA to provide print services for PMJAY e-cards
- 14th India-Singapore Defence Policy Dialogue via video conferencing
- India co-sponsors UN security council resolution on women peacekeepers
- UN: Global tourism lost USD 320 bn in 5 months due to coronavirus
- Bangladesh’s Beximco signs Covid-19 vaccine deal with India’s Serum Institute
- RBI launches surveys on consumer confidence, inflation expectations
- First marine ambulance in Kerala to be launched
- Delhi government launches fitness channel on YouTube for students stuck at home
- Akinwumi Adesina re-elected unanimously as President of the African Development Bank Group
- Tripura University scientist designs WARBOT to protect doctors
- Atal Dulloo inaugurates NAT-PCR facility at Government Medical College Srinagar
- Dwayne Bravo becomes first bowler to 500 wickets in T20s
- Tharanga Paranavitana Retires From International Cricket
- Former Supreme Court judge Justice AR Lakshmanan passes away
- Tamil Nadu Congress MP Vasantha Kumar passes away of COVID-19
- Veteran Athletics coach Purshottam Rai dies at 79
- Black Panther’ star Chadwick Boseman passes away at 43
DAILY CA 30th AND 31st AUG
- International Day of the Disappeared, observed on August 30 of each year
- Every year 30 August is observed as the National Small Industry Day
- Assam Cabinet setting up of skill university in Darrang
- Kerala to set up India’s first International Women’s Trade Centre
- UP Govt Launches ‘Major Dhyan Chand Vijaypath Yojana’ To Build Roads To 19 Int’l Players Houses
- CISF launches ‘Pension Corner’ app for its retired personnel
- World War 2 spy Noor Inayat Khan first Indian origin woman to get UK memorial plaque
- SBI bags three Brandon Hall Excellence Awards for ‘Nayi Disha’
- ‘Vattatha Uravakkayi Jalasamrudhi’ wins award for excellence at the National Water Innovation Summit
- India, France in talks for Mission Alpha-like equipment for Gaganyaan astronauts
- India withdraws from multilateral war game in Russia’s Kavkaz
- India 72nd on global list with average monthly wage of Rs 32,800
- Alexander Kristoff wins first stage of Tour de France
- Lewis Hamilton wins Belgian Grand Prix to secure 89th victory of career
- Para swimmer Satyendra Singh first Divyang sportsperson of country to get prestigious Adventure Award
- Deep Grace, Jayanti Behera get Biju Patnaik awards on National Sports Day
- Former India athletic coach Purushotham Rai passes away hours before receiving Dronacharya Award