Dear Readers, Daily Current Affairs News Updates about the National and International events were listed here. Read Current Affairs Today here and stay updated with current news. Candidates those who are preparing for IBPS/SBI/PO/Clerk exam and all other competitive exams can use this and try Current Affairs Quiz to test your knowledge level.Click Here to Attend 31st July 2020 Current Quiz
CURRENT AFFAIRS: DAYS
World day against trafficking in persons
- The world day against trafficking in persons is marked on July 30 every year to raise awareness about the menace of human trafficking and to protect the human rights of the victims.
- It was the first time in 2013 when the United Nations General Assembly designated 30 July as the World Day against Trafficking in Persons. And the same year, the UN General Assembly held a high-level meeting to form a global plan of action to tackle Trafficking in persons.
- The theme of this year’s World Day Against Trafficking focuses on first responders to human trafficking.“Committed To The Cause -Working On The Frontline To End Human Trafficking”.
International Day of Friendship
- International Day of Friendshipis observed annually on July 30 to cherish the bond of friendship which will ultimately help to develop love and peace among human beings.
- Friendship between peoples, countries, cultures and individuals can inspire peace efforts and build bridges between communities.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: NATIONAL
HRD Ministry renamed as Ministry of Education
- Ministry of Human Resource Development has been renamed as Ministry of Education.
- The Union Cabinet has approved the change in the name of the ministry. The HRD Ministry is currently headed by Ramesh Pokhriyal Nishank.
- The Union Cabinet has approved the draft New Education Policy (NEP 2020), which aims to revamp of all aspects of Indian education structure.
- The education policy was released in the year 1986, as for 34 years there were no changes in the education policy.
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi had reviewed the NEP- 2020, for which draft was prepared by a panel of experts led by former Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO) chief K Kasturirangan.
- Under the new system, flexibility will be given to students both in choosing the subjects for education as well as in the entry and exit in college degree
- Any student can exit a degree programme from the first year onwards if he/she wants only a certificate. Once two years are completed, a diploma will be awarded and post the completion of the three-year or four-year curriculum, the degree will be awarded.
- The National Education Policy will put a thrust on use of mother tongue as medium of instruction till the fifth grade. Further, subjects wouldn’t be restricted to students purely based on their educational background.
- Further, Phil programme will be discontinued. Students can also do a four-year degree programme, one-year Masters and then directly go to the doctoral programme.
- School students will also get an opportunity to do vocational education programmes under the new policy from the sixth grade.
- Instead of having different regulatory bodies like All India Council for Technical Education, University Grants Commission and other local niche entities, there will be one single higher education regulator.
- Use of schools/ school complexes beyond school hours and public library spaces for adult education courses which will be ICT-equipped when possible and for other community engagement and enrichment activities.
- NIOS will develop high-quality modules to teach Indian Sign Language, and to teach other basic subjects using Indian Sign Language.
- Pre-school sections covering at least one year of early childhood care and education will be added to Kendriya Vidyalayas and other primary schools around the nation, particularly in disadvantaged areas.
- NCC wings in secondary and higher secondary schools under Ministry of Defence
- Free boarding facilities will be built – matching the standard of Jawahar Navodaya Vidyalayas particularly for students who from socio-economically disadvantaged backgrounds
- National Scholarship portal for SC, ST, OBC, SEDGs students to be expanded.
- By 2030, the minimum degree qualification for teaching will be a 4-year integrated B.Ed. degree.
- Education sector to get 6% of GDP, earlier it was 1.7%
- Bagless days will be encouraged throughout the year for various types of enrichment activities involving arts, quizzes, sports, and vocational crafts.
- The three-language learned by children will be the choices of States, regions, and of the students, so long as at least two of the three languages are native to India.
- Nutrition and health cards, regular health check-ups for school students.
- National Mission on Foundation Literacy and Numeracy to be set up by MHRD.
- Tech- based option for adult learning through apps, TV channels etc.
- The National Testing Agency (NTA) will offer a high-quality common aptitude test, as well as specialized common subject exams in the sciences, humanities, languages, arts, and vocational subjects, at least twice every year for university entrance exams.
- Students will get 360 degree holistic report card, which will not only inform about the marks obtained by them in subjects, but also their skills and other important points.
- Coding to be taught from class 6 onwards.
- National Curricular and pedagogical framework to be developed by NCERT.
- Financial Autonomy to be given to 45K affiliated colleges
- An Academic Bank of Credit (ABC) shall be established which would digitally store the academic credits earned.
- NEP aims at setting up at least one large multidisciplinary institution in or near every district by the year 2030.
- IITs to become multidisciplinary institution, opening doors for humanities students.
- International Students Office at each institution hosting foreign students
- National Research Foundation (NRF) to be established.
- The new academic session will begin in September-October – the delay is due to the unprecedented coronavirus disease (Covid-19) outbreak – and the government aims to introduce the policy before the new session begins.
- This includes legal education and medical education as well. There will be an independent board of governors and a graded autonomy system will be launched.
About Ministry of Education (MoE)
- Union Minister– Ramesh Pokhriyal ‘Nishank’
- Constituency: Haridwar, Uttarakhand
Ayush Minister launches dedicated Web-Portal for National AYUSH Mission
- Ayush Minister Shripad Yesso Naik reviewed the centrally- sponsored scheme of National Ayush Mission and operationalization of AYUSH Health and Wellness Centers during a webinar of Health and Ayush Ministers of all states.
- Mr Naik requested Health and Ayush Ministers to give due focus to the early establishment and operationalization of AYUSH Health and Wellness Centers to strengthen the primary Healthcare delivery system in real-terms and to extend the AYUSH health care to the needy. He emphasized the need to speed up the pace of work sanctioned under National AYUSH Mission and AYUSH Health and Wellness Centers, so that the benefit may reach to the common people.
- On this occasion, Mr Naik launched a dedicated Web-Portal for National AYUSH Mission for submission of State Annual Action Plans, Utilization Certificates, Physical and Financial Progress report, and other informations related to the Ministry. The Minister also released 4 publications including Operational Guidelines for establishment of AYUSH Health and Wellness Centers.
About Ayush Ministry:
- Shripad Naik, Minister of State (Independent charge)
- Constituency: North Goa
MoD with MyGov conducts quiz competition on ‘Atmanirbhar Bharat – Swatantra Bharat’
- An online quiz competition on ‘Atmanirbhar Bharat – Swatantra Bharat’ is being conducted by Ministry of Defence in coordination with MyGov in order to create patriotic feeling among youth and masses.
- There will be 10 cash prizes. First, second, third and seven consolation ones. The first prize will be a sum of 25 thousand rupees, the second prize winner will get 15 thousand rupees and third prize winner will get 10 thousand rupees.
- Seven consolation prizes of 5 thousand rupees will be given. Indian citizens aged 14 years and above can participate in the quiz and win the exciting prizes. The quiz is available in MyGov portal
Piyush Goyal inaugurates CII National Digital conference on Ease of Doing Business for Atmanirbhar Bharat
- Commerce Minister Piyush Goyal stated the government is aiming to cover the nation’s length and breadth in optic fibres within the next two years. Mr Goyal stated digital is the way forward.
- Inaugurating CII National Digital conference on Ease of Doing Business for Atmanirbhar Bharat, the Minister emphasized that slowly but surely a single window concept will be achieved. He urged both industry and government to work as partners and industry will have to play a proactive role in helping the government identify the tax evaders.
- The Minister stated that he is dedicated to policy simplification and asked for industry’s feedback in areas where policy stability is possible.
- The Minister stated that business is bouncing back in the country and restrictions were temporary and are now being eased. He highlighted that during Covid situation, the country’s services sector continued to serve global clients. Mr Goyal emphasized that covid is the wake up call for understanding the importance of Atmanirbhar Bharat and Digital India.
About Ministry of Commerce and Industry:
- Piyush Goyal, Cabinet Minister
- Constituency: Maharashtra
- Hardeep Singh Puri, Minister of State
- Som Parkash, Minister of State
ITBP to get Khadi commission products
- The Indo-Tibetan Border Police (ITBP) signed an agreement with The Khadi and Village Industries Commission (KVIC) to get supplies from the Commission.
- The ITBP has become the first force among the Central Armed Police Forces (CAPFs) to sign such an agreement to promote Swadeshi products. Home Minister Amit Shah has already stated that all CAPFs will buy only Swadeshi products made in India.
- It was decided during a meeting held at the Ministry of Home Affairs (MHA) of the Directors General of the CAPFs in October 2019 that the use of Terry Khadi Uniform and other items of swadeshi origin should be made available to the CAPFs, ITBP stated.
- The ITBP had suggested that durrie, blankets, towel, mustard oil, yoga kit, hospital bed sheets, pickles can be purchased for jawans of the force through KVIC.
- The procurement of three items in the first phase was identified that were durrie, towel, and blanket. The process of procuring these items is also on. For cotton durries, the ITBP has been identified as the nodal agency to procure it for CAPFs. ITBP will procure about 2.5 lakh durries for the CAPFs at a cost of Rs 17 crore, the ITBP stated.
About Khadi and Village Industries Commission:
- Headquarters: Mumbai
- Chairperson: Vinai Kumar Saxena
- Headquarters: New Delhi, India
- S S Deswal: Director General of ITBP
CURRENT AFFAIRS: INTERNATIONAL
New Supreme Court building in Mauritius ‘landmark project’ completed under India’s development partnership: MEA
- External Affairs Ministry stated the new Supreme Court building in Mauritius is another landmark project completed under India’s development partnership. Ministry spokesperson stated, this is an example of India’s ability to implement such projects in various parts of the world.
- He stated the project has been completed on schedule and at a cost below the initial estimates. India is making development partnerships that are marked by respect for partners, diversity, care for the future and sustainable development.
- Mr Srivastava stated, India’s development partnership footprint transcends the globe and includes successfully completed diverse projects like a major housing project in Sri Lanka, the Parliament building in Afghanistan, Mahatma Gandhi Convention Centre in Niger and improvement in health services through the emergency and trauma hospital in Nepal.
- Prime minister: Pravind Jugnauth
- Capital: Port Louis
- Currency: Mauritian rupee
Australia to make Google and Facebook pay for news content
- The Australian government stated it plans to give Google and Facebook three months to negotiate with Australian media businesses fair pay for news content.
- The government has released a draft mandatory code of conduct that aims to succeed where other countries have failed in making the global digital giants pay for news siphoned from commercial media companies.
- Treasurer Josh Frydenberg stated Google and Facebook would be the first digital platforms targeted by the proposed legislation but others could follow.
- If the U.S.-based platforms could not agree with the Australian media businesses on pricing after three months, arbitrators would be appointed to make a binding decision, the draft stated.
- As well as payment, the code covers issues including access to user data and transparency of algorithms used to rank and present media content.
- Breaches of the code could attract penalties of up to 10% of the platform’s annual turnover or a 10 million Australian dollar ($7.2 million) fine.
- Capital: Canberra
- Currency: Australian dollar
CURRENT AFFAIRS: BANKING AND FINANCE
AIIB plans to approve loans worth $3 billion over next 12 months for infra projects
- Beijing-based multilateral funding agency AIIB is looking to provide loans worth USD 3 billion for various large infrastructure projects, including Delhi and Meerut Rapid Rail, Mumbai Metro Rail and Chennai Peripheral Ring Road project, over the next 12 months.
- India is the largest borrower, which accounts for 25 percent of the total lending byAsian Infrastructure Investment Bank(AIIB) so far.
- The projects being considered for financing areDelhi-Meerut rapid rail corridor (USD 500 million), Haryana Bypass Link Railway (USD 400 million), Mumbai Metro Line V (USD 350 million) and Mumbai Urban Transport Project (USD 500 million).
- In Maharashtra alone, three projects of about USD 1.2 billion are under consideration, adding three road projects of Tamil Nadu including Chennai Peripheral Ring Road project worth USD 1.1 billion are at different stages of approval.
- AIIB has approved two loans of USD 500 million and USD 750 million, respectively.
- USD500 was towards building a resilient health system that can effectively treat COVID-19 patients and prevent its spread.
- USD 750 million-loan was approved to India to help the government strengthen its battle against the adverse impact of COVID-19 on poor and vulnerable households.
- Headquarters: Beijing, China
- President and Chairman: Jin Liqun
MobiKwik launches personal UPI payment link mpay.me
- FinTech company MobiKwik launched me– a UPI payment link service to send and receive money from any UPI payment app.
- Through mpay.me, users and merchants can set up a link using their mobile number to start receiving money.
- This single link created using me can be shared anywhere to send and receive money and will work seamlessly on mobile as well as desktop.
- me users will be able to generate their own mini personal payment gateways using their phone numbers and share it with anyone over chat, SMS, email etc. to collect payments. Payments can be made using this link through any UPI app – MobiKwik, GooglePay, PhonePe, Paytm etc
- CEO: BipinPreet Singh
- Headquarters location: Gurugram
- Headquarters: Mumbai
Craft Silicon, PayU announce strategic tie-up to advance digital loan repayment
- Craft Silicon, a global financial software solution provider, announces a strategic association with PayU, India’s online payment solutions provider.
- The strategic partnership aims at innovating and accelerating digital loan repayment solutions for small finance banks, micro-lending institutions and NBFCs.
- The joint official release mentioned that NBFCs, MFIs, and small finance institutions can now offer their customers easy loan repayment solutions on their own mobile applications or through consumer apps of their choice.
- Craft Silicon has enabled loan repayment in a safe and convenient manner for retail consumers. This has been achieved through Bharat Bill Payment System (BBPS) and payment gateway integration with PayU, as per the official release.
- The companies mentioned that the partnership focuses on redefining a secured digital payment platform. It also explores the hybrid possibilities of supporting both cash and cashless loan repayments.
- The companies noted that the association offers a consolidated settlement across multiple apps and payment gateway.
- Headquarters: Netherlands
- Laurent Le Moal: (CEO)
CURRENT AFFAIRS: BUSINESS AND ECONOMY
Sembcorp completes 800MW of SECI wind power projects
- Sembcorp Energy India Limited (SEIL), a wholly-owned subsidiary of Singapore-based Sembcorp Industries, announced the completion of its 800MW wind power projects awarded by the Solar Energy Corporation of India (SECI). With this, the private sector power generator’s renewable energy capacity in India touched 1730MW.
- With the full commissioning of its 300MW SECI 3 wind project, Sembcorp became the first independent power producer to fully commission its projects awarded in the first three wind power auctions held by the SECI.
- This is also the largest operational wind capacity with any developer to date from SECI auctions, the company stated at a virtual ceremony. Under the first SECI auction, Sembcorp installed 250 MW of wind power capacity in Thoothukudi, Tamil Nadu and a further 250 MW and 300 MW under subsequent auctions in Bhuj, Gujarat. The company stated its total wind farm area covers 2,606 sq km, more than one and a half times the size of Delhi and supplies power to seven states.
- Sembcorp’s SECI 3 project is the first in the country to install 2.1MW G122-127m wind turbines which are designed to work efficiently even at low wind speeds. The wind turbine generators used in Sembcorp’s SECI 1 and 2 projects are also of 2.1MW capacity and are well suited to a variety of climatic conditions.
- CEO: Neil McGregor
- Headquarters: Singapore
CURRENT AFFAIRS: STATES
Indian Railways installs automatic lighting systems at three railways stations in Madhya Pradesh
- In a unique step towards energy conservation, the Indian Railways has recently installed automatic lighting systems at three railways stations in Madhya Pradesh. Officials informed that the Railways plan to scale up the project to cover more stations on its network.
- Railways have installed these automatic lighting systems at Jabalpur, Narsinghpur and Bhopal railways stations of Madhya Pradesh, which fall under the West Central Railway zone.
- Chief Public Relations Officer of West Central Railway Priyanka Dixit informed that the automatic lighting system at railways stations is controlling the lighting at these stations in tandem with the arrival and departure of trains.
- As soon as trains will arrive at the railway station, the lights of the platform will light up automatically at 100 percent capacity and as soon as the train leaves, 50 percent lights on the stations will turn off. Due to this, more than 100 units of electricity are being saved daily at big stations like Bhopal and Jabalpur, which will lead to money-saving.
About Madhya Pradesh:
- Governor: Anandiben Patel,(Additional Charge)
- Chief Minister: Shivraj Singh Chouhan (BJP)
- Capital: Bhopal
IT industry, Cyberabad cops to launch Sanghamitras
- The Society for Cyberabad Security Council (SCSC) and Cyberabad Police will launch Sanghamitra. A friend of community, each of the Sanghamitras will lend a helping hand to those in the distress and provide them with immediate help.
- “Sangamitra as the name suggests is a trusted friend and guide to ensure a safer community,” VC Sajjanar, Commissioner of Police of Cyberabad, has stated in a statement.
- The SCSC is a collaborative effort with Cyberabad police and other stakeholders in the IT hub area to ensure smooth functioning of the IT industry. The SCSC, with representatives from all the stakeholders, provides a platform to exchange of views and sharing info on roadblocks so that a quick solution is found.
- The friends of communities are equipped with information and knowledge of law. They can provide information on how to seek and get professional help,” Krishna Yedula, General Secretary of SCSC, has stated.
- “He or she is a readily available person who can be contacted in times of distress. They will act as the bridge between the community members and the police. They will have info on helplines, contacts of shelter homes and counselors,” he stated.
Pawan Hans Launches First UDAN-RCS Service In Uttarakhand
- Flagging off the first helicopter service by Pawan Hans in Uttarakhand under the UDAN-RCS scheme, Hardeep Singh Puri, MoS, I/C, Civil Aviation stated that launch of the heli service and opening of these new routes will bring people of the state closer and support tourism in the region.
- This service will enable connectivity between Dehradun, New Tehri, Srinagar and Gauchar. Pradeep Singh Kharola, Secretary, MoCA: Usha Padhee, Joint Secretary, MoCA; Sanjeev Razdan, CMD, Pawan Hans were present during the virtual flag-off ceremony in New Delhi. The route was simultaneously inaugurated by Trivendra Singh Rawat, Chief Minister of Uttarakhand from the state.
- Commencement of the new heli services will enhance the aerial connectivity between hilly regions in Uttarakhand and bring down the average travel time to 20-25 minutes. This will also assist the Chaar Dhaam Yatra pilgrims.
- Two more networks connecting Dehradun to Ramnagar, Pantnagar, Nainital, Almora, Pithoragarh, and Dehradun to Mussoorie will also be operationalized soon by Pawan Hans Ltd.
About pawan hans:
- Headquarters: Noida, India
- Chairman and Managing Director: Sanjeev Razdan
Kerala plans to provide tap connections to all rural households by 2023
- Kerala govt has planned to provide tap connections to every rural household by 2023. Out of total 67.15 lakh rural households, the state is making efforts to achieve the target of 21.42 lakh FHTCs in 2020-21. In 2019-20, against a target of 10.10 lakh rural households, state could provide tap connections to only 85,476 households.
- Union Minister of Jal Shakti, Gajendra Singh Shekhawat held discussion with Kerala Chief Minister Pinarayi Vijayan regarding implementation of Jal Jeevan Mission in the state through video conferencing .
- The flagship programme aims to provide household tap connections in rural areas of the country with focus on improving the lives of people. Potable water in adequate quantity and of prescribed quality to be provided to every rural household on regular and long-term basis, for which the Jal Jeevan Mission (JJM) is under implementation in partnership with States.
- Kerala CM was requested to launch a ‘special campaign’ to provide tap connection to every such household in next 3-4 months, so that ‘no one is left out’.
- Capital: Thiruvananthapuram
- Chief minister: Pinarayi Vijayan
- Governor: Arif Mohammad Khan
CURRENT AFFAIRS: MOU
CSIR, UBA-IIT Delhi & Vijnana Bharati signs tripartite MoU
- Unnat Bharat Abhiyan-Indian Institute of Technology, Delhi (UBA-IITD) and Vijnana Bharti (VIBHA), New Delhi has signed a tripartite MoU with The signed MoU will offer access to CSIR rural technologies for UBA.
- It will also lay the foundation for cooperation as well as joint action in the area of Unnat Bharat Abhiyan (UBA) for rural development of India.
- Unnat Bharat Abhiyan (UBA) is Ministry of Human Resource Development (MHRD)’s flagship national program which aims to bring the transformational change in rural development processes by enabling knowledge institutions to help build the architecture of an inclusive India.
- The MoU will also result in effective coordination between CSIR, IIT Delhi, and Vijnana Bharti (Vibha) in order to meet the objectives of the Unnat Bharat Abhiyan.
- Director General: Shekhar C. Mande
- HQ: New Delhi
CURRENT AFFAIRS: SUMMITS AND CONFERENCE
6th BRICS Environment Ministers Meeting
- Representing India at the 6th BRICS Environment Ministers’ Meeting, Union Environment Minister, Prakash Javadekar, stated that India attaches great importance to the grouping.
- In order to attain sustainable development goals, India offered to help and showcases all the best practices in environmental management in BRICS countries.
- Union Minister Prakash Javadekar also elaborated on the efforts made by India in areas relating to sustainable urban management, tackling marine litter, air pollution and the cleaning of rivers. Highlighting the efforts made by India in controlling Air pollution Union Minister stated that in 2015 India launched the Air Quality index monitoring in 10 cities, and today it has been extended to 122 cities.
- He also informed that India in 2019 launched the National Clean Air Programme, the goal of which is to reduce particulate pollution by 20-30 percent relative to 2017 levels by 2024.
- The Environment Ministers of the five BRICS countries participated via video conference under the presidency of Russia. Union Minister Prakash Javadekar stated that India believes that Equity, Common but differentiated responsibilities, finance and technology partnerships are key pillars towards attainment of global goals of climate change mitigation and adaptation and India is walking the talk on Paris Agreement and its Climate commitments.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: BOOKS AND AUTHORS
Dr. Harsh Vardhan releases book on Standard Treatment Guidelines for of Substance Use Disorders (SUD) and Behavioral Addictions
- Harsh Vardhan, Union Minister of Health and Family Welfare released the e-book titled “Standard Treatment Guidelines for the Management of Substance Use Disorders and Behavioural Addictions” that aims to tackle substance abuse and behavioral addiction in the country.
- Substance Use Disorder as a growing public health problem, especially among youth and adolescents, such problems will become more rampant as society adopts modern lifestyle.
- Behavioural addictions like gambling, shopping, cyber-relational and cyber-sexual addictions including over-involvement in online relationship and pornography and addiction to online games has been included in the standard treatment guidelines.
- The Guidelines are also available through the digital library of resources, available at:http://books.vknnimhans.in/books/jllx/#p=1.
- Preeti Sudan, Health Secretary, Shri Rajesh Bhushan, OSD (HFW) and senior officials of the Ministry were also present. Dr. Rakesh Chadda, HoD, NDDTC, AIIMS, New Delhi, Dr. BN Gangadhar, Director, NIMHANS, Bengaluru and contributors to the book.
Matthew McConaughey writing ‘Greenlights,’ a book based on his life-changing adventures
- The Oscar-winner Matthew McConaughey to announce the publication of his upcoming book,Greenlights (Crown Publishing), inspired by his personal writings that he’s done throughout his life.
- The actor known for films Dallas Buyers Club and Magic Mike will draw upon a diary he has kept for 35 years.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY
Iran Launches Underground Ballistic Missiles During Exercise
- Iran’s paramilitary Revolutionary Guard launched underground ballistic missiles as part of an exercise involving a mock-up American aircraft carrier in the Strait of Hormuz.
- Iranian commandos fast-roped down from a helicopter onto the replica in the footage aired from the exercise called “Great Prophet 14.” Anti-aircraft guns opened fire on a target drone near the port city of Bandar Abbas.
- Capital– Tehran
- Currency– Iranian Rial
CURRENT AFFAIRS: DEFENCE
5 Rafale jets land at IAF Ambala air base
- Five Rafale jets, the first of the 36 contracted by India, landed at the Ambala air base.
- The fighter jet, to be inducted into the Indian Air Force’s ‘Golden Arrow’ squadron, is the first imported fighter jet to be inducted into the IAF in 23 years after the Russian Sukhoi-30 fighters.
- The first Su-30 entered IAF service in June 1997.
- The French-manufactured Rafale multi-role combat jets covered a distance of nearly 7,000 km and were escorted by two Sukhoi 30 MKIs after they entered the Indian air space.
- This is the first batch from a contingent of 36 Rafale jets from French aerospace major Dassault Aviation as part of aRs 59,000-crore deal signed by the government on September 23, 2016. The planes are expected to give a mega-boost to India’s air power amid tensions with China and Pakistan.
- The Ambala air base has two squadrons of the Jaguar combat aircraft and one squadron of the MIG-21 Bison.
About Indian Air Force (IAF)
- Chief of the Air Staff (CAS)– Rakesh Kumar Singh Bhadauria
- Headquarters– New Delhi
CURRENT AFFAIRS: RANKING
Chhattisgarh’s Bijapur tops Niti’s aspirational districts ranking for Feb-June 2020
- Bijapur district in Chhattisgarh has topped the list of aspirational districts ranked by government think-tank NitiAayogfor the February-June 2020 period.
- Ri-Bhoi (Meghalaya) and Bahraich (Uttar Pradesh) have been placed at the second and third positions
- The delta rankings took into account incremental progress made by over 112 aspirational districts across six developmental areas during February-June this year.
- Health and nutrition, education, agriculture and water resources, financial inclusion, skill development and basic infrastructure were the development areas that were taken into consideration for the ranking.
- The aspirational districts programme, launched in January 2018, aims to transform districts that have shown relatively lesser progress in key social areas and have emerged as pockets of under-development.
About NITI Aayog
- Headquarters: New Delhi
- Chairperson: Narendra Modi
- Vice Chairman: Rajiv Kumar
CURRENT AFFAIRS: SPORTS
Harikrishna finishes 2nd at Biel Chess Festival
- Indian Grandmaster P Harikrishna finished second in the rapid section of the 53rd Biel International Chess Festival in Switzerland.
- The World No. 26 scored 10 points, two less than RadoslawWojtaszek of Poland, who finished on
- Earlier, the Indian GM had finished on top in the ACCENTUS Chess 960 tournament, with 5.5 points.
- The Biel Chess Festival, the first major event to be played over the board amid the COVID-19 pandemic, is being organised by adhering to all health protocols.
England wins Wisden Trophy
- England beat the West Indies by 269 runs to claim a series-clinching win in the third Test at Old Trafford.
- They regain the Wisden Trophy because they lost in the Caribbean last year.
- England paceman Stuart Broad became just the seventh bowler to take 500 Test wickets.
- Stuart Broad picked up both the Man of the Match and the Player of the Series award
CURRENT AFFAIRS: OBITUARY
West Bengal Congress president Somendranath Mitra passes away
- West Bengal Congress Committee president Somendranath Mitra passed away.
- Somen Mitra as he was often referred to, took charge of West Bengal Congress in 2018. He played a crucial role in forging an electoral understanding of Left parties and Congress in the 2019 Lok Sabha polls.
Maidan coach Ashok Mustafi passes away
- Veteran Maidan coach Ashok Mustafi, who also trained former India captain and BCCI president SouravGanguly during his formative years, passed away after a prolonged illness.
- He was the coach of famous Dukhiram Cricket Coaching Centre which came into being under the Aryan Club galleries.
Malayalam actor Anil Murali passes away
- Malayalam actor Anil Murali, who made his mark through villain roles, passed away in Kochi. He was 51.
- Some of his other movies include Ivar, Lion, Babakalyani, Nasrani, PuthiyaMukham, Pokkiri Raja, City of God, Amen, IyobintePushthakam, Joseph to name a few. His Tamil films include Nimirndhu Nil and ThaniOruvan.
Padma Shri awardee Sonam Tshering Lepcha dies at 92
- Folk musician and Padma Shri awardee Sonam Tshering Lepcha passed away at Kalimpong due to old age ailments, his family sources stated.
- He was 92. He passed away due to age-old ailments in Kalimpong. He suffered a cardiac arrest. He started his career as a soldier. He travelled to various parts of Sikkim and complied a wide range of Indian folk and traditional Lepcha songs and played folk music on All India Radio in 1960.
- He was awarded the Padma Shri for his contribution in the field of folk music.
DAILY CA 30th JUL
- The Centre would develop Leh and Kargil as smart cities in newly-formed UT of Ladakh
- Namami Gange project included in ‘Prime Minister’s Awards for Excellence in Public Administration’
- Cabinet approves MoU signed between India & Zimbabwe on Traditional Systems of Medicine
- Govt Unveils Amended Draft Acquisition Procedure for Defence Products
- Govt Releases Guidelines For Schemes To Boost Domestic Manufacturing Of Bulk Drugs, Med Devices
- India begins reconstruction of 300-year-old Sree Sree Joy Kali Matar Temple in Bangladesh
- India hands over 10 broad-gauge diesel locomotives to Bangladesh
- Axis Bank launches AI-powered conversational voice BOT for IVR
- Flipkart launches hyperlocal delivery service in Bengaluru
- Sundaram Mutual launches ‘Any-day SIP’
- BANDICOOT’: Guwahati gets Northeast’s first manhole cleaning robot
- Kerala announces new Entrepreneurship Development Programme
- Tamil Nadu Chief Minister K Palaniswami lays foundation for Rs 2,368 worth projects
- Green J&K Drive-2020 begins in Ramnagar Wildlife Sanctuary of Jammu
- JSW Energy set to acquire GMR’s Odisha thermal plant
- Microsoft launches new Family Safety app for iOS and Android
- Paytm Money appoints Varun Sridhar as new CEO
- B Ramesh Babu assumes charge as MD, CEO of Karur Vysya Bank
- Avni Doshi, an Indian-origin author, on 2020 Booker Prize longlist for debut novel
- MoES National Awards for excellence in Earth System Science Announced
- Medical bed isolation system ‘Aashray’ launched to combat Covid-19
- CSIO-AMESYS INDIA develops decontamination box ‘Suraksha’
- IIT-Hyderabad develops electrodes from corn husk
- NASA set to launch robotic rover to seek signs of past Martian life
- PFC ties up with IIT-Kanpur for research, training in smart grid technology
- Agartala ranks no. 1 among 10 smart cities of Northeast India
- Microsoft, Samsung ranked India’s most attractive employer brands by Randstad Research
- Veteran All-Rounder Rajat Bhatia Announces Retirement From All Forms Of Cricket
- Former Puducherry MLA and NR Congress leader V Bhalan passes away of COVID-19
- Justice Sanjay Gupta passes away
DAILY CA 31st JUL
- World day against trafficking in persons- jul 30th
- International Day of Friendship- jul 30th
- HRD Ministry renamed as Ministry of Education
- Ayush Minister launches dedicated Web-Portal for National AYUSH Mission
- MoD with MyGov conducts quiz competition on ‘Atmanirbhar Bharat – Swatantra Bharat’
- Piyush Goyal inaugurates CII National Digital conference on Ease of Doing Business for Atmanirbhar Bharat
- ITBP to get Khadi commission products
- New Supreme Court building in Mauritius ‘ landmark project’ completed under India’s development partnership: MEA
- Australia to make Google and Facebook pay for news content
- AIIB plans to approve loans worth $3 billion over next 12 months for infra projects
- MobiKwik launches personal UPI payment link mpay.me
- Craft Silicon, PayU announce strategic tie-up to advance digital loan repayment
- Sembcorp completes 800MW of SECI wind power projects
- Indian Railways installs automatic lighting systems at three railways stations in Madhya Pradesh
- IT industry, Cyberabad cops to launch Sanghamitras
- Pawan Hans Launches First UDAN-RCS Service In Uttarakhand
- Kerala plans to provide tap connections to all rural households by 2023
- CSIR, UBA-IIT Delhi & Vijnana Bharati signs tripartite MoU
- 6th BRICS Environment Ministers Meeting
- Harsh Vardhan releases book on Standard Treatment Guidelines for of Substance Use Disorders (SUD) and Behavioral Addictions
- Matthew McConaughey writing ‘Greenlights,’ a book based on his life-changing adventures
- Iran Launches Underground Ballistic Missiles During Exercise
- 5 Rafale jets land at IAF Ambala air base
- Chhattisgarh’s Bijapur tops Niti’s aspirational districts ranking for Feb-June 2020
- Harikrishna finishes 2nd at Biel Chess Festival
- England wins Wisden Trophy
- West Bengal Congress president Somendranath Mitra passes away
- Maidan coach Ashok Mustafi passes away
- Malayalam actor Anil Muralipasses away
- Padma Shri awardee Sonam Tshering Lepcha dies at 92