Dear Readers, Daily Current Affairs News Updates about the National and International events were listed here. Read Current Affairs here and stay updated with current news. Candidates those who are preparing for IBPS/SBI/PO/Clerk exam and all other competitive exams can use this and try Current Affairs Quiz to test your knowledge level.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: DAYS
International Jazz Day
- International Jazz Dayis celebrated every year on 30 April.
- The day aims to create awareness around the world of the virtues of jazz as a force of peace, unity, dialogue, and enhanced cooperation among people, and an educational tool.
- Amid COVID-19 pandemic, the day has been decided to be celebrated virtually. The online celebration of International Jazz Day 2020 will be hosted byHerbie Hancock. The virtual Global Concert featuring artists from different parts of the world will Livestream on com.
- International Jazz Day is an International Day declared by the United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization in 2011
International Labour Day or May Day
- International Labour Day is also known as Labour Day or May Day. It is celebrated globally every year on 1st May.
- In India, Labour Day is referred as Antarrashtriya Shramik Diwas or Kamgar Din.
- International Workers‘ MemorialDay 2020 theme is the Coronavirus
- As the world is currently facing the coronavirus pandemic, TUC, the Trade Union Health, has marked it as atheme this year.
- The pandemic has affected and is still affecting manyworkers regardless of sector or locality.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: NATIONAL
Nitin Gadkari launches bank of schemes, ideas, innovation & research portal on MSMEs
- Micro, Small and Medium Enterprises, MSME Minister Nitin Gadkari launched bank of schemes, ideas, innovation and Research portal – http://ideas.msme.gov.in on MSMEs. The portal gives access to all schemes of Union, States and Union Territory Governments and has the provision for uploading ideas, innovations and researches in the sector.
- It has unique features of not only crowd sourcing of ideas, but also evaluation and rating the ideas by crowd sourcing. It can also facilitate inflow of venture capital, and foreign collaboration. Besides, the portal will benefit the potential entrepreneurs as one stop compendium of ideas, innovation and research ready for commercialization.
- Launching the portal through video conferencing from Nagpur, Mr Gadkari stated that this portal will prove to be of great transformational significance to economy in general and the MSMEs in particular.
- He also suggested that category-wise classification and analysis of information and the achievements which may be published so that others can learn and take lessons from successful experiences. He stressed upon the need for conversion of knowledge into wealth.
- The Minister also stated that there is a need for greater work on Research, Technology, Innovation which can bring down cost and improve quality.
- Minister of State for MSME Pratap Chandra Sarangi stated this portal will help the MSMEs in a big way through information sharing.
About MSME Ministry:
- Nitin Gadkari : Union Minister
- Constituency : Nagpur, Maharashtra
- Pratap Chandra Sarangi, Minister of State
CURRENT AFFAIRS: INTERNATIONAL
Japan to Support ADB Developing Member Countries’ Response to COVID-19 Challenges
- The Asian Development Bank (ADB) has provided several targeted interventions to support its developing member countries (DMCs) in combating the effects of the novel coronavirus disease (COVID-19) pandemic from its early stages.
- In support of ADB’s effort, the Government of Japan is committed to providing emergency support of $150 million through the Japan Fund for Poverty Reduction (JFPR) and the Asia Pacific Disaster Response Fund (APDRF) to help DMCs strengthen their capacity to contain the spread of COVID-19.
- Following a $6.5 billion initial package, ADB announced on 13 April to triple the size of its response by adding $13.5 billion in resources to help its DMCs counter the severe macroeconomic and health impacts caused by COVID-19. The $20 billion package includes about $2.5 billion in concessional and grant resources. Japan’s contribution is on top of the package.
- ADB is committed to achieving a prosperous, inclusive, resilient, and sustainable Asia and the Pacific, while sustaining its efforts to eradicate extreme poverty. Established in 1966, it is owned by 68 members—49 from the region.
About Asian Development Bank:
- Headquarters: Mandaluyong, Philippines
- President: Masatsugu Asakawa
CURRENT AFFAIRS: BANKING AND FINANCE
Fintech firm HAPPY launches ‘Lockdown Loan’ to tide over Covid-19 crisis
- HAPPY, a machine learning-based MSME digital lender, has launched the ‘lockdown loan’. The company came up with the initiative as it believes that the global coronavirus outbreak has also impacted about one-fourth of India’s 69 million MSMEs at present and the lending will help the affected microenterprises with seamless liquidity access.
- The company stated that the digital credit facility is developed to address the working capital woes of Indian micro enterprises during the lockdown period. It claimed that it will empower borrowers with easy capital access to 25,000 and Rs.50,000 with bullet repayment after 6 months.
- The ML-based lender has further strengthened the offering with Covid-19 protection insurance, wherein a full loan waiver is extended to the coronavirus infected.
- The digital lending platform further stated that it has proactively interacted with nearly 300 MSMEs via a survey to understand their sentiments and pain points. The Lockdown Loan was designed and developed basis the survey results to empower the micro-entrepreneurs during these difficult times.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: STATES
Delhi police Commissioner launches initiative Ayuraksha- ‘Corona se jung – Delhi Police ke sang’
- Delhi police Commissioner S N Shrivastava launched Ayuraksha- ‘Corona se jung – Delhi Police ke sang’, a joint initiative by Delhi Police and All India Institute of Ayurveda, Ministry of AYUSH. The Ayurveda institute will maintain the health of front line COVID warriors like Delhi Police personnel through Ayurveda Immunity boosting measures. It will be implemented in a phase wise manner. The distribution will take place for nearly 80 thousand personnel of Delhi Police across 15 districts.
- He stated around 50 police personnel have been hit by this virus as their duties require presence in the general public, including vulnerable places like hospitals, containment zones and quarantine centres.
- He expressed his gratitude to Ministry of AYUSH for this unique initiative which will help policemen to keep themselves safe and secure from this virus. Immunity Booster Kits were distributed to Delhi Police Personnel on this occasion
- Chief minister: Arvind Kejriwal
- Governor: Anil Baijal
Sikkim CM launches portal to gather public feedback and suggestions on govt schemes
- Sikkim Chief Minister Prem Singh Tamang launched the sikkimgovtfeedback.org portal developed by the state Information and Public relations (IPR) Department to gather public feedback and suggestions on government schemes and general administration at Gangtok.
- Mr Tamang stated that the mechanism established through the portal would ensure transparency in functioning of the government by providing an interface with the people.
- Inputs received from the public will be documented and screened by officials for further forwarding to respective departments for necessary action.
- Capital: Gangtok
- Chief minister: Prem Singh Tamang
- Governor :Ganga Prasad
AP government to release Rs.905 crore in dues to MSMEs, waive power charges for April, May
- The Andhra Pradesh government has waived the minimum power charges for all micro, small and medium enterprises (MSMEs) for April and May in view of the lockdown.
- The government has also stated it will release all pending dues to MSMEs which have not been paid from 2014-15, amounting to 905 crore, in two tranches. In addition, Rs.200 crore will be provided as input capital to the firms at low-interest rates.
- These decisions were taken by Chief Minister YS Jagan Mohan Reddy in a review meeting on MSMEs held in Amaravati.
- With these decisions, over 72,531 micro enterprises and 24,252 small and 645 medium scale industries are going to be benefited, which would eventually create employment for about 9,68,269 people, stated the release. The State government will support the textile industry and other enterprises based on the Centre’s decisions, it added.
About Andhra Pradesh :
- Governor: Biswabhusan Harichandan
- Chief minister: Y. S. Jaganmohan Reddy
- Capital: Amaravati
CURRENT AFFAIRS: APPS AND PORTALS
Over 325000 people are using “Janaushadhi Sugam” Mobile App to access Janaushadhi kendras
- Due to COVID-19 crisis Janaushadhi Sugam Mobile App is helping people in a big way to locate their nearest Pradhan Mantri Bharatiya Janaushadhi Kendra (PMJAK) and availability of affordable generic medicine with its price.
- Over 325000 people are using Janaushadhi Sugam Mobile App to avail the host of benefits provided by it.
- This mobile application for Pradhan Mantri Bhartiya Janaushadhi Pariyojana (PMBJP)has been developed by Bureau of Pharma PSUs of India (BPPI) under Department of Pharmaceuticals , Ministry of Chemicals and Fertilizers,Government of India.
- Janaushadhi Sugam Mobile App is available on both Android & I-phone platforms. It can be downloaded free of cost by the user from Google Play Store and Apple Store.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: APPOINTMENTS AND RESIGNATIONS
Former Axis Bank CEO Shikha Sharma named advisor to Google Pay India
- Google Pay India named Shikha Sharma, former Axis Bank CEO, as an advisor to digital payments app.
- Google Pay has been leading UPI Payments adoption in India.
- During the ongoing lockdown, Google launched its “Nearby Spot” to help users in Bengaluru find local stores selling essentials like groceries that are open, amid the lockdown.
- The Nearby Spot will be launched in Hyderabad, Chennai, Mumbai, Pune, and Delhi soon, Google has stated at the time.
About Google Pay India
- Launched in India- August 28, 2018 (UPI based, previously known as Tez release date August 17, 2017)
- MD and Business Head – Sajith Sivanandan
- Headquarter- Gurugram, Haryana
Suresh K Reddy is India’s new ambassador to Brazil
- Shri Suresh K. Reddy , presently Additional Secretary in the Ministry, has been appointed as the next Ambassador of India to the Federative Republic of Brazil.
- An IFS officer of 1991 batch. He is expected to take up the assignment shortly.
About Brazil :
- Capital: Brasilia
- President: Jair Bolsonaro
- Currency: Brazilian real
Atsushi Ogata appointed as President, MD and CEO of HMSI
- Japanese auto major Honda Motor Co stated it has appointed Atsushi Ogata as new President, Chief Executive Officer (CEO) and Managing Director (MD) of Honda Motorcycle & Scooter India (HMSI) with immediate effect.
- Ogata replaces Minoru Kato, who after a three year stint at HMSI returns to Japan as the operating executive & chief officer life creation operation, Honda Motor Co, it stated.
- The company stated it has elevated V Sridhar (earlier GVP & Director — Manufacturing, HMSI) as senior director — purchase, HMSI.
- Besides, Yadvinder Singh Guleria and Vinay Dhingra are now elevated to the board of directors at HMSI, the company stated.
- Guleria as the new director, HMSI, now has greater responsibilities with additional charge of customer service, logistics planning and control, premium motorcycle business, brand and communication along with sales and marketing.
- He was previously the Senior Vice – President – Sales & Marketing, HMSI.
- Headquarters : Minato, Tokyo, Japan
- Toshiaki Mikoshiba : chairman
Jacqueline Hughes takes charge as Director-General of ICRISAT
- Jacqueline d’Arros Hughes, a plant health expert, has taken charge as Director-General of the Hyderabad-based International Crops Research Institute for the Semi-Arid Tropics (ICRISAT).
- She succeeds Peter Carberry, who has returned to Australia after completing his term. Hughes, however, assumed office from the Philippines during a virtual event as she could not travel to Hyderabad due to travel restrictions.
- The virtual event was attended by ICRISAT staff and the Governing Board.
- With a Doctoral degree in microbiology and virology, Hughes, a British national, moved to Ghana in the early 1990s to work with the Cocoa Research Institute and then at the International Institute of Tropical Agriculture (IITA) in Nigeria. She later joined the World Vegetable Centre in Taiwan as its Deputy Director General – Research.
- Before taking up the ICRISAT role, Hughes was Deputy Director General–Research at the International Rice Research Institute (IRRI) in the Philippines.
About International Crops Research Institute for the Semi-Arid Tropics (ICRISAT).
- The International Crops Research Institute for the Semi-Arid Tropics (ICRISAT) is an international organization which conducts agricultural research for rural development, headquartered in Patancheru (Hyderabad, Telangana, India) with several regional centers (Bamako (Mali), Nairobi (Kenya)) and research stations (Niamey (Niger), Kano (Nigeria), Lilongwe (Malawi), Addis Ababa (Ethiopia), Bulawayo (Zimbabwe)).
- It was founded in 1972 by a consortium of organisations convened by the Ford and the Rockefeller foundations. Its charter was signed by the FAO and the UNDP.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: AWARDS AND HONOURS
Manipuri Doctor Conferred ‘Order of Rising Sun’ by Japan
- Thangjam Dhabali Singh from Manipur has been conferred the ‘Order of Rising Sun’ by the Japan government for promoting a better understanding of Japan in India and deepening ties between the two countries.
- The ‘Order of the Rising Sun’ is conferred on persons with achievements in international relations, promotion of Japanese culture, environmental preservation, welfare or achievements in their fields. It was constituted by Japanese Emperor Meiji in 1875.
- Thangjam Dhabali Singh, an allopathic doctor by profession and founder of the Manipur Tourism Forum (MTF), was conferred the ‘Order of Rising Sun – Gold and Silver Rays’ by the Japan government.
- Singh had organised the 70th anniversary of the Battle of Imphal of the Second World War. Several Japanese citizens, including officials from the Embassy of Japan in India, had participated in the event.
- Capital– Tokyo.
- Currency– yen.
- Prime Minister (PM)– Shinzo Abe.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY
Alabama teen names NASA’s pioneering Mars Helicopter “Ingenuity”
- NASA’s Mars Helicopter Ingenuity will be the first aircraft to fly in a controlled way on another planet.
- Vaneeza Rupani, a junior at Tuscaloosa County High School in Northport, Alabama, came up with the name and the motivation behind it during NASA’s “Name the Rover” essay contest.
- The ingenuity and brilliance of people working hard to overcome the challenges of interplanetary travel are what allow us all to experience the wonders of space exploration.
- Ingenuity is what allows people to accomplish amazing things, and it allows us to expand our horizons to the edges of the universe.
- The helicopter successfully completed its flight-testing program using the 25-foot space simulation chamber at NASA’s Jet Propulsion Laboratory in Southern California. The next flight attempt will be in the actual environment of Mars.
- Headquarters: Washington, D.C., United States
- Founder: Dwight D. Eisenhower
- Founded: 29 July 1958, United States
- Present Administrator- Jim Bridenstine
Microwave steriliser developed to disintegrate COVID-19
- Defence Institute of Advanced Technology, Pune has developed a microwave steriliser named as ATULYA to disintegrate COVID-19.
- The virus gets disintegrated by differential heating in the range of 56 degree to 60 degree Celsius temperatures.
- Defence Ministry stated, the product is cost effective solution, which can be operated in portable or fixed installations. This system was tested for human and operator safety and has been found to be safe.
- Depending upon size and shape of various objects, time of sterilisation is from 30 seconds to one minute. The approximate weight of the system is three kilogrammes and it can be used for non-metallic objects only.
About Defence Institute of Advanced Technology
- Defence Institute of Advanced Technology (DIAT) is the Premier Deemed University under the Department of Defence Research & Development, Ministry of Defence, Government of India.
- Founded: 1952
- Chancellor: Rajnath Singh
- Vice-Chancellor: Dr. CP Ramnarayanan
CURRENT AFFAIRS: BOOKS AND AUTHORS
The Room Where It Happened: A White House Memoir by John Bolton
- The Room Where It Happened: A White House Memoir is an upcoming memoir by John Bolton, who served as national security adviser for U.S. President Donald Trump. It is Published by Simon & Schuster.
- The date of the book release has been pushed back from May 12, 2020 to June 23, 2020, on com and Barnes & Noble bookseller company.
About the author
- John Bolton is the former National Security Advisor to President Donald Trump. He served as the United States Ambassador to the United Nations from 2005 to 2006. He has spent many years of his career in public service and held high-level positions in the Administrations of Presidents Ronald Reagan, George H. W. Bush, and George W. Bush
CURRENT AFFAIRS: RANKING
Chhattisgarh tops among other states in providing employment to workers under MGNREGS
- Chhattisgarh has topped the list of states in providing employment to over 18 lakh unskilled labourers under the Mahatma Gandhi National Rural Employment Guarantee Scheme (MGNREGS).
- Around 77.85 lakh people are engaged in different work under the scheme across the country.
- The national participation of the workers working in the state is 24 per cent, which is the highest in the country.
- Rajnandgaon, Janjgir-Champa and Mahasamund districts of Chhattisgarh are at the top in terms of maximum employment to MGNREGS workers at the state level.
- Rajasthan has provided employment to 79 lakh workers under the rural employment guarantee scheme and Uttar Pradesh is at third position with around 9.06 lakh workers engaged by it.
- Mahatma Gandhi Employment Guarantee Act 2005, is an Indian labour law and social security measure that aims to guarantee the ‘right to work’. This act was passed in September 2005.
- MGNREGA is the largest social security scheme in the world guaranteeing 100 days of unskilled manual work to all rural households in India. The work is usually on projects to build durable assets like roads, canals, ponds and wells.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: SPORTS
Sania Mirza Becomes First Indian To Get Nominated For Fed Cup Heart Award
- Indian tennis star Sania Mirza became the first Indian to be nominated for the Fed Cup Heart Award from the Asia/Oceania zone along with Indonesia’s Priska Medelyn Nugrorho.
- Sania had recently made a comeback to Fed Cup after four years. With her 18-month son Izhaan present in the stands, Sania had helped India qualify for the Play-offs for the first time.
- The winners of the Heart Awards will be determined by online voting by fans which will go live on May 1 and will go on until May 8.
- In Fed Cup Heart Award”s 11th edition this year, Anett Kontaveit (Estonia) and Eleonora Molinaro (Luxembourg) have been nominated from Europe/Africa zone while Fernanda Contreras Gomez of Mexico and Paraguay’s Veronica Cepede Royg have been nominated from the Americas.
ISL side FC Goa appoints Spaniard Juan Ferrando as new head coach
- FC Goa appointed Spaniard Juan Ferrando as the club’s new head coach for the upcoming Indian Super League (ISL) season and AFC Champions League campaign. A UEFA Pro License holder, Ferrando will replace Sergio Lobera, another Spaniard, who was sacked in January midway last season. Former India player and assistant coach Clifford Miranda was guiding the team till the end of the season.
- The Goan side had become the first Indian club to earn a direct berth in the group stage of the AFC Champions League after topping the league phase of the ISL.
- The 39-year-old began his career with the academy at RCD Espanyol before moving to Barcelona B. He then coached the likes of FC RICOH Premia, Terrassa CF and CE Hospitalet before moving to Malaga, to become the coach of the youth team.
- In England, he worked as the technical coach of Premier League stars like Cesc Fabregas, Robin Van Persie and Angel Rangel, among others.
PSG crowned Ligue 1 champions as season ended amid coronavirus crisis
- Paris St Germain have been awarded their seventh Ligue 1 title in eight years after the season was ended amid the COVID-19 crisis, the French League (LFP) stated .
- PSG had a comfortable 12-point lead over second-placed Olympique de Marseille when the season was suspended with 10 games left as part of French government’s measures to contain the spread of the novel coronavirus.
- With some clubs having played 27 games and others 28, the LFP drew the standings according to a performance index – the number of points per game weighed by head-to-head record.
- PSG therefore ended the season on 2.52 points with OM on 2 and third-placed Stade Rennais on 1.79.
- According to the standings, Marseille qualify for the Champions League group stage with Rennes going through a qualification playoff.
- The LFP also crowned Lorient as Ligue 2 champions in a conference call after the standings were frozen after all teams had played 28 matches.
- Lorient had 54 points after losing four of their last five games with Lens on 53, leaving third-placed AC Ajaccio (52) and fourth-placed Troyes (51) in Ligue 2.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: OBITUARY
Freedom Fighter Hema Bharali Passes Away
- Assam born freedom fighter and Padma Shri Hema Bharali passed away.
- Hema Bharali is an Indian freedom activist, social worker, Sarvodaya leader and Gandhian, known for her contributions for the empowerment of women and efforts towards the upliftment of the socially and financially challenged sections of the society.
Legendary footballer Chuni Goswami passes away at 82
- Legendary Footballer Chuni Goswami died in Kolkata after prolonged illness. He was 82. Chuni Goswami was the captain of gold medal winning Indian football team of Jakarta Asiad held in 1962. He was awarded Arjun , Padmashri and several others prestigious awards for his outstanding contributions in the field of Sports
- He received Mohonbagan Ratna awards in 2005 . The West Bengal Government conferred him the highest civilian award Banga Bibhusan in 2013 . Chuni Goswami was captain of Bengal Ranji Cricket team. He was also Sheriff of Kolkata.
DAILY CA 30th APR
- International Dance Day- 29th april
- Ayushman Bharat Diwas- 30th april
- US provides additional $ 3 million to India to fight Covid-19
- US Navy to host world’s largest maritime exercises in Hawaii again this year
- ADB gives $ 346 mn loan for power sector in rural Maharashtra
- NHB provides liquidity boost through 10,000-cr special refinance facility
- KVGB loan scheme for Covid-19-affected MSME borrowers
- World Bank approves USD 400 million to enhance India’s coastal resources
- MyGov, VMate collaborates to disperse information on Covid-19
- Maruti joins hands with AgVA Healthcare to supply 10,000 ventilators by May-end
- Joe Biden wins Ohio Democratic primary
- PNB Housing appoints Neeraj Vyas as interim MD and CEO
- Ex-Andhra Bank chief Suresh N Patel to take over as vigilance commissioner
- Former finance secretary Rajiv Kumar appointed PESB chief
- S. Tirumurti appointed as Ambassador/Permanent Representative of India to UN
- India Appoints New Ambassadors To Qatar, Bahrain
- India at 53rd position in budget transparency, accountability: IBP survey
- HCARD robot to assist frontline Covid-19 healthcare workers
- Uma Balasubramaniam Newest Book on India’s Unsung Hero: Sayajirao Gaekwad III: The Maharaja of Baroda
- India lose hosting rights of 2021 men’s world boxing championships
- Rishi Kapoor passes away at 67
DAILY CA 1ST MAY
- International Jazz Day- 30th april
- International Labour Day or May Day- 1st may
- Nitin Gadkari launches bank of schemes, ideas, innovation & research portal on MSMEs
- Japan to Support ADB Developing Member Countries’ Response to COVID-19 Challenges
- Fintech firm HAPPY launches ‘Lockdown Loan’ to tide over Covid-19 crisis
- Delhi police Commissioner launches initiative Ayuraksha- ‘Corona se jung – Delhi Police ke sang’
- Sikkim CM launches portal to gather public feedback and suggestions on govt schemes
- AP government to release 905 crore in dues to MSMEs, waive power charges for April, May
- Over 325000 people are using “Janaushadhi Sugam” Mobile App to access Janaushadhi kendras
- Former Axis Bank CEO Shikha Sharma named advisor to Google Pay India
- Suresh K Reddy is India’s new ambassador to Brazil
- Atsushi Ogata appointed as President, MD and CEO of HMSI
- Jacqueline Hughes takes charge as Director-General of ICRISAT
- Manipuri Doctor Conferred ‘Order of Rising Sun’ by Japan
- Alabama teen names NASA’s pioneering Mars Helicopter “ Ingenuity
- Microwave steriliser developed to disintegrate COVID-19
- The Room Where It Happened: A White House Memoir by John Bolton
- Chhattisgarh tops among other states in providing employment to workers under MGNREGS
- Sania Mirza Becomes First Indian To Get Nominated For Fed Cup Heart Award
- ISL side FC Goa appoints Spaniard Juan Ferrando as new head coach
- PSG crowned Ligue 1 champions as season ended amid coronavirus crisis
- Freedom Fighter Hema Bharali Passes Away
- Legendary footballer Chuni Goswami passes away at 82