Dear Readers, Daily Current Affairs Hindi News Updates about the National and International events were listed here. Read Current Affairs here and stay updated with current news. Candidates those who are preparing for IBPS/SBI/PO/Clerk exam and all other competitive exams can use this and try the Current Affairs Quiz to test your knowledge level.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: DAYS
- Janaushadhi week is being celebrated across the country from 1stMarch to 7th March.
- On this occasion various activities like health checkup Camp, Jan Aushadhi Paricharcha, Jan Aushadhi ka sath are being undertaken.
- During the week, blood pressure check-up, sugar level checkup, free doctor consultation and free medicine distribution are being hosted at various Jan Aushadhi Kendras. General public who visited these health camps were also informed and educated about the price benefits and quality of the medicines being sold at Jan Aushadhi Kendras.
- Pradhan Mantri Bhartiya Janaushadhi Pariyojana is a noble initiative by Department of Pharmaceuticals, Government of India which is now making an impact on masses in its endeavor to provide quality medicines at an affordable price.
National Safety Day
- National Safety Day is celebrated in India on 4th March by the National Safety Council of India.
- This day is celebrated to make people get safe from several issues like financial loss, health problems and also any other problems that people are facing in their life.
- The Campaign now entering its 49th year, has grown into a major national campaign widely celebrated by industry, trade unions, govt. departments, regulatory agencies, NGOs and institutions with the active support of the Central and State Governments and media.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: NATIONAL
Govt suspends all visas granted to nationals of Italy, Iran, South Korea & Japan
- Government has suspended all regular visa and e-visa granted to nationals of Italy, Iran, South Korea and Japan with immediate effect. In a revised travel advisory, Health Ministry stated that those requiring to travel to India due to compelling reasons may seek fresh visa from the nearest Indian Embassy or Consulate.
- Government has put export restrictions on 26 pharma ingredients and medicines, including paracetamol, vitamin B1 and B12, amid the coronavirus outbreak in China. With this, export of these Active Pharmaceutical Ingredients, APIs and formulations require licence from the Directorate General of Foreign Trade, DGFT.
- Information and Broadcasting Ministry has asked all private satellite News TV and FM Radio Channels to give adequate publicity to the revised travel advisory issued by the Health Ministry in the wake of novel coronavirus. In its advisory, the Ministry stated, the channels can also run tickers on novel coronavirus. It stated Electronic media has always been at the forefront to carry such message as it is a powerful tool to reach out to the people in the country.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: INTERNATIONAL
World Bank announces 12 bn aid package to help countries combat coronavirus outbreak
- World Bank has unveiled a 12 billion dollar aid package that will provide fast-track funds to help countries combat the coronavirus outbreak. World Bank President David Malpass told reporters that the goal is to provide fast, effective action that responds to country needs.
- The funds, some of which are targeted to the world’s poorest nations, can be used for medical equipment or health services and will include expertise and policy advice.
- Malpass stated the money will go to countries that request help. The bank has been in contact with many member nations, but he did not specify which are likely to be the first to receive aid.
About world bank:
- Headquarters: Washington, D.C., United States
- Membership: 189 countries (IBRD); 173 countries (IDA)
- Founded: 1944
- President : David Malpass
- MD and CFO :Anshula Kant
- Chief Economist :Penny Goldberg
Indian-American Seema Verma named as key member of coronavirus task force in US
- Leading Indian-American health policy consultant Seema Verma has been appointed as one of the key members of the White House Coronavirus Task Force constituted by US President Donald Trump to combat the deadly disease that has claimed six lives in the country and infected over 90 others.
- The task force led by Secretary, Health and Human Services Alex Azar, was created by President Trump on January 30 to lead his administration’s response to the deadly virus that emerged in China and has wreaked havoc across the globe.
- US Vice President Mike Pence announced the appointment of Seema Verma, Administrator for the Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS), and Robert Wilkie, Secretary for the Department of Veterans Affairs, to the task force.
Recent news related to USA:
- India-US MoU on Mental Health: Indian Traditional Therapies to be exchanged for US Generic Drugs
- The United States of America removed the “developing” tag for dozens of countries. India is one amongst them.
- India to partially open up Poultry and Diary Markets to imports from US
- United States approved sale of Integrated Air Defence Weapon System to India. The cost of the system is estimated as 86 billion USD.
UN appeals for USD 877 million to help Rohingya refugees in Bangladesh
- The United Nations appealed for nearly USD 900 million to help hundreds of thousands of Rohingya refugees and vulnerable host communities in Bangladesh this year.
- The UN refugee agency and the International Organization for Migration and other partners launched a joint appeal for USD 877 million (789 million euros).
- The requested funds would go to cover vital services like food, shelter and sanitation, as well as healthcare, education and protection services, it stated.
- Bangladesh and Myanmar have already signed a repatriation deal to send back some Rohingya to their homeland — but safety fears mean very few have agreed to return.
- Bangladesh’s Deputy Foreign Minister Shahriar Alam told reporters in Geneva on Tuesday that his country expected the international community to push harder to ensure movement on the deal.
- The Myanmar military launched a ferocious crackdown against the country’s Rohingya Muslim population in 2017, which UN investigators called genocide, driving around 740,000 into neighbouring Bangladesh.
About United Nations:
- Headquarters: New York, United States
- Founded: 24 October 1945, San Francisco, California, United States
- Secretary general: António Guterres
About Rohingya Peoples
- The Rohingya people are considered “stateless entities”, as the Myanmar government does not recognize them as an ethnic group. Thus, they lack legal protection from the Government of Myanmar, are regarded as refugees from Bangladesh, and face strong hostility in the country.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: BANKING AND FINANCE
NABARD infuses Rs 1.46 lakh cr in rural banking system during current fiscal
- National Bank for Agriculture and Rural Development (NABARD) has infused 46 lakh crore rupees in the rural banking system during the current fiscal.
- NABARD has stated that 66,397 crore rupees have been given in short-term credit and 6,704 crore rupees in long-term credit to rural cooperative banks. Regional rural banks have availed 14,141 crore rupees in short-term credit and 8,417 crore rupees in long-term credit. In addition, other banks, including small finance banks, have obtained long-term refinance of 37,895 crore rupees.
- While short-term refinance is essentially production credit, long-term refinance is aimed at supporting sectors like dairy, poultry, fishery, farm mechanisation, irrigation, and non-farm sectors, among others.
- National Bank for Agriculture and Rural Development is an Apex Development Financial Institution in India. The Bank has been entrusted with “matters concerning Policy Planning and Operations in the field of credit for Agriculture and other Economic activities in Rural areas in India”.
- Founded: 12 July 1982
- Headquarters: Mumbai
- Agency executive: Harsh Kumar Bhanwala(Chairperson)
- Purpose: Development assistance; Poverty Reduction
Govt introduces bill to amend banking laws to strengthen cooperative banks
- The Government, introduced a bill in Lok Sabha which seeks to protect the interest of small depositors by bringing cooperative banks under the RBI regulations.
- Introducing the Banking Regulation (Amendment) Bill, Finance Minister Nirmala Sitharaman stated the bill is the “need of the hour” to avoid a PMC Bank-like crisis in the future. Noting that the happenings at the PMC Bank had “unfortunately” put a lot of small depositors in difficulty, the Finance Minister stated that there were demands that the government should do something about it.
- The proposed law seeks to enforce banking regulation guidelines of the RBI in cooperative banks while administrative issues will still be guided by the Registrar of Cooperative Societies.
- The Bill proposes to bring cooperative banks on par with developments in the banking sector through better management and proper regulation of cooperative banks with a view to ensure that affairs of cooperative banks are conducted in a manner that protects the interest of depositors, it stated.
- It further proposes to strengthen cooperative banks by increasing professionalism, enabling access to capital, improving governance and ensuring sound banking through the RBI.
Govt has collected Rs 7.52 trillion direct tax in Apr-Jan
- The government has collected over Rs 7.52 trillion as direct taxes till January 31 of the current fiscal. The Revised Estimate (RE) has pegged the target for collection of direct taxes for the current fiscal, which ends on March 31, at Rs 11.70 trillion.
- The total amount collected under direct tax collection, as on 31st January, 2020 is Rs 7,52,472 crore,He stated the last advance tax instalment is due in March 2020, and hence it is little premature to predict the final collection of direct taxes for the current year at this stage.
- Thakur stated RE for current fiscal has projected revenue receipts at Rs 18.50 trillion, lower than Rs 19.62 trillion projected in the Budget.
- Lower estimated RE 2019-20 in respect of corporation tax, taxes on income, customs duty , excise duty annd Goods and Services Tax have resulted in the revenue receipts being lower than the budget targets, Thakur stated.
- The fiscal deficit estimated for the current fiscal has been revised upwards to 8 per cent of GDP, from the budgeted 3.3 per cent.
About Direct Taxes
- A direct tax is paid directly by an individual or organization to the imposing entity. A taxpayer, for example, pays direct taxes to the government for different purposes, including real property tax, personal property tax, income tax, or taxes on assets.
- Regulator of Direct Taxes in India- CBDT( Central Board of Direct Taxes)
- Chairperson of CBDT-Pramod Chandra Mody
- HQ- New Delhi
CURRENT AFFAIRS: BUSINESS AND ECONOMY
FDI inflow dips 1.4% to $ 10.67 bn in October-December
- Foreign direct investment into India dipped marginally by 4 per cent to $ 10.67 billion (about Rs 76,800 crore) during October-December period of 2019-20, according to government data.
- Inflow of foreign direct investment (FDI) during October-December of 2018-19 stood at $ 10.82 billion. FDI inflows in July-September period of the current financial year stood at $ 9.77 billion.
- Sectors which attracted maximum foreign inflows during the nine month period include services ($ 6.52 billion), computer software and hardware ($ 6.35 billion), telecommunications ($ 4.29 billion), automobile ($ 2.50 billion) and trading ($ 3.52 billion).
- Singapore continued to be the largest source of FDI in India during April-December period of the current financial year with $ 11.65 billion investments. It was followed by Mauritius ($ 7.45 billion), the Netherlands ($ 3.53 billion), Japan ($ 2.80 billion) and the US ($ 2.79 billion).
- FDI is important as the country requires major investments to overhaul its infrastructure sector to boost growth. The government had last year relaxed foreign investment norms in sectors such as brand retail trading, coal mining and contract manufacturing.
- A foreign direct investment (FDI) is an investment made by a firm or individual in one country into business interests located in another country. Generally, FDI takes place when an investor establishes foreign business operations or acquires foreign business assets in a foreign company. However, FDIs are distinguished from portfolio investments in which an investor merely purchases equities of foreign-based companies.
BEE launches star rating programme for Deep Freezer and Light Commercial Air Conditioners (LCAC)
- To commemorate its 19th foundation day, Bureau of Energy Efficiency (BEE), Ministry of Power, Government of India organized a Stakeholder Consultation to develop a vision towards building an energy efficient India.
- The Star Labelling Programme has been formulated by Bureau of Energy Efficiency, as part of its mandate, under the Energy Conservation Act, 2001. Under this Programme, BEE has covered 24 appliances till date wherein 10 appliances are under mandatory regime. On the occasion of 19th foundation day, BEE has expanded the coverage by including Energy Efficient “Deep Freezers” and “Light Commercial Air Conditioners (LCAC)”.
- Through launch of these two new appliances under voluntary regime, 26 appliances would now be covered under this programme. During the event, Urja Dakshata Information Tool (UDIT) (www.udit.beeindia.gov.in), a first ever initiative taken by BEE with World Resources Institute (WRI), to facilitate a database on energy efficiency was launched.
- UDIT is a user-friendly platform that explains the energy efficiency landscape of India across industry, appliances, building, transport, municipal and agriculture sectors. UDIT will also showcase the capacity building and new initiatives taken up by the Government across the sectors in the increase energy efficiency domain.
About Bureau of Energy Efficiency (BEE),
- The Bureau of Energy Efficiency is an agency of the Government of India, under the Ministry of Power created in 1st March 2002 under the provisions of the nation’s 2001 Energy Conservation Act. The agency’s function is to develop programs which will increase the conservation and efficient use of energy in India.
- Headquarters: New Delhi
- Purpose: Development of policies and strategies, with an emphasis on self-regulation and market principles
Paytm arm gets Irdai brokerage licence
- Paytm is set to make a foray into the business of selling insurance products with subsidiary Paytm Insurance Broking securing a brokerage license from the sector regulator Insurance Regulatory and Authority of India (IRDAI).
- The company plans to offer insurance products across four categories including auto, health, and Additionally, customers will also be able to avail policy management and claim settlement services at select merchant points, the company stated.
- Paytm which has so far been a marketplace for all insurance products stated it has “recently surrendered” its corporate agency’ license for obtaining the brokerage license. The wholly owned subsidiary of Noida based One 97 Communications (PIBL) has already tied up with 20 insurance firms to roll out these products, with it exploring 30 other such tie-up opportunities, it stated.
- The development comes in months after Paytm’s talks to acquire Coverfox, an online insurance aggregator, as reported first by ET last year, fell through. The Vijay Shekhar Sharma- led Paytm will now compete with Coverfox, PolicyBazaar and ET Money in what is becoming an increasingly competitive online insurance space. Last month, PhonePe also announced its foray into insurance after partnering with Bajaj Allianz to sell travel insurance policies for customers.
- Founded: 2010
- CEO: Vijay Shekhar Sharma (Dec 2010–)
- Headquarters: Noida, Uttar Pradesh
- Founded: 1999
- Headquarters: Hyderabad
- Chairperson: Subhash Chandra Khuntia
Pine Labs, ZestMoney to offer instant credit, EMI to customers at PoS
- Merchant commerce platform Pine Labs has partnered with consumer lending fintech Zest Money to provide in-store, digital equated monthly instalment (EMI) options to customers. This will be available through Pine Labs’ Plutus and Plutus Smart point-of-sale (PoS) devices.
- First-time credit seekers who do not have a credit or debit card will be able make purchases at offline stores and avail themselves of EMI.
- Venkat Paruchuri, Chief Product Officer, Pine Labs, stated the initial focus will be on mobiles, consumer durables and IT devices, but it will be gradually extended to additional categories such as apparels and fashion, education, wellness and healthcare, and travel and tourism.
- As an inaugural time-bound offer, ZestMoney will provide 0 per cent interest EMIs on the purchase of any product for a three-month tenure. Additionally, the two firms are working with manufacturers across the mobile, consumer durable and laptop categories to bring EMIs with three-, six-, nine- and and 12-months tenures.
- Pine Labs’ cloud-based software platform can enable instant credit disbursal using ZestMoney’s credit risk and disbursement criteria.
About pine labs:
- Pine Labs is an Indian merchant platform company that provides financing and last-mile retail transaction technology, founded in 1998.
- Headquarters: Noida
- Lokvir Kapoor : Executive Chairman
- Vicky Bindra: Chief Executive Officer
CURRENT AFFAIRS: STATES
Centre declares National Chambal Sanctuary in MP as eco-sensitive zone
- The Centre declared the National Chambal Sanctuary in Madhya Pradesh, home to gangetic dolphins and 75 per cent population of critically endangered species gharial, as eco-sensitive zone (ESZ).
- The sanctuary also harbours national aquatic animal the fresh water gangetic dolphins, nine species of fresh water turtles and more the 180 species of migratory birds.
- Spread over 435 square kilometres, the National Chambal Sanctuary lies across Sheopur, Morena and Bhind districts of Madhya Pradesh with a length of more than 400 kilometers.
- Madhya Pradesh government to prepare a Zonal Master Plan, which shall provide for restoration of denuded areas, conservation of existing water bodies, management of catchment areas, watershed management, groundwater management, soil and moisture conservation, needs of local community and such other aspects of the ecology and environment that need attention.
- The government prohibited any new construction of hotels and resorts within one kilometre from the boundary of the wildlife sanctuary or up to the extent of the ESZ.
- Forests, horticulture areas, agricultural areas, parks and open spaces earmarked for recreational purposes in the Eco-sensitive Zone shall not be used or converted into areas for commercial or residential or industrial activities.
Wildlife Sanctuaries in MP
- Bori Wildlife Sanctuary
- Ghatigaon Sanctuary
- Gandhi Sagar Sanctuary
- Ken Ghariyal Sanctuary
- Narsingharh Sanctuary
- National Chambal Sanctuary
- Nauradehi Wildlife Sanctuary
- Kuno Wildlife Sanctuary
- Ratapani Sanctuary
- Son Ghariyal Sanctuary
- Sardarpur Sanctuary
- Orchha Sanctuary
TN launches Rs 2,857 cr health system reform programme
- Tamil Nadu Chief Minister K. Palaniswami launched the Rs 2,857 crore Tamil Nadu Health System Reform Programme (TNHSRP).
- The programme, supported by the World Bank at an estimated cost of USD 410 million, roughly Rs 2,857 crore.
- The five-year programme focusses on three key areas — improved quality of care, management of non-communicable diseases & injuries, and reduced equity gaps in reproductive and child health.
- Under the programme, quality certification of the government hospitals will also be undertaken, which will help improve the medical service.
- It will focus on diagnosing non-communicable diseases, like diabetes, cancer, blood pressure, breast cancer and psychological disorders at an early stage.
About Tamil Nadu
- Capital- Chennai
- Chief Minister- K. Palaniswami
- Governor- Banwarilal Purohit.
India’s biggest multi-level parking to come up in Noida
- Uttar Pradesh Chief Minister Yogi Adityanath inaugurated and laid foundation stones for 23 development projects worth Rs 2,821 crore in Gautam Buddh Nagar, Noida.
- The initiative is part of the state government to develop the Gautam Buddha Nagar City as a smart city and ideal model of development and opportunities.
- Among the 23 projects, 13 projects were inaugurated at the total worth of Rs 1,452 crore, while foundation stones were laid for 10 projects worth Rs 1,369 crore.
- India’s biggest multi-level parking with space for 7,000 vehicles at Sector 38A – Rs 500 crore
- Underground parking for 276 cars and 42 two-wheelers at Sector 5 – Rs 32.25 crore
- A government hospital in Sector 39 – Rs 344 crore
- Three power sub stations at Sector 148 – Rs 366 crore
- Two power sub stations at Sector 38A – Rs 98.45 crore and Rs 10 crore
- A footover bridge at Sector 145 metro station – Rs 10.81 crore
- Sector 62 – Rs 5 crore
- Sector 71 and 72 – Rs 5 crore
- Four pink toilets in sectors 16, 15, 28 and 74 – Rs 0.76 crore
CURRENT AFFAIRS: ACQUISITIONS AND MERGERS
NCLT approves NBCC bid to acquire Jaypee Infratech via insolvency
- State-owned NBCC got approval from the NCLT to acquire debt-laden Jaypee Infratech through an insolvency process and complete around 20,000 pending flats over the next three and half years.
- The Principal bench of the National Company Law Tribunal (NCLT), headed by Acting President BSV Prakash Kumar, gave a go-ahead to the resolution plan of NBCC.
- In a significant direction that will help NBCC in faster completion of stuck projects of Jaypee Group, the tribunal ordered that the Rs 750 crore deposited by Jaypee Infratech’s parent firm Jaiprakash Associates Ltd (JAL) with the registry of the Supreme Court would be part of the resolution plan.
- The successful resolution of Jaypee Infratech would not only provide a much-needed relief to thousands of distressed homebuyers but also go a long way in reviving the Indian real estate sector, especially the sluggish housing market of Delhi-NCR.
- Jaypee Infratech went into an insolvency process in August 2017. In December last year, a committee of creditors (CoC) comprising 13 banks and around 21,000 homebuyers, approved the resolution plan of NBCC with 97.36 per cent vote in favour.
- NBCC’s proposal was approved by the lenders in the third round of bidding process to find a buyer for Jaypee Infratech. In its bid, NBCC had proposed to complete over 20,000 pending flats in housing projects launched by Jaypee Infratech in Noida and Greater Noida (Uttar Pradesh).
- NBCC (India) Limited, formerly known as National Buildings Construction Corporation Limited, is a Government of India Navratna Enterprise NBCC (India) Limited is a blue-chip Government of India Navratna enterprise and a Central Public Sector undertaking which trades publicly in the market.
- Founded: 1960
- Headquarters: Delhi
- Chairman-cum-Managing Director : Mr. P K Gupta
CURRENT AFFAIRS: APPOINTMENTS AND RESIGNATION
Sudhanshu Pandey takes charge as new CMD of MMTC Ltd
- Additional Secretary at the Department of Commerce Sudhanshu Pandey has assumed additional charge as Chairman and Managing Director of MMTC Ltd.
- His predecessor Ved Prakash.
- Pandey currently discharges functions as the Chief Negotiator of India.
- MMTC earlier known as Metals and Minerals Trading Corporation, is the single largest trader for product lines like minerals, metals and precious metals.
- Headquarters- New Delhi
Revenue Secretary Ajay Bhushan Pandey appointed as Union Finance Secretary
- Revenue Secretary Ajay Bhushan Pandey was designated as the Finance Secretary, according to a Personnel Ministry order.
- The Appointments Committee of the Cabinet has approved designating Pandey, a 1984 batch IAS officer of Maharashtra cadre, as Finance Secretary, it stated. The senior-most bureaucrat among all secretaries in the finance ministry is designated as the finance secretary.
GlaxoSmithKline India appoints Sridhar Venkatesh as MD and Vice-President
- Drug firm GlaxoSmithKline Pharmaceuticals stated it has appointed Sridhar Venkatesh as managing director & vice president of GSK India, effective April 1, 2020.
- He will succeed Annaswamy Vaidheesh, who is set to retire from the company effective March 31, 2020, GlaxoSmithKline Pharmaceuticals stated in a statement.
- It added that Venkatesh has more than 24 years of diverse experience in pharmaceuticals and healthcare, and has a strong track record of success in multiple roles within GSK. The statement stated that he is a registered pharmacist with a master’s in pharmacy.
CURRENT AFFAIRS:AWARDS AND RECOGNITION
Assam environmental activist Jadav Payeng named for Commonwealth Award
- Assam’s environmental activist Jadav Payeng has been named as the 128th Commonwealth Points of Light Award winner.Called the “Forest Man of India”, he will be felicitated by the British Deputy High Commission at a programme in Guwahati on March 11.
- The award is in recognition to his outstanding services to environmental conservation, it was learnt. He was also conferred with the Karmayogi Award for 2020 in New Delhi.
- The activist shot to fame by singlehandedly transforming a 550-hectare barren sandbar right on the middle of the Brahmaputra into a sprawling forest. His relentless efforts earned him the “Forest Man of India” title and the Padma Shri.
- Located in Assam’s Jorhat district, the forest, created by Payeng over a period of more than 30 years, has over one lakh trees and is home to wild animals, birds and snakes. They keep coming to the forest from Kaziranga National Park, which is not far away.
About Commonwealth Awards.
- Presented every two years, the Commonwealth Awards shine a spotlight on the extraordinary contributions the arts, humanities, and sciences make to education, economic growth and vitality, and quality of life in communities across Massachusetts.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: SUMMITS AND CONFERENCE
Pune to host 108th Indian Science Congress in 2021
- Pune will host the 108th Indian Science Congress in January 2021, the Indian Science Congress Association (ISCA) has announced. This will be the fourth time that the city will host the prestigious meet in the last 100 years.
- The event, set to be held at Symbiosis International University’s Lavale campus, will be themed on ‘Science and Technology for Sustainable Development with Women Empowerment’ and focus on economic growth, environmental protection and social inclusion of all communities using science and technology.
- It will also see deliberations on providing equal opportunities to women in science, technology, engineering and mathematics (STEM), while achieving sustainable development.
- Dr Vijay Laxmi Saxena has been elected general president of the Indian Science Congress, 2021.
- 107th Indian Science Congress, 2020 held in Bengaluru.
|105th-2018||Imphal (Manipur University)||Dr. Achyuta Samanta||Reaching the unreached through science and technology|
|106th-2019||Jalandhar (Lovely Professional University), Punjab||Dr. Manoj Chakrabarti||FUTURE INDIA – Science and Technology
|107th-2020||Bangalore (UAS)||Science & Technology : Rural Development|
35th edition of AAHAR, Food and Hospitality fair, begins in New Delhi
- The 35th edition of AAHAR – the Food and Hospitality fair began in New Delhi.
- This five-day-long fair is being organized by India Trade Promotion Organisation, ITPO, with support of the Ministry of Food Processing Industries, Agriculture and Processed Food Products Development Authority and several apex industry associations.
- Exhibitions like AAHAR not only promote but indeed transform the various sectors of the economy and are the lifeline for the exhibition industry.
- This year, the fair will feature a wide range of food products, machinery, hospitality, Food and Beverage Equipment and Decoration items, and Confectionery items from over 750 participants from India and overseas.
- In the foreign category, the fair will witness participation from countries, including Hong Kong, Israel, Indonesia, Japan, Poland, Russia, Switzerland, UK and UAE.
- The event will also offer an insight into operational and food safety concerns and innovations to become energy-efficient, finding budget-friendly raw materials boosting productivity, while still aiming for greater profitability.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: SPORTS
68th All India Police Athletic Championship kick starts in Haryana
- 68th All India Police Athletic Championship-2019 began at Bhanu in Panchkula District of Haryana . Union Minister of State for Youth Affairs and Sports Kiren Rijiju declared the meet open at Basic Training Centre of ITBP. Addressing the meet, Mr Rijiju stated that with an aim to bring India in top 10 in the Olympics scheduled in 2028, the government has identified 15,000 plus children and started their training across 284 Sports Authority of India (SAI) training centres across the country. He stated, to achieve this goal, the role of the Central Armed Police Forces (CAPFs) and State Police organisations becomes very important. Efforts shall be made to assign few games to each force so that we can get good results in Olympics after 8 years.
- The Minister stressed that Sports training centres shall be established in the forces. He also stressed that the government would like to handover few of the SAI extension to the State Governments. It will enable SAI to focus more on the National centres of excellence.
Shafali Verma gains top spot in ICC women’s T20I rankings
- Shafali Verma, the teenage Indian batting sensation, has gained the top spot in the ICC women’s T20 International rankings, riding on her stellar run at the ongoing World Cup.
- She has become only the second India batter after Mithali Raj to top the women’s T20 International rankings, according to an ICC statement. The 16-year-old Shafali has replaced New Zealand’s Suzie Bates, who had been at the top of batting charts since October 2018.
- During the ongoing ICC Women’s T20 World Cup, Shafali has scored 161 runs in four innings demonstrating an explosive batting performance at the top of the order. Another Indian batting star Smriti Mandhana has slipped a couple of places to sixth rank in the latest list.
- Among the Indian bowlers, Poonam Yadav moved up four places, to eighth rank, after a good run in the ongoing World Cup. In the all-rounders’ rankings, India’s Deepti Sharma has advanced nine places to seventh rank, the first time that she is among the top 10 in the all-rounders’ list.
- Chairperson: Shashank Manohar
- CEO: Manu Sawhney
- Headquarters: Dubai, United Arab Emirates
- Founded: 15 June 1909
- Membership: 104 members
CURRENT AFFAIRS: OBITUARY
Ex GE CEO Jack Welch passes away
- General Electric Co’s former chief executive officer Jack Welch passed away.
- In 1960, Welch joined GE as a chemical engineer for its plastics division in Pittsfield, Massachusetts. He was elected the company’s youngest vice president in 1972 and became vice chairman in 1979.
DAILY CA 3rd MAR
- World Civil Defence Day- 1st march
- World Wildlife Day- 3rd march
- World Hearing Day- 3rd march
- Government allows airlines to provide in-flight Wi-Fi services
- Government cites concerns over divesting stake below 51 per cent in NTPC, PowerGrid
- China assumes presidency of UN Security Council for March 2020
- Israeli PM Benjamin Netanyahu claims victory in general elections
- Saudi Arabia starts issuance of permanent premium residency permit to foreigners
- OECD slashes India’s FY21 growth forecast to 1% on coronavirus woes
- RBL, Zomato launch co-branded credit card offering cash back and loyalty membership benefits
- Fitch cuts India growth forecast to 9 per cent for fiscal year 2020-21
- Unemployment rate rises to 78 per cent in February, highest in four months
- Punjab prohibits online supply of food from FBOs not possessing hygiene rating
- Historic City Chowk in Jammu renamed as ‘Bharat Mata Chowk’
- Yog mahotsav begins in Rishikesh
- MP govt unveils ”Chilli Chaha” mascot to rebrand the hot spice
- Week-long Ekam Fest begins in New Delhi
- Dayapatra Nevatia named Mindtree COO
- Government Launches Humsafar Mobile App For Doorstep Diesel Delivery
- Sarbananda Sonowal receives Dr Syama Prasad Mukherjee Award 2020 for Politics
- 70th Berlin International Film Festival
- India to have its first sky eye in geostationary orbit GISAT-1
- FIH rankings: Indian men’s hockey team climbs to fourth position
- Tasnim Mir, Mansi Singh win bronze at Yonex Dutch Junior International
- Bulandshahr BJP MLA Virendra Sirohi passes away
DAILY CA 4TH MAR
- Janaushadhi Week -1ST to 7th March
- National Safety Day- 4TH March
- Govt suspends all visas granted to nationals of Italy, Iran, South Korea & Japan
- World Bank announces 12 bn aid package to help countries combat coronavirus outbreak
- Indian-American Seema Verma named as key member of coronavirus task force in US
- UN appeals for USD 877 million to help Rohingya refugees in Bangladesh
- NABARD infuses Rs 1.46 lakh cr in rural banking system during current fiscal
- Govt introduces bill to amend banking laws to strengthen cooperative banks
- Govt has collected Rs 7.52 trillion direct tax in Apr-Jan
- FDI inflow dips 1.4% to $ 10.67 bn in October-December
- BEE launches star rating programme for Deep Freezer and Light Commercial Air Conditioners (LCAC)
- Paytm arm gets IRDAI brokerage licence
- Pine Labs, ZestMoney to offer instant credit, EMI to customers at PoS
- Centre declares National Chambal Sanctuary in MP as eco-sensitive zone
- TN launches Rs 2,857 cr health system reform programme
- India’s biggest multi-level parking to come up in Noida
- NCLT approves NBCC bid to acquire Jaypee Infratech via insolvency
- Sudhanshu Pandey takes charge as new CMD of MMTC Ltd
- Revenue Secretary Ajay Bhushan Pandey appointed as Union Finance Secretary
- GlaxoSmithKline India appoints Sridhar Venkatesh as MD and Vice-President
- Assam environmental activist Jadav Payeng named for Commonwealth Award
- Pune to host 108th Indian Science Congress in 2021
- 35th edition of AAHAR, Food and Hospitality fair, begins in New Delhi
- 68th All India Police Athletic Championship kick starts in Haryana
- Shafali Verma gains top spot in ICC women’s T20I rankings
- Ex GE CEO Jack Welch passes away