Dear Readers, Daily Current Affairs News Updates about the National and International events were listed here. Read Current Affairs here and stay updated with current news. Candidates those who are preparing for IBPS/SBI/PO/Clerk exam and all other competitive exams can use this and try Current Affairs Quiz to test your knowledge level.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: DAYS
World Homeopathy Day
- World Homoeopathy Day is celebrated on 10 April to mark the birth anniversary of the founder of Homoeopathy, Samuel Hahnemann.
- World Homeopathy Awareness Week is celebrated annually between April 10th and April 16th, Organised by the World Homeopathy Awareness Organisation.
- Homeopathy is a system of alternative medicine that uses small, highly diluted doses of natural substances to trigger the bodies own healing abilities.
- The theme of 2020 is “Enhancing the scope of Homoeopathy in Public Health”
CURRENT AFFAIRS: NATIONAL
Govt sanctions Rs 15000 cr for COVID-19 Emergency response
- The Centre has sanctioned 15 thousand crore rupees for India COVID-19 Emergency Response and Health System Preparedness Package. Out of it, seven thousand 774 crore rupees will be utilized for immediate COVID-19 Emergency Response and rest for medium-term support of one to four years to be provided under mission mode approach.
- The key objectives of the package include mounting emergency response to slow and limit COVID-19 in the country through the development of diagnostics and COVID-19 dedicated treatment facilities, centralized procurement of essential medical equipment and drugs required for treatment of infected patients.
- Besides, the aim of the package is also to strengthen and build resilient National and State health systems to support prevention and preparedness for future disease outbreak. It also include setting up of laboratories and bolster surveillance activities, bio-security preparedness, pandemic research and proactively engage communities and conduct risk communication activities.
- These interventions and initiatives would be implemented under the overall umbrella of the Ministry of Health and Family Welfare.
About Ministry of Health and Family Welfare:
- The Ministry of Health and Family Welfare is an Indian government ministry charged with health policy in India. It is also responsible for all government programs relating to family planning in India.
- Headquarters: New Delhi
- Officeholders: Harsh Vardhan (Minister), Faggan Singh Kulaste (Minister of State)
Indian Railways Develops mobile doctor booth for zero-contact check-ups
- Indian Railways’ Coach Rehabilitation Workshop, Bhopal which falls under the West Central Railway zone, has developed a mobile doctor booth named Charak with zero contact check-up facility.
- This will facilitate zero-contact check-ups in light of the novel coronavirus outbreak as well as ensure the safety of the medical professionals/doctors owing to the “viral barrier chamber”. The system will allow doctors to examine patients without direct physical contact, thereby protecting them from the hazards of viral exposure.
- As it reduces the disposal of single-use Polypropylene PPEs, there will be a reduction in bio-medical waste. The doctor booth is a mobile unit, thus, it can be easily transported to remote locations and rural areas. Moreover, it enabled to go within 500 m area by hand transport. Also, the mobile doctor booth is an economical and low-cost viral barrier for doctors.
About Indian Railways
- Headquarters– New Delhi
- Union Minister– Piyush Goyal
- Chairman- V K Yadhav
CURRENT AFFAIRS: INTERNATIONAL
African Development Bank Group unveils $10 billion Response Facility to curb COVID-19
- The African Development Bank Group announced the creation of the COVID-19 Response Facility to assist regional member countries in fighting the pandemic.
- The Facility is the latest measure taken by the Bank to respond to the pandemic and will be the institution’s primary channel for its efforts to address the crisis. It provides up to $10 billion to governments and the private sector.
- Akinwumi Adesina, President of the African Development Bank Group, stated the package took into account the fiscal challenges that many African countries are facing.
- The Facility entails $5.5 billion for sovereign operations in African Development Bank countries, and $3.1 billion for sovereign and regional operations for countries under the African Development Fund, the Bank Group’s concessional arm that caters to fragile countries.
- An additional $1.35 billion will be devoted to private sector operations.
- The Bank launched a record-breaking $3 billion Fight COVID-19 Social Bond, the world’s largest US dollar-denominated social bond ever on the international capital market. The Board of Directors also approved a $2 million grant for the World Health Organization for its efforts on the continent.
About African Development Bank
- Headquarters: Abidjan, Côte d’Ivoire
- President: Akinwumi Adesina
- Founded: 10 September 1964
CURRENT AFFAIRS: BANKING AND FINANCE
DBS revises India’s GDP estimate to 1.5% for FY21
- Singapore’s banking group DBS revised India’s GDP estimate to 5 per cent for the current fiscal amid the ongoing lockdown due to the coronavirus pandemic.
- The development comes a day after American brokerage Goldman Sachs revised its forecast for the country’s real GDP growth to 1.6 per cent as against 3.3 per cent it had estimated earlier. Goldman Sachs, like most other research houses, expects a strong economic recovery in the second half of FY21.
- Revised GDP estimate for FY21 at 1.5 per cent year-on-year vs 4.5 per cent in FY20, DBS Bank India’s economist Radhika Rao stated in a report. Weakening global growth outlook will also impinge on the country’s trajectory.
- The Singaporean lender stated it sees the lockdown/ restrictive movements will be eased in phases by end-Q2. It stated on average every month contributes to around eight per cent of the full-year output and a month’s closure amounts to close to four per cent of output loss.
About DBS bank:
- CEO: Piyush Gupta
- Headquarters: Singapore
ADB assures $2.2 billion support package to India
- Asian Development Bank (ADB) President Masatsugu Asakawa assured Finance Minister Nirmala Sitharaman of USD 2.2 billion (about Rs 16,500 crore) support to India in its fight against the Covid-19 pandemic.
- Asakawa commended the Indian government’s decisive response to the pandemic, including a national health emergency program, tax and other relief measures provided to businesses and a $23 billion (Rs 1.7 lakh crore) economic relief package announced on March 26 to provide immediate income and consumption support to the poor, women, and workers affected by the three-week nationwide lockdown.
- ADB is also engaged with the private sector to meet its financing needs during this period, ADB stated.
About Asian Development Bank (ADB):
- Headquarters: Mandaluyong, Philippines
- President: Masatsugu Asakawa
- Founded: 19 December 1966
Jana Small Finance Bank rolls out digital banking platform
- Jana Small Finance Bank, a scheduled commercial bank, has launched DigiGen, a digital banking platform where customers can digitally open a savings account and fixed deposit instantly; any time, anywhere.
- DigiGen onboarding is a three-step process to open an account. True to its brand promise ‘paise ki kadar’, customers are eligible for 4.5 per cent interest rates on savings account with no minimum balance and up to 7.5 per cent interest on fixed deposits, stated a bank release.
- The new digital solution also offers a host of other features, including online bill payment, instant money transfer and airport lounge access on debit card, to name a few.
About Jana Small Finance Bank:
- Jana Small Finance Bank is a small finance bank that commenced operations on March 28, 2018. The Reserve Bank of India issued a licence to the bank under Section 22 of the Banking Regulation Act, 1949.
- Headquarters location: Bengaluru
- Founded: 2006
- CEO: Ajay Kanwal
CURRENT AFFAIRS: STATES
A 24X7 Health Channel dedicated to COVID-19 introduced for localites in Nicobar district
- A 24X7 Health Channel dedicated to COVID-19 has been introduced for localites in Nicobar The channel is available in 3 languages Hindi, English and Nicobari.
- The channel provides information covering the basic preventive measures like cleanliness and sanitation, maintaining social distancing and health advisory by doctors.
- In addition to this yoga, meditation and Ayush aid are being displayed to enhance body’s immunity and hence engaging people through positive a narrative while staying at home.
About The Andaman and Nicobar Islands:
- Capital : Port Blair
- Lieutenant Governor: Admiral (ret.) Devendra Kumar Joshi
Ahmedabad railway station gets sanitizing tunnel
- Ahmedabad station of Western Railway has got the unique distinction of becoming the first station on Indian Railways to install a Walk Through Mass Sanitizing Tunnel.
- The walk through mass Sanitizer Tunnel has been set up by Ahmedabad division to ensure the safety of staff and passengers in view of the COVID-19.
- The distance of the tunnel is 20 feet long which can be covered within 10 seconds.
- The tunnel is fitted with a sensor so that when a passenger approaches the tunnel entrance, it starts fogging automatically with WHO approved sanitizer.
- The tunnel has a capacity of sanitizing 25 to 30 persons per minute and consumes approximately 20 ml sanitizer per person. The system runs on the principle of Vaporization process which converts the sanitizer mixture into vapour which forms a uniform layer over the surface which dries up quickly.
Ladakh LG launches IT based applications to combat COVID-19
- Union territory Ladakh administration is taking the help of Information Technology enabled services in the fight against COVID-19 and containment of the spread. Ladakh Lieutenant Governor RK Mathur has launched IT based applications and web based dashboards, in
- Ladakh Lieutenant Governor RK Mathur has launched app and web based platforms namely, ladakh.gov.in , covid.ladakh.gov.in and National Analytical platform for Dealing with Intelligent Training, Tracking, NAADI App , developed by C-DAC in containment of COVID-19 pandemic Any Ladakhi stranded staying outside for any reason must register themselves through this web on mobile platforms.
- Basing on the grievances received from the public the back end mechanism co-ordinate with the concerned States all the union territories for redressal.
- This web and app based platforms are next level 2 to the already established control rules in Leh and Kargil districts. NAADI App customized for Ladakh will help the public in quarantine with health tips and advisories. The App also facilitates the administration to track their movements from quarantine.
- Capital: Leh, Kargil
- Lieutenant Governor:Radha Krishna Mathur
Delhi government launches operation ‘SHIELD’ in identified hotspots
- Delhi government announced the sealing of 20 Covid-19 hotspots in the national capital, Chief Minister Arvind Kejriwal stated that his government will carry out operation ‘SHIELD’ in these localities.
- Expansion of SHIELD is S (Sealing of area), H (Home quarantine), I (Isolation of infected patients), E (Essential services ensured), L (Local sanitisation), and D (Door to door survey).
- Containment of 20 localities has started in Delhi to protect citizens from Covid-19 and provision of essential items is being made for people living in these areas.
- On making facial masks compulsory for anyone stepping out of the house, Kejriwal stated, if everyone starts wearing a mask then situation can be controlled. Taking a lesson from other countries, Delhi government has also decided to make wearing of masks compulsory for everyone.
- Chief Minister- Arvind Kejriwal
- Governor- Anil Baijal
CURRENT AFFAIRS: APPS AND PORTALS
Centre launches online training portal on MHRD’s DIKSHA platform for frontline COVID-19 warriors
- The Government of India has launched a training module for the management of COVID-19 named “Integrated Government Online training” (iGOT) portal on Ministry of Human Resource Development’s (MHRD) DIKSHA platform for the capacity building of frontline workers to handle the COVID-19 pandemic efficiently.
- Courses on iGOT have been launched for doctors, nurses, paramedics, hygiene workers, technicians, Auxiliary Nursing Midwives (ANMs), State Government officers, civil defence officers, various police organisations, National Cadet Corps (NCC), Nehru Yuva Kendra Sangathan (NYKS), National Service Scheme, Indian Red Cross Society, Bharat Scouts and Guides and other volunteers.
- The portal website link is https://igot.gov.in/igot/.
- The platform will provide the training module on flexitime and on site basis so that the COVID response can be delivered at scale for the workforce needed to tackle the pandemic.
About DIKSHA platform
- It is a National platform for teachers, students and parents who engage in learning material relevant to the prescribed school curriculum. The lessons can be easily accessed by scanning the QR code from the textbook.
- Union Minister- Ramesh Pokhriyal ‘Nishank’
- Constituency- Haridwar, Uttarkhand
MoHUA Launches Revised Version of Swachhata App to Handle Queries Specific to COVID 19
- The Ministry of Housing and Urban Affairs announced the launch of a revised version of the existing Swachhata-MoHUA App, at a video conference (VC) held with all States, Union Territories (UTs) and cities, under the Chairmanship of Shri Durga Shanker Mishra, Secretary – MoHUA, on the COVID 19 crisis.
- The Swachhata-MoHUA App, a highly popular grievance redressal tool for citizens under the ambit of the Swachh Bharat Mission (Urban) already has over 1.7 Crore+ urban users across the country. This app has now been modified and strengthened further in order to enable citizens to get their COVID-related complaints also redressed by their respective ULBs.
- The revised version of the Swachhata App essentially leverages the popularity and huge user base of the app to better support citizens during this COVID pandemic. However, the addition of these new categories has no impact on the existing categories of the App and citizens may continue to post their grievances in either of the categories.
- The pilot version of the revised version of the App had been shared with select States and cities earlier. Basis the feedback, the same is being launched across India. The announcement was met with appreciation by the State Mission Directors and ULB representatives at the VC who looked forward to leveraging the Swachhata-MoHUA App for redressing citizen complaints related to COVID-19.
- Swachhata App serves as an effective digital tool enabling citizens to play an active role in the Swachhata of their cities and increase accountability on the part of Urban Local Bodies (ULBs).
- Union Minister- Hardeep Singh Puri
- Constituency- Uttar Pradesh (Rajya Sabha)
Newly launched ‘SafeSeniors’ app to monitor senior citizens amid Covid-19 crisis
- India’s retail company for senior citizens, Seniority, has collaborated with RPG Life Sciences to launch the “SafeSeniors” app, a predictive analysis tool designed to primarily help early identification of COVID 19 risk amongst the elderly.
- The tool has been developed in consultation with the leading experts in the areas of infectious diseases, community medicine, clinical pharmacology, and Covid-19 management.
- This comes at a time when the world continues to fight against Covid-19, the rising number of cases being reported in India has been a matter of huge concern for the citizens, healthcare authorities and the government. Senior citizens are more vulnerable to this deadly virus. With close to 120 million seniors in the country, the stakes are manifold.
- The SafeSeniors tool has been specially developed to help in early identification of Covid-19 risk amongst senior citizens. Seniors and their dear ones are encouraged to enter their vital parameters, pre-existing medical conditions, travel & social exposure history and key symptoms such as fever, dry cough, etc. on a daily basis.
- They mentioned that with just a few clicks, SafeSeniors monitors health on a continuous basis. The company claimed that the app is equipped with a robust algorithm and dynamic tech capabilities that can analyze millions of data on a real-time basis.
- They stated the app alerts the seniors and their dear ones of the Covid-19 risk levels and seek adequate treatment before the disease spirals out of control.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: APPOINTMENTS AND RESIGNATION
Anamika Roy Rashtrawar appointed MD & CEO of IFFCO Tokio
- Anamika Roy Rashtrawar has taken charge as MD and CEO of IFFCO Tokio General Insurance with effect from March 27.
- Prior to this elevation, Rashtrawar was whole-time director with the private general insurer, which she had joined in June 2018.
- IFFCO Tokio General Insurance is a 51:49 joint venture between IFFCO and Tokio Marine Group.
- Rashtrawar replaces Warendra Sinha, who retired from the company after leading it for three years.
About IFFCO Tokio General Insurance
- Headquarters– Gurugram, Haryana
- Chairman– Mr. K. Srinivasa Gowda
CURRENT AFFAIRS: BOOKS AND AUTHOR
Prize-winning reporter Mary Jordan writes book on Melania Trump
- A Pulitzer Prize-winning reporter for The Washington Post has written an unauthorized biography of first lady Melania Trump.Mary Jordan’s “The Art of Her Deal,” which draws upon more than 100 interviews, comes out June 16, 2020.
- The Art of Her Deal’ paints a surprising portrait of a determined immigrant and the life she had before she met Donald Trump.
- Jordan’s previous books include the bestselling “Hope: A Memoir of Survival in Cleveland,” about two of the three women who were kidnapped and held in captivity for a decade. “Hope” was co-written by Jordan’s husband and fellow journalist, Kevin Sullivan.
- Kobe Bryant’s latest book, The Wizenard Series: Season One, was given a posthumous release. Bryant collaborated with author Wesley King.
- Happy For No Reason by Mandira Bedi, a well-known actor, is also a fitness icon with Satyadev Barman.
- The Night Watchman Book by Louise Erdrich.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: MOU
TRIFED to launch a digital campaign in collaboration with UNICEF for self help groups to ensure Tribal Gatherers carry on their work safely
- TRIFED has collaborated with UNICEF for developing a digital communication strategy for promoting a digital campaign for Self Help Groups (SHGs) involved in this work, highlighting the importance of Social Distancing.
- UNICEF would provide the necessary support to be circulated to the SHG centers in the form of Digital Multimedia content, Webinars for Virtual trainings (basic orientation on COVID response, key preventive behaviours), Social Media campaigns (on social distancing, home quarantine, etc.) and Vanya Radio.
- Additionally, TRIFED has reached out to the Art of Living Foundation’s #iStandWithHumanity Initiative with a Stand With Tribal Families component in providing much needed food and ration for survival of the tribal community.
- It is aimed to reach more than 18,000 participants and would cover tribal regions across all the 27 States.
- Headquarters- New York, United States
- Head- Henrietta H. Fore
CURRENT AFFAIRS: RANKING
Forbes Billionaires List 2020
- Amazon Inc’s CEO Jeff Bezos maintains the top spot globally for another year despite a plunge of $18 billion in his wealth. With a net worth of $113 billion, he is the richest person in the world on Forbes Billionaires List 2020, followed by Microsoft founder Bill Gates with a fortune of $98 billion and LVMH’s Bernard Arnault at $76 billion.
- Among the 2,095 billionaires on the list, Indian tycoon Mukesh Ambani ranks 21st globally with a net worth of $44.3 billion. The Chairman of Reliance Industries Limited topped the annual ranking from India’s perspective in the previous year as well.
- The second on the rich list was DMart’s Radhakishan Damani & Family with their wealth at $13.8 billion and 78th in the global
List of Top 10 Billionaires
- Jeff Bezos (Amazon) – $113 bn
- Bill Gates (Microsoft) – $98 bn
- Bernard Arnault (LVMH) – $76 bn
- Warren Buffett (Berkshire Hathaway) – $67.5 bn
- Larry Ellison (Software) – $59 bn
- Amancio Ortega (Zara) – $55.1 bn
- Mark Zuckerberg (Facebook) – $54.7 bn
- Jim Walton (Walmart) – $54.6 bn
- Alice Walton (Walmart) – $54.4 bn
- Rob Walton (Walmart) – $54.1 bn
CURRENT AFFAIRS: OBITUARY
Senior Congress leader Hazarilal Raghuwanshi passes away at 93
- Senior Congress leader and former Madhya Pradesh minister Hazarilal Raghuwanshi passed away following a prolonged illness.
- Raghuwanshi was a five-time MLA from the Assembly constituency and also served as a minister in various Congress-led governments in the state. The senior leader was elected as an MLA for the first time in 1977 and he also served as a deputy speaker in the state Assembly from 2003-2008. Currently he was a member of the party disciplinary committee.
DAILY CA 9th Apr
- Center launches learning platform to combat COVID-19
- Centre approves COVID-19 emergency package for states, UTs
- Global trade likely to fall by 13-32% in 2020 amid Covid-19 outbreak: WTO
- Bank of Maharashtra launches financial support schemes
- IDBI Bank board sets bond borrowing limit
- India’s GDP for FY21 projected at 8 per cent, COVID19 to have adverse economic impact globally: UN
- India’s GDP may plummet to multi-decade low of 1.6 per cent in FY21: Goldman Sachs
- Arunachal Pradesh govt launches COVIDCARE app to fight COVID-19
- Telangana govt sets up 12 Covid-19 ‘containment clusters’ in Hyderabad
- CCI approves acquisition of GMR Kamalanga Energy Limited by JSW Energy Limited
- CCI approves Hitachi’s stake-buy in ABB’s power grid arm
- Bharti AXA Life Insurance appoints Parag Raja as MD & CEO
- Bengaluru voted best city for IT professionals: Survey
- China becomes world’s top patent filer, surpassing US for 1st time in 4 decades
- Smart Cities partner with medical practitioners to provide online consultation
- DRDO, Wipro 3D develop full face shield for healthcare personnel treating COVID-19 patients
- From ‘GoCoronaGo’ to ‘Sampark-o-Meter’: IISc, IITs develop mobile apps to aid fight COVID-19
- IIT Bombay developing nasal gel for capturing COVID-19
- England all-rounder Ben Stokes was named the ‘Leading Cricketer in the World’ in the 2020 edition of the Wisden Cricketers’ Almanack
- Former Atletico, Madrid and Barcelona coach Radomir Antic passes away
- ‘Goldfinger’ Bond girl Honor Blackman passes away
- Indian-American journalist Brahm Kanchibotla passes away
- Swiss Ice Hockey Player Chappot Passes Away
DAILY CA 10th Apr
- World Homeopathy Day- 10th apr
- Govt sanctions Rs 15000 cr for COVID-19 Emergency response
- Indian Railways Develops mobile doctor booth for zero-contact check-ups
- African Development Bank Group unveils $10 billion Response Facility to curb COVID-19
- DBS revises India’s GDP estimate to 5% for FY21
- ADB assures $2.2 billion support package to India
- Jana Small Finance Bank rolls out digital banking platform
- A 24X7 Health Channel dedicated to COVID-19 introduced for localites in Nicobar district
- Ahmedabad railway station gets sanitizing tunnel
- Ladakh LG launches IT based applications to combat COVID-19
- Delhi government launches operation ‘SHIELD’ in identified hotspots
- Centre launches online training portal on MHRD’s DIKSHA platform for frontline COVID-19 warriors
- MoHUA Launches Revised Version of Swachhata App to Handle Queries Specific to COVID 19
- Newly launched ‘SafeSeniors’ app to monitor senior citizens amid Covid-19 crisis
- Anamika Roy Rashtrawar appointed MD & CEO of IFFCO Tokio
- Prize-winning reporter Mary Jordan writes book on Melania Trump
- TRIFED to launch a digital campaign in collaboration with UNICEF for self help groups to ensure Tribal Gatherers carry on their work safely
- Forbes Billionaires List 2020
- Senior Congress leader Hazarilal Raghuwanshi passes away at 93