Dear Readers, Daily Current Affairs News Updates about the National and International events were listed here. Read Current Affairs here and stay updated with current news. Candidates those who are preparing for IBPS/SBI/PO/Clerk exam and all other competitive exams can use this and try Current Affairs Quiz to test your knowledge level.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: NATIONAL
DPIIT launches paperless licensing process for petroleum road tankers
- The Department for Promotion of Industry and Internal Trade (DPIIT), has launched paperless licensing process for road tankers for transportation of petroleum. This is a significant move towards paperless and green India that will provide simpler mechanism, ease of living and business to the petroleum road tanker owners.
- Moving towards digitization, the process will include filing the applications online. Applicants, at each stage of processing of the application, will be intimated via SMS and email, whether discrepancy or grant of licence or approval.
- This extraordinary and forward looking initiative is directly going to benefit more than one lakh petroleum road tanker owners.
- The Department for Promotion of Industry and Internal Trade (DPIIT) is a central government department under the Ministry of Commerce and Industry.
- Headquarters location: New Delhi
- Founded: 1995
- Parent agency: Ministry of Commerce and Industry
Four Indian airports receive international recognition for reducing carbon emissions
- The Airports Authority of India (AAI) announced that four airports in the country have managed a transition from level 1 to level 2 with a reduction in the carbon emissions by grading their systems as per the Airports Council International (ACI).
- The airports had adopted the grading system in 2018 and successfully implemented the carbon emission plan.
- Four AAI airports – Netaji Subhas Chandra Bose International Airport, Kolkata; Biju Patnaik International Airport, Bhubaneswar; Lal Bahadur Shastri International Airport, Varanasi and Trivandrum International Airport have met all the necessary requirements to upgrade to level 2: ‘reduction’, by constituting Carbon Management Plan and reducing the carbon emissions at airports as per the Airport Carbon Accreditation (ACA) Program.
- As per the data provided for the CO2 emission of four years – 2015, 16, 17,18; these airports witnessed a decrease in emission despite an increase in air traffic.
- The grading system of ACI has four categories – mapping, reduction, optimization and neutrality.
- Carbon mapping occurs when the airport has a policy commitment to emissions reduction and development of a Carbon Footprint for the airport’s scope-1 and scope-2 emissions, which are under its control. Carbon reduction occurs when the airport shows the reduction in carbon emissions as compared to the base year.
Citizens can soon file grievances on CPGRAMS portal in Indian languages
- Minister of Personnel, Public Grievances and Pensions Dr Jitendra Singh has stated that efforts are on to help citizens lodge their grievances on the Centralized Public Grievance Redress And Monitoring System (CPGRAMS) portal in Indian languages.
- Many States have already replicated the CPGRAMS model and some States have provisions to lodge grievances in respective regional languages.
- The Minister stated a big leap has been taken in the newly carved out Union Territory of Jammu and Kashmir with the launch of the “Awaaz-e-aam”- UT Grievance Redressal Cell and it will soon be linked with the CPGRAMS portal.
Home Minister Amit Shah dedicates National Cyber Crime Reporting Portal to nation
- Union Home Minister Amit Shah inaugurated the Indian Cyber Crime Coordination Centre (I4C) and also dedicated National Cyber Crime Reporting Portal to the nation . This state-of-the-art Centre is located in New Delhi.
- The scheme to set up I4C was approved in October 2018 at an estimated cost of around 416 crore rupees to deal with all types of cyber-crimes in a comprehensive and coordinated manner. At the initiative of Home Ministry, 15 States and UTs have given their consent to set up Regional Cyber Crime Coordination Centres.
- On the other hand, National Cyber Crime Reporting Portal (cybercrime.gov.in) is a citizen-centric initiative that will enable citizens to report cyber-crimes online through the portal. All the cyber-crime related complaints will be accessed by the concerned law enforcement agencies in the States and Union Territories for taking action as per law.
- This portal was launched on pilot basis on 30th August, 2019. It enables filing of all cyber-crimes with specific focus on crimes against women, children, particularly child pornography, child sex abuse material, online content pertaining to rapes.
- So far, over 700 Police Districts and 3,900 Police Stations have been connected with this portal. Home Ministry is committed to provide and create an eco- system for dealing with the cyber-crimes in a comprehensive and coordinated manner
Mangaluru Junction railway facility gets IMS certification
- The Carriage and Wagon Depot at Mangaluru Junction railway station, which is capable of examining freight train formations for rail worthiness, has obtained Integrated Management System (IMS)
- Functions associated with the examination of freight trains and maintenance activities performed at the depot, platform yard, and sick line; and the stores and material management functions at the depot are certified under the IMS.
- The brake power certificate issued by the depot is the authority to utilise the rakes in the specified schedule. On an average, 49 such rakes are examined at the depot in a month
- The IMS certification covers ISO 9001-2015 for quality management, ISO 14001-2015 for environment management, and ISO 45001-2018 for occupational health and safety, and is valid up to December 2022.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: INTERNATIONAL
Second largest Muslim Congregation in the world Bishwa Ijtema begins in Bangladesh
- The first phase of the world’s second largest Muslim congregation after Haj began on the outskirts of Dhaka . Thousands of devotees from Bangladesh and abroad are thronging the bank of river Turag at Tongi near Dhaka to participate in the congregation called Bishwa Ijtema. The Ijtema began with the ‘aam bayan’ and will end on January 12 with the final prayers ‘Akheri Munajat’.
- Police has made extensive security arrangement for the congregation. Large number of police personnel have been deployed near the venue which has been brought under CCTV surveillance.
- The second phase of Bishwa Ijtem will take place between January 17-19.
- Bishwa Ijtema has been taking place on the Turag riverbank in Tongi near Dhaka since 1967. In 2011, the congregation was split into two phases to ensure better management.
- Bishwa Ijtema draws in Muslim devotees from about 150 countries. In 2010, 5 million people were estimated to take part in the Bishwa Ijtema. It is a gathering that focuses on prayer and meditation and is not open for political discussions.
- Capital: Dhaka
- Currency: Bangladeshi taka
- Prime minister: Sheikh Hasina
Sri Lanka to buy 500 buses from India for USD 15 million
- Sri Lanka will purchase 500 buses from India for USD 15 million by utilising the line of credit extended to it during President Gotabaya Rajapaksa’s visit to New Delhi.
- The new buses for Sri Lanka Transport Board would be procured to strengthen the country’s public transport, according to a memo approved by the Cabinet.
- “The Cabinet of Ministers has given their consent for procurement of 400 new buses with 50-54 seating capacity and 100 new buses with 32-35 seating capacity utilising USD 15.03 million under the Indian loan grant scheme.
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi in November announced a financial assistance of USD 450 million to Sri Lanka including USD 50 million to fight terrorism after he held “fruitful” talks with the island nation’s newly elected President Rajapaksa.
About Srilanka :
- Capitals: Colombo, Sri Jayawardenepura Kotte
- Currency: Sri Lankan rupee
- President: Gotabaya Rajapaksa
- Prime minister: Mahinda Rajapaksa
CURRENT AFFAIRS: STATES
UP to build Rs 234-crore zoo named after Ashfaqullah Khan
- The UP Cabinet approved a proposal to set aside Rs 234 crore for construction of a zoological garden named after Shaheed Ashfaqullah Khan in Gorakhpur. The zoo will come up across over 121 acres.
- Freedom fighter Ashfaqullah Khan was sentenced to death along with Ram Prasad Bismil for the Kakori train robbery, commonly known as the Kakori conspiracy of 1925.
- The purpose of the zoological garden is conservation of wildlife. At present, there are two zoological gardens in Uttar Pradesh, one in Lucknow and another in Kanpur. Shaheed Ashfaqullah Khand Zoological Garden was proposed in 2008-2009.
- With this zoo, Gorakhpur will be developed as a tourist spot and would be recognised internationally with this project.
Recent news related to uttar pradesh:
- India’s first Transgender University to come up in UP
- FM transmitters to be set up in Sashastra Seema Bal premises
- UP launches Filaria Campaign
- Etawah Lion Safari inaugurated in Uttar Pradesh
- UP govt launches e-Ganna app, web portal
- Capital: Lucknow
- Chief Minister: Yogi Adityanath
- Governor: Anandiben Patel
TN names two state-run varsities after Jayalalithaa
- Tamil Nadu Assembly passed two Bills to name a fisheries university and a music varsity after late Chief Minister and AIADMK supremo J Jayalalithaa.
- The Tamil Nadu Fisheries University and The Tamil Nadu Music and Fine Arts University have been rechristened “The Tamil Nadu Dr J Jayalalithaa Fisheries University,” and “The Tamil Nadu Dr J Jayalalithaa Music and Fine Arts University.”
- Jayalalithaa started her career as an actress and acted 140 films in Tamil, Telugu and Kannada languages.
- She had entered into politics in 1982 and became Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu for the first time in 1991.
- She served as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu for six times.
- Capital: Chennai
- Chief Minister: Edappadi K Palanisamy
- Governor: Banwarilal Purohit
Arunachal assembly adopts new logo
- The Arunachal Pradesh Legislative Assembly adopted a new logo, reflecting the distinct identity and culture of the state.
- The new logo consists of the national emblem and foxtail orchid (Rhynchostylis Retusa), the state flower.
- The symbol of national emblem signifies the federal system of the Indian Constitution while the foxtail orchid represents the state, its people and culture as a whole, while the blue colour denotes the autonomy of the assembly secretariat.
About Arunachal Pradesh
- Capital: Itanagar
- Chief Minister- Pema Khandu
- Governor- B.D. Mishra
PM Modi to re-dedicate three restored colonial structures to Kolkata
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi, who is scheduled to visit Kolkata, will “re-dedicate three recently restored iconic buildings” to the people of Kolkata.
- Currency Building, Meltcalfe Hall and Belvedre House are the heritage buildings that have been restored and made vibrant with the intervention of the Ministry of Culture.
- The ministry is also working on developing other iconic buildings and cultural spaces in Mumbai, Delhi, Ahmedabad and Varanasi.
- The Currency Building was built in 1833. It was designed in Italian style with cast iron gates and Venetian windows. The RBI operated from the building till 1937 after which it was abandoned. The building was declared as a protected monument by the archaeological survey of India in 2002.
- The building was named after Lord Metacalfe. He was the Governor General of India between March 1835 and March 1836. It is famous for its 30 Corinthia It was built to honour his efforts towards free press. The building houses public library collection.
- The Belvedere House was Mir Jafar’s palace. Later it housed several governors of Bengal and viceroys of India.
J&K likely to have SMS-based taxi aggregator scheme soon
- In Jammu and Kashmir, the LG administration is mulling to bring Application and SMS based Taxi Aggregator Scheme to ensure quality of services, safety, vehicle profile, drivers’ credentials, and regulation of fares and arrangement of services.
- In this regard, Lieutenant Governor, Girish Chandra Murmu has directed the officers to call the Expression of Interest (EoI) for implementing the scheme within a period of one month.
- The Lt Governor asked the Transport Department to prepare a Data Base enlisting all the details of the licenses, vehicles, drivers and operators, which shall be notified for the public. The Lt Governor further directed the officers to ensure that all the new Government vehicles shall be BS-6 compliant in terms of emission standards.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: APPOINTMENTS AND RESIGNATION
Uttam Agarwal resigns as independent director of Yes Bank
- Uttam Prakash Agarwal,an independent director and chairman of YES Bank’s Audit Committee, has resigned citing corporate governance failure.
About Yes bank
- Headquarters: Mumbai, Maharashtra
- MD & CEO: Ravneet Gill
- Tagline: Experience our Expertise.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: SUMMITS AND CONFERENCE
23rd National Youth Festival-2020 to be organized from 12th to 16th January, 2020
- Ministry of Youth Affairs and Sports and State Government of Uttar Pradesh are jointly organizing 23rd National Youth Festival (NYF) 2020 at Indira Pratishthan, Lucknow from 12th to 16th January, 2020.
- The Government has been organizing National Youth Festival (NYF) since 1995. The objective of NYF is to provide a platform to bring the youth of the country together in an attempt to provide them opportunity to showcase their talents in various activities.
- The theme of the 23rd National Youth Festival 2020 is‘FIT YOUTH FIT INDIA’ in pursuance of the goal of Hon’ble Prime Minister Narendra Modi for New India to be a fit India.
- From 13th January to 16th January, different Competitive (Folk Dance, One Act Play, Hindustani Vocal Solo, Carnatic Vocal Solo, Elocution, harmonium Light, Tabla, Mridangam, Veena, Flute, Sitar, Guitar, Dances Manipuri, Odissi, Kuchupuri, Bharatnatyam, Kathak) and Non Competitive Events (Young Artist Camp, Yuva Kriti, Food festival, Adventure Camp, Suvichar, Youth Convention) will be organized.
5th edition of The Pulses Conclave to be held in Maharashtra
- India Pulses and Grains Association (IPGA), the nodal body for India’s pulses trade & industry announced that the 5th edition The Pulses Conclave, their biennial global pulses conference will be held from 12th to 14th February, 2020 at Amby Valley City in Lonavala, Maharashtra.
- IPGA expects close to 1500 trade stakeholders from India and key pulses exporting countries like the USA, Australia, Canada, Myanmar, Ethiopia, etc. to participate in the conclave.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: AWARDS AND HONOURS
Indian scientists receive award for remarkable research
- Indian researchers have received first Merck Young Scientist Award 2019 in Chemical Sciences recently at Bangalore instituted by Merck, a science and technology company operating worldwide. Merck Young Scientist Award is given to researchers with less than ten years of experience with expertise in solving some of the toughest problems in chemical sciences.
- Dr Sakya Singha Sen, a senior scientist from National Chemical Laboratory (CSIR-NCL), Pune has been awarded for doing remarkable research in chemical science. Sen and his research team specializes in main group chemistry and involves in the synthesis of compounds with main group element and their catalytic application.
- The other recipient of the award are Dr Debojyoti Chakraborty, Institute of Genomics and Integrative Biology, Delhi (IGIB); Dr Dipyaman Ganguly, CSIR-Indian Institute of Chemical Biology, Kolkata (CSIR-IICB); Dr Siddhesh S Kamat, Indian Institute of Science Education and Research (IISER), Pune; Dr Mahendran K .R, Rajiv Gandhi Centre for Biotechnology, Thiruvananthapuram (RGCB) and; Dr Basker Sundararaju, Indian Institute of Technology, (IIT) Kanpur.
- The winners received cash award of INR 2,00,000 and Travel Award of INR 1,50,000
CURRENT AFFAIRS: RANKING
Narendra Modi fifth biggest geo-political risk of 2020: Eurasia Group
- India under Prime Minister Narendra Modi has been listed as the fifth biggest geo-political risk of 2020, by the political risk consultancy – the Eurasia Group.
- In a list that is topped by elections in the US and followed by events and developments like the US-China technology tug of war on 5G as well as the trade war between Beijing and Washington.
- Eurasia’s annual ‘Top 10 Risks’ of the year list is considered one of the foremost geopolitical indicators among global investors, multinational firms and various financial and business consultancies.
- The top three risks on the list are increasingly unstable US domestic politics under President Donald Trump, “decoupling” of US and China in the technology sphere, and hostile US-China relations.
Haryana, Karnataka and Kerala top State Energy Efficiency Index 2019
- Manipur, Jammu & Kashmir, Jharkhand and Rajasthan perform worst in their groups
- Haryana, Karnataka and Kerala have topped the State Energy Efficiency Index 2019. This index tracks the progress of Energy Efficiency (EE) initiatives in 36 states and union territories based on 97 significant indicators.
- The State Energy Efficiency Index categorises states as ‘Front Runner’, ‘Achiever’, ‘Contender’ and ‘Aspirant’ based on their efforts and achievements towards energy efficiency implementation.
- “The top performing states in the State EE Index 2019 – Haryana, Kerala and Karnataka – are in the ‘Achiever’ category. Since there isn’t any ‘front runner’ state, it can be inferred that a lot more can be done at the state level to realise energy savings from energy efficiency.
CURRENT AFFAIRS : SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY
Gujarat Agro Industries launches imported water-soluble fertilizers
- In a bid to encourage use of high-grade agri-inputs, the Gujarat Agro Industries Corporation (GAIC) has launched imported water-soluble fertilisers in
- The state agency, which promotes agro-based industries in Gujarat, has already imported 300 tonnes of water-soluble fertilizers from
- GAIC’s role will be to import, package and sell the imported water-soluble fertilisers to the farmers through its network of dealers across the State. The new-generation fertilizers will be sold in the market under its brand – ‘AGRO’. It also plans to launch customised grades of stage-specific and crop-specific fertilizers.
- Gujarat has become a front-runner State in terms of area under drip irrigation system.
- The use of water-soluble fertilizers will be the next step for precision agriculture and to produce fruits and vegetables matching global standards.
- The water-soluble fertilisers that were launched include, AGRO MKP, AGRO NOP, AGRO MAP, AGRO NPK, AGRO CN, AGRO SOP.
Recent news related to Gujarat :
- World’s first CNG port terminal to be built in Gujarat
- The GoI has launched the first ever common foundation course called the “Aarambh” for civil servants at the Statue of Unity, Kevadia, Gujarat.
- Gandhinagar becomes Gujarat’s first kerosene free district.
- Uzbekistan Investment Summit modeled on Vibrant Gujarat Summit
- Quick Facts: Emissions Trading Scheme (ETS) of Gujarat
- Garvi Gujarat: 2nd state bhawan of Gujarat inaugurated by PM Modi
CURRENT AFFAIRS: DEFENCE
Indian Navy to continue with Op Sankalp in Gulf region
- Indian Navy continues to monitor the situation in the Gulf region and is maintaining a presence in the region to ensure the security of our sea-borne trade and the safety of Indian Flag Merchant Vessels transiting through the region.
- Since June 2019, an Indian warship is deployed in the Persian Gulf for an operation named Op Sankalp. Launched in the backdrop of an attack on an Indian merchant ship in the Gulf of Oman, the deployment is to provide a sense of reassurance to the Indian merchantmen and respond to any emergency situation.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: SPORTS
Rani Rampal nominated for ‘World Games Athlete of the Year’
- The Indian women’s hockey team captain Rani Rampal has been nominated for the ‘World Games Athlete of the Year’ by the sport’s governing body FIH.
- In all, 25 athletes have been nominated for this award from their respective sports by their international federations and in Rani’s case, the FIH has recommended her name for the award for her outstanding performances and her ability to lead by example, Hockey India said in a statement.
- Rani was instrumental in India qualifying for the first time in back-to-back Olympic Games.
- This will be the 6th edition of the WGA initiative that recognises and honours an athlete or a team for their outstanding performance or for their social commitment or particularly fair behaviour.
Last year, Acrobatic Gymnastics couple Mariia Chernova and Georgii Pataraia (Russia) won the title with 159,348 votes, just ahead of American Powerlifter Jennifer Thompson with 152,865 votes.
International Hockey Federation
- Headquarters: Lausanne, Switzerland
- President: Narinder Batra
- Founded: 7 January 1924
- CEO: Thierry Weil
- Membership: 137 national associations
CURRENT AFFAIRS: OBITUARY
Former MP Gopinath Gajapati Narayan Deo passes away
- The titular head of Odisha’s Gajapati dynasty and former parliamentarian, Gopinath Gajapati Narayan Deo passed away, following prolonged illness. He was 76.
- Deo had represented the Berhampur parliamentary constituency for two terms as a Congress member. He switched over to the BJP in 1998 and joined the ruling BJD a decade later, in 2009.
Sultan Qaboos bin Said of Oman passes away at 79
- Sultan Qaboos bin , the King of Oman passed away , the Royal Court announced. The Sultan’s death was announced by the official Oman News Agency. His death follows a years-long struggle with an illness. He was 79.
- The Diwan has also declared an official three day mourning period, with the country’s flag to be flown at half-mast for the next 40 days in the country.
DAILY CA-10TH JAN
- World Hindi Day-10th jan
- Census India-2021 to begin on 1st April; To be conducted through mobile app
- Indian Railways to source about 1000 MW Solar Power by 2021-22; Nandyal – Yerraguntla section in Guntakal Division has been declared as the first solar section in South Central Railway
- Indian Consulate in Dubai to issue passports under tatkal scheme on same day
- Eight NE states to participate in Madhavpur Mela of Gujarat
- Delhi polls launched 24×7 control room to monitor black money
- Jammu and Kashmir: Tourism Dept launches publicity campaign at SATTE 2020 to showcase diverse tourism attractions
- Kashmir to be connected with rest of India through rail by December 2021
- Kerala’s Chief Minister launches website for NRK’s investment
- Sale of Electoral Bonds at Authorised Branches of State Bank of India (SBI)
- RBI amends KYC norms, allows banks to use V-CIP
- Growth in India projected to ‘decelerate’ to 5 per cent in 2019-2020: World Bank
- SBI launches promotional campaign with Metro Cash & Carry in Bengaluru
- Abhibus ties up with IRCTC
- In a first, HDFC Bank launches myApps to boost digital payments
- India needs 6.3% labour productivity growth to clock 8% GDP: India Ratings
- Zero-Budget Natural Farming: AP govt inks Rs 711 cr loan pact with German bank
- Hudco appoints M Nagaraj as Chairman, Managing Director
- Author Jasbinder Bilan wins UK Costa Children’s award 2019
- Prof. MS Swaminathan & Dr. G Muniratnam chosen for Muppavarapu Venkaiah Naidu National Awards
- ‘Pariksha Pe Charcha 2020’ to be held on 20th Jan
- India to Launch GSAT-30 Communication Satellite
- DBT funds a biotech-kisan hub at Tamil Nadu Agricultural University
- Japan tops list of most powerful passports, India ranks 84th
- Visakhapatnam gearing up to host MILAN 2020
- Folk singer and sarangi maestro Sharif Idu passes away
- Buck Henry, screenwriter behind films like The Graduate and Heaven Can Wait, dies at 89
DAILY CA-11TH JAN
- DPIIT launches paperless licensing process for petroleum road tankers
- Four Indian airports receive international recognition for reducing carbon emissions
- Citizens can soon file grievances on CPGRAMS portal in Indian languages
- Home Minister Amit Shah dedicates National Cyber Crime Reporting Portal to nation
- Mangaluru Junction railway facility gets IMS certification
- Second largest Muslim Congregation in the world Bishwa Ijtema begins in Bangladesh
- Sri Lanka to buy 500 buses from India for USD 15 million
- UP to build Rs 234-crore zoo named after Ashfaqullah Khan
- TN names two state-run varsities after Jayalalithaa
- Arunachal assembly adopts new logo
- PM Modi to re-dedicate three restored colonial structures to Kolkata
- J&K likely to have SMS-based taxi aggregator scheme soon
- Uttam Agarwal resigns as independent director of Yes Bank
- 23rd National Youth Festival-2020 to be organized from 12th to 16th January, 2020
- 5th edition of The Pulses Conclave to be held in Maharashtra
- Indian scientists receive award for remarkable research
- Narendra Modi fifth biggest geo-political risk of 2020: Eurasia Group
- Haryana, Karnataka and Kerala top State Energy Efficiency Index 2019
- Gujarat Agro Industries launches imported water-soluble fertilizers
- Indian Navy to continue with Op Sankalp in Gulf region
- Rani Rampal nominated for ‘World Games Athlete of the Year’
- Former MP Gopinath Gajapati Narayan Deo passes away
- Sultan Qaboos bin Said of Oman passes away at 79