Dear Readers, Daily Current Affairs News Updates about the National and International events were listed here. Read Current Affairs here and stay updated with current news. Candidates those who are preparing for IBPS/SBI/PO/Clerk exam and all other competitive exams can use this and try Current Affairs Quiz to test your knowledge level.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: DAYS
International Dance Day
- The international dance day is celebrated on April 29 every year.
- It was created by the Dance Committee of the International Theatre Institute, partner for the performing arts of United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO). It was created in
About International Theatre Institute
- President– Mohamed Saif-AL-AFKHAM
- Director General– Tobias BIANCONE
- Headquarters– Shanghai, China
- Headquarters- Paris, France
- Head- Audrey Azoulay
- Founded- 16 November 1945
Ayushman Bharat Diwas
- Ayushman Bharat Diwas is celebrated every year on the 30th of April across the country.
- The day is significant to help provide and promote affordable medical facilities in the remote parts of the country.
- The day included a special scheme that was launched by PM Narendra Modi in the year 2018. The Scheme has various benefits with a cover of 5 lakh rupees per family to be given per year.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: INTERNATIONAL
US provides additional $ 3 million to India to fight Covid-19
- The US will provide an additional $3 million to India through the US Agency for International Development (USTATED) to support its efforts to fight the spread of Covid-19.
- This increases the total assistance provided by the USTATED to India for supporting its efforts against the virus to $ 5.9 million.
- USTATED is providing these funds, in coordination with the Indian government, to the Partnerships for Affordable Healthcare Access and Longevity (PAHAL) project, a financing platform of IPE Global.
- Through the PAHAL project, the USTATED will support the National Health Authority to establish a financing facility that can mobilise resources from the private sector to assist over 20,000 health facilities enrolled under Pradhan Mantri Jan Arogya Yojana (PM-JAY), India’s health insurance scheme for the poor.
About United States:
- Capital: Washington, D.C.
- President: Donald Trump
- Currency : United States dollar (USD)
World Bank approves USD 400 million to enhance India’s coastal resources
- To enhance and safeguard the coastal and marine resources, the World Bank approved USD 400 million multi-year financial support to India. The international financial institution issued a press release stating that financial aid is being offered to improve livelihood opportunities for coastal communities.
- The first phase will cover eight coastal States — Maharashtra, Karnataka, Goa, Kerala, Tamil Nadu, Andhra Pradesh, Odisha, and West Bengal, along with three coastal Union Territories — Puducherry, Andaman, and Nicobar and Daman and Diu. These states and UTs will get USD 180 million in funding, for Enhancing Coastal and Ocean Resource Efficiency (ENCORE).
- The official release stated, The World Bank’s Board of Executive Directors approved USD 400 million multi-year financing envelope to help India enhance its coastal resources, protect coastal populations from pollution, erosion, and sea-level rise, and improve livelihood opportunities for coastal communities.
- Moreover, the ENCORE will “help states prepare state-level Integrated Coastal Zone Management Plans (ICZMPs); provide long-term support to India in meeting national coastal and marine spatial planning needs, and develop and protect more intangible ‘blue’ resources..”
- The USD 400 million loan from the international bank for Reconstruction and Development (IBRD) has a final maturity of 14.5 years including a grace period of five years.
About World Bank:
- Headquarters: Washington, D.C., U.S
- President :David Malpass
- Anshula Kant :MD and CFO
CURRENT AFFAIRS: BANKING AND FINANCE
ADB gives $ 346 mn loan for power sector in rural Maharashtra
- The Asian Development Bank (ADB) stated it has approved a USD 346 million (around Rs 2,616 crore) loan to Indian government to provide reliable power connection in rural areas of Maharashtra.
- Maharashtra is the second-most populous state in India, and about half of the state’s labour force is engaged in agriculture and related activities in the rural areas, ADB stated.
- The loan will support the state government’s high voltage distribution system (HVDS) program for new grid-connected rural agricultural customers across the state, stated the Manila-headquartered multi-lateral funding agency.
- The loan will be under ADB’s results-based lending (RBL) modality, where fund disbursements are linked to the achievement of agreed programme results rather than to upfront expenditures, as is the case with traditional investment lending, ADB stated.
- This first ADB-financed RBL program in South Asia’s energy sector will help in the early construction and installation of metered HVDS through the installation of about 46,800 kilometers of 11 kilovolt (kV) grid extension lines, construction and upgrading of 121 33/11 kV distribution substations.
- The programme will also build institutional capacity in the Maharashtra State Electricity Distribution Company Limited (MSEDCL) on HVDS, it added.
- This loan will be accompanied by a USD 1 million technical assistance from ADB to demonstrate energy and water conservation efforts, the funding agency stated.
About Asian Development Bank:
- Headquarters: Mandaluyong, Philippines
- President: Masatsugu Asakawa
NHB provides liquidity boost through Rs.10,000-cr special refinance facility
- The government-owned National Housing Bank (NHB) has put together a 10,000-crore special refinance facility (SRF) of up to one-year tenor for housing finance companies (HFCs) to partially mitigate their liquidity risk and improve liquidity in the overall housing finance system.
- Though primary lending institutions (PLIs) such as regional rural banks, small finance banks and scheduled commercial banks too are eligible for refinance under SRF, the eligibility criteria that have been prescribed suggest that it is meant exclusively for HFCs.
- One of the eligibility clauses for tapping SRF is that the ratio of individual housing loans to total assets should be a minimum of 51 per cent. Going by this, only HFCs will qualify. Currently, banks are flush with liquidity and may not require refinance.
- NHB has stipulated two other conditions for accessing the short-term SRF by HFCs and other eligible PLIs — their net non-performing assets cannot exceed 7.50 per cent; and they should have extended moratorium to their customers and this should have adversely impacted at least 15 per cent of their cash flows during the moratorium period (March 1 to May 31, 2020).
About National Housing Bank (NHB)
- Founded: 9 July 1988
- Headquarters: New Delhi, India
- Managing Director : Sarada Kumar Hota
KVGB loan scheme for Covid-19-affected MSME borrowers
- Karnataka Vikas Grameen Bank (KVGB), a regional rural bank headquartered in Dharwad, has launched a loan scheme to provide some relief to borrowers whose business activities are disrupted on account of the Covid-19 pandemic.
- Launching the loan scheme ‘Vikas Abhaya’ in Dharwad, P Gopi Krishna, Chairman of KVGB, stated this loan scheme will be an additional credit facility to the eligible existing micro, small and medium enterprise (MSME)
- This scheme will help them tide over the current crisis and ensure continuity of viable business activity.
- The loan will be for the existing MSME customers who have been regular as on February 29.
- A maximum loan of up to 1 lakh will be provided and no collateral security will be insisted upon. The loan is repayable within 36 months, he stated.
About Karnataka Vikas Grameen Bank (KVGB)
- Chairman : P Gopi Krishna
- Headquarters : Dharwad
CURRENT AFFAIRS: MOU
MyGov, VMate collaborates to disperse information on Covid-19
- Short video app VMate has now joined hands with the Government’s citizen engagement platform MyGov to aid the Centre’s efforts in combating the menace of the coronavirus pandemic.
- An official profile of the entity, named MyGovIndia, has been launched on VMate to cater to official information related to the novel virus outbreak and the efforts being made on all fronts to curb its impact.
- The MyGov citizen engagement platform was launched by the Indian government shortly after PM Modi came to power in
- The company mentioned that the profile is also equipped to stream live speeches and announcements.
- The 64th edition of Prime Minister Narendra Modi’s monthly radio program ‘Mann Ki Baat’ was streamed live through the MyGovIndia profile on VMate.
- The first video posted on the profile talks about Aarogya Setu, a mobile application developed by the government of India to connect essential health services with the people in the combined fight against Covid-19.
- The app also contains information regarding risks, best practices, and relevant advisories about the virus outbreak.
- Before the launch of the MyGovIndia profile, VMate had launched a profile titled ‘Myth Buster’, which furnished WHO-sourced information related to the pandemic in an interactive and animated format.
Maruti joins hands with AgVA Healthcare to supply 10,000 ventilators by May-end
- India’s largest carmaker Maruti Suzuki India Limited (MSIL) will complete its first order of 10,000 ventilators in collaboration with AgVA Healthcare, an existing approved manufacturer of ventilators, to the Central government by the end of May.
- It has now reached 250-300 ventilators a day. By the end of this month, planning to hit 400. This means 10,000 ventilators in a month. They will complete the supply of 10,000 ventilators by the end of May.
- Masks are being produced by another joint venture company. They have already supplied two lakh masks to Haryana and one lakh to Gujarat.
About Maruti Suzuki
- CEO- Kenichi Ayukawa
- Headquarters- New Delhi
CURRENT AFFAIRS: APPOINTMENTS AND RESIGNATION
Joe Biden wins Ohio Democratic primary
- Joe Biden has won Ohio’s presidential primary, which was conducted by mail.
- Biden has won 72% of the vote — 623,186 of the 860,347 ballots counted at this point.
- Bernie Sanders won 17% support.
- Several states have been trying to put together last-minute vote-by-mail primaries amid the coronavirus pandemic.
PNB Housing appoints Neeraj Vyas as interim MD and CEO
- PNB Housing Finance has appointed Neeraj Vyas as its interim Managing Director and CEO.
- The term of incumbent Sanjaya Gupta comes to an end on May 4.
- Vyas will be in the new role for a period of eight months, effective from April 28, 2020. Previously, he has worked as Deputy MD and COO of State Bank of India.
About PNB housing Finance
- Interim MD & CEO– Neeraj Vyas
- Founded– November 11,1988
- Head Quarters– New Delhi
Ex-Andhra Bank chief Suresh N Patel to take over as vigilance commissioner
- Former Andhra Bank chief Suresh N Patel will take over as the vigilance commissioner in the anti-corruption watchdog CVC.
- Patel will be administered the oath of office by newly-appointed Central Vigilance Commissioner Sanjay Kothari.
- He was a member of the advisory board for banking and financial frauds of the Central Vigilance Commission (CVC).
- The post of the vigilance commissioner was lying vacant since June last year after T M Bhasin completed his tenure.
- The CVC can have a central vigilance commissioner and two vigilance commissioners.
- At present, Sharad Kumar is working as the other vigilance commissioner.
Former finance secretary Rajiv Kumar appointed PESB chief
- Former finance secretary Rajiv Kumar was appointed as the chairperson of the Public Enterprises Selection Board (PESB) to the post for a period of three years.
- Kumar, retired as the finance secretary in February this year.
- He has been appointed in place of Kapil Dev Tripathi who has recently taken over as the Secretary to President Ram Nath Kovind.
T. S. Tirumurti appointed as Ambassador/Permanent Representative of India to UN
- S. Tirumurti has been appointed as the next Ambassador or Permanent Representative of India to the United Nations.
- Tirumurti is an IFS officer of 1985 batch. He is currently the Secretary in the Ministry of External Affairs. He replaces Sayyad Akbaruddin.
- Tirumurti has played a key role in recent prime ministerial visits and engagements abroad. He has earlier had stints at the permanent mission in Geneva and as director in the foreign secretary’s office and joint secretary (UN, economic and social).
About United Nations:
- Headquarters: New York, United States
- Founded: 24 October 1945
- Secretary general: António Guterres
India Appoints New Ambassadors To Qatar, Bahrain
- Deepak Mittal has been appointed India’s next Ambassador to Qatar, while Piyush Srivastava goes to Bahrain in the same capacity, as per an official release of Ministry of External Affairs (MEA) issued.
- Deepak Mittal is a Joint Secretary in the Ministry of External Affairs. Mr Mittal has served as a Joint Secretary in Pakistan, Afghanistan, and Iran.
- The new appointees are of the 1998 batch of Indian Foreign Service (IFS), and both of them are expected to take up their assignments shortly.
- Capital: Doha
- Currency: Qatari Riyal
- Capital: Manama
- Currency: Bahraini dinar
CURRENT AFFAIRS: RANKING
India at 53rd position in budget transparency, accountability: IBP survey
- India has been placed at 53rd position among 117 nations in terms of budget transparency and accountability, according to Open Budget Survey released .
- The survey, which was conducted by International Budget Partnership (IBP), has provided India’s Union Budget process a transparency score of 49 out of 100, which is higher than the global average of 45. New Zealand tops the chart with a score 87.
- Some of the other large developing countries, with the exception of China, have got much higher transparency scores compared to India.
- South Africa (87), Mexico (82) and Brazil (81) are among the top six countries providing extensive information to public for scrutiny.
- India performs well in publishing timely and relevant information in the audit reports and in-year reports and has scored well and above many other countries, it added.
- However, the survey observed that absence of a published Pre-Budget Statement and not bringing out a Mid-Year Review in 2018-19 pulled down the transparency score for the Union Budget of India.
About International Budget Partnership (IBP) :
- Headquarters: Washington, D.C., United States
- Founded: 1997
- Executive Director : Warren Krafchik
CURRENT AFFAIRS: SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY
HCARD robot to assist frontline Covid-19 healthcare workers
- The robotic device HCARD, in short for Hospital Care Assistive Robotic Device, can help frontline healthcare workers in maintaining physical distance from those infected by coronavirus.
- HCARD is developed by Durgapur-based CSIR lab, Central Mechanical Engineering Research Institute. The device is equipped with various state-of-the-art technologies and works both in automatic as well as manual modes of navigation.
- This robot can be controlled and monitored by a nursing booth with a control station having such features as navigation, drawer activation for providing medicines and food to patients, sample collection and audio-visual communication.
- CSIR-CMERI is working on war footing to minimize the impact of COVID-19 through technological interventions. As spelt out by WHO, personal protective equipment (PPE) is very important in preventing transmission of coronavirus in the society, the Institute has channelized its resources optimally to develop PPE and community-level safety equipment for helping the public at large and healthcare institutions.
- Scientists at CMERI have also developed a few other customized technologies, including Disinfection Walkway, Road Sanitizer Unit, Face Mask, Mechanical Ventilator and Hospital Waste Management Facility.
- Headquarters : New Delhi
- Director General : Shekhar C. Mande
CURRENT AFFAIRS: DEFENCE
US Navy to host world’s largest maritime exercises in Hawaii again this year
- US Navy to host world’s largest maritime exercises in Hawaii again this year
- The United States Navy has stated that it will host the world’s largest maritime exercises in Hawaii, but the drills will only be held at sea because of the Corona virus.
- The Navy has held the Rim of the Pacific exercises in Hawaii every two years since the early 1970s.
- It stated the modified exercise was a way to conduct a meaningful exercise with maximum training value and minimum risk to the force, allies and partners, and the people of Hawaii.
- The drills will also be held over two weeks, from 17th to 31st August , instead of the usual five weeks of events from late June to early August.
- Other RIMPAC participants including Japan have also experienced outbreaks.
Other Military Exercises With Indian Army :
|1.||Australia||Ex AUSTRA HIND, Ex AUSINDEX, EX PITCH BLACK|
|2.||Bangladesh||Ex SAMPRITI, IN-BN CORPAT, IN-BN BILAT,|
IN-BN SF EXERCISE, TABLE TOP EX, SAMVEDNA
|3.||Brazil & South Africa||IBSAMAR|
|4.||China||Ex HAND IN HAND|
|5.||USA||Ex YUDHABHAYAS, Ex VAJRA PRAHAR, SPITTING COBRA, SANGAM (IN-USN EOD Ex), RED FLAG, Ex COPE INDIA|
CURRENT AFFAIRS: BOOKS AND AUTHORS
Uma Balasubramaniam Newest Book on India’s Unsung Hero: Sayajirao Gaekwad III: The Maharaja of Baroda
- Uma Balasubramaniam’s latest historical epic biography titled, ‘Sayajirao Gaekwad III: The Maharaja of Baroda’ captures the life of a great ruler.
- This book has been written with an intention to enlighten people about one ofIndia’s forgotten kings, who worked assiduously towards building a modernized India and also contributed towards India’s fight for freedom.
- The book was published by Rupa Publications.
About the Author
- Uma Balasubramaniam broadminded views are evident in her writings, particularly in her debut novel Beyond The Horizon, published in 2015. Uma began her writing career in 2002 contributing to various publications like The Hindu, The Indian Express and the Deccan Chronicle.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: SPORTS
India lose hosting rights of 2021 men’s world boxing championships
- India lost the hosting rights of the 2021 men’s world boxing championship to Serbia after the International Boxing association alleged non-payment of host fee by the national federation, which claimed that AIBA “acted in haste”.
- The Boxing Federation of India acknowledged the delay but blamed it on “procedural complications” arising out of the AIBA’s failure to resolve “issues” with regards to the account in which the money was to be transferred.
- The payment of what is estimated to be $4 million was due to be made on December 2 last year.
- After New Delhi didn’t fulfill its obligations to pay host fee as mentioned in the Host City Agreement terms, AIBA has terminated the contract. Therefore, India would have to pay a cancellation penalty of $500000, the AIBA stated in a statement.
About International Boxing Association:
- Headquarters location: Lausanne, Switzerland
- President: Gafur Rakhimov
CURRENT AFFAIRS: OBITUARY
Rishi Kapoor passes away at 67
- Rishi Kapoor, the romantic star of many a Bollywood film who was diagnosed with leukemia in 2018, died in a Mumbai hospital. He was 67.
- Rishi, a third generation actor of the famous Kapoor dynasty, is survived by his wife Neetu Kapoor, actor son Ranbir and daughter Ridhima.
- Rishi made his first screen appearance as a child artiste in his father Raj Kapoor’s film Shri 420 , where he appeared in the song Pyaar hua ekraar hua . This was followed by “Mera Naam Joker”.
- His notable films as a romantic hero are “Laila Majnu”, “Rafoo Chakkar”, “Karz”, “Chandni”, “Heena” and “Saagar“.
- He was, however, more proud of his second innings as an actor, which he found more satisfying. His notable films as a character artiste are “Do Dooni Chaar” with wife Neetu, “Agnipath” and “Kapoor & Sons”.
DAILY CA 29th APR
- World Veterinary Day -25th april
- ADB approves $1.5 billion loan for India to fight coronavirus pandemic
- India extends USD 150 million foreign currency swap support to Maldives
- Airtel signs $1 billion deal with Nokia to improve 4G network experience
- Bharti AXA General ties up with PolicyBazaar
- Moody’s slashes India’s growth estimate to 2% for 2020 from 2.5%
- Amazon India launches special fund to help its SMB partners in logistics
- WCD Ministry takes unique initiative ‘doorstep Aanganwadi‘ to reach out to children during lockdown in Gujarat
- AP govt launches fee reimbursement scheme for students
- MP CM launches ‘Jeevan Amrit Yojana’ scheme to boost immunity system of citizens
- Shiv Das Meena takes charge as HUDCO’s CMD
- Bureaucratic reshuffle in govt, Tarun Bajaj appointed DEA Secretary
- J Arunkumar named USA men’s head coach
- Team Led By IIT Bombay Student Develops Low-Cost Mechanical Ventilator ‘Ruhdaar‘
- Biocon chief Kiran Mazumdar-Shaw recognised among world s top 20 inspirational leaders in Biopharma
- Michael Robinson, former Liverpool player and broadcaster, passes away
- Actor Irrfan Khan, 53, dies of colon infection at a Mumbai hospital
DAILY CA 30th APR
- International Dance Day- 29th april
- Ayushman Bharat Diwas- 30th april
- US provides additional $ 3 million to India to fight Covid-19
- US Navy to host world’s largest maritime exercises in Hawaii again this year
- ADB gives $ 346 mn loan for power sector in rural Maharashtra
- NHB provides liquidity boost through 10,000-cr special refinance facility
- KVGB loan scheme for Covid-19-affected MSME borrowers
- World Bank approves USD 400 million to enhance India’s coastal resources
- MyGov, VMate collaborates to disperse information on Covid-19
- Maruti joins hands with AgVA Healthcare to supply 10,000 ventilators by May-end
- Joe Biden wins Ohio Democratic primary
- PNB Housing appoints Neeraj Vyas as interim MD and CEO
- Ex-Andhra Bank chief Suresh N Patel to take over as vigilance commissioner
- Former finance secretary Rajiv Kumar appointed PESB chief
- S. Tirumurti appointed as Ambassador/Permanent Representative of India to UN
- India Appoints New Ambassadors To Qatar, Bahrain
- India at 53rd position in budget transparency, accountability: IBP survey
- HCARD robot to assist frontline Covid-19 healthcare workers
- Uma Balasubramaniam Newest Book on India’s Unsung Hero: Sayajirao Gaekwad III: The Maharaja of Baroda
- India lose hosting rights of 2021 men’s world boxing championships
- Rishi Kapoor passes away at 67