This post is also available in: हिन्दी (Hindi)
Dear Readers, Daily Current Affairs News Updates about the National and International events were listed here. Read Current Affairs Today here and stay updated with current news. Candidates those who are preparing for IBPS/SBI/PO/Clerk exam and all other competitive exams can use this and try Current Affairs Quiz to test your knowledge level.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: NATIONAL
Union Minister Prakash Javadekar launches portal on Human Elephant Conflict on World Elephant Day
- The Minister for Environment and Forest Prakash Javadekar released document on Best Practices and launched a portal on Human Elephant Conflict on the eve of World Elephant Day, 2020.
- Mr Javadekar stated, efforts are in full swing to provide food and water to the animals in the forests itself to deal with the growing human-animal conflict cases.
- He stated, India is committed to the cause of saving elephants and other animals and is working towards robust, practical and cost effective solutions to end the human animal conflict.
- He stated, Government has taken initiative of fodder and water augmentation in forest areas so that animals will get food and water in forest area and will not come outside. He added that LiDAR technology is being used for it.
- Minister of State for Environment and Forest Babul Supriyo stated, it is a moment of pride that India is having 60 percent of Global population of Asian Elephants. The World Elephant Day is observed every year on 12th August to spread awareness about the animal. It was launched in 2012 to bring attention to the urgent plight of Asian and African elephants.
- Poaching, habitat loss, human-elephant conflict and mistreatment in captivity are some of the threats to both African and Asian elephants.
- Indian Elephant has also been listed in the Appendix I of the Convention of the Migratory species in the recently concluded 13th Conference of Parties on Conservation of Migratory Species of Wild Animals (CMS) at Gandhi Nagar, Gujarat in February this year.
About Ministry of Environment, Forest and Climate Change:
- Prakash Javadekar, Cabinet Minister
- Constituency:Madhya Pradesh
- Babul Supriyo, Minister of State
FM Nirmala Sitharaman inaugurates NIP Online Dashboard
- Finance and Corporate Affairs Minister Nirmala Sitharaman inaugurated the National Infrastructure Pipeline, NIP, Online Dashboard in New Delhi through video conferencing.
- The online dashboard is envisaged as a one stop solution for all stakeholders looking for information on infrastructure projects in New India.
- The dashboard is being hosted on the India Investment Grid, IIG indiainvestmentgrid.gov.in. IIG is an interactive and dynamic online platform that showcases d and real-time investment opportunities in the country.
- She stated, the availability of NIP projects on IIG will ensure easy accessibility to project information and attract investors for PPP projects.
- The Minister has asked all concerned Department and Ministries to immediately the status of projects on NIP portal and keep it in real time.
Govt aims to develop 10 Craft and Handloom Villages in India: Smriti Irani
- Union Minister Smriti Irani stated the government is aiming to develop ten Craft and Handloom Villages in the country so that tourists from across the globe can visit them and learn the rich legacy of Indian weavers and lend support to the Make in India initiative.
- Almost 95% of the handwoven fabrics used globally are produced in India.
- The minister stated the National Handloom Awards, which are presented on the occasion of the Handloom Day, are being deferred upon the request of weavers who wish to celebrate the honour instead of receiving it digitally due to the prevailing circumstances posed by COVID-19.
- Irani shared that students from the National Institute of Fashion Technology (NIFT) are contributing to the upgradation of 9 out of 28 Weavers’ Service Centres across the country in terms of design, marketing and research.
- These centres are located in Delhi, Srinagar, Jaipur, Mumbai, Ahmedabad, Varanasi, Guwahati, Kanchipuram and Bhubaneswar.
About Ministry of Textiles:
- Minister of Textiles and Minister of Women and Child development: Smriti Irani
- Constituency: Amethi
CURRENT AFFAIRS: INTERNATIONAL
India, Maldives ink contract for development of five eco-tourism zones in Addu atoll of island nation
- India and Maldives signed a contract for development of five eco-tourism zones in Addu atoll of the island nation.
- Maldives foreign secretary Abdul Ghafoor, MPs representing Addu city and Indian high commissioner Sunjay Sudhir participated in the ceremony.
- These eco tourism zones are part of grant projects being implemented under the High-Impact Community Development project (HICDP) scheme which involves a total grant assistance of 5 million US dollars to the Maldives. Currently, there are 9 such high-impact projects being implemented in the Maldives.
- High Commissioner Sunjay Sudhir, in his remarks, highlighted that developing high-impact assets, building capacities within the local councils and supporting of the local island economy are most important objectives of these projects.
- He recalled that contracts for the other three HICDP projects in Addu, relating to setting up of fish-processing plants, were awarded last month.
About Maldives :
- Capital: Malé
- Currency: Maldivian rufiyaa
Russian President Vladimir Putin announces world’s first COVID-19 vaccine
- Russian President Vladimir Putin launched the country’s first coronavirus vaccine, touted as the first in the world News agency Reuters reported that Putin’s daughter received a shot of the vaccine. Earlier, it was reported that the country would register its vaccine candidate on , August 12.
- The country has registered the world’s first coronavirus vaccine, amid widespread concerns about the rapidly developed vaccine’s safety.
- The Health Ministry announced that it plans to begin mass production in September and launch a mass vaccination drive in October. The vaccine developed by the state-run Gamaleya research institute entered phase 3 clinical trials.
- President: Vladimir Putin
- Capital: Moscow
- Currency: Russian Rouble
CURRENT AFFAIRS: STATES
Assam council of ministers approves “Assam Non-Government Education Institutions (Regulation of Fees) Rules 2020”
- In Assam, the council of ministers approved the Assam Non-Government Education Institutions (Regulation of Fees) Rules 2020.
- This would regulate the fees structure of the private educational institutes.The council of ministers meeting also approved the Assam Street Vendors (Protection of Livelihood and Regulation of Street Vending) scheme 2020.
- The meeting also took decision for implementation of ‘Uberization’ scheme of Assam State Transport Corporation. Under this scheme, 668 new buses would operate for 5 years.
- A decision was also taken to create 2 new companies of State Disaster Response Force.
- Capital: Dispur
- Governor: Jagdish Mukhi
- Chief Minister: Sarbananda Sonowal
Khadi’s first silk training-cum-production centre to come up in Arunachal
- The far-flung tribal village of Chullyu in Arunachal Pradesh will soon be bustling with spinning and weaving activities with the Khadi and Village Industries Commission (KVIC) set to open the first-of-its kind training-cum-production centre of silk in the state.
- The KVIC has refurbished and converted a dilapidated school building into the training cum production centre. The school building has been provided to the KVIC by the education department of Arunachal Pradesh government on zero rent.
- Machinery like hand looms, charkha, silk reeling machines and warping drums have already arrived and installation of machines is in full swing. The project was conceived in February this year during the visit of KVIC Chairman Vinai Kumar Saxena to the tribal village of Chullyu.
- Identifying a great potential of silk production and other activities in the village, Saxena immediately sanctioned the setting up of a training cum production centre for the Eri Silk, which is traditionally worn by the local tribals. The work, however, progressed at a slow pace due to the Covid-19 lockdown.
- Located on the main highway just 30 km before the most popular tourist spot of Ziro, Chullyu is a scenic village known for its eco-friendly ways of living. It is easily approachable by tourists, which is an advantage for the local artisans.
- The KVIC will also create an exclusive page on its online portal to market their products, he added.
- The development assumes significance as the tribal population in Arunachal Pradesh, men and women alike, traditionally wear Eri Silk and Khadi cotton clothes which carries a deep significance to their egalitarian tribal society. However, the people of the state have to buy silk from the outside markets, including those from Assam.
- Headquarters: Mumbai
- Chairperson :Vinai Kumar Saxena
About Arunachal Pradesh:
- Capital: Itanagar
- Governor: D. Mishra
- Chief Minister: Pema Khandu
Chhattisgarh CM Launches Indira Van Mitan Yojana
- Chief Minister Bhupesh Baghel announced the launch of Indira Van Mitan Yojana on the occasion of World Tribal Day.
- He stated that under this scheme, groups of youth will be formed in 10,000 villages of tribal area of the state and all forest-based economic activities will be conducted through these groups.
- New doors will open for self-employment and prosperity of the forest dwellers through these groups. Under this scheme, arrangements for procurement, processing and marketing of forest produce will be ensured through groups. The government has set a target of establishing forest produce processing centres in every tribal development block of the state.
- Baghel stated that groups will be formed under this scheme in 10,000 villages of scheduled areas, in which youth will be given priority.
- The Indira Van Mitan scheme aims to add 19 lakh families from scheduled areas. Through this scheme, groups will be empowered to manage trees, so that they can collect the forest produce from the trees of the forest areas and get economic benefits. The purchase of forest produce will be arranged through the group, so that the right price of forest produce can be obtained.
- The estimated cost of a unit would be around Rs 10 lakh. An amount of Rs 8.50 crore will be made available for establishment of forest produce processing unit in 85 development blocks of scheduled areas. Instead of timber, fruit and vegetation plants will be planted in the forests, which can increase the income of forest dwellers.
- Capital : Raipur
- Chief minister: Bhupesh Baghel
- Governor: Anusuiya Uikey
Chhattisgarh’s Jagdalpur Becomes Country’s First Municipal Corporation To Provide Forestland Right Certificates To People Of Urban Area
- Chhattisgarh’s Jagdalpur has become the first municipal corporation in the country where people of an urban area have been provided forest land right certificates.
- On the occasion of the International Day of World’s Indigenous Peoples, Chief Minister Bhupesh Baghel commenced the distribution of forestland right certificates by giving away the certificates to four beneficiaries of Jagdalpur via video conferencing.
- Jagdalpur is among the few municipal corporations, jurisdiction areas of which includes forestlands. Nearly 1,777 applications have been received for forestland right certificates, which will be resolved as per the rules.
- Baghel stated the Forest Rights Act has the provision of allotting forestland lease to the eligible forest dwellers in forestland of urban areas. But till date, this provision was not enacted.
- Enactment of this provision has started in Chhattisgarh in public interest, he stated.
- On the occasion, the Chief Minister approved sanction of Rs 6 crores and allotment of 5 acres of land to the Koya Kutma community on the request of MLA Chitrakote Rajman Benham.
- He also approved a community hall for Koya Kutma community and a museum for preserving the historical and archaeological heritages, art and culture of Bastar.
- The Chief Minister distributed cheques to 271 beneficiaries symbolically under the Shaheed Veer Narayan Swalamban Yojana. He felicitated 140 meritorious tribal students with cheques worth Rs 5,100 and certificates for outstanding performance in Class 12 and 10 examinations.
Khattar launches anti-bullying campaign of Faridabad police
- Chief Minister Manohar Lal Khattar launched the anti-bullying campaign of Faridabad police by unveiling its Instagram, Facebook and Twitter pages to flag the problem of bullying at home, in neighbourhood, schools, colleges and workplace. The district police aims to implement targeted programmes to counter the menace of bullying.
- It is the aim of Chief Minister Manohar Lal to disrupt anti-social transactions that foster violent and predatory behaviour in society. The campaign will particularly target teenagers, the segment worst affected by the problem. Bullying destroys a victim’s confidence, impairs their personality development, stunts their social intelligence and drives them to depression and a host of other diseases,” a Faridabad police stated.
- Under the campaign, people will be encouraged to follow Instagram, Facebook and Twitter page with username @FBDpolice. It will carry interactive posts to make people aware of the prevalence of bullying. Besides, it will also have a platform for victims of bullying where they can report bullies.
- Police will follow it up with counselling bullies with the help of NGOs working with youth at risk. Against the violent and incorrigible, the police will take legal action under appropriate sections of law.
- Capital: Chandigarh
- Chief minister: Manohar Lal Khattar
- Governor: Satyadev Narayan Arya
CURRENT AFFAIRS: MOU
Andhra Govt Signs MoU With US Based IT Firm To Setup Centre At Visakhapatnam
- The three capital formula for Andhra Pradesh seems to be helping Chief Minister Jagan Mohan Reddy government in gaining investment not just for Amaravati, but also for Visakhapatnam, among other regions in the State.
- The Andhra government signed an MoU with The Boston Group to set up a facility devoted to research and development (R&D) in the Information Technology sector with focus on learning platforms and leveraging advanced technologies like artificial intelligence (AI), machine learning (ML) and cybersecurity.
- The MoU was signed in the presence of Rathnakar Pandugayala, Special Representative to AP Government for North America and Subu Kota, the chairman of The Boston Group and People Prime Worldwide. The move is expected to create over 250 jobs in the IT sector in Andhra.
About The Boston Group:
- CEO: Rich Lesser
- Headquarters: Boston, Massachusetts, United States
Bihar Pollution Control Board signs MoA with IIT, Delhi for air quality management
- The Bihar State Pollution Control Board has signed a ‘Memorandum of Agreement’ (MoA) with IIT, Delhi for setting up of geographical information system (GIS) based platform for air quality management in the state.
- The agreement, which was signed, will help in identifying sources and transport of PM 2.5 at a “very high resolution” and help the board to identify “effective mitigation measures”, a Bihar State Pollution Control Board release stated.
- This study will prove to be a crucial step in identifying sources and transport of PM 2.5 at a very high resolution which will help the board to identify effective mitigation measures. The mapping will be done at a “very high resolution” of one square km using satellite and ground-based measurement systems.
- “These maps will help in developing a strategy to minimise exposure with the help of modelling and survey,” the pollution control board stated. Further, using satellite data the study will identify the districts and villages where open burning is prevalent. Additionally, a detailed air mass trajectory analysis will be carried out to identify the transport path of air pollution to the non-attainment cities.
- Capital: Patna
- Governor: Phagu Chauhan
- Chief Minister: Nitish Kumar
CURRENT AFFAIRS: APPOINTMENTS AND RESIGNATIONS
Walter Martos sworn in as new Prime Minister of Peru
- Walter Roger Martos Ruiz was sworn in as the new Prime Minister of Peru to replace Pedro Cateriano.
- Led by Peruvian President Martin Vizcarra, the act sees the presence of members of the outgoing Cabinet.
- The new President of the Council of Ministers had served as Defense Minister and is a retired Army General.
- He graduated in Military Sciences from the Chorrillos Military School and holds Master’s Degrees in Military Sciences as well as in Strategic Planning and Decision Making from the Army’s Superior War College.
- Furthermore, he served as the Army Chief of Staff and the Armed Forces Chief of Staff.
- Currency: Sol
- Capital : lima
CURRENT AFFAIRS: AWARDS AND HONOURS
MS Swaminathan award for environment protection conferred upon RS Paroda
- The Rotary Club of Madras East has conferred the MS Swaminathan Award for Environment Protection 2019 upon RS Paroda the Founder Chairman of the Trust for Advancement of Agricultural Sciences (TAAS), New Delhi for his enormous contributions in the field of plant breeding and genetic resource management and his leadership in establishing over 20 institutions in the field of crops, horticulture, livestock, natural resource management, fisheries, agricultural engineering and social science sectors.
- A Padma Bhushan awardee, Paroda was a former Director General of the Indian Council of Agricultural Research (ICAR) and Secretary, Department of Agricultural Research and Education, Government of India.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: SPORTS
Max Verstappen wins 70th Anniversary Grand Prix
- Red Bull’s Max Verstappen took a sensational surprise victory in the 70th Anniversary Grand Prix to bring Mercedes’ domination to an end.
- Verstappen’s win was founded on his car being kinder to its tyres than the Mercedes of Lewis Hamilton and Valtteri Bottas and the Dutchman capitalised brilliantly.
- Hamilton fought back from early struggles to catch and pass Bottas for second place with two laps to go.
- Ferrari’s Charles Leclerc was outstanding in taking fourth on a one-stop strategy.
- It was an unexpectedly thrilling race, a fitting testament to the occasion as F1 celebrated 70 years since the F1 championship started at Silverstone in 1950.
- Verstappen’s victory was a major upset and it was helped by a decision to use the hard tyres for the start of the race.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: BOOKS AND AUTHORS
Mizoram governor wrote 13 books during lockdown
- Mizoram Chief Minister Zoramthanga has released ‘Corona Kavithakal’, a collection of poems, written by Governor PS Sreedharan Pillai during the lockdown.
- The governor has recently penned at least 13 books in English and Malayalam.
- Two more books, ‘Republic Day 2020’ and ‘Thus Speaks the Governor’, written by Pillai, were also released by Gauhati High Court Chief Justice Ajai Lamba through a video message.
- On the occasion, the governor shared how he has derived inspiration for writing books.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: DEFENCE
Indian Armed Forces contingent heads to Russia for war games next month
- India gets ready to participate in the Russian Kavkaz 2020 strategic command-post exercise. All the bilateral and multilateral military exercises had been put on hold due to the global pandemic of COVID-19 and now their resumption is starting gradually.
- The exercise comes at a time when the tensions between India and China are growing along the Line of Actual Control in Eastern Ladakh. China and Pakistan are also invited to participate in KavKaz 2020 as both countries are members of the Shanghai Cooperation Organisation (SCO).
- According to sources, “a tri-service contingent with 150 Army personnel and from Air Force and Navy will be heading to Astrakhan in Southern Russia for the exercise.”
- The exercise is scheduled for September 15-26 and there will be participation from atleast 18 countries in KavKaz 2020 including countries from Central Asian Republics who are part of SCO as well as China, Iran, Pakistan and Turkey.
WWE legend Kamala passes away at 70
- One of the most iconic superstars of WWE, James Harris, popularly known as Kamala, passed away at the age of 70.
- Under the frightening face paint of Kamala, the 6-foot-7, 380-pound Harris battled the greatest Superstars in sports-entertainment history, including Hulk Hogan, The Undertaker and Andre the Giant. He terrorised opponents and thrilled audiences in Mid-South, World Class Championship Wrestling, WCW and WWE.
- Despite retiring, Kamala made appearances on shows until 2006 but started facing health issues with both his legs amputated. This was before undergoing an emergency surgery in 2017 that put on life support due to complications.
DAILY CA 9th & 10th AUG
- International Day of the World’s Indigenous Peoples-9th aug
- Nagasaki Day- 9th aug
- World Bio-Fuel Day- 10th aug
- PM Modi launches week long campaign ‘Gandagi, Bharat Chorho’
- PM Modi Launches Rs 1 Lakh Crore Finance Facility For Agri-Infrastructure
- Indian Railways committed to integrate with GeM portal
- Panel set up to fix ceiling rates under duty reimbursement scheme for exporters
- India will be self-sufficient in Active Pharmaceutical Ingredients production in next 2 years
- Indian Traders Launch ‘China Quit India’ Campaign To Boycott Chinese Goods
- Defence minister Rajnath Singh to launch Atmanirbhar Bharat Saptah
- PM Modi inaugurates submarine Optical Fibre Cable connecting Chennai, Port Blair
- Bangladesh to construct memorial for Indian soldiers martyred in 1971 liberation war
- CDSL gets nod for e-KYC authentication
- Punjab Cricket Association’s new international stadium to be named after Patiala’s last ruler
- Meghalaya Cabinet approves 50 percent reservation for women in Village Employment Councils
- Piyush Goyal, Pralhad Joshi dedicate Railway Museum at Hubballi in Karnataka through video conferencing
- Flipkart signs MoU with UP government’s one District, One Product scheme
- NHAI inks pact with IIT-Delhi to set up centre of excellence for use of AI in decision making
- CSIR, FSSAI sign MoU for collaborative research on food and nutrition
- JCB India appoints Deepak Shetty as its new deputy CEO and MD
- MHA Sends Senior And Mid-Level IPS Officers To Paramilitary Forces, Some Elevated
- Delhi Airport Develops Air Suvidha Online Portal For International Passengers
- Jamia students’ crop prediction software wins Rs 1 lakh at Smart India Hackathon 2020
- Nitin Sethi bags ACJ investigative Journalism award
- Rockefeller Foundation picks Naandi Foundation for Food Vision 2050 prize of $200,000
- Mukesh Ambani Now World’s 4th Richest Person: Report
- Duke University Scientists develop low-cost method to test mask effectiveness against viral droplets
- IndusInd Bank acquires 7.82% stake in Eveready by invoking pledged shares
- India to host 2021 ICC Men’s T20 World Cup; Women’s ODI World Cup postponed to 2022
- Former India and Mohun Bagan footballer Manitombi Singh passes away
- Congress leader Nandi Yellaiah passes away
DAILY CA 11th AUG
- Union Minister Prakash Javadekar launches portal on Human Elephant Conflict on World Elephant Day
- FM Nirmala Sitharaman inaugurates NIP Online Dashboard
- Govt aims to develop 10 Craft and Handloom Villages in India: Smriti Irani
- India, Maldives ink contract for development of five eco-tourism zones in Addu atoll of island nation
- Russian President Vladimir Putin announces world’s first COVID-19 vaccine
- Assam council of ministers approves “Assam Non-Government Education Institutions (Regulation of Fees) Rules 2020”
- Khadi’s first silk training-cum-production centre to come up in Arunachal
- Chhattisgarh CM Launches Indira Van Mitan Yojana
- Chhattisgarh’s Jagdalpur Becomes Country’s First Municipal Corporation To Provide Forestland Right Certificates To People Of Urban Area
- Khattar launches anti-bullying campaign of Faridabad police
- Andhra Govt Signs MoU With US Based IT Firm To Setup Centre At Visakhapatnam
- Bihar Pollution Control Board signs MoA with IIT, Delhi for air quality management
- Walter Martos sworn in as new Prime Minister of Peru
- MS Swaminathan award for environment protection conferred upon RS Paroda
- Max Verstappen wins 70th Anniversary Grand Prix
- Mizoram governor wrote 13 books during lockdown
- Indian Armed Forces contingent heads to Russia for war games next month
- WWE legend Kamala passes away at 70