This post is also available in: हिन्दी (Hindi)
Dear Readers, Daily Current Affairs News Updates about the National and International events were listed here. Read Current Affairs Today here and stay updated with current news. Candidates those who are preparing for IBPS/SBI/PO/Clerk exam and all other competitive exams can use this and try Current Affairs Quiz to test your knowledge level.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: DAYS
World Organ Donation Day
- Organ Donation Day is observed every year on13th of August.
- The aim of this day is to motivate normal human beings to pledge to donate organs after death, and to spread awareness about the importance of organ donation.
Youm-e-Azadi (Pakistan Independence Day)
- Youm-e-Azadi or Pakistan Independence Day is observed annually on 14 August.
- On this day Pakistan achieved Independence and was declared a sovereign nation following the end of British rule in
CURRENT AFFAIRS: NATIONAL
India’s Katra-Delhi Express Road to be completed by 2023
- The work has started on the first-of-its-kind Katra-Delhi express road corridor, which will be ready by 2023 and when it becomes functional, the travel time from Katra to Delhi will get reduced to around six and half hours, and from Jammu to Delhi to just about six hours.
- It was announced by Union Minister Jitendra Singh.
- The hallmark of this road corridor is that it will connect the holy cities of Katra and Amritsar, and at the same time offer connectivity for some other major important religious shrines between the two destinations.
- The project is estimated to cost over Rs350bn ($4.6bn). This corridor will pass through Jammu and Kathua in the state of Jammu and Kashmir, as well as Jalandhar, Amritsar, Kapurthala and Ludhiana in Punjab.
- The project will also involve simultaneous widening of the National Highway between Pathankot and Jammu. This highway will be upgraded from four lanes to six lanes.
- Development of North Eastern Region and Minister of State for Prime Minister’s Office: Jitendra Singh
- Constituency: J&K
Rajnath Singh launches Naval Innovation and Indigenisation Organisation
- Defence Minister Rajnath Singh launched the Naval Innovation and Indigenisation Organisation (NIIO) through an online webinar. The NIIO puts in place dedicated structures for the end users to interact with academia and industry towards fostering innovation and indigenisation for self-reliance in defence.
- The Draft Defence Acquisition Policy 2020 (DAP 20) rolled out by the Defence Ministry last month envisaged establishment of Innovation and Indigenisation Organisation by the Service Headquarters. Indian Navy already has a functional Directorate of Indigenisation and the new structures created will build upon the ongoing indigenisation initiatives, as well as focus on innovation.
- The Indian Navy signed Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) with Uttar Pradesh Expressway Industrial Development Authority, Raksha Shakti University of Gujarat, Maker Village in Kochi and Society of Indian Defence Manufacturers. A compendium of Indian Navy’s Indigenisation perspective plans titled ‘SWAVLAMBAN’ was also released.
About Ministry of defence:
- Rajnath Singh, Minister of Defence
- Constituency: Lucknow
- Shripad Yesso Naik, Minister of State for Defence
CURRENT AFFAIRS: INTERNATIONAL
India extends USD 1 million assistance to Antigua, Barbuda to combat COVID-19
- India has extended an assistance of USD 1 million to Antigua and Barbuda to combat the COVID-19 outbreak.
- This assistance is aimed at improving health infrastructure and capacities in Antigua and Barbuda.
- The same level of assistance, i.e. USD 1 million, has been offered to each Caribbean Community (CARICOM) CARICOM is a group of twenty developing countries in the Caribbean.
- This assistance of USD 1 million from India will be used for improving health infrastructure in Antigua and Barbuda, for procurement of life-saving medical supplies and equipment like ventilators, etc, the Indian High Commission to Guyana stated.
- Under this assistance, ventilators, full cover goggles, disposable impervious gowns, face shields, examination gloves and disposable masks were facilitated and these medical supplies have arrived at St. John’s.
- The Government of Antigua and Barbuda’s proposal for assistance and collaboration named ‘Strengthening national Health capacities and reducing socio-economic and human development negative impacts of COVID19 crisis in Antigua and Barbuda’ was processed under India-UNDP Fund managed by United Nations Office for South-South Cooperation (UNOSSC) and the guidelines of the Sustainable Development Goals, the High Commission stated
About Antigua and Barbuda:
- Prime Minister– Gaston Browne
- Capital– Saint John’s
- Currency– East Caribbean dollar
Abu Dhabi’s Crown Prince Commits USD 25mn To Expand Unified Champion Schools To 6 Countries Including India
- Special Olympics Bharat announced that Crown Prince of Abu Dhabi Sheikh Mohamed bin Zayed Al Nahyan has committed USD 25 million to expand Unified Champion Schools (UCS) to six countries — India, Argentina, Egypt, Pakistan, Romania and Rwanda.
- The four-year project will play a critical role in making the Indian education system more inclusive by creating 120 Unified Champion Schools across 12 states.
- The initiative that encourages activation and empowerment of the youth resonated with the theme of the International Youth Day 2020, “Youth Engagement for Global Action” by empowering young people with and without intellectual disabilities to create lasting social change through inclusion in education.
- Recently, under the directives of Sheikh Mohammed bin Zayed Al Nahyan, Crown Prince of Abu Dhabi and Deputy Supreme Commander of the Armed Forces, the UAE pledged USD 25 million to help fund the global expansion of the inclusive education project; Unified Champion Schools (UCS), an initiative undertaken by the Special Olympics that will root the values of tolerance and inclusion in educational systems around the world, the Ambassador of UAE, stated.
- President: Khalifa bin Zayed Al Nahyan
- Capital: Abu Dhabi
- Currency: United Arab Emirates dirham
India Announces $500-Million Package For Connectivity Project, Creation Of Air Travel Bubble With Maldives
- India announced a USD 500 million-package to the Maldives for the largest connectivity project in the island nation to connect Male with three neighbouring islands.
- The interaction which took place through video conference was part of regular high-level exchanges between India and Maldives, according to a statement by the Ministry of External Affairs (MEA).
- Jaishankar made the five announcements including a start of a direct cargo ferry service between India and Maldives and India’s decision to support the Greater Male Connectivity Project (GMCP) in the Maldives through a financial package consisting of a grant of USD 100 million and a new Line of Credit of USD 400 million.
- Jaishankar noted that this will be the largest civilian infrastructure project in the Maldives, connecting Male with three neighbouring islands – Villingili, Gulhifahu and Thilafushi (new industrial zone) – by the construction of a bridge-and-causeway link spanning 7 km.
- Capital: Malé
- Currency: Maldivian rufiyaa
CURRENT AFFAIRS: BANKING AND FINANCE
HDFC Bank launches Shaurya KGC Card for armed forces
- Private sector HDFC Bank launched a ‘Shaurya KGC Card’ for the armed forces.
- The Shaurya KGC Card will provide armed forces personnel with finance for agricultural requirements like production of crop, post-harvest maintenance and consumption needs. They can also avail of this funding to purchase farm machinery, irrigation equipment or construct storage structures, HDFC Bank stated, adding that the loan facility can be availed at its branches or through its e-Kisan Dhan
- Based on Kisan Credit Card guidelines, the Shaurya KGC Card offers a life cover of 10 lakh as against Rs.2 lakh for an average card, and also has simple and easy documentation that does not require the personnel’s physical presence to accommodate nature of his job and availability.
- The activity is part of the bank’s Har Gaon Hamara initiative to provide banking facilities to customers in the rural and under-served areas of the country.
- The bank has already disbursed over five lakh agri loans and has set up 12 Krishi Dhan Vikas Kendras across India, which has enabled farmers to avail facilities like soil testing and access the latest information on best farming practices.
- Headquarters: Mumbai, Maharashtra, India
- Non-Exe Chairperson: Shyamala Gopinath
- CEO: Sashidhar Jagdishan
CURRENT AFFAIRS: STATES
Telangana launches Artificial Intelligence to help in farming
- Telangana government launched it’s Artificial Intelligence for Agricultural Innovation (AI4AI) programme.
- The programme will be held in collaboration with the Centre for the Fourth Industrial Revolution (C4IR), World Economic Forum, India.
- The team from C4IR, WEF India has worked closely with Professor Jayashankar from the Telangana State Agricultural University (PJTSAU) and Telangana government’s ITE&C Department to identify high impact use cases of AI – which would benefit both the farmers and the policymakers.
- The programme is part of the State government’s Year of AI programmes. “The State government has declared 2020 as the Year of AI to accelerate AI readiness and develop a conducive AI innovation ecosystem in the State, opening new avenues of AI-led innovation for social impact – especially in the public sector.
- Capital: Hyderabad
- Governor: Tamilisai Soundararajan
- Chief minister: K. Chandrashekar Rao
West Bengal government launches scheme to provide soft loans, subsidies to youth
- On the occasion of International Youth Day, the West Bengal government launched ‘Karma Sathi Prakalpa’ scheme under which one lakh unemployed youth would be provided soft loans and subsidies to make them self-reliant.
- West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee launched an indigenously developed mobile application ‘Self-Scan’ to help people scan important documents and keep them stored on their mobile phones.
- The West Bengal government has received the top award from the Skoch Foundation for the performance of the grievance redressal cell of the Chief Minister’s Office.
About West Bengal
- Governor: Jagdeep Dhankhar
- Capital: Kolkata
- Chief minister: Mamata Banerjee
Punjab govt distributes free smartphones to class 12 students
- Punjab Chief Minister Captain Amarinder Singh launched a state-wide Rs 92 crore `Punjab Smart Connect Scheme’ that aims at providing more than 1.74 lakh class XII students with smartphones by November 2020.
- The scheme will benefit a total of 1,74,015 Class XII students of government schools in the first phase. Of these, 87,395 are boys and 86,620 girls, with the majority in the OBC and SC/ST categories.
- While 36,555 beneficiaries are OBC students, there are 94,832 SC students and 13 ST students. The bulk of the students – 1,11,857, are from rural areas, and the remaining in urban government schools.
- The scheme will provide a global connectivity to the students and enable access to online education amid COVID-19 pandemic.
- Chief Minister of Punjab Captain Amarinder Singh launched a collaborative ‘Pride of Punjab’ programme as a partnership between the Department of Youth Services and Sports and YuWaah – a joint initiative of UNICEF, other UN agencies, civil society organisations and the private sector through video conference.
- Punjab Chief Minister Amarinder Singh launched a nutritional drink ‘Verka haldi’ or turmeric milk, produced by Milkfed to boost people’s immunity amid the Covid-19 pandemic.
- Punjab Chief Minister Captain Amarinder Singh has launched a mobile based app – ‘Ghar Ghar Nigrani’, to undertake house to house surveillance in the state in an ongoing process, till the elimination of the pandemic.
- Capital: Chandigarh
- Chief minister: Amarinder Singh
- Governor: V. P. Singh Badnore
Gujarat: Two over bridges of Ahmedabad named after late Arun Jaitley, Sushma Swaraj
- In Gujarat, two over bridges of Ahmedabad city have been named after late Arun Jaitley and Sushma Swaraj. The Railway over bridge in Ranip area of the city will be known as Atmanirbhar Gujarat Railway Flyover.
- According to Ahmedabad Municipal Corporation sources, the newly built flyover at Income Tax circle will be known as Arun Jaitley flyover, while another flyover at Anjali cross road will be known as Sushma Swaraj Bridge.
- This was announced by the Chairman of AMC Standing Committee Amul Bhatt. He stated that flyover in Bapunagar area will be known as Maharana Pratap flyover while Hatkeshwar flyover will be known as Chhatrapati Shivaji flyover.
- Capital: Gandhinagar
- Chief minister: Vijay Rupani
- Governor: Acharya Devvrat
CURRENT AFFAIRS: MOU
Goa Government Signs Pact For German Vocational Training In IITs
- The Goa government has signed a tri-partite agreement to carry out world-class German dual vocational education and training in the Industrial Training Institutes (ITIs) of the state.
- This will “ensure optimal up-skilling of ITI graduates, including green skilling at par with the latest technological developments in the industry, thereby remarkably enhancing the employability of graduates from these IITs.
- The MoU was signed between the Directorate of Skill Development and Entrepreneurship, Siemens Limited and the German-headquartered GIZ.
- Siemens and GIZ India will undertake intensive coaching of instructors of ITIs.
- Capital: Panaji
- Chief minister: Pramod Sawant
- Governor: Satya Pal Malik
CURRENT AFFAIRS: APPOINTMENTS
Diplomat Vikram Kumar Doraiswami appointed India’s next envoy to Bangladesh
- Indian Foreign Service officer Vikram Kumar Doraiswami has been appointed as the next High Commissioner of India to Bangladesh, according to a statement from the Ministry of External Affairs (MEA).
- Currently, Doraiswami is an Additional Secretary in-charge of international organisations and summits at the headquarters of the External Affairs Ministry in New Delhi.
- Prior to his current assignment, Doraiswami has earlier served as the Indian ambassador to the Republic of Korea and later was also posted in Uzbekistan. He joined the Indian Foreign Service (IFS) — the top administrative services of the Indian government in 1992. Before joining government service, he used to work as a journalist. Doraiswami succeeds Riva Ganguly Das as the Indian envoy in Dhaka
CURRENT AFFAIRS: AWARDS AND HONORS
Odisha award to three women for organ donation
- Odisha Chief Minister Naveen Patnaik felicitated the families of three women whose organs were donated after being declared brain dead.
- Patnaik gave them the ”Suraj Samman” through video conferencing on the occasion of the World Organ Donation Day.
- The women, who were given the honour posthumously, were P Priyankarani Patra of Digapahandi in Ganjam district, Suchitra Das of Bhubaneswar and Rajalakshmi Das of Delang in Puri district.
- Their family members were also given Rs 5 lakh each from the Chief Ministers Relief Fund (CMRF).
‘Khaje’, ‘Harmal Chilli’ and ‘Moira banana’ get GI tag
- Goa’s traditional festive sweet dish ‘Khaje’, spicy Harmal Chilli and Myndoli Banana (Moira Banana) has obtained Geographical Indication (GI) tag in last three months, thus giving the local producers exclusive brand protection rights.
- Earlier, the State’s popular ‘Cashew Feni’ and ‘Khola Red Chilli’, had obtained GI tag.
- The State government is now in the process of filing applications with GI Registry, Chennai to obtain GI tags for more products like famous fish curry rice, cashew nuts, ‘Mankurad Mango’, Goan ‘Bebinca’- a sweet dish with several layers, ‘Khatkhatem’- dish made up of various local veggies and the ‘Taleigao Brinjal’.
- Khaje, the State’s traditional festive sweet treat at temple zatras and church feasts, received the GI notification, under food stuff falling in Class-30
- The Myndoli Banana, also known as Moira Banana, an important fruit crop, grown in the villages of Pernem, Bicholim and Bardez taluka, obtained GI tag on June 30 under Class-31.
Vertex Global Services CEO, Gagan Arora, wins “CEO of the Year” Award, by ‘Indian Achievers’ 2020
- Gagan Arora, CEO & Strategic Growth Leader of Vertex Global Services, was recently named as “CEO of the Year – 2020″ by IAF India.
- The awards program recognizes entrepreneurs who demonstrate extraordinary success and excellence in areas such as innovation, social, professional achievements, financial performance and personal commitment to their businesses and communities.
- Indian Achievers’ Forum draws attention on the theme “How the successful Achievers can help the social & economic infrastructural development in and around the country.” It will provide examples of social entrepreneurs and successful models of the society and corporate sector partnership.
- Under Gagan’s leadership, Vertex has achieved significant momentum and acquired two companies. With presence in four continents, Vertex serves more than 3000 clients worldwide. He is passionate about new ideas evaluation, conceptualization and execution of innovative technology solutions across verticals.
About Indian Achievers’ Forum:
- Sunil Shastri: Chief Patron & President,
- Head office: New Delhi
Govt announces Police Medals, J&K tops gallantry list
- Jammu and Kashmir Police has topped the list of Police Medals for Gallantry (PMG) with total 81 medals, followed by 51 medals that have gone to the CRPF this Independence Day.
- Ahead of the Independence Day, the Ministry of Home Affairs announced the list of gallantry medal awardees to police personnel across the country. The awards include Police Medals for Gallantry (PMG), President’s Police Medal (PPM) and Police Medal (PM) for meritorious services.
- Inspector Mohan Chand Sharma of Delhi Police Special Cell, who died in Batla House encounter in 2008, has been awarded gallantry medal posthumously. Sharma has received 6th bar to Police Medal for Gallantry.
- Three IPS officers from Jammu and Kashmir Police – including Sandeep (SSP Anantnag), Gurinderpal Singh (SP Kulgam) and Atul Kumar Goel (DIG South Kashmir) – have been awarded the PMG. Two more J&K Police IPS officers, DIG Vidhi Kumar Birdi (currently on deputation in the NIA) and Tejinder Singh (SSP), have received 1st and 2nd bar to PMG respectively.
- DIG Atul Kumar Goel was the one to catch Jammu and Kashmir DSP Davinder Singh at a check post while he was ferrying two Hizb-ul-Mujahideen terrorists in a vehicle on the Srinagar-Jammu Highway in January this year.
- As many as 80 officers from across the country have been awarded the President’s Police Medal (PPM) for distinguished services while 631 officers have received the Police Medal (PM) for meritorious services.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: RANKING
Punjab Gets First Rank In Health, Welfare Centre Operationalisation
- The Punjab Government announced that the state achieved first rank in operationalisation of Health and Welfare Centres (HWCs) as per the latest rankings released by the Centre.
- A total of 1,600 community health officers have been appointed at HWCs and 823 more candidates will be appointed as CHOs by the end of this year after the completion of the bridge course.
- Apart from this, in the last five months, 6.8 lakh individuals were screened at the HWCs for hypertension, 4 lakh for diabetes and 6 lakh for oral, breast or cervical cancer. Medicines were dispensed at the HWCs to about 2.4 lakh patients of hypertension and 1.4 lakh diabetes patients, despite the challenges posed by COVID-19.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY
Israel, US successfully test Arrow-2 ballistic missile defense system
- Israel successfully tested its Arrow-2 ballistic missile interceptor.
- The Missile test was conducted in the test site in Central Israel over the Mediterranean Sea.
- The Missile Defense Agency (MDA) of the United States of America along with Israeli Air Force and Israel Aerospace Industries conducted the testing.
- The Arrow-2 interceptor successfully performed its planned trajectory and destroyed the target.
- During the test, the Arrow intercepted an Israeli Sparrow-class medium-range target missile.
- Arrow-2 is part of the multi-layered system Israel has developed to defend against both short- and mid-range rockets fired from Gaza and Lebanon, as well as Iran’s long-range missiles.
- It includes Iron Dome, David’s Sling and the Arrow-3 system – capable of defending against threats from outside the atmosphere.
- The joint test with the US is an expression of the friendship and partnership between the countries and United States’ deep commitment to the security of the citizens of Israel.
- Prime minister: Benjamin Netanyahu
- Capital: Jerusalem
- Currency: Israeli Shekel
Israel shares AI-based technology, high-end equipment with AIIMS to help combat COVID-19
- Israel has given state-of-the-art Artificial Intelligence-based technologies and high-end equipment to AIIMS, Delhi as part of Israel-India cooperation to fight the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic.
- Israeli Ambassador to India Dr Ron Malka formally handed over the high-end equipment and technology solutions to Director of AIIMS, Dr Randeep Guleria in the presence of Chief Guest Sanjay Bhattacharya, Secretary, Ministry of External Affairs.
- It also includes a 12-hour disinfection product called CPD that stays active to protect the surface against new attacks of contamination, a non-invasive remote patient monitoring system which aids as a preliminary screening tool of respiratory indicators of suspected COVID-19 patients and recovering patients and AI-based software for Ultrasound use and designed especially for fighting COVID-19.
- Dr Guleria stated India-Israel relations are strong. Earlier, India helped Israel with medicines and safety gear. Now Israel has sent equipment including robotic teleconsultation and telemonitoring equipment.
NASA satellite finds 66 new exoplanets, 2,100 more ‘candidates’
- During its two-year-long primary mission, NASA’s planet hunter TESS has found 66 new exoplanets, or worlds beyond our solar system, as well as nearly 2,100 candidates astronomers are working to confirm, the US space agency has stated.
- TESS, short for Transiting Exoplanet Survey Satellite, scanned about 75 per cent of the starry sky during its primary mission that ended on July 4, NASA stated.
- TESS monitors 24-by-96-degree strips of the sky called sectors for about a month using its four cameras.
- The mission spent its first year observing 13 sectors comprising the southern sky and then spent another year imaging the northern sky.
- Now in its extended mission, TESS has turned around to resume surveying the south, NASA stated. The extended mission for TESS will be completed in September 2022.
- Among the mission’s newest planetary discoveries are its first Earth-size world, named TOI 700 d, which is located in the habitable zone of its star, the range of distances where conditions could be just right to allow liquid water on the surface.
- TESS revealed a newly minted planet around the young star AU Microscopii and found a Neptune-size world orbiting two suns.In addition to its planetary discoveries, TESS has observed the outburst of a comet in our solar system, as well as numerous exploding stars.
- Even more remarkable, TESS watched as a black hole in a distant galaxy shredded a Sun-like star, NASA stated.
- Headquarters; Washington, D.C, United States
- Administrator: Jim Bridenstine
CURRENT AFFAIRS: DEFENCE
AFK hands over first consignment of grenade launcher ammunition to BSF
- The Ammunition Factory, Khadki (AFK) handed over the first consignment of the indigenously-designed and manufactured 40-millimetre Under Barrel Grenade Launcher (UBGL) ammunition to the Border Security Force (BSF).
- The trigger system of the launcher is fitted to the rifle in such a way that the soldier can fire both the rifle bullet and the grenade from the same posture. The launcher can fire the grenade up to a range of 400 metres.
- The 40 mm UBGL, whose ammunition was handed over, is one of the 101 items on the import embargo list of defence systems or platforms, announced by Defence Minister Rajnath Singh.
- The Department of Military Affairs (DMA) of the Union Defence Ministry has prepared a list of 101 items, for which there would be an embargo on import beyond a certain time in the future.
- Headquarters: New Delhi
Goa Shipyard made Offshore Patrol Vessel ‘Sarthak’ launched
- An Offshore Patrol Vessel (OPV) for the Indian Coast Guard was launched and re-christened as Indian Coast Guard Ship ‘Sarthak’.
- The launching ceremony at Goa Shipyard Limited, GSL, Yard 1236, was conducted through video conferencing from Coast Guard headquarters at New Delhi.
- OPV Sarthak is the 4th in the series of five OPVs. It has been designed & built indigenously by Goa Shipyard Limited (GSL) in line with the PM’s vision of ‘Make in India’.
- The ship is designed to embark and carry a twin-engine helicopter, four high-speed boats and one inflatable boat for swift boarding and Search & Rescue operations. The ship is also capable of carrying limited pollution response equipment to undertake oil spill pollution response at sea.
- The ship will be deployed extensively for EEZ surveillance, Coastal Security and other duties as enshrined in the Coast Guard charter of duties, to safeguard the maritime interests of the Nation.
Defence Minister launches BDL’s indigenised Konkurs missile test equipment
- Defence Minister Rajnath Singh has launched Konkurs Missile Test Equipment and Konkurs Launcher Test Equipment, which have been indigenously designed and developed by Bharat Dynamics Limited (BDL). Earlier, these products were imported from Russia.
- The Defence Minister launched these two indigenised products virtually from New Delhi in the presence of the Chief of Defence Staff General Bipin Rawat, and Chairman and Managing Director of BDL Commodore Siddharth Mishra (Retd), among others present at Hyderabad.
- The two products have been launched as part of the ‘Atmanirbhar Bharat’ week being celebrated during August 7-14, 2020.
- The Konkurs Missile Test Equipment is designed for checking the serviceability of Konkurs-M anti-tank guided missiles. Konkurs Launcher Test Equipment is designed and developed for checking the serviceability of Konkurs-M missile launchers.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: SPORTS
England all-rounder Laura Marsh announces retirement from all forms of cricket
- Former England all-rounder Laura Marsh has announced her retirement from all forms of
- She was slated to represent Oval Invincibles in the tournament, but the competition has been pushed to 2021 due to the coronavirus pandemic.
- The 33-year-old had called time on her international career last year after she was left out of the England squad. In her international career, Marsh played 9 Tests, 103 ODIs and 67 T20Is. She managed to score 1,588 runs across all formats and also registered 217 wickets
Sports Ministry to organise ‘Fit India Freedom Run’ from Aug 15- Oct 2
- The Sports Ministry will organise the largest country-wide run, the Fit India Freedom Run from august 15th till 2nd of October, which boasts of a unique concept. Sports Minister Kiren Rijiju will launch the mega-event. In keeping with the current pandemic situation and social distancing norms, the government has decided to encourage participants of the event to run at their own pace – anywhere and at any time of their convenience.
- Additionally, they can break up their runs over several days in this period. The total kilometers clocked can be tracked using a Global Positioning System (GPS) watch or manually. The event is targeted to encourage fitness among the masses while following Covid-19 protocols.
- Individuals and organizations can register for the event on the Fit India website. The event is being organised to mark the 74th Independence Day of India tomorrow and will continue till 151st birth anniversary of Mahatma Gandhi on 2nd of October.
- The motto of the ‘Freedom Run’ is to encourage fitness and help citizens to get freedom from obesity, laziness, stress, anxiety and other diseases. In the recent past as well, Fit India has organized numerous big scale events such as Fit India Plog Run and Fit India Cyclothon to take the message of fitness to the masses.
About Ministry of Youth Affairs and Sports:
- Kiren Rijiju, Minister of State (Independent Charge)
- Constituency: Arunachal West
CURRENT AFFAIRS: OBITUARY
UPCA president Yadupati Singhania passes away
- Uttar Pradesh Cricket Association (UPCA) president Yadupati Singhania has passed away.
- Singhania was battling a prolonged illness for which he was undergoing treatment at a hospital in Singapore.
- Singhania’s grandfather Padampat and father Gaur Hari were also engaged in promoting cricket in UP.
DAILY CA 13th AUG
- International Lefthanders Days- 13th aug
- Centre Forms Committee For Procurement, Administration Of COVID-19 Vaccine
- PM Modi launches ‘Transparent Taxation – Honoring the Honest’ platform
- MoRTH allows sale and registration of electric vehicles without batteries
- Bangladesh to get largest ever dollar 3.1 billion loan package from Japan
- Federal Bank chooses Fiserv to support launch of first independent credit card
- RBI to implement system-based asset classification in urban co-operative banks
- Reliance Foundation to partner W-GDP, USTATED to bridge gender digital divide
- Dell, NITI Aayog launch 2nd student entrepreneurship programme
- AP CM YS Jagan Launches YSR Cheyutha For Women
- HP govt launches Nutritional Immunity Boosting ‘Him Haldi Dudh’
- Assam to launch mega scheme for women’s financial empowerment
- CCI approves proposed deal pertaining to JV formation between Honda Motor, Hitachi
- Delhi MoU signed with IIT-B for smog tower at CP
- Former RBI deputy governor S S Mundra appointed as non-executive chairman of Indiabulls Housing
- Isher Judge Ahluwalia resigns as ICRIER chairperson after 15-year stint
- BharatPe appoints Suhail Sameer as Group President
- Medal For Excellence in Investigation 2020: List of 121 Police Personnel Receiving Award This Year
- Sudha Murthy, ITC’s Sivakumar bag Gramodaya awards
- Cristiano Ronaldo wins Juventus’ MVP of the Year award for record 37 goals in single season
- Sharon Stone to Release Memoir ‘The Beauty of Living Twice’
- Indian Spacetech Startup Skyroot Aerospace Successfully Test-Fires Rocket Engine
- Microwave device ‘Atulya’ to disintegrate novel Coronavirus unveiled by Nitin Gadkari
- Two light combat helicopters developed by HAL deployed in Ladakh for high altitude IAF operations
- DAC approves procurement proposals worth Rs 8,722.38 crore
- Akshay Kumar only Bollywood star among Forbes’ highest-paid actors of 2020
- Madhya Pradesh Women Cricketer Anshula Rao Fails Dope Test
- Veteran sports journalist GK Menon passes away
- Singer and Actor Trini Lopez passes away
- ViacomCBS head Sumner Redstone passes away at 97
DAILY CA 14th AUG
- World Organ Donation Day- 13th aug
- Youm-e-Azadi (Pakistan Independence Day)- 14th aug
- India’s Katra-Delhi Express Road to be completed by 2023
- Rajnath Singh launches Naval Innovation and Indigenisation Organisation
- India extends USD 1 million assistance to Antigua, Barbuda to combat COVID-19
- Abu Dhabi’s Crown Prince Commits USD 25mn To Expand Unified Champion Schools To 6 Countries Including India
- India Announces $500-Million Package For Connectivity Project, Creation Of Air Travel Bubble With Maldives
- HDFC Bank launches Shaurya KGC Card for armed forces
- Telangana launches Artificial Intelligence to help in farming
- West Bengal government launches scheme to provide soft loans, subsidies to youth
- Punjab govt distributes free smartphones to class 12 students
- Gujarat: Two over bridges of Ahmedabad named after late Arun Jaitley, Sushma Swaraj
- Goa Government Signs Pact For German Vocational Training In IITs
- Diplomat Vikram Kumar Doraiswami appointed India’s next envoy to Bangladesh
- Odisha award to three women for organ donation
- Khaje’, ‘Harmal Chilli’ and ‘Moira banana’ get GI tag
- Vertex Global Services CEO, Gagan Arora, wins “CEO of the Year” Award, by ‘Indian Achievers’ 2020
- Govt announces Police Medals, J&K tops gallantry list
- Israel, US successfully test Arrow-2 ballistic missile defense system
- Israel shares AI-based technology, high-end equipment with AIIMS to help combat COVID-19
- NASA satellite finds 66 new exoplanets, 2,100 more ‘candidates’
- AFK hands over first consignment of grenade launcher ammunition to BSF
- Goa Shipyard made Offshore Patrol Vessel ‘Sarthak’ launched
- Defence Minister launches BDL’s indigenised Konkurs missile test equipment
- Punjab Gets First Rank In Health, Welfare Centre Operationalisation
- England all-rounder Laura Marsh announces retirement from all forms of cricket
- Sports Ministry to organise ‘Fit India Freedom Run’ from Aug 15- Oct 2
- UPCA president Yadupati Singhania passes away