Dear Readers, Daily Current Affairs News Updates about the National and International events were listed here. Read Current Affairs here and stay updated with current news. Candidates those who are preparing for IBPS/SBI/PO/Clerk exam and all other competitive exams can use this and try Current Affairs Quiz to test your knowledge level.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: NATIONAL
Govt approves Rs 15K-cr animal husbandry infra fund to generate employment
- The government announced a Rs 15,000 crore infrastructure development fund with an interest subsidy scheme to promote investment by private players and MSMEs in dairy, meat processing and animal feed plants, a move which is expected to create 3.5 million jobs.
- The fund is part of the Rs 20 trillion stimulus package announced in May to help people affected by the lockdown to prevent the spread of Covid-19.
- An interest subvention of 3-4 per cent will be provided to farmer producer organisations, MSMEs and private players for setting up of dairy, meat processing and animal feed plants.
- The government had earlier approved the Dairy Infrastructure Development Fund (DIDF) worth Rs 10,000 crore for incentivizing investment by the cooperative sector for development of dairy infrastructure.
- Besides, the Centre would also set up a Credit Guarantee Fund of Rs 750 crore to be managed by National Bank for Agriculture and Rural Development (NABARD) which would provide credit guarantee to the projects which are covered under the MSME defined ceilings. The guarantee coverage would be upto 25 per cent of the credit facility of the borrower
- Minister of Animal Husbandry, Dairying and Fisheries- Giriraj Singh
- Constituency- Nawada, Bihar.
Gadkari launches scheme to provide Rs 20,000 cr guarantee cover to MSMEs
- Union Minister Nitin Gadkari launched the Credit Guarantee Scheme for Sub-ordinate Debt to provide Rs 20,000 crore of guarantee cover to two lakh micro, small and medium enterprises.
- The funding scheme to help the distressed MSME sector entails a sub-debt facility to the promoters of those operational MSMEs that are distressed or non-performing assets (NPAs). It is also called the ”Distressed Assets Fund ” Sub-ordinate Debt for MSMEs”.
- Promoters of the MSMEs will be given credit equal to 15 percent of their stake (equity plus debt) or Rs 75 lakh, whichever is lower.
- Ninety per cent guarantee coverage for this sub-debt will be given under the scheme, whereas the remaining 10 per cent would come from the promoters concerned.
- There will be a moratorium of seven years on payment of principal amount, whereas maximum tenure for repayment will be 10 years.
- Promoters of MSMEs meeting the eligibility criteria may approach any scheduled commercial banks to avail benefit under the scheme. The scheme will be operationalised through Credit Guarantee Fund Trust for MSEs
About MSME Ministry
- Minister for Road Transport & Highways, Minister of Shipping and Micro, Small and Medium Enterprises- Nitin Jairam Gadkari
- Constituency- Nagpur,Maharashtra
Union Minister Dr Jitendra Singh inaugurates Devika and Puneja Bridges in Udhampur & Doda Districts
- Union Minister of State (Independent Charge) Development of North Eastern Region (DoNER), MoS PMO, Personnel, Public Grievances & Pensions, Atomic Energy and Space, Dr Jitendra Singh inaugurated two important Bridges Devika and Puneja in Udhampur and Doda districts respectively in Jammu and Kashmir through virtual platform.
- The 10-meter-long Devika Bridge at a cost of 75 lakhs was constructed in about one-year time span by Border Roads Organisation.
- 50-meter-long Puneja Bridge constructed by BRO at a cost of Rs 4 Crore at Bhaderwah in Doda District. Basoli-Bani-Bhaderwah road is a vital alternate link to the Doda, Kishtwar, Bhaderwah and Kashmir valley from Pathankot (Punjab) region without passing Jammu and Udhampur.
- Headquarters: New Delhi
- Director General: Lt. Gen.Harpal Singh
Govt to provide 2% interest subsidy to ‘Shishu’ borrowers under Mudra Yojna
- The government decided to provide 2 per cent interest subvention to borrowers under the ‘Shishu’ category of the flagship Pradhan Mantri MUDRA Yojana (PMMY), for a period of 12 months to eligible borrowers.
- Under the Shishu category, collateral free loans of up to50,000 are given to beneficiaries.
- The PMMY was launched by Prime Minister Narendra Modi on April 8, 2015 for providing loans up to 10 lakh to non-corporate, non-farm small/micro enterprises.
- These loans are classified as MUDRA loans under PMMY. These loans are given by commercial banks, RRBs, small finance banks, MFIs and NBFCs.
MSDE Ministry, IBM unveil Free Digital Learning Platform to reach job seekers
- Ministry of Skill Development and Entrepreneurship (MSDE) in partnership with IBM has unveiled Free Digital Learning Platform ‘Skills Build Reignite’ to reach more job seekers and provide new resources to business owners in India.
- Directorate General of Training, DGT, under the aegis of MSDE has also announced a 10-week duration Skills Build Innovation Camp for students, providing hands on project experience, enhanced learning and increased employability.
- Union Minister of Skill Development and Entrepreneurship Dr. Mahendra Nath Pandey has congratulated DGT and IBM India for their collaborative efforts. He stated, it marks a significant milestone in supporting Centre’s efforts in accelerating Indian economy’s revival from the adverse effects of COVID-19 with the launch of SkillsBuild Reignite and Innovation Camp.
- He stated, IBM‘s expertise in providing multifaceted digital skill training in the area of Cloud Computing and Artificial Intelligence will strengthen the efforts in the recovery of local workforces, communities and economies by supporting job seekers, entrepreneurs and small businesses. IBM has committed to provide multifaceted digital skill training in the area of Cloud Computing and Artificial Intelligence to students and trainers in National Skill Training Institutes (NSTIs) and ITIs.
- Even in this pandemic period, DGT is lining up with the industry partners for enabling blended, e-learning with a combination of multimedia and similar digital resources for the students, trainees, trainers and the administrators, by providing anytime, anywhere online digital content through its BharatSkills learning platform.
About Ministry of Skill Development and Entrepreneurship:
- Mahendra Nath Pandey, Cabinet Minister
- Constituency: Chandauli, UP
- Raj Kumar Singh, Minister of State
Tourism Ministry conducts webinar on ‘Vedic Food and Spices of India’
- Tourism Ministry conducted a webinar on ‘Vedic Food and Spices of India’ under Dekho Apna Desh webinar series.
- The webinar focused on the importance of Vedic food and spices of India which remain unexplained to the world and never bridged to modern world cuisines. This session attempted to decode myths about some foods and presented the secret of spices and the technique of preparations in order to inspire the traveller to come, explore and experience.
- Dekho Apna Desh Webinar Series is an effort to showcase India’s rich diversity under Ek Bharat Shreshtha Bharat. The panelist spoke about the importance of cookware. The benefits of cooking in the Earthenware was highlighted as food prepared in these vessels retains its natural flavour.
- The heat is also evenly spread and maintained. Copper pot has very good medicinal properties and no bacteria would survive. Iron pans are rich in minerals and food cooked is tasty.
About Ministry of Tourism:
- Prahlad Singh Patel, Minister of State (Independent charge)
- Constituency: Damoh
Cabinet opens space assets for private sector
- Cabinet meeting held under the chairmanship of Prime Minister Narendra Modi ratified the decision of boosting private sector participation in the space sector in the country.
- Union Atomic Energy and Space Minister, Dr. Jitendra Singh informed that that government will constitute Indian National Space Promotion and Authorization Centre (IN-SPACE) for effective socio-economic usage of space technology.
- Singh added that the Public Sector Enterprise, New Space India Limited (NSIL) will endeavour to reorient space activities from a supply driven model to a demand driven model, thereby ensuring optimum utilization of our space assets.
CBDT extends last date for filing income tax return for 2019-20 till 30th November
- Central Board of Direct Taxes (CBDT) has extended the time limit for filing of original as well as revised income-tax returns for 2018-19 till 31st July, this year.
- It has also extended the due date for filing income tax return for 2019-20 till 30th November of this year. The decision has been taken considering the difficulties faced by applicants due to the COVID pandemic.
- In order to provide relief to small and middle class taxpayers, CBDT has also extended the due date for payment of self assessment tax upto the limit of 1 lakh rupees, till 30th November of this year.
- The due-date for making various investments and payments for claiming deduction under section 80C of the Income Tax Act has also been extended till 31st of July for the financial year 2019-20. CBDT has also extended the date for linking Aadhaar with PAN till 31 March next year.
- Pramod Chandra Modi, Chairman, Central Board of Direct Taxes
- Headquarters: New Delhi
CURRENT AFFAIRS: INTERNATIONAL
Terror financing watchdog FATF decides to continue Pakistan in Grey List
- In a setback for Pakistan, the global terror financing watchdog Financial Action Task Force (FATF) has decided to keep Pakistan in the Grey List’ for terror financing. The decision has been taken as Pakistan has failed to check the flow of money to terror groups like Lashkar-e-Taiba (LeT) and Jaish-e-Mohammed (JeM).
- The decision was taken at the Financial Action Task Force’s third and final plenary held virtually due to the COVID-19 pandemic. The plenary was held under the Chinese Presidency of Xiangmin Liu. Now, Pakistan will continue to remain in the Grey List till FATF’s next meeting to be held in October. Now, it will be difficult for Pakistan to get financial aid from the IMF, World Bank, ADB and the European Union, thus further enhancing problems for the nation which is in a precarious financial situation.
- If Pakistan fails to comply with the FATF directive by October, there is every possibility that the global body may put the country in the ‘Black List’ along with North Korea and Iran. A strong Indian delegation with experts on money laundering and terror financing participated in the half-day FATF plenary.
- The FATF currently has 39 members including two regional organizations — the European Commission and Gulf Cooperation Council.
About Financial Action Task Force (FATF):
- Headquarters: Paris, France
- President: Xiangmin Liu
CURRENT AFFAIRS: BANKING AND FINANCE
Sachin Bansal’s Navi launches new instant lending app with paperless KYC
- Flipkart co-founder Sachin Bansal’s financial services startup Navi has launched a mobile app to provide instant personal loans targeted at consumers in the middle-income segment.
- The Navi lending app will provide instant loans of up to5 lakh with repayment tenures of up to 36 months. The loan process is done completely using digital and contactless process for customers.
- To assess loan applicants and prevent fraudulent transactions, app-based lenders source customer data from trading and brokerage accounts, and credit and debit card transactions directly from banks.
- Besides, a customer’s employment information and credit history are also accessed from credit bureaus approved by the Reserve Bank of India.
- Bengaluru-based Navi was founded by Bansal in May, 2018
J&K Bank launches products to provide financial support to business communities
- In Jammu and Kashmir, in order to provide adequate financial support to different business communities to overcome business challenges due to the prevailing conditions, J&K Bank has launched two products titled ‘J&K Bank Business Support Loan Scheme 2019-20’ and ‘J&K Bank Business Support Loan Scheme 2019-20 for Hotels and Guest Houses’.
- Launching the schemes, the Lt Governor G C Murmu stated the bank’s schemes are a timely financial intervention for businesses of the region especially hotels and guest-houses which are crucial for the sustenance and development of the tourism sector and calling for collaborative efforts by all stakeholders in this direction.
- R K Chhibber, CMD, J&K Bank, stated that the purpose of tailoring J&K Bank Business Support Loan Scheme 2019-20 for businesses is to provide them much needed financial cushion so that they are able to meet the temporary mismatch in their cash flows caused by the business challenges during 2019 followed by COVID-19 pandemic.
- In the case of ‘J&K Bank Business Support Loan Scheme 2019-20 for Hotels and Guest Houses’, the aim is to support the units financially for meeting their expenditure towards salaries to staff and other recurring fixed costs. It was informed that the credit scheme titled ‘J&K Bank Business Support Loan 2019-20’ has been engineered keeping SMA1 & SMA2 borrowers into consideration.
- The highlights include 10% enhancement in existing working capital limit in the form of a 3 year working capital term loan (which includes one year moratorium on principal), subject to an upper limit of Rs 5 cr for SMA2 and Rs 20 cr for other standard loans.
About J&K bank:
- CEO: R K Chhibber
- Headquarters: Srinagar
- Tagline :Serving to Empower
CURRENT AFFAIRS: BUSINESS AND ECONOMY
Haryana govt, Reliance Jio TV enter agreement to educate 52 lakh students
- Haryana government and Reliance Jio TV have entered an agreement that is expected to benefit around 52 lakh school children in rural areas.
- This new agreement is done under the Chief Minister’s Distance Education Programme in order to expand education in rural areas without jeopardizing social distancing during the Covid-19 pandemic.
- Under the agreement, all four channels of Eduset will now be available on the Jio platform free of cost.
- The agreement will help students to watch all four channels of Eduset through television, laptop, desktop, tablet and smartphone.
- The minister claimed that this new initiative will benefit 52 lakh Hindi and English medium students that are studying in both government and private schools under the Haryana School Education Board, the CBSE Board and other boards.
- Students preparing for competitive exams like JEE (Joint Entrance Examination) and NEET (National Eligibility cum Entrance Test) will also get separate material.
About Reliance Industries Limited
- Chairman and Managing Director– Mukesh D. Ambani
- Founder Chairman– Dhirubhai Ambani
- Headquarters– Mumbai, Maharashtra
- Governor– Satyadeo Narain Arya
- Chief Minister– Manohar Lal Khattar
- Capital– Chandigarh
World’s First Gold-backed Digital Gold Currency Launched in India
- IBMC Financial Professionals Group, an internationally recognized financial services institution and business consultants, has joined hands with US Gold Currency Inc and Blockfills to bring the world’s first monetary gold-backed digital gold currency to India. The currency is also being simultaneously introduced in the Gulf Cooperation Council (GCC), Middle East and Africa.
- For this, IBMC, which has a presence in India, has partnered exclusively with US Gold Currency Inc, the issuer of the US Gold digital currency, and Blockfills, the transaction platform provider.
- Each US Gold digital currency is backed by a US American Eagle one ounce (33.931 gram) gold coin, minted by the US Federal Agency, US Mint. The holders of the currency can redeem their digital assets as physical gold coins or in US dollars anywhere in the world.
- IBMC is introducing the digital asset to customers ranging from retail and corporate investors, banks, financial institutions and sovereign wealth funds to treasuries and asset management companies.
- Consumers and businesses benefit from a secure digital asset token that is not subject to the volatile swings of the markets, and from the opportunity to easily exchange their digital currency into a tangible asset, monetary gold coins produced by the US Mint. A customer can login with a secured user ID and password on the trading platform for buying and redeeming the coins.
- With the launch of the digital gold currency, investors in India will have the significant opportunity to reduce the cost of their transactions as well as have the flexibility of time for making payments.
About IBMC Financial Professionals Group:
- Chairman– Sheikh Khalid Bin Ahmed Al Hamed and
- Chief Executive Officer (CEO) & Managing Director (MD)– Mr Sajith Kumar PK
- US Gold Currency, Inc. provides the American Gold Eagle coin in a Digital Blockchain Receipt – the “USGold Token”, each one fully collateralized 1:1 with a 1oz American Gold Eagle coin. Referred to as “USG” – for the US Gold Dollar.
- Headquarter– Jackson, Wyoming, US
India’s GDP to contract by 5.3% in FY21, bounce back in FY22: Ind-Ra
- India’s economy is likely to shrink by 3 percent this fiscal, the lowest GDP growth in the Indian history and the sixth instance of economic contraction, India Ratings and Research stated.
- The disorder caused by the COVID-19 pandemic unfolded with such a speed and scale that the disruption in production, breakdown of supply chains/trade channels and total wash out of activities in aviation (some activities have started now), tourism, hotels and hospitality sectors will not allow the economic activity to return to normalcy throughout FY21, the rating agency stated.
- As a result, besides contracting for the whole year, GDP will contract in each quarter in FY21 (April 2020 to March 2021).
- However, the agency believes the GDP growth would bounce back in the range of 5-6 per cent in FY22 (April 2021 to March 2022), aided by base effect and return of gradual normalcy in the domestic as well as global economy.
- India Ratings (Ind-Ra) stated India’s gross domestic product (GDP) will contract 3 per cent in FY21.
- This will be the lowest GDP growth in the Indian history (Indian GDP data is available from FY51) and sixth instance of economic contraction, others being in FY58, FY66, FY67, FY73 and FY80; the previous low was negative 5.2 per cent in FY80, it stated.
- Chief Executive Officer (CEO) & Managing Director (MD)– Rohit Karan Sawhney
- Headquarter– Mumbai, Maharashtra
IMF projects sharp contraction of 4.5% in Indian economy in 2020; a historic low
- The International Monetary Fund (IMF) has projected a deeper 5% contraction for India in FY21 than earlier estimated, citing a longer lockdown period and slower than anticipated recovery.
- In the June update – A Crisis Like No Other, An Uncertain Recovery – of its flagship World Economic Outlook (WEO), the IMF has forecast a –4.9% global growth in 2020, 1.9 percentage points below the April 2020 estimate.
- The IMF had forecast a 9% growth for India in the April edition of the WEO and 3% contraction for the world.
- India’s economy is projected to contract by 4.5% following a longer period of lockdown and slower recovery than anticipated in April, the fund stated.
- The latest assessment has also toned down the bounce back in FY22 to 6% against a stronger 7.4% growth forecast in April. In 2021, global growth is projected at 5.4%, marginally lower than 5.8% it expected in April.
- Headquarters: Washington, D.C. U.S.
- Managing Director: Kristalina Georgieva
- Chief Economist: Gita Gopinath
CCI approves acquisition of 9.99% stake in Jio Platforms by Jaadhu Holdings LLC
- The Competition Commission of India (CCI) has approved acquisition of 99 per cent stake in Jio Platforms by Jaadhu Holdings LLC.
- Jaadhu is an indirect wholly owned subsidiary of Facebook. It is a newly incorporated company formed in March this year under the laws of the State of Delaware in the United States.
- Whereas, Jio Platforms is a company organised and existing under the laws of India, and is a subsidiary of Reliance India Limited.
- Headquarters: New Delhi
- Ashok Guptha: Chairman
- P K Singh: Secretary
CURRENT AFFAIRS: APPOINTMENTS AND RESIGNATION
Joe Biden wins Democratic Presidential primary in New York
- Joe Biden has won the Democratic presidential primary in New York.
- New York is a reliably Democratic-voting state. The general election is in November.
- Democrat leader Joe Biden has taken a comfortable lead of 14 percentage points over US president Donald Trump ahead of the national elections in the country.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: AWARDS AND HONORS
Folk artist Gulabbai Sangamnerkar to get lifetime honour
- The Maharashtra government announced the Vithabai Narayangaokar lifetime achievement award to folk artist Gulabbai Sangamnerkar.
- The Annasaheb Kirloskar award will be conferred upon veteran theatre actress-singer Madhuvanti Dandekar.
- The Vithabai Narayangaokar lifetime achievement award is given to a senior tamasha (folk art) artiste. The award for 2018-19is being conferred upon Gulabbai Sangamnerkar.
- The award carries the cash prize of Rs 5 lakh, a citation and a memento.
Himachal bags e-Panchayat Puraskar 2020
- Himachal Pradesh state panchayati raj department secured first prize under e-Panchayat Puraskar-2020, given by the Union ministry of panchayati raj.
- All the 3,226 panchayats of the state have been provided with internet facility and people can access various services online. The various services such as family register, registration of birth, death and marriages are registered online in the panchayats.
- Union ministry of panchayati raj has been making efforts to bring in transparency, efficiency and accountability in the functioning of gram panchayats through the use of information and communication technology.
About Himachal Pradesh
- Governor: Bandaru Dattatreya
- Capitals: Shimla (Summer), Dharamshala (Winter)
- Chief minister: Jai Ram Thakur
Six District Hospitals of J&K UT win Kayakalap award
- In a significant achievement in the health sector, six District Hospitals of Union Territory of Jammu and Kashmir have bagged Kayakalap award claiming notable positions in the best hospitals category 2019-20.
- Four of these District Hospitals are from Jammu division including DH Reasi which has clinched the top spot winning a cash award of 50 lakh while Government Hospital Gandhi Nagar, District Hospital Udhampur and District Hospital Poonch have got commendation awards with a cash prize of Rs. 3 lakh each.
- The Kayakalp Award was instituted as part of the ‘Swachh Bharat Abhiyan’ on 15 May, 2015 as a national initiative to recognize and felicitate public health facilities that demonstrate high levels of cleanliness, hygiene and infection control measure on promoting cleanliness in public spaces.
- In the Community Health Centres category, three CHCs of Jammu Division qualified including CHC Ramnagar was declared second while CHC Katra (Reasi) and CHC Bhaderwah (Doda) claimed the Commendation awards.
- In Primary Health Centers and Urban Primary Health Centres categories, 9 PHCs and 1 UPHC have won the award.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: RANKING
THE Young University Ranking 2020: IIT-Ropar best in country, two Indian institutes in global top 100
- Times Higher Education (THE) has released the world’s young university ranking for the relatively newer generation of universities, which are 50 years old or younger.
- The 2020 ranking includes 414 universities, up from 351 in 2019. As many as two Indian universities made it into the top 100, while none could enter the ’50 under 50′ category.
- The best among the youngest institutes in the country is IIT-Ropar at 62nd rank. This is despite the institute having scored 0 per cent in the international students’ category. The second in India is IIT Indore at 64th rank.
- 101-150 band – IISER Pune
101-150 band – IIT-Gandhinagar
151-200 band – Amrita Vishwa Vidyapeetham
151-200 band – IIT-Bhubaneswar
151-200 band – IIT-Guwahati
151-200 band – IIT-Hyderabad
The best among the global varsities in the world is The Hong Kong University of Science and Technology.
- Rank 1: The Hong Kong University of Science and Technology
- Rank 2: Nanyang Technological University, Singapore
- Rank 3: Paris Sciences et Lettres – PSL Research University, Paris
- Rank 4: Sant’Anna School of Advanced Studies – Pisa
- Rank 5: Korea Advanced Institute of Science and Technology (KAIST)
- Rank 6: Maastricht University
- Rank 7: City University of Hong Kong
- Rank 8: Pohang University of Science and Technology (POSTECH)
- Rank 9: Sorbonne University, France
- Rank 10: Pompeu Fabra University, Spain
Max Life at Rank 24 is the Only Life Insurance Company to be Amongst India”s Top 100 Great Places to Work
- Ranked amongst Top 50 Best Workplaces for the 4th consecutive year of participation
- Moves up 11 places from 35 in 2019 to 24 current Rank in 2020
- Also recognized as one of the top 25 ‘Best Workplaces in BFSI (Banking, Financial Services and Insurance Sector)’
- Max Life Insurance Company Ltd. (“Max Life”/”Company”), announced that it has been ranked 24th amongst India’s Top 100 Great Places to Work. The annual survey is the benchmark when it comes to ranking India’s best employers with participation from over 1000 companies.
- Of this, 83 companies were from the BFSI sector this year. Improving on its last year’s performance, Max Life moved up 11 places from its rank of 35 in 2019 to its current position, making it the only life insurer to be recognised amongst India’s ‘Top 100 Great Places to Work For’ by Great Place to Work Institute (“GPTW”) in its 2020 study.
- ’India’s Best Companies to Work For’ Study evaluates organisations on the five dimensions of building a high-trust, high-performance culture including credibility, respect, fairness, pride, and camaraderie.
- In line with these parameters, the Company has also been recognized as one of the top 25 ‘Best Workplaces in BFSI (Banking, Financial Services, and Insurance Sector)’. Max Life has also been ranked amongst ‘Top 50 Best Workplaces’ for the 4th consecutive year of participation. This recognition is a true reflection of the Company’s commitment to building a workplace based on key differentiators of superior human capital and value-driven culture.
About Max Life Insurance Company Ltd:
- Headquarters: New Delhi
- Founder: Analjit Singh
CURRENT AFFAIRS: SPORTS
New Zealand’s Rachel Priest Announces Retirement from International Cricket
- Rachel Priest, the New Zealand wicketkeeper-batter, has announced her retirement from international cricket.
- She has signed up with Cricket Tasmania to play in Australia Women’s National Cricket League.
- Priest played 87 ODIs and 75 T20Is for New Zealand, scoring 1694 and 873 runs respectively.
World Karate Federation provisionally de-recognises KAI
- The World Karate Federation (WKF) has provisionally de-recognised the Karate Association of India with immediate effect for infighting and violating the world body’s statutes during its elections last year.
- The Indian Olympic Association (IOA) disaffiliated KAI in January this year for violating its constitution and guidelines.
- The WKF further informed that KAI will no longer be entitled to the rights reserved only to WKF members, including but not limited to participate in WKF events, use the WKF logo and name and represent the WKF in India.
- Headquarters– Madrid, Spain
- President– Antonio Espinos
US Open Include Wheelchair Tennis In 2020 Tournament
- The United States Tennis Association announced that the 2020 US Open Wheelchair Tennis Competition will be held from September 10 -13 at the Billie Jean King National Tennis Center in Flushing.
- The decision was made following multiple virtual meetings with a group of wheelchair athletes and the International Tennis Federation over the last week, the organisers said in a statement.
- The 2020 US Open Wheelchair Competition will feature men’s and women’s singles and doubles and quad singles and doubles, with draw sizes similar to past US Opens.
- Wheelchair athletes will follow the same health and safety procedures as all players participating in the US Open and will be able to access the USTA Billie Jean King National Tennis Center beginning on September 7, the statement further added.
- The initial setup dropped wheelchair, junior and mixed doubles competitions altogether, along with singles qualifying, while the fields for women’s and men’s doubles were halved to 32 teams apiece.
- The International Tennis Federation is carefully reviewing the impact of this evolving situation related to awarding wheelchair ranking points and we expect a decision to be announced in the coming days
CURRENT AFFAIRS: OBITUARY
Trinamool MLA Tamonash Ghosh passes away of COVID-19
- Trinamool Congress MLA Tamonash Ghosh who tested positive for COVID-19 passed away.
- Ghosh represented Falta Assembly constituency in South 24 Parganas district in West Bengal.
- He is the first MLA in West Bengal to succumb to coronavirus infection.
Director Joel Schumacher passes away
- Joel Schumacher, the eclectic and brazen filmmaker who has passed away from Cancer. He was 80.
- Schumacher initially worked in the fashion industry before entering film as a costume designer for Woody Allen’s Sleeper and Interiors. His first screenplay was for 1976’s musical drama Sparkle, which starred Irene Cara and was later remade with Whitney Houston. His directorial debut came in 1981 with The Incredible Shrinking Woman starring Lily Tomlin.
- The film-maker, whose hits included Batman Forever, St Elmo’s Fire and The Lost Boys.
State basketball star Ragunath passes away
- Former Karnataka basketball star K Raghunath passed away due to age-related complications. He was 74.
- Fondly referred to as ‘Pappachi’, Raghunath was one of the founding members of the still-popular Beagles Basketball Club.
- He represented the Indian All- Star team in Srilanka(1962). In the 1960s he played for the state with distinction.
DAILY CA 24th JUNE
- Smriti Irani launches FICCI-FLO initiative ‘Empowering the Greater 50%’
- India pledges USD 10 million to UNRWA over next two years
- 2,000 crore allocated by PM CARES Fund for supply of 50,000 ventilators to govt run COVID hospitals
- HRD Minister Ramesh Pokhriyal Nishank launches 2nd phase of YUKTI
- China To Join UN Arms Trade Treaty To Enhance ‘peace And Stability’
- Pension fund FDI cap proposed at 49%
- Moody’s projects India GDP to shrink 3.1% in 2020, flags geopolitical risk
- Maharashtra government declares 29.53-sq-km area in Konkan a conservation reserve
- Rajasthan govt to launch Indira Rasoi Yojna: CM Ashok Gehlot
- ASU research and innovation leader Sethuraman Panchanathan confirmed as NSF director
- IFTAS Announces the Appointment of Shri. T. Rabi Sankar as Chairman and Dr. N Rajendran as Chief Executive Officer
- Nikhil Rathi, Indian-origin chief of the London Stock Exchange, appointed as CEO to UK’s financial regulator
- IIT-Bombay develops chip Dhruva to be used in smartphones and navigation devices to find locations
- Young Giant Planet Offers Clues to Formation of Exotic Worlds
- Indian Institute of Science develops Nanozymes
- NRDC Licenses NavRakshak PPE Suit Manufacturing Know-how to Five MSMEs Developed by Indian Navy
- India retains position as third largest economy in PPP, global actual Individual consumption, capital formation
- BSE bags spot among world’s 10 most valued exchanges
- IOC joins forces with WHO and the United Nations to fight COVID-19
- Veteran journalist, former MP Vishwa Mohan Gupta passes away
DAILY CA 25th JUNE
- Govt approves Rs 15K-cr animal husbandry infra fund to generate employment
- Gadkari launches scheme to provide Rs 20,000 cr guarantee cover to MSMEs
- Union Minister Dr Jitendra Singh inaugurates Devika and Puneja Bridges in Udhampur & Doda Districts
- Govt to provide 2% interest subsidy to ‘Shishu’ borrowers under Mudra Yojna
- MSDE Ministry, IBM unveil Free Digital Learning Platform to reach job seekers
- Tourism Ministry conducts webinar on ‘Vedic Food and Spices of India’
- Cabinet opens space assets for private sector
- CBDT extends last date for filing income tax return for 2019-20 till 30th November
- Terror financing watchdog FATF decides to continue Pakistan in Grey List
- Sachin Bansal’s Navi launches new instant lending app with paperless KYC
- J&K Bank launches products to provide financial support to business communities
- Haryana govt, Reliance Jio TV enter agreement to educate 52 lakh students
- World’s First Gold-backed Digital Gold Currency Launched in India
- India’s GDP to contract by 5.3% in FY21, bounce back in FY22: Ind-Ra
- IMF projects sharp contraction of 4.5% in Indian economy in 2020; a historic low
- CCI approves acquisition of 9.99% stake in Jio Platforms by Jaadhu Holdings LLC
- Joe Biden wins Democratic Presidential primary in New York
- Folk artist Gulabbai Sangamnerkar to get lifetime honour
- Himachal bags e-Panchayat Puraskar 2020
- Six District Hospitals of J&K UT win Kayakalap award
- THE Young University Ranking 2020: IIT-Ropar best in country, two Indian institutes in global top 100
- Max Life at Rank 24 is the Only Life Insurance Company to be Amongst India”s Top 100 Great Places to Work
- New Zealand’s Rachel Priest Announces Retirement from International Cricket
- World Karate Federation provisionally de-recognises KAI
- US Open Include Wheelchair Tennis In 2020 Tournament
- Trinamool MLA Tamonash Ghosh passes away of COVID-19
- Director Joel Schumacher passes away
- State basketball star Ragunath passes away