Dear Readers, Daily Current Affairs News Updates about the National and International events were listed here. Read Current Affairs here and stay updated with current news. Candidates those who are preparing for IBPS/SBI/PO/Clerk exam and all other competitive exams can use this and try Current Affairs Quiz to test your knowledge level.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: DAYS
Global Day Of Parents
- Global Day of Parents is celebrated on June 1, annually. This day gives a special opportunity to appreciate parents and parental figures for everything they do for their children.
- Global Day of Parents is celebrated to pay respect to what parents do for their children and their selfless commitment and lifelong sacrifice towards this relationship.
- The theme for Global Day of Parents 2020: “Appreciate all parents throughout the world”.
- This theme is the endorsement of parent’s struggles and sacrifices towards their children across the world.
World Milk Day
- World Milk Day is observed on June 1 in order to celebrate the dairy sector and recognise the importance of milk as a global food.
- The day was founded by the United Nations Food and Agriculture Organisation. This year marks the 20th anniversary of World Milk Day.
- World Milk Day theme 2020 is “The 20th Anniversary of World Milk Day”.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: NATIONAL
Centre announces ‘Mudra Shishu loan’ for small businesses and cottage industries
- Centre has taken several steps so that shopkeepers do not suffer due to the COVID-19 pandemic.
- Government has asked shopkeepers not to worry about restarting shops and handcarts as Unlock 1.0 begins.
- The Government has pledged to make an Atma Nirbhar Bharat. A 1500 crore interest subvention for small business and cottage industries has been announced under Mudra Shishu loan. Under this scheme, one lakh beneficiaries can avail interest benefit of 2 per cent for a year.
- A Rs 5000 crore package was announced for the roadside hawkers. Under this, 50 lakh street vendors can avail loan upto Rs 10,000. Street vendors can contact any nationalised bank to avail the benefit.
PM Modi announces “My Life My Yoga” Video Blogging contest in Man Ki Baat
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi called upon one and all to participate in the “My Life – My Yoga”(also called “Jeevan Yoga”) Video Blogging Contest, a joint effort by the Ministry of AYUSH and the Indian Council for Cultural Relations (ICCR), during the course of his monthly Mann Ki Baat address to the nation.
- The contest focuses on the transformative impact of Yoga on the lives of individuals, and comes as one of the activities related to the observation of the sixth International Day of Yoga (IDY) coming up on 21st June 2020. The contest has gone live on the social media handles of the Ministry of AYUSH.
- The observation of IDY in the past years has been marked by thousands of harmonious mass demonstrations of Yoga in public places. Due to the contagious nature of COVID-19, no mass gathering would be advisable this year.
- Hence, this year the Ministry is encouraging the people to practice Yoga at their homes, with participation from the entire family.
- Through the My Life – My Yoga video blogging competition, the Ministry of AYUSH and ICCR seek to raise awareness about Yoga and to inspire people to prepare for and become active participants in the observation of IDY 2020.
- The contest will support participation via the social media platforms of Facebook, Twitter and Instagram. Video contest will be open to participants from all countries.
- The announcement of the contest by PM has generated tremendous curiosity about and interest in it.
- The Ministry of AYUSH is confident that this interest would convert into significant public health gains, as the positive impact of Yoga in the management of many aspects of the COVID-19 pandemic situation is by now well accepted.
About Ministry of AYUSH:
- The Ministry of Ayurveda, Yoga & Naturopathy, Unani, Siddha and Homoeopathy (abbreviated as AYUSH) is purposed with developing education, research and propagation of indigenous alternative medicine systems in India.
- The Ministry is headed by a Minister of State (Independent Charge), which is currently held by Shripad Yesso Naik
- Constituency : North Goa
CURRENT AFFAIRS: INTERNATIONAL
WHO Launches ‘COVID-19 Technology Access Pool’ For Equitable Access To Life-saving Tech
- WHO launched the ‘COVID-19 Technology Access Pool’ May 30. This comes after at least 37 countries jointly appealed to the World Health Organisation for common ownership of vaccines, medicines and other diagnostic tools to combat the global health crisis. While the total number of COVID-19 cases worldwide has now surpassed 5.9 million, these countries want collective ownership of COVID-19 treatment since patent laws can act as a barrier to the sharing of crucial supplies amid the outbreak.
- While the call has been lauded by Doctors Without Borders, a drug industry alliance has posed doubt about the capability of the pool to broaden access to COVID-19 treatment, as per reports. Meanwhile, as the COVID-19 infection continues to spread, more than 100 vaccines are in various developmental stages but none has been approved for mass production yet.
- The 37 nations had originally proposed resource pooling in March with an aim to provide a single stop for all the scientific data regarding the pandemic and its treatment as the disease has now killed at least 364,357 people worldwide.
- WHO has also issued a ‘Solidarity Call to Action’ urging other stakeholders of the UN health agency to join the cause.
- Director-General: Tedros Adhanom
- Headquarters: Geneva, Switzerland
- Founded: 7 April 1948
UNSC extends South Sudan arms embargo until May 2021
- The United Nations Security Council (UNSC) has adopted a resolution extending until May next year an arms embargo on South Sudan and a travel ban and financial sanctions for targeted individuals.
- The United States-drafted document received 12 votes in favour, with Russia, China and South Africa abstaining.
- The resolution welcomed “encouraging developments in South Sudan’s peace process”, including the beginning of the formation of a transitional government. But it also expressed “deep concern at continued fighting in South Sudan” and condemns violations of the peace deal and cessation of hostilities agreement.
- The resolution extended the arms embargo and the targeted sanctions until May 31, 2021, but authorised a mid-term review of the measures by December 15, 2020.
- The UK-based rights group called on the UNSC and UN member nations to enforce it.
About United Nations Security Council (UNSC):
- The United Nations Security Council (UNSC) is one of the six principal organs of the United Nations (UN), charged with ensuring international peace and security recommending the admission of new UN members to the General Assembly, and approving any changes to the UN Charter.
- Its powers include establishing peacekeeping operations, enacting international sanctions, and authorizing military action. The UNSC is the only UN body with the authority to issue binding resolutions on member states.
About South Sudan :
- Capital: Juba
- Currency: South Sudanese pound
CURRENT AFFAIRS: BANKING AND FINANCE
Mohandas Pai to chair IBBI advisory committee on service providers
- The Insolvency and Bankruptcy Board of India (IBBI) has reconstituted its advisory committee on service providers and it would now be chaired by Manipal Global Education Services Chairman T V Mohandas Pai. The 12-member panel would advise and provide professional support on regulation and development of the service providers dealt with by the IBBI, according to an order.
- Bharti Infratel Chairman Akhil Gupta, Raksha Shakti University Director General Bimal N Patel, CSB Bank MD and CEO Chinna Veerappan Rajendran, former Sebi ED J Ranganayakulu, former Deloitte India Chairman P R Ramesh and Indian Institute of Corporate Affairs DG and CEO Sameer Sharma are among the members.
- IIM Calcutta Board of Governors Chairman Shrikrishna Kulkarni, ICSI Institute of Insolvency Professionals MD Binoy J Kattadiyil, former IIM Lucknow Dean and Professor Punam Sahgal, Tube Investments of India Managing Director Vellayan Subbiah Murugappa as well as a representative from the corporate affairs ministry are part of the panel.
- The service providers include insolvency professionals, insolvency professionals agencies, insolvency professional entities and information utilities. IBBI is a key institution in implementing the Insolvency and Bankruptcy Code.
IBBI is the institution for implementing the insolvency and Bankruptcy Code.
- Chairperson– Dr. M.S Sahoo
- Established– 1st October 2016
- Chairman– Ajay Tyagi
- Established– 12th April, 1992
Yes Bank partners with Chalo launch contactless card for bus passengers
- Yes Bank has partnered with Chalo to launch of a co-branded contactless travel card in Mangalore and Udupi, which would enable users to load money on the card to make ‘tap to pay’ payments across buses.
- As the State looks at gradually reopening services, a contactless travel card will eliminate the need for handling cash and paper tickets for commuters, thereby making buses safer for passengers. Through this launch, approximately 4.5 lakh daily city bus commuters will be benefited, Yes Bank stated.
- The passenger will only have to tap the card on the conductor’s ticketing machine to buy their ticket instantly. It can be purchased and recharged from any bus conductor or at designated Chalo Card counters
About YES Bank
- CEO- Prashant Kumar
- Headquarters- Mumbai
- Tagline- Experience our Expertise.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: BUSINESS AND ECONOMY
ISED launches business clinic for MSMEs in Kerala
- Institute of Small Enterprises and Development (ISED) has rolled out a unique platform for extending advisory services to Covid19-affected MSMEs in Kerala.
- The initiative is aimed at offering free guidance to entrepreneurs to make self-evaluation for improving their performance.
- ISED Centre for Financial Education and Research, a division of the ISED, has opened a dedicated window to address issues related to MSMEs, with specific focus on Covid. ISED Finance Clinic for Small Enterprises (ISED-FCSE) will service the interests of MSMEs, entrepreneurial aspirants such as return migrants, start-ups, educated unemployed, and women entrepreneurs.
- Kerala is ranked 31 in terms of the number of self-employed, and second in relation to the size of casual labour. The pandemic has shattered the budgets and operations of most SMEs in India and the situation is graver in Kerala. Post-lockdown, operational problems are likely to get aggravated. Beyond the broad macro-level projections and debates, it is now time to act at the grassroot level. Many entrepreneurs need appropriate clinical assessment, and moral and psychological support, says ISED Director PM Mathew.
- ISED-FCSE is a social responsibility initiative of the institute, which considers it a small professional support to the State and Central government in their efforts to fight and manage the fallout of the pandemic.
About kerala :
- Capital: Thiruvananthapuram
- Chief minister: Pinarayi Vijayan
- Governor: Arif Mohammad Khan
CURRENT AFFAIRS: APPOINTMENTS AND RESIGNATION
Harsha Bangari takes charges as Exim Bank Deputy Managing Director
- Harsha Bangari took charge as Deputy Managing Director at Export-Import Bank of India (Exim Bank),
- Prior to this, Bangari was the Chief General Manager and Chief Financial Officer of the bank.
- Bangari joined Exim Bank in 1995. The bank was floated by the government in 1982 as a specialised export credit agency for India to finance, facilitate and promote India’s international trade.
About EXIM bank:
- Headquarters: Mumbai
- CEO: David Rasquinha
- Founded: 1 January 1982
CURRENT AFFAIRS: AWARDS AND HONOURS
Stefan Manegold Wins 2020 Sigmod Contributions Award
- CWI researcher Stefan Manegold has been awarded the 2020 SIGMOD Contributions Award. The award recognizes his innovative work in the data management community to encourage scientific reproducibility.
- Manegold was one of the leading pioneers in encouraging reproducibility in data management. Reproducibility was introduced at the 2008 SIGMOD Conference and since then has influenced how the community approaches experimental evaluation.
- Manegold shares the award with fellow researchers Philippe Bonnet, Juliana Freire, Ioana Manolescu, Dennis Shasha, and former CWI researcher Stratos Idreos
- Manegold is a senior researcher and head of the Database Architectures research group at CWI as well as professor for Data Management at Leiden University. Previously, Manegold has won the VLDB 2009 10-year Best Paper Award (with co-authors Peter Boncz and Martin Kersten) as well as the VLDB 2011 Challenges & Visions Track Best Paper Award (with co-authors Martin Kersten and others).
About SIGMOD Contributions Award
- The SIGMOD Contributions Award is given for significant contributions to the field of database systems through research funding, education, and professional services. The SIGMOD Awards Committee determines the recipient of the award.
Delhi-based NGO wins WHO award
- The World Health Organization (WHO) has conferred the World No Tobacco Day Award 2020 to the Socio-Economic and Educational Development Society (SEEDS), an NGO, for its efforts to ban pan masala, gutkha, e-cigarettes and hookah in Bihar and Jharkhand.
- On the occasion of World No Tobacco Day on May 31, the WHO selects organisations and individuals from its six regions every year for their exceptional contribution in the field of tobacco control.
- The SEEDS is among the three awardees selected from the South-East Asia Region. The organisation has been working closely with the Union Ministry of Health and Family Welfare on prevention and control of smokeless tobacco use. The ministry has nominated Deepak Mishra, executive director of the SEEDS, as a member of the task force on the de-addiction campaign.
DAILY CA 31st MAY
- World No-Tobacco Day- 31st may
- Sebi slaps Rs 20 lakh fine on DHFL for violating market norms
- RBI imposes4 crore penalty on Citibank
- Ravi Shankar Prasad launches India’s National Artificial Intelligence Portal
- Arun Singhal Appointed Food Safety Regulator Chief
- Lieutenant General Manoj Pande takes over as Commander-In-Chief of Andaman & NicobarCommand
- YES Bank acquires 24.19% stake in Dish TV through pledged shares
- NASA astronauts aboard the International Space Station after Dragon capsule successfully docks
- Virat Kohli only cricketer in Forbes’ 2020 list of world’s highest paid athletes
- Indian long-distance runner Kiranjeet Kaur handed four-year ban after being tested positive for doping
- BCCI nominates 4 players for Khel Ratna, Arjuna Award
- Renowned astrologer Bejan Daruwalla passes away
DAILY CA 1ST JUNE
- Global Day Of Parents- 1st june
- World Milk Day- 1st june
- Centre announces ‘Mudra Shishu loan’ for small businesses and cottage industries
- PM Modi announces “My Life My Yoga” Video Blogging contest in Man Ki Baat
- WHO Launches ‘COVID-19 Technology Access Pool’ For Equitable Access To Life-saving Tech
- UNSC extends South Sudan arms embargo until May 2021
- Mohandas Pai to chair IBBI advisory committee on service providers
- Yes Bank partners with Chalo launch contactless card for bus passengers
- ISED launches business clinic for MSMEs in Kerala
- Harsha Bangari takes charges as Exim Bank Deputy Managing Director
- Stefan Manegold Wins 2020 Sigmod Contributions Award
- Delhi-based NGO wins WHO award