Dear Readers, Daily Current Affairs News Updates about the National and International events were listed here. Read Current Affairs here and stay updated with current news. Candidates those who are preparing for IBPS/SBI/PO/Clerk exam and all other competitive exams can use this and try Current Affairs Quiz to test your knowledge level.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: DAYS
International Children’s Book Day
- International Children’s Book Day (ICBD) is annually celebrated on April 2, Danish author and poet Hans Christian Anderson’s birthday.
- The ICBD has been organized every year since 1967 by the International Board on Books for Young People (IBBY), which is a non-profit organization that promotes children’s literature and encourages young people to read.
- This year, IBBY Slovenia is hosting ICBD and chose the theme, “A Hunger for Words.”
CURRENT AFFAIRS: NATIONAL
Agriculture Minister Narendra Singh Tomar launches new features of e-NAM Platform
- Agriculture Minister Narendra Singh Tomar launched new features of National Agriculture Market (e-NAM) It will help strengthen agriculture marketing by farmers which will reduce their need to come to wholesale mandis for selling their harvested produce, at a time when there is critical need to decongest mandis to effectively fight against COVID-19.
- These software modules are warehouse based trading module in e-NAM software and Farmer Producer Organisation trading module in e-NAM.
- Mr Tomar reiterated that e-NAM was launched in 2016 as a pan-India electronic trade portal linking Agricultural Produce Market Committee – APMCs across the States. He stated, already 585 mandis in 16 States and two Union Territories have been integrated on e-NAM portal.
- He also stated that e-NAM will be soon expanded to cover additional 415 mandis, which will take the total number of e-NAM mandis to 1,000. The Agriculture Minister stated, e-NAM provides for contactless remote bidding and mobile-based any time payment for which traders do not need to either visit mandis or banks for the same.
C-DOT and Telecom Service Providers develop COVID Quarantine Alert System
- The Department of Telecommunication and C-DOT in coordination with Telecom Service Providers have developed and tested an application which automatically triggers an email or SMS if any identified corona positive person moves away from their quarantine location.
- Ministry of Electronics and Information Technology has encouraged state government agencies to use the COVID Quarantine Alert system.
- A Standard Operating Procedure for location based monitoring of potential cases from the telecom network data has been established. Large number of requests from state agencies are already coming in from Andhra Pradesh, Telangana, Haryana, and Bihar.
- The system would send triggers to the identified monitoring agencies for any potential violations from the quarantined location subject to network availability and triangulation limitations.
About Ministry of Electronics and Information Technology
- Ravi Shankar Prasad, Union Cabinet Minister
- Sanjay Shamrao Dhotre, Minister of State
- Ajay Prakash Sawhney, Secretary
CURRENT AFFAIRS: BANKING AND FINANCE
ADB expects India’s economic growth to slow down to 4 per cent in FY21
- India’s economic growth is likely to slow down to 4 per cent this fiscal on the back of the current global health emergency, Asian Development Bank (ADB) stated in its outlook for financial year 2020-21.
- Growth in India will remain subdued after the country suffered a sharp slowdown last year, from 1 per cent in fiscal 2019 to 5 per cent, as a credit crunch that originated in the non-banking financial sector severely hampered bank lending , the Manila-based lender stated.
- Noting that Covid-19 has not yet spread extensively in India, ADB stated measures to contain the virus and a weaker global environment will whip up headwinds, offsetting support from corporate and personal income tax cuts as well as financial sector reforms which are meant to revive credit flows.
- In its Asian Development Outlook (ADO) 2020 the lender stated: Gross domestic product (GDP) growth in India is forecast to slow further to 4 per cent in FY21 before strengthening to 6.2 per cent in the next fiscal.
About Asian Development Bank (ADB)
- Headquarters: Mandaluyong, Philippines
- President: Masatsugu Asakawa
- Membership: 68 countries
- Founded: 19 December 1966
Indian Bank launches new products to support farmers, poultry players
- The Indian Bank has launched three new products to support farmers, poultry players and the workforce in the informal sector during the current crisis triggered by the outbreak of dreaded Covid-19 virus.
- Under the IND Covid Emergency Agro-Processing Loan, agro-processing units can avail 10 per cent of the working capital limit.
- Borrowers in the poultry sector (layer/breeder/broiler) can avail 20 per cent of the working capital limit under the IND Covid Emergency Poultry Loan scheme.
- Similarly, under the IND KCC Covid Sahaya Loan, farmers cultivating crops and rearing animals and having Kisan Credit Card facility can avail 10 per cent of the limit as a soft loan, Indian Bank stated in a statement. The loans are repayable in easy instalments with six months moratorium period, it stated.
- Besides, under a special credit package “SHG Covid Sahaya Loan”, women members of Self Help Groups can avail loan @5,000 each. Thus an SHG with 20 members can avail a loan up to Rs 1,00,000 as a soft loan repayable in easy instalments, the Bank stated.
About Indian bank:
- Headquarters: Chennai
- CEO: Padmaja Chunduru
- Tagline :Your Own Bank
SBI Cards offers moratorium on credit card dues
- The RBI’s Covid-19 package, SBI Cards and Payment Services has given its cardholders the option to avail a moratorium on their credit card dues.
- The moratorium period is of three months, for making payment of credit card outstanding balance/EMIs which are due between March 1 and May 30 this year, as well as the entire outstanding amount, including the applicable interest and charges (other than late payment charge) during this period, as per the cardholder’s June 2020 payment due date.
- For EMI payments, there will be no extension of tenure. Any account which was in current status (non-delinquent with no overdues) as on February 29 would be eligible for the moratorium, SBI Cards has stated.
- The RBI had left it to the financial institutions concerned to decide whether they would like to offer the loan moratorium (which includes credit card dues) in view of the hardships faced by customers on account of the 21-day lockdown announced by the government for minimising the spread of coronavirus.
About SBI Cards and Payment Services:
- CEO: Hardayal Prasad
- Chairperson: Rajnish Kumar
- Headquarters :Gurgaon
Global cost of Covid-19 could top $4 trillion: Asian Development Bank
- The coronavirus pandemic could cost the global economy $4.1 trillion as it ravages United States, Europe and other major economies, the Asian Development Bank warned .
- The estimated impact is equivalent to nearly five percent of worldwide output based on a range of scenarios, but the lender stated losses from “the worst pandemic in a century” could be higher.
- The estimated impact could be an underestimate, as additional channels such as possible social and financial crises, and long-term effects on health care and education are excluded from the analysis, the ADB stated.
- The Manila-based bank stated a shorter containment period could pare the losses to $2 trillion.
- The crisis has sent equity markets spinning as traders fret over the long-term impact on the world economy, though governments and central banks have stepped in to ease the pain, pledging more than $5 trillion in stimulus and easing monetary policy.
- With billions of people in lockdown and economies at a standstill, the ADB stated Asia is forecast to grow 2.2 percent this year, its slowest pace since a 1.7 percent expansion during the Asian financial crisis in 1998.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: BUSINESS AND ECONOMY
Google donates USD 6.5 million to help fight coronavirus misinformation
- Google has announced $6.5 million in funding to fact-checkers and non-profit 0rganisations fighting misinformation globally around novel coronavirus.
- The funding is being given as part of Google News Initiative (GNI) which is also providing an online resource hub, dedicated training and crisis simulations for reporters covering COVID-19 all over the globe.
- To help, we’re supporting Data Leads in partnership with BOOM Live in India and Africa Check in Nigeria to leverage data from Question Hub. This will be complemented by an effort to train 1,000 journalists across India and Nigeria to spot health misinformation, stated Alexios Mantzarlis, Lead of News and Information Credibility at Google News Lab.
- The GNI’s ‘First Draft’ is using its extensive CrossCheck network to help newsrooms respond quickly and address escalating content that is causing confusion and harm.
About Google :
- CEO: Sundar Pichai
- Founded: 4 September 1998
- Parent organization: Alphabet Inc
- Headquarters: California, United States
Domino’s Pizza joins hands with ITC Foods to make home delivery of essentials
- Dominos Pizza, in partnership with ITC Foods, announced the launch of Dominos Essentials to deliver essential items at home in view of the lockdown imposed owing to the spread of coronavirus.
- The delivery infrastructure of Dominos would be leveraged to help customers order everyday grocery essentials, a joint statement stated.
- A combo pack of Aashirvaad Atta and spices including chilli, coriander and turmeric powder would be available on Dominos app , it stated.
- The service would be available for consumers first in Bengaluru and then in the cities of Noida, Mumbai, Kolkata, Chennai and Hyderabad.
- Customers would then be able to select the combo pack and use digital payment mode to complete the order.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: STATES
AP govt to buy MOM developed by NAVY for COVID-19 patients
- The Andhra Pradesh governmenthas come forward to purchase the portable Multi-feed Oxygen Manifold (MOM), a novel contraption developed by naval personnel in Visakhapatnam, that would help meet any emergency requirement of oxygen supply to coronavirus patients
- Initially, the Navy was offering a few MOMs to AP free- of-cost.
- The Naval Dockyard Visakhapatnam (NDV) designed the innovative ‘Portable Multi-feed Oxygen Manifold’ (MOM) using a 6-way radial header fitted to a single cylinder.
- Using this unique device, one cylinder could be used to supply oxygen to six patients simultaneously, enabling critical care management to a larger number of Covid-19 patients with the existing limited resources.
- The preliminary trials of the entire MOM assembly were conducted at MI Room at Naval Dockyard Visakhapatnam, followed by rapid trials at the Naval Hospital INHS Kalyani, where it was successfully set up within 30 minutes.
- After successful trials, NDV commenced manufacture of 10 portable MOM with two 6-way radial headers that could cater to 120 patients at makeshift locations.
- Capital– Visakhapatnam- executive capital, Kurnool- judicial capital, Amaravati- legislative capital
- Chief Minister– Y.S. Jagan Mohan Reddy
- Governor– Biswa Bhusan Harichandan
Delhi govt to provide financial assistance worth Rs 5,000 each to all auto-rickshaw, taxi drivers amid lockdown situations
- Delhi government will provide financial assistance worth 5,000 rupees each to all auto-rickshaw, Gramin-sewa, E-rickshaw and taxi drivers in wake of difficulties faced by them amid lockdown situations. The amount will be transferred into their bank account.
- Mr Kejriwal stated, the process may take 7-10 days as government do not have bank account numbers of all the drivers. He stated, proper planning for this is being done.
- Chief Minister- Arvind Kejriwal
- Governor- Anil Baijal
Maharashtra govt launches online self-assessment tool to better identify, assist patients
- In Maharashtra, with over 400 people testing positive for Corona virus, the State Government has now taken the fight against the pandemic online, by launching a COVID-19 self-assessment tool.
- The government has created a digital platform, where in citizens can assess their symptoms from the comfort of their homes and later contact authorities if they have any doubts about their condition.
- The State Government has collaborated with Apollo 24×7 and launched an online tool, which is available at https://covid-19.maharashtra.gov.in/, to help people assess their symptoms at home. Immediate medical advice and other relevant contact information are also available on this link.
- The online self-assessment tool allows the authorities to have a real-time dashboard and helps them keep track of people with strong Corona virus symptoms who have used the tool.
- Apart from this, the platform also has dos and don’ts, helpline numbers and other information about the pandemic. The authorities also plan to upgrade the tool with a facility to avail health care advice over phone or video calls from doctors.
- Governor: Bhagat Singh Koshyari
- Capital: Mumbai
- Chief Minister: Uddhav Thackeray
Gujarat govt announces financial assistance of Rs 25 per day for each animal for April for all registered Gau Shalas
- Gujarat government has announced financial assistance of Rs 25 per day for each animal for the month of April for all registered Gau Shalas in the state.
- Chief Minister Vijay Rupani announced this to save the animal live stocks and taking care of financial crunches being faced by the administrators of registered Gau Shalas during the nationwide lockdown situation.
- The decision will put additional burden of approximately Rs 35 crore on state exchequer.
About Gujarat :
- Capital: Gandhinagar
- Governor: Acharya Devvrat
- Chief minister: Vijay Rupani
Delhi government launches WhatsApp helpline number to provide credible information
- In order to ensure that the citizens of Delhi have easy access to credible information around Covid-19, the Health & Family Welfare Department of Government of Delhi has launched a dedicated WhatsApp helpline number.
- This service is free-to-use and will act as a central source for accurate, trustworthy and up-to-date information on the ongoing pandemic, as per WhatsApp’s official release.
- The coronavirus Helpline is an automated ‘chatbot’ service, which will allow citizens to get verified answers to questions about coronavirus within 24 hours.
- The service will provide information on topics such as coronavirus prevention and symptoms along with tips on containment, other service helpline numbers, applying for e-passes and general information on measures that the state is taking to tackle this crisis.
- To use the free Delhi government corona helpline on WhatsApp, users have to save the number +91 88000 07722 on their phones and then text the word ‘Hi’ via a WhatsApp message to get started. This service has been built on the WhatsApp Business API, using Infobip India and will be available in English.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: APPS AND PORTALS
‘Aarogya Setu’: Govt launches coronavirus tracker app
- The Central government launched an app called Aarogya Setu to help people track coronavirus infections more accurately.
- The app was launched by the National Informatics Centre that comes under the Ministry of Electronics and Information Technology.
- The App, called ‘AarogyaSetu’ joins Digital India for the health and well-being of every Indian. It will enable people to assess themselves the risk for their catching the Corona Virus infection.
- The app uses cutting edge Bluetooth technology, algorithms and artificial intelligence to determine whether a person is in the risk of contracting a COVID-19 infection.
- The AarogyaSetu app is available in eleven languages.
- The App’s design ensures privacy-first. The personal data collected by the App is encrypted using state-of-the-art technology and stays secure on the phone till it is needed for facilitating medical intervention.
About Ministry of Electronics and Information Technology
- Union Minister of Law and Justice, Communications and Electronics and Information Technology- Ravi Shankar Prasad
- Constituency- Patna Sahib, Bihar
CURRENT AFFAIRS: APPOINTMENTS AND RESIGNATION
Paytm Money MD & CEO Pravin Jadhav resigns
- Paytm Money managing director and CEO Pravin Jadhav has resigned
- Prior to being elevated to as Paytm Money’s MD and CEO in September last year, Jadhav was working as a whole-time director with the company. He joined Paytm as a consultant in June 2017.
- He was also the founder and CEO of Wishberg
- Chief Executive officer– Vijay Shekhar Sharma.
- Headquarters– Noida, Uttar Pradesh (UP).
Justice Rajnesh Oswal sworn in as permanent Judge of High Court of J&K, Ladakh under Indian Constitution
- Justice Rajnesh Oswal was sworn in as a permanent Judge of the common High Court of Jammu & Kashmir and Ladakh . He was administered oath of office by Chief Justice Jammu and Kashmir High Court, Justice Gita Mittal in a ceremony in Jammu. He is the first Judge of the High Court to take oath under the Indian Constitution.
- All previous Judges of High Court had taken oath under the constitution of Jammu and Kashmir, which ceased to have effect since August 5, 2019.
- On account of guidelines with regard to measures for containment of Covid-19 pandemic and to avoid gathering as well as to maintain social distancing other Judges of the J&K High Court joined the oath ceremony through video link. With the appointment of Justice Oswal, the strength of Justices of J&K High Court increased from eight to nine.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: AWARDS AND HONOURS
CLW sets World Record by producing 431 Locomotives in FY 2019-20
- Indian Railways’ Chittaranjan Locomotive Works sets new world record amidst nationwide Coronavirus lockdown! Despite COVID-19 restrictions coming in force on 21 March 2020 across the country, the Chittaranjan Locomotive Works (CLW) has created another record in making the highest number of locomotives. In the financial year 2019-20, the CLW produced a total of 431 locomotives. The locomotive factory, located in Asansol, West Bengal, surpassed its own record of manufacturing a number of 402 locomotives in the financial year 2018-19, which has been recognized by Limca Book of Records as World Record.
- The production of locomotives by CLW has witnessed a jump of 75 per cent over the last six years from 250 locomotives in 2014-15 to 431 locomotives in 2019-20, under the ‘Make in India’ initiative, states Indian Railways.
- According to the ministry, the CLW produced 250 electric locomotives in the financial year 2014-15, 280 locomotives in the financial year 2015-16, 292 locomotives in the financial year 2016-17, 350 locomotives in the financial year 2017-18, 402 locomotices in the financial year 2018-19.
About Indian Railways
- Headquarters– New Delhi
- Union Minister of Railways– Piyush Goyal
- Chairman- Vinod Kumar Yadav
Bob Weighton 112-year-old officially recognised as world’s oldest man
- A Hampshire resident Bob Weighton has been officially recognised as the world’s oldest man by Guinness World Records. Bob Weighton, from the UK, has been officially confirmed as the oldest person living (male) at 112 Years and 1 day as of 30 March 2020.
- He became the latest man to earn the Guinness World Records designation after Japanese man Chitetsu Watanabe passed away on Feb. 23 at 112 years and 355 days old.
- Japanese woman Kane Tanaka is currently the world’s oldest living person after turning 117 in January.
- The oldest male in history is Japan’s Jiroemon Kimura, who lived to be 116 years and 54 days old before dying in 2013.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY
DRDO develops bio suit to keep personnel engaged in combating COVID-19 safe from virus
- Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO) has developed a bio suit to keep the medical, paramedical and other personnel engaged in combating COVID-19 safe from the virus. Defence Ministry stated, the suit has been prepared with the help of the industry and subjected to rigorous testing for textile parameters as well as protection against synthetic blood.
- The protection against synthetic blood exceeds the criteria defined for body suits by Ministry of Health and Family Welfare.
- The Ministry stated, DRDO is making all efforts to ensure that these suits are produced in large numbers and serve as robust line of defence for the medics, paramedics and other personnel in the front line combating COVID-19. It stated, the industry is geared up for production of the suit in large quantities.
- The current production capacity is 7,000 suits per day. The Ministry stated, efforts are on to ramp up the capacity to 15,000 suits per day.
About Ministry of Health and Family Welfare:
- Minister of Science & Technology, Health and Family Welfare and Earth Sciences- Harsh Vardhan
- Constituency- Chandni Chowk, Delhi.
About Defence Research and Development Organisation:
- Headquarters -New Delhi
- Founded- 1958
- Chairman- Dr G. Satheesh Reddy
CURRENT AFFAIRS: OBITUARY
Emmy-winning singer Adam Schlesinger passes away due to COVID-19
- Emmy-winning singer Adam Schlesinger passed away at 52 following complications related to the virus COVID-19.
- He has received a total of ten Emmy nominations throughout his career for writing satirical songs and has won three of them.
Tony Lewis of ‘DLS method’ fame passes away
- Tony Lewis, the man renowned for devising cricket’s Duckworth-Lewis rain rules, has passed away. He was 78.
- In 1999, Lewis in conjunction with his fellow mathematician Frank Duckworth, devised the rule which was officially adopted by the ICC to help calculate fair run-chases in the event of overs being lost to rain during that summer’s World Cup.
Bhai Nirmal Singh, Padma Shri Recipient and Former ‘Hazoori Raagi’ passes away
- Padma Shri recipient and former “Hazoori Raagi” at the Golden Temple, Nirmal Singh, passed away, days after testing positive for coronavirus.
- Singh has the knowledge of all 31 ”raags” in the Gurbani of the Guru Granth Sahib (Sikh holy book). He was awarded the Padma Shri in 2009.
DAILY CA 2nd Apr
- World Autism Awareness Day- 2nd april
- DARPG’s National Monitoring Dashboard launched for COVID-19 Grievances
- World Bank offers $1bn for proposed India project
- Global economy could shrink by almost 1 per cent in 2020, say UN
- India’s fiscal deficit may shoot to 2 per cent of GDP in FY21: Fitch Solutions
- PhonePe launches coronavirus insurance policy, offers Rs 50,000 cover at Rs 156
- Axis Bank offers EMI deferment on loans for 3 months
- RBI announces more measures to deal with economic fallout of Covid-19
- 25 lakh poor in A.P. to get house sites on April 14 under Navaratnalu-Pedalandariki Illu programme
- Hindustan Unilever completes the GlaxoSmithKline merger
- Lakshminarayanan takes over as MD of Sundaram Home FinanceNissan appoints new Chairman for Africa, Middle East and India
- United Nation’s COP 26 climate change summit postponed till next year
- Personal safety app DROR to help users record their social distancing score
- Philip Anderson, Nobel laureate in physics passes away
- Wimbledon Tennis tournament canceled for the first time since World War-II
- ‘The Witches’ actor Vincent MarzelloPasses away
- Prominent Indian-origin virologist Gita Ramjee dies from coronavirus in South Africa
DAILY CA 3rd Apr
- International Children’s Book Day-2nd april
- Agriculture Minister Narendra Singh Tomar launches new features of e-NAM Platform
- C-DOT and Telecom Service Providers develop COVID Quarantine Alert System
- ADB expects India’s economic growth to slow down to 4 per cent in FY21
- Indian Bank launches new products to support farmers, poultry players
- SBI Cards offers moratorium on credit card dues
- Global cost of Covid-19 could top $4 trillion: Asian Development Bank
- Google donates USD 6.5 million to help fight coronavirus misinformation
- Domino’s Pizza joins hands with ITC Foods to make home delivery of essentials
- AP govt to buy MOM developed by NAVY for COVID-19 patients
- Delhi govt to provide financial assistance worth Rs 5,000 each to all auto-rickshaw, taxi drivers amid lockdown situations
- Maharashtra govt launches online self-assessment tool to better identify, assist patients
- Gujarat govt announces financial assistance of Rs 25 per day for each animal for April for all registered Gau Shalas
- Delhi government launches WhatsApp helpline number to provide credible information
- Aarogya Setu’: Govt launches coronavirus tracker app
- Paytm Money MD & CEO Pravin Jadhav resigns
- Justice Rajnesh Oswal sworn in as permanent Judge of High Court of J&K, Ladakh under Indian Constitution
- CLW sets World Record by producing 431 Locomotives in FY 2019-20
- Bob Weighton 112-year-old officially recognised as world’s oldest man
- DRDO develops bio suit to keep personnel engaged in combating COVID-19 safe from virus
- Emmy-winning singer Adam Schlesinger passes away due to COVID-19
- Tony Lewis of ‘DLS method’ fame passes awayBhai Nirmal Singh, Padma Shri Recipient and Former ‘Hazoori Raagi’ passes away