Dear Readers, Daily Current Affairs News Updates about the National and International events were listed here. Read Current Affairs here and stay updated with current news. Candidates those who are preparing for IBPS/SBI/PO/Clerk exam and all other competitive exams can use this and try Current Affairs Quiz to test your knowledge level.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: DAYS
World Hunger Day
- Every year on May 28is celebrated as World Hunger Day.
- Since 2011, the aim of this initiative has been to not only spread awareness about the malaise of chronic hunger but also to solve hunger and poverty through sustainable undertakings.
- The objective of this day is to raise awareness about more than 820 million people living in chronic hunger worldwide.
International Day of United Nations Peacekeepers
- Every year on 29 May, the United Nations commemorates the International Day of United Nations Peacekeepers.
- Women peacekeepers are essential for promoting sustainable peace and help in improving overall peacekeeping performance.
- The theme for Peacekeepers’ Day 2020 is “Women in Peacekeeping – A Key to Peace.”
World Digestive Health Day
- World Digestive Health Dayis celebrated every year on 29th May.
- World Digestive Health Daywas launched in 2004 to mark the 45th anniversary of the creation of the World Gastroenterology Organisation.
- The organisation has over 100 member societies and 50,000 individual members all over the world.
- The theme for the World Digestive Health Day 2020 campaign is “Gut Microbiome: A Global Perspective.”
CURRENT AFFAIRS: NATIONAL
CIPET Renamed As Central Institute Of Petrochemicals Engineering And Technology
- Central Institute of Plastics Engineering and Technology (CIPET) has been renamed as Central Institute of Petrochemicals Engineering and Technology (CIPET), a premier national institution under the Ministry of Chemicals and Fertilizers, Government of India.
- The changed name has been registered under the Tamil Nadu Societies Registration Act 1975 ( Tamil Nadu Act 27 of 1975).
- Now CIPET will be in a position to fully devote itself for the growth of entire petrochemical sector with a focus on Academics, Skilling, Technology Support and Research.
- The primary objective of CIPET has been contributing towards the growth of the plastics industry through a combined program of education and research.
- The Institute has evolved through the years, creating closer ties with industries with the intent to create innovative plastic based solutions which are resource efficient and marketable
- HQ- Chennai, Tamil Nadu.
- Director- General– S. K. Nayak.
Finance Minister launches free instant e-PAN card facility through Aadhaar
- Finance Minister Nirmala Sitharaman formally launched the facility for instant allotment of PAN on near to real time basis.
- This facility is now available for those PAN applicants who possess a valid Aadhaar number and have a mobile number registered with Aadhaar.
- The allotment process is paperless and an electronic PAN, e-PAN is issued to the applicants free of cost. The beta version of the facility of instant PAN through Aadhaar based e-KYC was started on 12th of Feb on the e-filing website of Income Tax Department. Since then onwards, over 6 lakh 77 thousand instant PANs have been allotted with a turnaround time of about 10 minutes, till 25th of May.
- The instant PAN applicants are required to access the e-filing website of the Income Tax Department to provide their valid Aadhaar number and then submit the OTP received on their Aadhaar registered mobile number.
- On successful completion of this process, a 15-digit acknowledgment number is generated. If required, the applicant can check the status of the request anytime by providing valid Aadhaar number and on successful allotment, can download the e-PAN.
About Ministry of Finance:
- Nirmala Sitharaman, Cabinet Minister
- Constituency : Rajya Sabha, Karnataka
- Anurag Thakur, Minister of State for Finance
- Ajay Bhushan Pandey ,IAS, Finance Secretary & Revenue Secretary
CURRENT AFFAIRS: INTERNATIONAL
US joins G7 artificial intelligence group to counter China
- The United States (US) has joined an international panel for setting ethical guidelines for the use of artificial intelligence. The Trump administration had earlier dismissed the idea.
- The Trump administration had been the lone holdout among leaders of the Group of Seven — the world’s wealthiest democracies — in setting up the Global Partnership on AI.
- The partnership launched after a virtual meeting between national technology ministers. It was nearly two years after the leaders of Canada and France announced they were forming a group to guide the responsible adoption of AI based on shared principles of “human rights, inclusion, diversity, innovation and economic growth.”
- US tech companies such as Microsoft, Google and Apple are all concerned about what guidelines they should be following to use AI responsibly. Given their global presence, the fact that the U.S. wasn’t involved does not mean that they would not end up having to follow any regulations developed by the rest of the G7.
- The Group of Seven is an international intergovernmental economic organization consisting of the seven largest IMF- advanced economies in the world: Canada, France, Germany, Italy, Japan, the United Kingdom and the United States
- 44th G7 summit- Canada
- 45th G7 summit- France
- 46th G7 summit- US
Switzerland launches first app based on Google, Apple’s Exposure Notification API
- Switzerland has launched the world’s first app that utilised the Exposure Notification API developed by Apple and Google.
- The app called “SwissCovid” is currently available to members of the Swiss army, civil servants, and hospital workers. The app will be rolled out to a wider audience once the Swiss MPs debate and approve the app. The Swiss government hopes to achieve this by mid-June.
- Apart from Switzerland, Latvia too has developed an app that utilised the API. The report says that their app called the Apturi Covid app could be rolled out to the general public .Apple has already approved the app on the App Store and the team is now waiting for an approval by the Google Play Store.
- Apple and Google have stated that a handful of states in the US, which includes Alabama, South Carolina, Virginia and North Dakota, and a total of 22 countries have requested access to the API, a report by 9To5Mac states. However, some countries have criticised the API for the restrictions it has that prevent the developers from collecting location data among other things.
- Currency: Swiss franc (CHF)
- Capital : Bern
CURRENT AFFAIRS: BANKING AND FINANCE
ADB signs 177 million dollars loan to upgrade major roads, highways in Maharashtra
- The Asian Development Bank -ADB signed a 177 million US dollars loan to upgrade 450 km of state highways and major district roads in Maharashtra .
- under the Maharashtra state road improvement project, two major district roads and 11 state highways, with combined length of 450 km will be upgraded to two-lane standard across seven districts. It stated, the projects would improve connectivity to national highways, interstate roads, seaports, airports, rail hubs, district headquarters, industrial areas, enterprise clusters and agricultural areas.
- Improved mobility will expand development and livelihood opportunities outside of the state’s major urban centres to second-tier cities and towns thus reducing income disparities.
- The release stated, the project will also focus on training the Maharashtra Public Works Department project staff to build their capacity in climate change adaptation and disaster resilient features in road design, road maintenance planning and road safety.
- Capital: Mumbai
- Governor: Bhagat Singh Koshyari
- Chief Minister: Uddhav Thackeray
- Headquarters: Mandaluyong, Philippines
- President: Masatsugu Asakawa
RBI imposes penalty on 3 lenders
- The Reserve Bank of India (RBI), stated it has imposed a monetary penalty on Bank of India (Rs.5 crore), Karnataka Bank (Rs.1.20 crore) and Saraswat Co-operative Bank (Rs.30 lakh).
- The central bank, in a statement, stated it has imposed the penalty on Bank of India for non-compliance with certain provisions of the directions issued by it on ‘Income Recognition, Asset Classification (IRAC) and provisioning pertaining to advances – Divergence in NPA (non-performing asset) accounts’, ‘opening of current accounts by banks – Need for discipline’, and ‘classification and reporting of frauds.’
- In the case of Karnataka Bank, the RBI imposed the penalty for non-compliance with certain provisions of the directions issued by it on ‘Prudential Norms on IRAC and provisioning pertaining to advances – Divergence in NPA Accounts’ and ‘Prudential norms on IRAC and Provisioning pertaining to Advances.’
- In the case of Saraswat Co-operative Bank, the RBI imposed the penalty for non-compliance with directions issued by it on ‘IRAC norms.’
- In all three cases, the RBI stated: “This penalty has been imposed in exercise of powers vested in RBI under the… Banking Regulation Act, 1949. This action is based on the deficiencies in regulatory compliance and is not intended to pronounce upon the validity of any transaction or agreement entered into by the bank with its customers.”
About Bank of India:
- Headquarters: Mumbai, India
- Non-Exe Chairman: Padmanabhan
- MD & CEO : Atanu Kumar Das
- Tagline :Relationship Beyond Banking
About Karnataka bank:
- Headquarters: Mangalore
- CEO: Mahabaleshwara M. S
- Tagline :Your Family Bank Across India
CURRENT AFFAIRS: STATES
Kargil’s first Solar Lift Irrigation Plant inaugurated in Ladakh
- In Ladakh, Director of Animal, Sheep Husbandry and Fisheries Dr Mohammad Raza inaugurated the first Solar Lift Irrigation Plant of Kargil with five KW Solar Plant and three HP Submersible Pump (Kargil Renewable Energy Agency-KREDA )at Yak Breeding Farm, Bodh Kharboo keeping in view the protocols of social distancing and Standard Operating Prcedures.
- This prototype will help others to solve the shortage of water to irrigate, particularly those lands which are at the banks of river. It will also help in solve the drinking water issue as well.
- The Pump is discharging 45,000 Litre water per day from Dawn to Desk which is a great achievement in this sector and soon KREDA will be proposing for more such projects which involves one-time investment which has no recurring cost.
- Lieutenant Governor– Radha Krishna Mathur
Free online coaching for Tamil Nadu NEET aspirants from June 15
- The Department of School Education in association with Amphisoft Technologies E – box will be offering a free online crash course to government and government-aided school students registered for National Eligibility cum Entrance Test (NEET) 2020, Tamil Nadu government has announced.
- The course will be offered for both English and Tamil medium students. Students enrolled for the course will be able to solve over 6,500 questions covering all concepts in physics, chemistry, botany, and zoology.
- The training comprises of four hours of video lectures and four hours of practice and formative tests. The entire course will cover 80 chapter-wise practice tests, 80 formative tests, five-unit tests, two half portion tests, and 10 full portion tests.
- All the Chief Educational Officers have been informed by the department that the students who have registered for NEET 2020 can register for this course through http://app.eboxcolleges.com/neetregister
- Capital- Chennai
- CM- Edappadi K Palanisamy
- Governor- Banwarilal Purohit
MP Govt is preparing database under ‘Swamitva’ scheme
- The Madhya Pradesh Government is preparing a database under the Swamitva scheme launched on a pilot basis by Prime Minister Narendra Modi on 24th April. The scheme aims to provide land ownership rights to people in rural areas.
- On the basis of the database prepared under this scheme, land rights records and property registers of rural settlements will also be prepared at the panchayat level.
- The survey work will be done by the Survey of India through the Panchayat and Rural Development and Revenue Department.
- Under the scheme, 10 districts of the state have been selected as pilot projects in the first year. The survey of the remaining 42 districts will be conducted in the second and third years.
- The main goal of the Rural Population Survey Scheme is to prepare the land right records of village properties and to provide ownership to each property owner.
- The benefit of having a rights record will be that it will make it easier to take loans from the bank on the properties.
- The process of family division and transfer of assets will be smooth and family disputes will also be less.
- One of the advantages of this scheme is that the Gram Panchayats will also get the financial resources at the local level.
About Madhya Pradesh:
- Capital: Bhopal
- Chief minister: Shivraj Singh Chouhan
- Governor: Lalji Tandon
MP Govt creates ‘Rojgar Setu Yojana’ to employ migrant workers
- The State Government has created ‘Rojgar Setu Yojana’ to employ migrant workers, who have come back to the State from other states amid coronavirus-induced lockdown, stated Madhya Pradesh Chief Minister Shivraj Singh Chouhan.
- CM Chouhan stated State Government is preparing details after surveying skilled labourers. They have created ‘Rojgar Setu Yojana’ to employ migrant workers, who have come back to the State from other States amid coronavirus-induced lockdown.
- The database are prepared after getting details of skilled labourers. With the help of this description, they will be provided employment in small, cottage industries or factories, he stated.
Recent schemes by Madhya Pradesh govt:
- Madhya Pradesh government has released the official WhatsApp channel and Facebook Messenger to tackle Coronavirus (COVID-19) spread.
- Madhya Pradesh government is inviting MP Jeevan Shakti Yojana online registration form 2020 at maskupmp.mp.gov.in. The state govt. has started Women Mask Scheme application form to raise the production of masks from home
- Department of school education, Madhya Pradesh government has launched Top Parent Mobile App and is available to download from google play store. MP govt. also starts Digi Lap – Aapki Padhai Aapke Ghar Scheme 2020
CURRENT AFFAIRS: MOU
Vakrangee ties up with LIC for micro insurance products
- Vakrangee Ltd has tied up with Life Insurance Corporation of India (LIC) to distribute micro insurance products in unserved and underserved areas through its centres across the country.
- Further, renewal premium collection for all micro insurance policies of LIC will be enabled at Vakrangee kendras irrespective whether these policies have been procured at the kendra or not.
- Vakrangee currently has more than 23,000 kendras (10,000 operational and 13,000 under on-boarding process) spread across 30 states and union territories, 500 districts and 6,150 postal codes.
About Vakrangee Ltd
- Incorporated in 1990, Vakrangee is a technology-driven company focused on building a network of last-mile retail outlets to deliver real-time banking and financial services, ATM, insurance, e-governance, e-commerce and logistics services to the unserved rural, semi-urban and urban markets.
- Managing Director & CEO– Mr. Dinesh Nandwana
About Life Insurance Corporation of India (LIC)
- Headquarters– Mumbai, Maharashtra
- Chairman– M R Kumar
CSIR-IIIM & Reliance Industries Limited (RIL) to develop RT-LAMP based test for Coronavirus
- CSIR-IIIM, Jammu a constituent laboratory of CSIR has partnered with Reliance Industries Limited (RIL) to develop and scale-up a new Reverse Transcriptase-Loop Mediated Isothermal Amplification (RT-LAMP) based COVID-19 diagnostic kit for which a formal MOU has also been signed between CSIR-IIIM, Jammu and RIL.
- COVID-19 RT-LAMP test is a nucleic acid based test carried out from nasal/throat swab sample from patients. The test recipe has been developed and successfully demonstrated using synthetic templates. It is rapid (45-60 min), cost effective and accurate test. It has been tested with a small number of patients samples and validating the kit on more number of patient samples is planned and will be done together with RIL.
- The advantage of this test is that the RT-LAMP based COVID-19 kit components are easily available and these can be completely manufactured in India. While the, the current COVID-19 testing is done by real-time PCR their components are mostly imported. Further these tests are expensive; require highly trained manpower, costly instruments and a relatively high-end lab and cannot be deployed at remote locations in quarantine centers, airports and railway stations, etc.
- On the other hand, the RT-LAMP test can be done in a single tube with minimal expertise in a very basic lab setup like mobile units / kiosks for testing at Airports, Railway Stations, Bus Stands and other public places. The end detection of the test is a simple colored reaction, which is easily visible in UV light, and now is being modified such that it can be detected in regular light.
- CSIR-IIIM and RIL will jointly approach ICMR for approval. RIL plans to rapidly scale up the tests for the larger population and use it for easy, rapid and widespread diagnosis for COVID-19 detection for the larger interest of society.
UP govt to sign MoUs with industry associations to create 10 lakh jobs for migrant workers
- In a major breakthrough in the ongoing process of Employment generation for migrant workers in Uttar Pradesh, stage is now set for employment of 10 lakh workers.
- Many industries associations will sign MoUs with state government in this regard which will give a boost to the MSME sector in state.
- In the presence of Chief Minister Yogi Adityanath, MSME department of state will sign MOUs with Industries and Business Chambers for providing 9.5 lakhs skilled and semi skilled manpower.
- Under this agreement Indian Industries Association has asked for 5 lakh workers while National real estate Development Council asked for 2.5 lakh and CII has asked for 2 lakh workers.
- Chief Minister Yogi Adityanath has started the mission for migrant workers with the motto of Har Hath Ho kam, Har Ghar Mein Rojgar means work to every hand and Employment to every house.
- A special software is being prepared for the generation of employment according to the skill of migrant workers and the need of industrial units.
- Capital- lucknow
- CM- Yogi Adityanath
- Governor- Anandhiben Patel
CURRENT AFFAIRS: APPS AND PORTALS
NPCI launches AI virtual assistant PAi to create product awareness
- National Payment Corporation of India (NPCI) has launched an artificial intelligence (AI) based chatbot, PAi, to create awareness around its products like FASTag, RuPay, UPI, AePS on a real time basis.
- The AI virtual assistant, PAi will be available round the clock and help users with access to accurate information on NPCI products.
- Customers can ask queries in English and Hindi, via text or voice on the websites of NPCI, RuPay, and UPI Chalega.
- Through PAi, users can get verified automated responses to their queries on all NPCI’s products. PAi would also be accessible to global RuPay cardholders as well.
- PAi is developed by Bengaluru based startup CoRover Private Limited.
- Headquarters- Mumbai
- Non Executive Chairman- Biswamohan Mahapatra
- Managing director and chiefexecutive officer- Dilip Asbe
CURRENT AFFAIRS: APPOINTMENTS AND RESIGNATION
BBB selects SN Rajeswari as CMD of Oriental Insurance Company
- SN Rajeswari,general manager,New India Assurance(NIA),has been selected by the Banks Board Bureau (BBB), as the CMD of the Delhi based Oriental Insurance Company(OIC).
- AV Girija Kumar,CMD,OIC,is retiring this month end after reaching 60.
- BBB had conducted virtual interviews of five senior general managers of the public sector general insurance industry with two years of residual services untill May 2022,to select a CMD of OIC.
- Headquarters location- New Delhi
- Founded- 12 September 1947
Marcos Troyjo elected as the next NDB President
- Marcos Prado Troyjo was unanimously elected as the President of the NDB from July 7, 2020, succeeded K. V. Kamath.
- The Board of Governors of the NDB also appointed Anil Kishora as Vice President of the Bank.
- He recently served as Brazil’s Deputy Economy Minister and Special Secretary for Foreign Trade and International Affairs and represented the Brazilian Government on the boards of multilateral development institutions.
- Troyjo was also Chairman of Brazil’s Commission on External Financing and its National Investment Committee.
- Troyjo is a member of the World Economic Forum (WEF) Global Future Council on International Trade and Investment. He was Director of the Intelligent Tech & Trade Initiative (ITTI).
- Troyjo authors books on development, technology and global affairs.
- Headquarters location- Shanghai, China
- First president- K. V. Kamath
IOC appoints Narinder Batra as member of Olympic Channel Commission
- Indian Olympic Association (IOA) president Narinder Batra has been appointed as a member of the Olympic Channel Commission.
- The 63-year-old Batra had earlier served as the president of Hockey India (2014-2016) and Asian Hockey Federation (2003-2013). He was also the treasurer of Delhi & District Cricket Association between 2003 to 2013.
- Narinder Batra will remain President of the International Hockey Federation (FIH) until May 2021.
About International Olympic Committee (IOC)
- Headquarters– Lausanne, Switzerland.
- President– Thomas Bach.
Food delivery unicorn Zomato elevates Mohit Gupta as co-founder
- Ant Financial-backed food delivery unicorn Zomato has elevated Mohit Gupta, CEO of its food delivery business, as its co-founder.
- Prior to joining Zomato in 2018, Gupta was with online travel giant MakeMyTrip for over a decade. He has also had a long stint with PepsiCo International, among other places.
- Gupta is the fourth person to become the co-founder of the Gurgaon-headquartered company, while others are Gunjan Patidar, Deepinder Goyal and Guarav Gupta.
- Headquarters– Gurugram, Haryana.
- Founders– Deepinder Goyal and Pankaj Chaddah.
LS Speaker nominates Dr Jitendra Singh, others as Delimitation Commission Members
- Lok Sabha Speaker Om Birla has nominated the Associate Members of Delimitation Commission for the Union Territory of Jammu and Kashmir along with Assam, Arunachal Pradesh, Nagaland and Manipur under Article 5 of the Delimitation Act, 2002.
- The members nominated in J&K are MoS PMO, Dr Jitendra Singh and Members of Parliament, Farooq Abdullah, Mohammad Akbar Lone, Hasnain Masoodi and Jugal Kishore Sharma.
- Jammu and Kashmir at present has no legislative assembly as it is a Union Territory with a provision of a legislature. Members of Parliament and legislative assemblies of states, for which the Delimitation Commission is set up, are drawn in as associate members to assist the panel in its task.
- The commission will delimit the constituencies of Jammu and Kashmir in accordance with the provisions of the Jammu and Kashmir Reorganisation Act 2019.
- According to section 60 of Jammu and Kashmir Reorganisation Act 2019, the number of seats in the Legislative Assembly of Union territory of Jammu and Kashmir shall be increased from 107 to 114.
Wipro appoints Thierry Delaporte as CEO & Managing Director
- Wipro has appointed Thierry Delaporte as Chief Executive Officer (CEO) & Managing Director effective from July 6.
- Abidali Neemuchwala will relinquish his position as CEO & MD on June 1. Rishad Premji will oversee the day to day operations of the company until July 5.
- Until recently, Delaporte was the COO of Capgemini Group and a member of its Group Executive Board. During his twenty-five year career with Capgemini, he held several leadership roles including that of CEO of the Global Financial Services Strategic Business Unit, and head of all global service lines.
- He also oversaw Capgemini’s lndia operations and led the group’s transformation agenda, conceptualizing and driving several strategic programs across various business units.
- Delaporte is the first non-Indian CEO among the top four IT firms. Earlier, Teaneck-based Cognizant brought in Brian Humphries as the CEO, as the co-founder Francisi DeSouza stepped down.
- Owner: Azim Premji
- Headquarters: Bengaluru
CURRENT AFFAIRS: SUMMITS AND CONFERENCE
‘Hunar Haat’ to make a comeback in September 2020 after a gap of over -months due to COVID-19
- ‘Hunar Haat’, the flagship initiative by the Minority Affairs Ministry, will make a comeback in September 2020 with a ‘Local to Global’ theme.
- The skill fare will resume to operate after an over five-month gap due to the coronavirus pandemic. The last Hunar Haat was held in end of February to March 8 in Ranchi. It is organised in various different cities of the country.
- ‘Hunar Haat’ is a platform to provide market, employment and employment opportunities to artisans, craftspeople, culinary experts from remote areas of the country to showcase their rare exquisite indigenous handmade products
- So far more than five lakh Indian have been benefited in the last five years.
- The Hunar Haat in Sept 2020 will also have a special ‘jaan bhi, jahaan bhi’ pavilion to create health awareness among the people with the theme of “Say no to panic, yes to precautions“.
- Also, this time, people will be able to buy ‘Hunar Haat’ products online too.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: AWARDS AND HONOURS
SA scientist Quarraisha Abdool Karim wins R10m French prize
- Acclaimed HIV researcher Professor Quarraisha Abdool Karim, who found that a topical gel could stop many women catching the virus, has been awarded one of France’s top science prizes.
- Abdool Karim won the €500 000 (about R9 577 995) Christophe Merieux Prize for her work for the Durban-based Centre for the AIDS Programme of Research in South Africa (Caprisa), which she heads.
- Caprisa is run at the University of KwaZulu-Natal’s medical school. The Institut de France, which runs the prize, praised her work tracing “the cycle of transmission” of the virus, with “young women generally getting it from men 10 years their senior”.
- They also hailed her work on vaccines for the virus and of how to treat people who have tuberculosis and are also HIV positive.
- Abdool Karim is best known for a study that found that a gel of the anti-retroviral drug tenofovir was effective in reducing the risk of women catching HIV and genital herpes during sex.
- Abdool Karim, 60, has previously won her homeland’s highest honour, the Order of Mapungubwe, as well as a prestigious L’Oral-Unesco for Women in Science award.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: SPORTS
Sri Lanka suspends fast bowler Shehan Madushanka
- Sri Lanka fast bowler Shehan Madushanka has been suspended from all forms of cricket with immediate effect after he was arrested for alleged possession of illegal drugs.
- Madushanka was in possession of two grams of heroin.
- The 25-year-old took a hat-trick in his first one-day international against Bangladesh in January, 2018, in Dhaka and played two more Twenty20 internationals on that tour before being sidelined with injuries.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: OBITUARY
Rajya sabha M P Veerendra Kumar dies at 84
- M P Veerendra Kumar, the Managing Director of leading Malayalam daily Mathrubhumi and a member of PTI’s Board of Directors, died at a private hospital following cardiac arrest.
- Veerendra Kumar, a Rajya Sabha MP from Kerala and a former union minister, was 84.Veerendra Kumar was elected to the Kerala Legislative Assembly in 1987 and to the Lok Sabha twice.
- Veerendra Kumar had served thrice as the Chairman of Press Trust of India, and at the time of his death was one of the directors in the news agency’s board.
Stanley Ho, ‘King of Gambling’ who built Macau, dies at 98
- Stanley Ho, a onetime kerosene trader who built a casino empire in Macau that propelled the Chinese island past Las Vegas as the world’s biggest gambling hub, has died at age 98.
- Known as the King of Gambling, Ho dominated gaming in the former Portuguese colony after winning a monopoly license in 1961. His SJM Holdings Ltd. flourished as China’s economic opening created a flood of new wealth in a country with a passion for gambling. SJM now controls 20 casinos on an island of about 10 square miles.
- Ho, a former socialite, is already chairman of one of Macau’s biggest conglomerates and co-chairman of casino operator MGM China Holdings Ltd., having become her father’s favored successor years ago.
DAILY CA 28th MAY
- Webinar on “Van Dhan Scheme organized by DST, Rajasthan in association with TRIFED, M/O Tribal Affairs: learnings for post COVID-19”
- UAE-based Secure Cam to launch surveillance campaign in India
- Indian economy to shrink by 5 per cent during FY21, says S&P
- Uttar Pradesh govt to develop 800 km roads as Herbal roads
- Karnataka govt to launch a project to maintain health database of all citizens
- Aarogya Setu becomes open source
- Taiwan President Tsai Ing-wen Begins Her Second Term
- Leo Puri to take over as Chairman of JP Morgan
- IL&FS gets NCLT nod to sell stake in GIFT City to Gujarat govt
- NASA Renamed Its WFIRST Telescope after ‘Mother of Hubble’ Nancy Grace Roman
- IIT Madras develops light-weight alloy to replace steel, aluminium in cars
- Facebook launches CatchUp, an audio-only calling app that shows who’s ready to chat now
- Flipkart signs MoU with Karnataka Mango Board to enable farmers sell produce online
- Tamil Nadu inks 17 MoUs with firms totalling investments of 15,128 crore
- PFC signs MoU with NBPCL to fund 225 MW hydro-electric projects, Multipurpose projects in MP
- FIFA and WHO launch campaign to help domestic violence victims amid coronavirus lockdown
- Noted Urdu writer & satirist Mujtaba Hussain Passes away
DAILY CA 29th MAY
- World Hunger Day- 28th may
- International Day of United Nations Peacekeepers- 29th may
- World Digestive Health Day- 29th may
- CIPET Renamed As Central Institute Of Petrochemicals Engineering And Technology
- Finance Minister launches free instant e-PAN card facility through Aadhaar
- US joins G7 artificial intelligence group to counter China
- Switzerland launches first app based on Google, Apple’s Exposure Notification API
- ADB signs 177 million dollars loan to upgrade major roads, highways in Maharashtra
- RBI imposes penalty on 3 lenders
- Kargil’s first Solar Lift Irrigation Plant inaugurated in Ladakh
- Free online coaching for Tamil Nadu NEET aspirants from June 15
- MP Govt is preparing database under ‘Swamitva’ scheme
- MP Govt creates ‘Rojgar Setu Yojana’ to employ migrant workers
- Vakrangee ties up with LIC for micro insurance products
- CSIR-IIIM & Reliance Industries Limited (RIL) to develop RT-LAMP based test for Coronavirus
- UP govt to sign MoUs with industry associations to create 10 lakh jobs for migrant workers
- NPCI launches AI virtual assistant PAi to create product awareness
- BBB selects SN Rajeswari as CMD of Oriental Insurance Company
- Marcos Troyjo Elected As The Next NDB President
- IOC appoints Narinder Batra as member of Olympic Channel Commission
- Food delivery unicorn Zomato elevates Mohit Gupta as co-founder
- LS Speaker nominates Dr Jitendra Singh, others as Delimitation Commission Members
- Wipro appoints Thierry Delaporte as CEO & Managing Director
- ‘Hunar Haat’ to make a comeback in September 2020 after a gap of over -months due to COVID-19
- SA scientist Quarraisha Abdool Karim wins R10m French prize
- Sri Lanka suspends fast bowler Shehan Madushanka
- Rajya sabha M P Veerendra Kumar dies at 84
- Stanley Ho, ‘King of Gambling’ who built Macau, dies at 98