Dear Readers, Daily Current Affairs News Updates about the National and International events were listed here. Read Current Affairs here and stay updated with current news. Candidates those who are preparing for IBPS/SBI/PO/Clerk exam and all other competitive exams can use this and try Current Affairs Quiz to test your knowledge level.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: DAYS
World No-Tobacco Day
- World No Tobacco Day is observed around the world every year on 31 May.
- The World Health Organization (WHO) promotes World No Tobacco Day each year to highlight the health risks of using tobacco and to encourage governments to put policies into action that help to reduce smoking and the use of other tobacco products.
- Thetheme for the World No Tobacco Day 2020 is #TobaccoExposed.
- Thistheme tries to empower youth to understand the tactics used by the tobacco industry to sell these products.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: BANKING AND FINANCE
SEBI slaps Rs 20 lakh fine on DHFL for violating market norms
- Markets regulator Sebi levied a fine of Rs 20 lakh on Dewan Housing Finance Corporation Ltd (DHFL) for not complying with market norms while issuing non-convertible debentures (NCDs).
- The markets watchdog had received a reference from Catalyst Trusteeship Ltd, a Sebi-registered debenture trustee, pertaining to NCDs issued by DHFL.
- The firm issued 37 NCDs that were publicly placed and 201 NCDs that were privately placed.
- It was found that the company did not create debenture redemption reserve (DRR) for 15 ISINs in the financial year 2016-17 and 37 ISINs in the financial year 2017-18.
- International Securities Identification Numbers (ISINs) are used to number specific securities.
- Besides, it also failed to deposit a little over Rs 700 crore in the financial year 2019-20, towards DRR requirement.
- Additionally, the firm did not submit audited financial result for the financial year 2018-19 as prescribed under the Listing Obligations and Disclosure Requirements (LODR) norms.
- Founded- 12 April 1992
- Headquarters- Mumbai
- Chairperson- Ajay Tyagi
RBI imposes Rs.4 crore penalty on Citibank
- Reserve Bank of India (RBI) has imposed a penalty of 4 crore on Citibank for non-compliance of no-objection certificate (NOC) norms at the time of opening current accounts.
- The US based foreign bank was penalised for non-compliance with the directions issued by RBI on obtaining declaration from customers about credit facilities enjoyed with other banks, granting non-fund based facilities to non-constituent borrowers, verifying data available in CRILC database and obtaining No-Objection Certificate (NOC) from lending banks at the time of opening current accounts, and submission of compliance to risk assessment findings.
- Earlier, RBI had imposed a fine of6.5 crore on three banks, Bank of India, Karnataka Bank and Saraswat Co-operative Bank. While Bank of India (BoI) was fined Rs.5 crore, Karnataka Bank and Saraswat Co-operative Bank were finedRs.1.2 crore and Rs.30 lakh, respectively.
About Citi Bank
- Headquarters- New York, United States
- CEO- Mary McNiff
CURRENT AFFAIRS: APPS AND PORTALS
Ravi Shankar Prasad launches India’s National Artificial Intelligence Portal
- The Union Minister for Electronics and IT, Law and Justice and Communications Ravi Shankar Prasad launched India’s national Artificial Intelligence Portal called ai.gov.in
- The portal will work as a one stop digital platform for AI related developments in India, sharing of resources such as articles, startups, investment funds in AI, resources, companies and educational institutions related to AI in India.
- The portal will also share documents, case studies, research reports etc. It has section about learning and new job roles related to AI.
- This portal has been jointly developed by the Ministry of Electronics and IT and IT Industry. National e-Governance Division of Ministry of Electronics and IT and NASSCOM from the IT industry will jointly run this portal.
- He also launched a National Program for the youth, “Responsible AI for Youth”.
- The aim of this Program is to give the young students of our country a platform and empower them with appropriate new age tech mind-set, relevant AI skill-sets and access to required AI tool-sets to make them digitally ready for the future.
- The Program has been created and launched by the National e-Governance Division, Ministry of Electronics & IT in collaboration with Intel India, with support from Department of School Education and Literacy (DoSE&L), Ministry of Human Resource Development. DoSE&L will help reach-out to State Education Departments to nominate teachers as per eligibility criteria.
- The Union Minister of Electronics and IT, Law and Justice and Communications- Ravi Shankar Prasad
- Constituency- Patna sahib, Bihar.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: APPOINTMENTS AND RESIGNATION
Arun Singhal Appointed Food Safety Regulator Chief
- Senior bureaucrat Arun Singhal has been appointed as the Chief Executive Officer of Food Safety and Standards Authority of India (FSSAI).
- Singhal is special secretary, department of health and family welfare. He will succeed GSG Ayyangar who was briefly appointed as the CEO of the food regulator.
- Headquarters- New Delhi
- Chairperson- Rita Teaotia
Lieutenant General Manoj Pande takes over as Commander-In-Chief of Andaman & Nicobar Command
- Lieutenant General Manoj Pande will take over as the 15th Commander-in-Chief of the Andaman & Nicobar Command (CINCAN).
- He was Director General at Army Headquarters dealing with subjects of Discipline, Ceremonial and Welfare, prior to assuming the present appointment.
- Meanwhile Lieutenant General Podali Shankar Rajeshwar PVSM, AVSM, VSM, ADC, the 14th Commander-in-Chief of the Andaman & Nicobar Command (CINCAN) retired from service on 31st May 2020.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: MERGERS AND ACQUISITIONS
YES Bank acquires 24.19% stake in Dish TV through pledged shares
- Private sector lender YES Bank has acquired 24.19 per cent in Dish TV, making it the second-largest shareholder in the direct-to-home (DTH) company.
- The bank’s move to pick up a stake in Dish TV comes following an invocation of pledged shares to the tune of 445.3 million in the firm.
- This is the sixth such transaction by YES Bank in a year in various companies.
- Yes Bank has acquired majority stake in a non-banking businesses simply due to invocation of pledge against shares of a company that had availed loans from the bank and later failed to repay the dues.
About YES Bank
- CEO- Prashant Kumar
- Headquarters- Mumbai
- Tagline- Experience our Expertise.
About Dish TV
- CEO-Anil Dua
- Headquarters- Noida
CURRENT AFFAIRS: SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY
NASA astronauts aboard the International Space Station after Dragon capsule successfully docks
- SpaceX’s Dragon spacecraft with two NASA astronauts successfully docked with the International Space Station after a historic launch from the Kennedy Space Center in Florida. It has marked the dawn of a new age in commercial space travel.
- NASA astronauts Bob Behnken and Doug Hurley, the pair chosen for the mission because of their experience and expertise flying new vehicles, reported that the spacecraft was performing well.
- SpaceX became the first private company to launch people into the orbit, a feat achieved previously by only three governments the US, Russia and China.
- NASA Administrator -Jim Bridenstine
CURRENT AFFAIRS: RANKING
Virat Kohli only cricketer in Forbes’ 2020 list of world’s highest paid athletes
- India skipper Virat Kohli is the only cricketer to feature in Forbes’ list of the top 100 highest paid athletes in the world for the year 2020.
- Kohli had an estimated total earnings of $26 million ($24m from endorsements and $2m from salary/winnings). He made a jump of over 30 places from 2019, as he was positioned at the 66th spot in this year’s list.
- This is the second year in a row that Kohli has become the only Indian to feature in the Forbes’ list of top 100 highest-paid athletes. In 2019, he was positioned at the 100th place with an estimated earnings of $25 million.
- Meanwhile, Swiss tennis great Roger Federer has become the first from his sport to top Forbes’ list of highest paid athletes. With an estimated $106.3 million earned over the past 12 months.
- The three athletes immediately below Federer are all football players with Ronaldo on second with estimated earnings of $105 million. His arch rival and Argentine great Lionel Messi is third with an estimated $104 million while Brazil’s Neymar comes fourth with $95.5 million
CURRENT AFFAIRS: SPORTS
Indian long-distance runner Kiranjeet Kaur handed four-year ban after being tested positive for doping
- Long-distance runner Kiranjeet Kaur, who won the Tata Steel Kolkata last year, has been handed a four-year ban by World Athletics’ anti-doping body for returning positive for a banned substance in a test conducted in Doha.
- Kaur will be stripped of the top prize she won at the Tata Steel Kolkata 25K. Her ban period has begun from 15 December, the date of in-competition sample collection. She was provisionally suspended by World Athletics on 26 February.
- Kaur had clocked 1:38:56 to finish 11th overall and first among Indians in the Kolkata 25K on 15 December last year.
- Headquarters- Montreal, Canada
- Founder- Dick Pound
BCCI nominates 4 players for Khel Ratna, Arjuna Award
- The Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) nominated India opener Rohit Sharma for the prestigious Rajiv Gandhi Khel Ratna Award 2020 while pacer Ishant Sharma, Shikhar Dhawan and India women’s cricketer Deepti Sharma have been nominated for the Arjuna Awards.
- Rohit became the first player in the history to score five ODI centuries in a single edition of the World Cup. He was also named the ICC ODI Cricketer of the Year for 2019. He holds the record of becoming the first player to score twin centuries in his maiden Test appearance and the first batsman to score four T20I centuries.
- Shikhar holds the record to score the fastest century in red-ball cricket on debut. He is also the only batsman in the world to have to won consecutive golden bats in the ICC Champions Trophy.
- Ishant Sharma has been spearheading the Indian bowling attack, mostly in the traditional format of the game and holds the record for most wickets by an Indian pacer outside Asia.
- All-rounder, Deepti Sharma has been impressive in both the departments of the game. She currently holds the record for the highest individual score among the Indian women cricketers and is also the only spinner from the country to take six wickets in an ODI.
- President- Sourav Ganguly
- Headquarters- Mumbai
CURRENT AFFAIRS: OBITUARY
Renowned astrologer Bejan Daruwalla passes away
- Famous astrologer Bejan Daruwalla succumbed to lung infection has passed away.
- Daruwalla was a known Ganesha devotee who combined the principles of various techniques like Vedic astrology, Numerology, Palmistry, I-Ching, Tarot, Kabalah and even Western astrology for his predictions.
- He had successfully predicted the market volatility and movement from time-to-time. His website, Ganeshaspeaks, was one of the most-accessed sites in astrology, and commanded a huge following, globally.
DAILY CA 30th MAY
- World Menstrual Hygiene Day- 28th may
- International Everest Day- 29th may
- Donald Trump announces America is terminating its relationship with WHO over its handling of Corona virus
- IMF approves 732 million emergency assistance to Bangladesh for COVID-19
- NABARD sanctions Rs 1,050 crore credit support to West Bengal
- Finance Minister Nirmala Sitharaman chairs 22nd Meeting of the Financial Stability and Development Council
- Uttarakhand launches Mukhyamantri Swarozgar Yojana for returnee migrants
- Centre approves 445 cr for implementation of Jal Jeevan Mission in Chhattisgarh
- Infosys partners up with Avaloq for digital wealth management services
- Sreelekha set to become Kerala’s first woman DGP
- Aiman Ezzat appointed new Capgemini CEO
- PFC board clears R S Dhillon’s appointment as CMD from June 1
- PR Jaishankar assumes charge as IIFCL Managing Director
- IIT-IIM alumnus S Gopalakrishnan appointed as additional secretary in PMO
- Dibrugarh District administration takes to cloud-based application for citizen centric services
- TCS Wins Two Stevie Awards for 2019 TCS New York City Marathon App
- Anish Kapoor tops list of ”Most Successful Indian Artists Alive Today 2020”
- With investments worth USD 14.67 billion, Singapore was top source of FDI in fiscal year 2019-20
- IIT Madras dredging methodology helps Odisha’s Chilika Lake to triple Irrawaddy Dolphin population
- LPU researchers develop ‘Oxigeno’, a multipurpose algae-based respirator
- Missile Park ‘agniprastha’ to be arrange in Ins Kalinga
- UV sanitisation bay set up at Western Naval Command: Navy
- English Premier League to restart on June 17
- Ajit Jogi, first chief minister of Chhattisgarh, passes away
- Lyricist Yogesh passes away
DAILY CA 31st MAY
- World No-Tobacco Day- 31st may
- Sebi slaps Rs 20 lakh fine on DHFL for violating market norms
- RBI imposes4 crore penalty on Citibank
- Ravi Shankar Prasad launches India’s National Artificial Intelligence Portal
- Arun Singhal Appointed Food Safety Regulator Chief
- Lieutenant General Manoj Pande takes over as Commander-In-Chief of Andaman & NicobarCommand
- YES Bank acquires 24.19% stake in Dish TV through pledged shares
- NASA astronauts aboard the International Space Station after Dragon capsule successfully docks
- Virat Kohli only cricketer in Forbes’ 2020 list of world’s highest paid athletes
- Indian long-distance runner Kiranjeet Kaur handed four-year ban after being tested positive for doping
- BCCI nominates 4 players for Khel Ratna, Arjuna Award
- Renowned astrologer Bejan Daruwalla passes away