Dear Readers, Daily Current Affairs News Updates about the National and International events were listed here. Read Current Affairs here and stay updated with current news. Candidates those who are preparing for IBPS/SBI/PO/Clerk exam and all other competitive exams can use this and try Current Affairs Quiz to test your knowledge level.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: DAYS
National Anti-Terrorism Day
- May 21marks the death anniversary of former PM Rajiv Gandhi. The day is also observed as Anti-Terrorism Day. Rajiv Gandhi was the sixth PM of India after his mother Indira Gandhi’s assassination in 1984.
- Anti-Terrorism Day is observed annually to spread the message of peace and humanity and to promote unity among people.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: NATIONAL
Coir geo-textiles to be used in rural road construction under PMGSY-III
- The government stated Coir geo-textiles will be used in the construction of rural roads under the third phase of Pradhan Mantri Gram Sadak Yojana (PMGSY-III).
- Coir geo-textiles are permeable fabric, which are natural, strong, highly durable, resistant to rots, moulds and moisture, and free from any microbial attack.
- They will be used for construction of rural roads under the PMGSY-III, according to a communication from the National Rural Infrastructure Development Agency under Union Ministry of Rural Development.
- As per the PMGSY new technology guidelines for road construction, 15 per cent length of roads in each batch of proposals is to be constructed using new technologies. Out of this 5 per cent roads are to be constructed using Indian Roads Congress (IRC) accredited technology.
- As per these instructions, 5 per cent length of the rural roads under PMGSY-III will be constructed using coir geo-textiles.
- Accordingly, 164 km of road will be constructed using coir geo-textiles in Andhra Pradesh, 151 km in Gujarat, 71 km in Kerala, 328 km in Maharashtra, 470 km in Odisha, 369 km in Tamil Nadu and 121 km in Telengana.
- Thus, 1,674 km road will be constructed using coir geo-textiles in seven states for which there will be a requirement of one crore sq mtr of coir geo-textiles, estimated cost of which would come to Rs 70 crore.
- This phase aims to construct 1,25,000 km of roads with an estimated cost of about 80,250 crores rupees (Central Share of Rs. 53,800 crores) for the period 2019-20 – 2024-25.
- The share of funds between the Centre and the states will be in the ratio of 60:40, but in 8 North Eastern states and three Himalayan states (Jammu and Kashmir (J&K), Himachal Pradesh and Uttarakhand) it will be in the ratio of 90:10.
Defence Ministry approves procurement of 26 defence items from local suppliers to boost ‘Make in India’
- Ministry of Defence has approved procurement of 26 defence items only from local suppliers to boost Make in India. The government has issued Public Procurement (Preference to Make in India) Order 2017 to encourage Make in India and to promote manufacturing and production of goods and services in India.
- Under this order, Department of Defence Production (DDP) has so far notified 127 items where purchase preference is given to local suppliers. In order to further encourage procurement from local suppliers, 26 items out of 127 already notified, have now been notified under the related clause of the Public Procurement (Preference to Make in India) Order.
- Therefore, procuring entities shall procure these items only from local suppliers, irrespective of purchase value, provided that the local suppliers meet the Minimum Local Content (MLC) as prescribed for each item.
- Union Minister- Rajnath Singh
- Constituency- Lucknow, UP
Cabinet approves Rs 20,050cr Pradhan Mantri Matsya Sampada Yojana for boosting fisheries sector
- The Cabinet has approved the “Pradhan Mantri Matsya Sampada Yojana – A scheme to bring about Blue Revolution through sustainable and responsible development of fisheries sector in India”with highest ever investment of 20050 crores in fisheries sector comprising of Central share of Rs. 9407 crore, State share of Rs 4880 crore and Beneficiaries contribution of Rs. 5763 crore.
- PMMSY will be implemented over a period of 5 years from FY 2020-21 to FY 2024-25 in all States/Union Territories.
- The objective of PMMSY is to create direct employment opportunities to 15 lakh people in the sector, double income of fish farmers and workers by 2024 besides addressing the critical gaps in the fisheries sector and increase fish production to 22 million tonne by 2024-25 through sustainable and responsible fishing practices.
- The scheme will focus on creating critical infrastructure including modernisation and strengthening of value chain and improve availability of certified quality fish seed and feed, traceability in fish and including effective aquatic health management.
- It will give a boost to investments in the fisheries sector and increase the competitiveness of fish and fisheries products.
- PMMSY will be implemented as an umbrella scheme with two separate components namely Central Sector scheme (CS) and Centrally Sponsored Scheme (CSS).
- However under the Centrally Sponsored Scheme, non-beneficiary oriented project costs will be shared between the centre and state. The centre will provide 100 per cent funding for projects undertaken in union territories, but in hilly states it would be in the ratio of 90:10, while for other states 60:40.
- For beneficiary oriented projects, the funding will be limited to 40 per cent of the project cost for general category and 60 per cent for backward caste people and women. For which, the fund will be shared in the ration of 90:10 for hilly states, 60:40 for other states and 100 per cent for union territories.
About Minister of Fisheries
- UnionMinister for Fisheries, Animal Husbandry and Dairying- Shri Giriraj Singh
- Constituency- Nawada, Bihar
Union HRD Minister launches IGNOU’s Online MA Hindi Programme
- Human Resource Development Minister Ramesh Pokhriyal ‘Nishank’ has launched IGNOU’s Online Programme, MA (Hindi) through Facebook Live session.
- Apart from MA in Hindi, the university has also launched programmes in MA in Gandhi and Peace Studies, BA in Tourism Studies, certificate course in Arabic, certificate in information technology, certificate programme in Library and Information Science.
- The session was broadcast live through IGNOU’s Gyan Darshan TV Channel, Gyan Dhara, and Facebook page.
About Ministry of Human Resource Development:
- Ramesh Pokhriyal ‘Nishank’, Cabinet Minister
- Constituency :Haridwar
- Sanjay Shamrao Dhotre, Minister of State
Textiles Ministry releases a list of labs equipped to conduct test and certification of PPE Body coveralls
- Textiles Ministry has released a list of laboratories equipped to conduct test and certification of Synthetic Blood Penetration Resistance Test required for Body coveralls for COVID 19.
- All testing, certification, and quality control procedures required in connection with PPE Body coveralls can be conducted in these laboratories. These include Small Arms Factory in Kanpur, Laboratory of Textiles Committee in Mumbai, and Heavy Vehicles Factory in Tamil Nadu.
About Ministry Of Textiles:
- Smriti Zubin Irani: Minister of Textiles
- Constituency : Amethi
Cabinet approves Scheme for Formalization of Micro Food Processing Enterprises
- Union Cabinet gave its approval to a new Centrally Sponsored Scheme named Scheme for Formalization of Micro Food Processing Enterprises for the Unorganized Sector on All India basis with an outlay of 10 thousand crore. The expenditure will be shared by Centre and the States in ratio of 60:40.
- The objectives of the scheme is to increase in access to finance by micro food processing units, increase in revenues of target enterprises, enhanced compliance with food quality and safety standards, strengthening capacities of support systems and transition from the unorganized sector to the formal sector, special focus on women entrepreneurs and aspirational districts, encourage Waste to Wealth activities and focus on minor forest produce in tribal districts.
- Scheme will be implemented over a five-year period from 2020-21 to 2024-25 and two lakh micro-enterprises are to be assisted with credit linked subsidy.
- Micro enterprises will get credit linked subsidy at 35 per cent of the eligible project cost with ceiling of Rs. 10 lakh.
- Beneficiary contribution will be minimum 10 per cent and balance from loan.There will be on-site skill training and Handholding for DPR and technical upgradation.
- The scheme will be rolled out on All India basis. Seed capital will be given to SHGs (Rs. four lakh per SHG) for loan to members for working capital and small tools.
- Grant will be provided to FPOs for backward/forward linkages, common infrastructure, packaging, marketing and branding.
- The scheme would be monitored at Centre by an Inter-Ministerial Empowered Committee under the Chairmanship of Minister, Food Processing Industries.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: BANKING AND FINANCE
Fino Payments Bank to partner with NBFCs to source loans in rural areas
- Fino Payments Bank (FPB) is planning to partner with two-three non-banking finance companies (NBFCs) to source loans for them in rural areas.
- The bank is expecting good appetite for loans from rural India, where 80 per cent of its 4-odd lakh touch-points are located.
- The payments bank, which started operations in July 2017 and turned profitable at the operating level in FY2020, will be running a few pilots with the NBFCs. FPB will earn fees by arranging loans for its customers from these lenders.
- Rishi Gupta, MD and CEO, observed that some credit demand will emerge post-Covid-19. So, FPB will tie-up with a few NBFCs to meet this demand, especially in the rural side.
- A payments bank is a differentiated bank which can accept demand deposits — current deposits and savings bank deposits — from individuals, small businesses and other entities; issue ATM/debit cards; provide payments and remittance services through various channels including branches, ATMs, business correspondents (BC) and mobile banking; and function as the BC of another bank.
About Fino Payments Bank:
- Headquarters: Mumbai
- CEO: Rishi Gupta
ICICI Bank launches special FD scheme for senior citizens
- Private sector lender ICICI Bank announced a special fixed deposit scheme for senior citizens, which offers a higher interest rate.
- Named ‘ICICI Bank Golden Years FD’, the scheme offers senior citizens an interest rate of 55 per annum for deposits up to Rs.2 crore with tenure of more than five years to 10 years.
- It is available from May 20 to September 30, 2020.
- It offers 80 basis points more than what is applicable to general public (non-senior citizens) for the same deposit amount and tenor. Also, it is 30 basis points more than the previous rates offered by the bank, ICICI Bank stated in a statement, adding that resident senior citizens can avail the benefit of this scheme for new FDs as well as renewal of old FDs.
- The customers can avail a loan against their FD up to 90 per cent of principal and accrued interest
- CEO: Sandeep Bakhshi
- Headquarters: Mumbai
- Tagline : Hum Hai Na, Khyal Apka
Edelweiss General Insurance launches pay as you go Motor OD floater policy
- Edelweiss General Insurance has launched an app based Motor Own Damage floater policy under the regulatory sandbox of IRDAI.
- Called Edelweiss SWITCH, it is a driver-based motor insurance policy, which allows vehicle owners to SWITCH their motor insurance on and off, based on usage and covers multiple vehicles under a single policy.
- It is driver-based insurance, where the insurance is calculated on the age and experience of the driver. Edelweiss SWITCH uses a pay-as-you-use model that allows the customer to pay the premium only on the days they use the vehicle, offering significant cost savings and convenience.
- While the policy covers accidental damage when it is switched on, vehicles will be covered 24×7 against fire and theft, even if the policy is switched off at that time.
About Edelweiss General Insurance:
- Chairman & CEO : Rashesh Shah
- Headquarters: Mumbai, Maharashtra, India
CURRENT AFFAIRS: STATES
‘Tatpar’ Scheme In Ranchi To Transport Migrant Workers
- ‘Tatpar’ programme was launched by the Ranchi district administration to ease their tiresome journey on foot. Under the programme, officials collect information about those walking on national highways or on any other road to provide them transport facilities.
- They were given masks and food packets.The administration also launched a helpline 1950 for the migrant workers to facilitate arranging of buses.
- Capital- Ranchi
- Chief Minister- Hemant Soren
- Governor- Draupadi Murmu
‘Mee Annapurna’ – An Inclusive Program for Welfare of Farmers, Bhoomiputras Launched Across Maharashtra
- Department of Agriculture, Govt. of Maharashtra announced a three year empanelment of insurance companies and intermediaries for implementation of crop insurance scheme across the state. The tender was issued on the guidelines of Revamped Pradhan Mantri Fasal Bima Yojana. Post-launch of the guidelines, Integrated Risk Insurance, an IRDA Licensed insurance intermediary, announced ‘Mee Annapurna’, an initiative that integrates three critical aspects of livelihood and comprehensive engagement.
- Mee Annapurna’ initiative revolves around the three commandments – Expertise, Engagement and Entitlement.
- They will be providing FREE-OF-COST skill based training to about 1500+ individuals across 35 districts in Maharashtra and give them a sustainable livelihood by engaging them for the activities related to premium collection, verification of documents, crop cutting experiments & audits.
Integrated Risk Insurance Brokers Limited is an IRDAI Licensed Insurance Broking Company since 2004. They are one of the India’s leading distributors of diversified insurance products and services and specialize in Risk Management, Claim consultancy, Insurance Placement & Government Business.
- Capital– Mumbai
- Chief Minister– Uddhav Thackeray
- Governor– Bhagat Singh Koshyari
UP govt launches ‘Startup Fund’ to encourage youth for entrepreneurship
- Uttar Pradesh government has launched the ‘Uttar Pradesh Startup Fund’ to encourage the youth of the state for entrepreneurship. Chief Minister Yogi Adityanath handed over the first installment of 15 crore rupees to Small Industries Development Bank of India (SIDBI) at a function in Lucknow.
- A new start-up policy is need of the hour for agriculture, health, education, and other important sectors so that youth of state could connect with it.
- The MoU between the state government and SIDBI asa step in this direction, which will further strengthen the possibilities of job creation in state.
- A large number of migrant workers had come to the state and that they needed to be given jobs on the basis of their skills.
- The current emphasis on startups will not only solve their problems but the benefit of their energy and talent will also be provided to the entire country through state.
- Capital- lucknow
- CM-. Yogi Adityanath
- Governor- Anandhiben Patel
CURRENT AFFAIRS: APPOINTMENTS AND RESIGNATION
Rajesh Goel appointed as director general of NAREDCO
- Realtors body National Real Estate Development Council (NAREDCO) has appointed Rajesh Goel as director general (DG) of the association.
- Earlier, Goel was serving as the chairman and managing director, Hindustan Prefab Ltd.
- Rajesh Goel is a professional with over 37 years of experience in leading PSUs under the Ministry of Housing and Urban Affairs, superannuated in November 2019 as the chairman and managing director of Hindustan Prefab Ltd.
- NAREDCO and CREDAI are the two major associations of real estate developers across the country.
- The National Real Estate Development Council was established self-regulatory body in 1998 under the aegis of Housing And Urban Affairs Government of India.
- Headquarters- New Delhi.
- Rajeev Talwar (Chairman) Niranjan Hiranandani (President)
Thomas Thabane resigns as Lesotho’s prime minister
- Lesotho Prime Minister Thomas Thabane has formally resigned after his coalition government fell apart, in a move that could help end a long-running political crisis in the country.
- Thabane had formally handed in his resignation to King Letsie III, the top traditional leader of the tiny mountainous kingdom.
- Thabane, the leader of All Basotho Convention (ABC) party, was facing mounting pressure to step down over a case in which he and his current wife are suspected of involvement in the 2017 murder of his previous, estranged wife.
- Finance Minister Moeketsi Majoro, 58, is expected to replace him.
- Capital– Maseru
- Currency– Lesotho loti
Indian Steel Association names Dilip Oommen as next President
- Indian Steel Association (ISA) appointed Dilip Oommen CEO, Arcelor Mittal Nippon Steel Indiaas its new President with immediate effect.
- This was decided in the Extra Ordinary Board Meeting of ISA.
- The extraordinary board meeting was called to decide on the leadership of the association after Tata Steel CEO T V Narendran stepped down as President on May 1, months before the end of his term in August.
- Oommen has been appointed the President with immediate effect, and his two-year tenure ends in May 2022.
About Indian Steel Association
- HQ- New Delhi
- Secretary General and Executive Head- Bhaskar Chatterjee
- Full Members-JSW Steel, Steel Authority of India Ltd, Rashtriya Ispat Nigam Ltd, Jindal Steel and Power ltd, Bhushan Power and Steel Ltd, ArcelorMittal Nippon Steel Ltd and TATA steel BSL Ltd.
Govinda Rajulu Chintala appointed NABARD chairman
- Govinda Rajulu Chintala has been appointed the chairman of the National Bank for Agriculture and Rural Development (NABARD).
- Chintala, at present, is working as the chief general manager (CGM) of the bank. He will hold the post till his superannuation on July 31, 2022.
- Shaji KV and P V S Suryakumar have been appointed deputy managing directors in the NABARD.
- Shaji is general manager of Canara Bank. Suryakumar, at present CGM in the NABARD
- Founded-12 July 1982
- Headquarters- Mumbai
Former IAS Officer appointed as Chairman of J&K PSC
- J&K Government has appointed B R Sharma, former IAS Officer, as Chairman Public Service Commission for the UT of J&K.
- Lieutenant Governor G C Murmu has appointed Sharma as PSC Chairman who shall hold the position of the Chairman, Public Service Commission till he attains the age of sixty two years.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: SUMMITS AND CONFERENCE
Health Minister Dr. Harsh Vardhan participates in NAM Health Ministers’ meeting
- Health Minister Harsh Vardhan participated in the Non-Aligned Movement (NAM) Health Ministers’ meeting through video conferencing.
- The meeting was chaired by Health Minister of Republic of Azerbaijan Ogtay Shiraliyev.
- The Health Ministers of participating NAM countries expressed their concern at the global threat posed by COVID-19 and resolved to fight it with proper preparedness and greater national, regional and international collaboration.
- Harsh Vardhan while addressing the meeting asserted that the COVID-19 pandemic has displayed the interconnectivity and interdependency of countries like never before.
- He added that it has made the world realize that the man-made challenges can only be faced together with collaboration.
About Non-Aligned Movement :
- The Non-Aligned Movement is a forum of 120 developing world states that are not formally aligned with or against any major power bloc. After the United Nations, it is the largest grouping of states worldwide.
- Headquarters: Central Jakarta, Indonesia
- Chairperson: Ilham Aliyev
About Ministry of Health and Family Welfare:
- Harsh Vardhan :Cabinet Minister
- Constituency : Chandni Chowk
- Ashwini Kumar Choubey : Minister of State
CURRENT AFFAIRS: BOOKS AND AUTHORS
Ruskin Bond’s new book ‘Hop On: My Adventures on Boats, Trains and Planes’ released on his 86th birthday
- Ruskin Bond is one of the most famous authors. He turned 86 and he celebrated it by releasing a new book which takes the audience through his adventures on boats, trains and planes. The book is titledHop On: My Adventures on Boats, Trains and Planes.
- In this book, Ruskin Bond narrates the most memorable travel adventures from his childhood. The illustrations are made by Samrat Halder and published by Speaking Tiger’s children’s imprint Talking Cub. The journey is portrayed with a lot of hilarity and show the wonder of the little boy’s world.
DAILY CA 20th MAY
- World Metrology Day– 20th may
- World Bee Day– 20th may
- Centre reduces EPFO contributions from 12 per cent to 10 per cent from May to July this year
- Nepal to publish maps showing India’s Kalapani, Lipulekh as its territory
- India gives $2 million aid to UN agency working for Palestinian refugees
- UNICEF, Airtel Africa to support children, families affected by Covid-19
- Estonia starts testing digital immunity passport for workplaces
- Canara Bank launches special gold loan biz vertical
- Flipkart ties up with Bajaj Allianz General Insurance for digital motor cover
- Facebook launches ‘Shops’ for Facebook and Instagram
- J&K starts an initiative SUKOON’ – COVID-19 Beat the Stress
- Chhattisgarh to launch Rajiv Gandhi Nyay Yojana for farmers on May 21, former PM’s death anniversary
- Union HRD Minister launches AI-powered mobile app for mock tests for JEE Main, NEET 2020
- Health Minister Harsh Vardhan to be appointed as WHO Executive Board chairman
- Star Rating of Garbage Free Cities: India’s 3-star and 5-star cities Announced
- Jaipur based company ‘Club First’ made robots to help masses
- Flipkart joins Vishal Mega Mart to deliver essentials at home in 26 cities
- Anil Kumble-led ICC Committee calls for ban on saliva to shine ball
- Veteran Musician Purushothaman passes away
- Spritual leader Dev Prabhakar Shastri, popularly called ‘Daddaji’ passes away
DAILY CA 21st MAY
- National Anti-Terrorism Day- 21st may
- Coir geo-textiles to be used in rural road construction under PMGSY-III
- Defence Ministry approves procurement of 26 defence items from local suppliers to boost ‘Make in India’
- Cabinet approves Rs 20,050cr Pradhan Mantri Matsya Sampada Yojana for boosting fisheries sector
- Union HRD Minister launches IGNOU’s Online MA Hindi Programme
- Textiles Ministry releases a list of labs equipped to conduct test and certification of PPE Body coveralls
- Cabinet approves Scheme for Formalization of Micro Food Processing Enterprises
- Fino Payments Bank to partner with NBFCs to source loans in rural areas
- ICICI Bank launches special FD scheme for senior citizens
- Edelweiss General Insurance launches pay as you go Motor OD floater policy
- ‘Tatpar’ Scheme In Ranchi To Transport Migrant Workers
- ‘Mee Annapurna’ – An Inclusive Program for Welfare of Farmers, Bhoomiputras Launched Across Maharashtra
- UP govt launches ‘Startup Fund’ to encourage youth for entrepreneurship
- Rajesh Goel appointed as director general of NAREDCO
- Thomas Thabane resigns as Lesotho’s prime minister
- Indian Steel Association names Dilip Oommen as next President
- Govinda Rajulu Chintala appointed NABARD chairman
- Former IAS Officer appointed as Chairman of J&K PSC
- Health Minister Harsh Vardhan participates in NAM Health Ministers’ meeting
- Ruskin Bond’s new book ‘Hop On: My Adventures on Boats, Trains and Planes’ released on his 86th birthday